iOS 11 will break thousands of games

Dante Rising
Dante Rising
edited April 2017 in Portable Gaming Apps
Many sites are already discussing this, but be aware that the upcoming major update to iOS is transitioning the OS to a 64 bit system. This will break numerous apps unless they are updated by the developer. Out of the titles I own, over 49 will break. Some are relatively high profile, such as Icewind Dale, Baldurs Gate, Waterdeep, Infinity Blade, etc.

Ordinarily I trade in or sell my old iPad when I move on to the next one, but it looks like my iPad 12.9" will become my legacy console, as many of my older games will most likely not be updated by the developers. You can tell which apps will break by going into settings->general->applications

And BTW, don't be angry with Apple, as developers were given years of warning that the transition was coming.

Comments

• Victoria Raverna
    Victoria Raverna
    GT Member
    I checked my ipad. While most of the apps and games are those that I can do without, I'm surprised that games that are not going to run without update on ios 11 include FTL.
  • MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    on 1491966635:

Out of the titles I own, over 49 will break.

How does one go about finding out which are which?
  • Victoria Raverna
    Victoria Raverna
    GT Member
    on 1492214923:

on 1491966635:

Out of the titles I own, over 49 will break.

How does one go about finding out which are which?

If you run the apps that will be affected using latest iOS (10.3 or newer), it'll tell you that the applications won't run in future iOS version.

But easier way instead of running one app at a time to find out is to open the about page in settings then click on the line that show how many applications are installed on the device. If you have any application that will stop running, that'll open the list of apps that will be affected. If you don't have any 32-bit apps, then clicking on the applications line will not open anything. BTW, this will only show the apps that are installed on the device that'll be affected, not all apps that you own.
  • MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    Thanks!

Looks like I fall into the camp of "not able to click on it" so it would seem I have no 32bit apps installed.