[PS4, XBOX1, PC] Assassin's Creed Origins

farley2k
edited June 13 in Video Games
Thought this should have its own tread since it is coming out (relativity) soon, and unlike many other announced games there is actual game play footage!

Man I hope they can pull this off. Syndicate just a horrid mess but Black Flag was a lot of fun

20 Minutes of Assassin's Creed Origins

Comments

• 68 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • coopasonic
    GT Member
    EngineNo9 wrote: »
    I'll have to check out the parlour to see if they have improved that at all, though.

It's nice, but the dining room is really where it's at.

• coopasonic
    GT Member
    farley2k wrote: »
    Man I hope they can pull this off. Syndicate just a horrid mess but Black Flag was a lot of fun

I enjoyed Syndicate (Victorian England). Are you sure you aren't thinking of Unity (French Revolution). That was a mess.

Either way I am looking forward to more AC. Unity is the only one that really disappointed me. I still haven't finished it.
  • farley2k
    GT Moderator
    That might have been it. I mostly remember lots and lots of videos of graphics glitches.
  • farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Lots of details

• Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    I am so looking forward to this. The ancient Egyptian theme is really interesting and the fact that it is the developer of pirate AC makes this a must buy to me.
  • KronovanX
    GT Member
    I'm very much looking forward to this. Recently I replayed AC II and Brotherhood and played Revelations for the 1st time. Despite the annoying tower defense minigame in Revelations, I really enjoyed all 3 and had a hard time putting them down. I haven't played anything newer than those even though I own AC III.

I've learned through the tabletop miniatures and RPG campaigns I've run in recent years, that I prefer earlier historical settings. So I'm thinking this will probably grab me more than anything post Renaissance.
  • EngineNo9
    GT Member edited June 13
    This is the most I have been interested in an Assassin's Creed game in quite some time, but I think that is mostly because it looks more like a 3rd person Far Cry Primal than anything specifically AC.

I'll have to check out the parkour to see if they have improved that at all, though.
  • EngineNo9
    GT Member
    coopasonic wrote: »
    I'll have to check out the parlour to see if they have improved that at all, though.

It's nice, but the dining room is really where it's at.

LOL...I guess I've always been a bit of a foyer man myself. :lol:
  • jztemple2
    GT Member
    Well, I guess I'm going to get it anyway, since between AC and the Far Cry series Ubisoft has me in its power, but as I posted on another forum...
    However, ancient Egypt? Really? I was so, so hoping it was going to be New York City in the very early 1900s. Horses, early cars, early airplanes, Teddy Roosevelt, anarchists, JP Morgan, Tesla, Ida Tarbell, robber barons, subways, elevated trains, streetcars, early skyscrapers... damn, it would have been awesome.

I thought Syndicate was great, the best of the series so far. I was really hoping we'd be getting more technology into the game, not less.
  • Rumpy
    GT Member
    There have been references to an egyptian assassin as far back as AC2, so it sort of comes full circle.
  • farley2k
    GT Moderator
    After watching this...well I can wait for reviews. The animations just don't look good. Hopefully the "work in progress" message is true.

• farley2k
    GT Moderator
    7 Little Details Worth Noticing in Assassin's Creed: Origins

• jztemple2
    GT Member
    7 Little Details Worth Noticing in Assassin's Creed: Origins

I'm looking forward to Origins as another of the big open world games I prefer. I'm just hoping that my GTX 780/3GB is up to the task, I'm not looking forward to dropping several hundred bucks for a decent 1080 card.

• Purge
    GT Member
    Dammit. In.
  • jztemple2
    GT Member
    Interesting article over on PCGamesN, Assassin's Creed Origins has its sights set on The Witcher's RPG crown
    After playing nine Assassin’s Creed games, I felt confident that I knew what Ubisoft’s series of hooded stab-a-thons are all about. They are games about leaping stealth attacks, collecting icons, and climbing really tall buildings. But after playing four hours of Assassin’s Creed Origins, I find myself surprised to discover that I apparently did not know what the sacred building blocks of this series actually are. When Ubisoft Montreal promised to reinvent the series with Origins I was not expecting them to build The Witcher: Egypt Adventure. Yet here we are...
  • jztemple2
    GT Member
    And for a bit of fun, there's an update from the Ubiblog, Assassin’s Creed Origins – Tales from the Tomb Blends Comedy and Gameplay. Great little four minute video which mixes humor with some video clips.
  • uxFOOL
    GT Manager

Mike Dunn
    Executive Producer & Editor-at-Large
    GAMING TREND

• jztemple2
    GT Member
    uxFOOL wrote: »

Cool, will be reading and checking out the video. Any word yet of the PC specs?
  • uxFOOL
    GT Manager
    jztemple2 wrote: »
    uxFOOL wrote: »

Cool, will be reading and checking out the video. Any word yet of the PC specs?

Hit up Josh in the comments- if anyone knows it'll be him

Mike Dunn
    Executive Producer & Editor-at-Large
    GAMING TREND

• EngineNo9
    GT Member edited October 5
    Honestly watching that video up there it looks like Far Cry Primal 2 to me. Scouting camps, stealth, lions in cages, alarms, reinforcements, using your bird companion, hunting, crafting...it's just the New Ubisoft Game with elements of games like GR: Wildlands.
  • coopasonic
    GT Member
    Another site called it The Witcher: Egypt Adventure - that sounds bit strong.
  • EngineNo9
    GT Member
    coopasonic wrote: »
    Another site called it The Witcher: Egypt Adventure - that sounds bit strong.

Yeah, I have seen that mentioned several times. I'm not sure why they are all saying that...looks much more like the evolution of games Ubisoft has done many times before (albeit not in the AC games).
  • farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Yeah, I have seen that mentioned several times. I'm not sure why they are all saying that...looks much more like the evolution of games Ubisoft has done many times before (albeit not in the AC games).

Marketing. The Witcher is very well rated and the last few AC games have been less so. I think Ubisoft wants to get a connection with The Witcher built up in consumer's minds.

• farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Assassin's Creed Origins - Easy Allies Gameplay Commentary - gamescom 2017

• jztemple2
    GT Member
    And the Ubisoft blog has released the PC specs:
    MINIMUM CONFIGURATION

OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
    PROCESSOR: Intel Core i5-2400s @ 2.5 GHz or AMD FX-6350 @ 3.9 GHz or equivalent
    VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 or AMD R9 270 (2048 MB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0 or better)
    SYSTEM RAM: 6GB
    Resolution: 720p
    Video Preset: Lowest

RECOMMENDED CONFIGURATION

OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
    PROCESSOR: Intel Core i7- 3770 @ 3.5 GHz or AMD FX-8350 @ 4.0 GHz
    VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 or AMD R9 280X (3GB VRAM with Shader Model 5.0 or better)
    SYSTEM RAM: 8GB
    Resolution: 1080p
    Video Preset: High

And this was interesting too:
    In anticipation of the release of Assassin’s Creed Origins on October 27, the development team has released the official PC specs and system requirements (listed below). In order to learn more about the new features and development process for the PC version, we spoke to Jose Araiza, the producer responsible for coordinating with Assassin’s Creed Origins development teams around the globe.

“The PC platform overall is really important to us,” Araiza said, “that is why the PC version was developed in parallel with all the other versions by the main team in Montreal, in collaboration with our PC-dedicated team in Ubisoft Kiev. This approach was adopted while the game features were being designed, making PC and mouse-and-keyboard controls a full part of the equation from the get-go.”

This approach resulted in performance gains across the hardware spectrum. Players wondering if their machines will be able run Assassin’s Creed Origins well should know that while “using all the modern techniques,” Araiza says the team “worked very hard and were able to keep the minimum requirements to what they were on Assassin’s Creed Syndicate [two years ago]. This means that the range of supported machines is wider than ever.”

Those running on the minimum recommended hardware, Araiza says, will be able to run the game at 720p at 30 frames per second (FPS) using the game’s auto-detect presets. Meanwhile, players with more powerful PCs will, depending on their hardware, “have the possibility of running 4K at 30 FPS or higher, or running standard resolutions such as 1080p or 1200p at higher than 30 FPS.”

Additionally, Assassin’s Creed Origins uses a technique called dynamic resolution rendering on PC and other platforms. As Araiza explains, “dynamic resolution rendering is a technique we use to keep the framerate as close as possible to our targeted FPS at all times by adjusting the frame resolution on the fly, which in most cases will be invisible to the player. On PC, players can actually choose what baseline framerate they want to target: 30, 45, or 60 FPS. They can also select their maximum framerate between 30, 45, 60, or 90 FPS, or decide to completely uncap it.”

Customization plays a big role in ensuring PC players get the most out of their games, and Assassin’s Creed Origins will have standard industry customization options, as well as features new to Assassin’s Creed on PC, like built-in benchmarking and in-game performance analysis.

“The built-in Performance Benchmark will help players validate their tweaked settings, while the in-game Performance Analysis will allow them to profile how their hardware is performing using constant monitoring and tracking of their performance by our engine,” says Araiza. Furthermore, an in-game resolution multiplier will give players flexibility to tell the engine to render the game at higher or lower resolutions as they see fit.

• EngineNo9
    GT Member

Marketing. The Witcher is very well rated and the last few AC games have been less so. I think Ubisoft wants to get a connection with The Witcher built up in consumer's minds.

So is marketing and PR telling all of these gaming sites to compare AC: Origins to The Witcher 3? Because it's not in the public marketing that I see it coming from.
  • farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Perhaps I am a cynic but yes I think the marketing people at Ubisoft....guide...the people they let have preview time. I bet the demo areas are cut to make those aspects stand out, I bet they mention adjectives and keywords that compare it to The Witcher

But like I said I might be a cynic. :)
  • jztemple2
    GT Member
    Well, I'm excited about it. I didn't finish the last two AC games to their bitter ends but I did get several dozen hours of play out of each of them, and I love my open world games.

I'm also very happy that my GTX 780 and i7-4770K exceed the recommended specs. Not bad for a rig that is approaching its fourth birthday and hasn't needed a hardware update.
  • Knightshade_Dragon
    GT Manager
    Don't know if you guys spotted it, but Josh put together a great preview, along with an hour of gameplay:

http://www.gamingtrend.com/feature/previews/a-shadow-in-the-sand-assassins-creed-origins-preview/

Ron Burke
    Editor in Chief
    GAMING TREND

Xbox Gamertag: Gaming Trend
    PS4 Tag: GamingTrend

• Purge
    GT Member
    Excellent read.

Makes me want this game. I'm OK with the combat and mapping evolving. Sounds very ... Division-y.