No indicator of New posts at Forum/Category level

EngineNo9
EngineNo9

I noticed that there doesn't seem to be any indication that there are new posts in any category at the highest level of the forum hierarchy like there used to be.

No idea if this forum software allows it, but that would be nice since that's what determines whether I go into each category on a visit.

Comments

• uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager

Might I suggest the recent discussions view? i'll look into that, though.

Mike Dunn
    Executive Producer & Editor-at-Large
    GAMING TREND

• EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member

:/

• Isgrimnur
    Isgrimnur
    GT Member

Yes, but how do I get to the first unread post, or even the last post of the thread?

• uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager

@EngineNo9 said:
    I noticed that there doesn't seem to be any indication that there are new posts in any category at the highest level of the forum hierarchy like there used to be.

No idea if this forum software allows it, but that would be nice since that's what determines whether I go into each category on a visit.

Ok, I know this can be done and will try to make it part of the final theme we end up with

Mike Dunn
    GAMING TREND

• uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager

Actually, there is an indicator for new posts in the category view:

Mike Dunn
    GAMING TREND

• uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager

@Isgrimnur said:
    Yes, but how do I get to the first unread post, or even the last post of the thread?

I'm not seeing any special functionality for that in place or via any plugins. I'll keep looking, though. That may be one of the things that we aren't able to achieve parity on

Mike Dunn
    GAMING TREND

• EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member

@thFOOL said:

All that indicates is the last thread in that forum. It says nothing about their being new content since you last read it like the old forum software.

• naednek
    naednek
    GT Moderator

ya i use that option all the time. Reduces the amount of arthritis in my hands :P

• uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager

@EngineNo9 said:

@thFOOL said:

All that indicates is the last thread in that forum. It says nothing about their being new content since you last read it like the old forum software.

Actually, that is incorrect- it indicates that there is a new comment in that thread.

This is the closest thing to that functionality that this software provides.

Mike Dunn
    GAMING TREND

• JCC
    JCC
    GT Member

That will kill this forum for me. Too hard to keep up with discussions without it...

• Knightshade_Dragon
    Knightshade_Dragon
    GT Manager

@JCC said:
    That will kill this forum for me. Too hard to keep up with discussions without it...

Have some patience JCC -- we just launched and this isn't the final form. :)

Ron Burke
    Editor in Chief
    GAMING TREND

Xbox Gamertag: Gaming Trend
    PS4 Tag: GamingTrend

• uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager

I actually just found out that if you have been in a thread already, clicking on the thread link automatically takes you to the latest comment (as indicated by the #latest appended to the URL). I'm not sure how that is scoped (is it just latest? is it the latest I haven't read?) but I'll be watching that.

Mike Dunn
    GAMING TREND

• Knightshade_Dragon
    Knightshade_Dragon
    GT Manager

@thFOOL said:
    I actually just found out that if you have been in a thread already, clicking on the thread link automatically takes you to the latest comment (as indicated by the #latest appended to the URL). I'm not sure how that is scoped (is it just latest? is it the latest I haven't read?) but I'll be watching that.

See? Fixed already. There's a nice little "New" icon. :)

Ron Burke
    Editor in Chief
    GAMING TREND

• Knightshade_Dragon
    Knightshade_Dragon
    GT Manager

Mike's done some good work on the look and feel of the forum. Take another look and see if you see anything odd.

Ron Burke
    Editor in Chief
    GAMING TREND

• EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member

@Knightshade_Dragon said:
    Mike's done some good work on the look and feel of the forum. Take another look and see if you see anything odd.

It's definitely much improved already for readability in my opinion. Keep up the great work!

• Punisher
    Punisher
    GT Member

Just to be clear, there is no "unread posts" option?
    My normal workflow is to go to main page of forums, then click 'unread posts", then click the new button for each post I want to read, then click mark all posts as read.

This makes looking for new interesting posts painless for me since I don't have to manually go through all the forum posts.

• Punisher
    Punisher
    GT Member

Also, I had some severe lag between clicking post comment and the actual posting.. Several minutes at least.

• uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager

@Punisher by clicking on 'Recent Discussions' you can go to a flattened view of discussions of recent posts across all categories but there isn't a way that I know of to surface individual new comments in a view. You CAN mark all posts as read, though.

Also, it appears that the lag you experienced resulted in your comment being posted 4 times. If that happens again let us know and give any parameters (browser, OS, etc) that you can.

Mike Dunn
    GAMING TREND

• Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member

Is there a way to have the newest comments appear at the top of the thread (i.e. reverse the thread flow)?

This made browsing the old forum a lot easier for me.

• uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager

@Bullwinkle do you mean like on a per user configuration? I'll check.

Mike Dunn
    GAMING TREND

• Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member edited May 2017

Oh, yes. I wouldn't force that on everyone, though I can't imagine perusing without it.

For example, if I want to see the newest Farley post in "This is fun..." in Off-Topic, I have to go in, click on the last page and scroll down.

The first thing I see is a pic of John Kerry getting hit in the head with a soccer ball, which doesn't feel super relevant.

• Isgrimnur
    Isgrimnur
    GT Member

@uxFOOL said:

Excellent. Thank you.

• Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member

@Knightshade_Dragon said:

@thFOOL said:

See? Fixed already. There's a nice little "New" icon. :)

I see a "New" icon when I'm in the category, which is nice, but not on the category itself on the main forum page.

• uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager

@Bullwinkle It will take some customization to get the 'new' on there. Again, check out the 'Recent Discussions' link which flattens out the categories. I'm finding I'm using the category view less and less.

There is some additional functionality that might be helpful as well- you can customize notifications per category and thread.

As for reversing the order as a user preference, I'm not finding anything so far. Will keep looking.

Mike Dunn
    GAMING TREND

• Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member edited May 2017

I'd rather avoid "Recent Discussions" as it shows stuff from Political/Religious Nonsense that I have no interest in seeing. Not to mention other, less volatile categories.

Thank you. I know it must seem insurmountable to iron out all the wrinkles, but it is appreciated.

• uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager

@Bullwinkle said:
    I'd rather avoid "Recent Discussions" as it shows stuff from Political/Religious Nonsense that I have no interest in seeing. Not to mention other, less volatile categories.

Thank you. I know it must seem insurmountable to iron out all the wrinkles, but it is appreciated.

What if I could give you the ability to filter categories out of that view?

Mike Dunn
    GAMING TREND

• uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager

@Bullwinkle you can now hide categories in Recent Discussions - hover over the category in the sidebar on that view and you'll see a menu icon- click on it and select hide

Mike Dunn
    GAMING TREND

• uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager edited May 2017

You can also hide categories in the Categories view. You'll also get a link to view All Categories and Followed Categories so you can switch back and forth, unhide, etc.

Mike Dunn
    GAMING TREND

• naednek
    naednek
    GT Moderator

Much better now that it takes you to the last read post in a thread. Thanks for all the hard work. I know it's hard to match everyone's preferences. This probably solves a lot of the issues for most people.

• Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    uxFOOL wrote: »
    @Bullwinkle you can now hide categories in Recent Discussions - hover over the category in the sidebar on that view and you'll see a menu icon- click on it and select hide

It's okay for the time being, I guess. There are some threads that I still would like to see if there are new posts from but that I don't always feel like delving into at a given time.