Comments

• EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Yeah, not super surprising I guess. I was pretty offput by it happening without notice and the issues that came with the changeover (mostly fixed now).

With any big change I guess you'll always lose some to account/sign-in issues. Some to incompatibilities (Tapatalk, mobile, whatever). Some to not liking the new thing. And some because others left. :/

Clearly there are a lot fewer people posting since the changeover, which sucks.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    I find the change to using "Recent Discussions" (which seems to be the only way to find what's new in this new setup) severely decreases my own posting.

I'm kind of just...not grinning and bearing...more shrugging and passively using this new forum. I wouldn't say I hate it, but it hasn't done much for me.
  • uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager edited July 2017
    We expected some drop-off- ANY change would have resulted in that. That said, the forum traffic right before the changeover wasn't significantly higher than it is now, based on the metrics. It was so low we even debated getting rid of the forum entirely, as we weren't sure if it was even worth the amount of effort the migration required. And yeah, the migration was absolutely required, because the old forum software was causing the server to crash constantly.

Here's the rub- nobody really makes forum software anymore. All of the old forums are very long in the tooth, and support for them has dwindled. We chose Vanilla because it still has support, mostly due to the hosted version of the software (which we just can't afford), but even so, there aren't much in the way of theme choices and while a custom theme is something we're hoping to do eventually, it wasn't even something we would have been able to justify with pre-Vanilla forum traffic. We're hoping that the forum integration with the comments section of the main part of the site will draw more people in and entice current forum-goers to check out our content and comment on those threads. In the meantime, we're pushing ahead with the new theme for the main part of the site, and make the whole thing that much more community friendly.

We have more immediate improvements that we have planned for the forum, but it was imperative we got off of that software before E3. We just can't afford to have outages during the biggest event of the year for gaming.

It still amazes me that people think we are a console-centric site. The Console Gold years were over 13-14 years ago, and the news, reviews, and articles posted on the main site have tipped way more in the direction of PC gaming for years now. We just unveiled our second weekly podcast yesterday (Mana Drop, Joe's Hearthstone-centric podcast) and have recently revitalized the Gaming Trend podcast, which has been running for the better part of 6 years. Our tabletop gaming coverage has been going strong for years as well, with several reviews and even event coverage (Keith was at Origins recently). We've helped young writers start their careers and rejoiced when they've moved on to places like Games Radar, Kotaku, and Paste Magazine.

We very much want to foster more community here, but to be completely honest, the communities on Facebook, Twitter and Youtube have been outpacing the forums for some time. I'm working on more ideas for cross-pollination across the various channels, but decade-old forum software just doesn't have the capabilities we need going forward. This is still a volunteer operation, and we have a finite amount of resources. If there are better solutions out there for fostering an online community that forwards the site as a whole, we are open to them.

Mike Dunn
    Executive Producer & Editor-at-Large
    GAMING TREND

• Hrothgar
    Hrothgar
    GT Member
    I guess I was mostly surprised that people would rather just up and leave than post their complaints here. I certainly understand that it's impossible to make everyone happy with any solution.

We must have a different definition of community though. I engage with Gaming Trend through Facebook and Youtube, but it doesn't feel like a community. It feels like a somewhat more convenient way to access content that interests me.
  • uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager
    Hrothgar wrote: »
    We must have a different definition of community though. I engage with Gaming Trend through Facebook and Youtube, but it doesn't feel like a community. It feels like a somewhat more convenient way to access content that interests me.

And it absolutely is that for a lot people, but we get a lot of back and forth discussion via those channels as well (mostly Twitter, tbh). I also come from a marketing background and social media engagement is considered community engagement. Forums have largely been supplanted by social media and sites like Reddit and such.

Mike Dunn
    Executive Producer & Editor-at-Large
    GAMING TREND