Gravel [PC/PS4/XB1] - it's like a discount DiRT! (seriously)

EngineNo9
EngineNo9
edited March 2017 in Video Games
It looks like Milestone, the developer/publisher of the MXGP, Ride, WRC series' and other racing games, has decided to go directly head-to-head with DiRT 4 this summer with their own game Gravel.

Not a ton of details yet, but they mention "infinite races" in this this announcement trailer, along with "wide open maps" in the Cross Country mode. So hopefully that means something along the lines of the old MXvsATV maps with random checkpoint races.

This is also being built on Unreal Engine 4, just like MXGP3 coming in May, so that should give them a leg up when it comes to graphics and performance. That is something they've always struggled with when competing against Codemasters.

Gravel will offer an experience unique to its kind: Milestone’s pedigree in simulation is valued here with physics grounded in reality, but fun will be the main focus, among wild drifting on the different terrains, crazy jumps and impossible maneuvers.

The variety of powerful vehicles, from trophy trucks to rally legends, will offer many different approaches to the driving experience, and the wide offer of environments will have you strapped in for an unforgettable world tour.

Among deserts, jungles and snowy mountains you will have to shine in each and every discipline, whether it’s the wide open maps of the Cross Country or the narrow tracks of the Speed Cross. Become the ultimate Master or take part in some wild competition in the online game modes: Gravel will always have some fun ready for you!

MAIN FEATURES

The definitive off-road challenge: explore exotic locations, drive iconic vehicles in extreme conditions, defy the champions, and become the ultimate Offroad Master.

Gravel celebrates off-road racing by taking you to exotic locations around the world with some of the most exciting vehicles ever created. Become the Master in four exciting disciplines and be part of the greatest off-road competition ever seen, Offroad Masters: will you be able to #StealTheShow?

Unleashing the full power of Unreal Engine 4, Gravel bestows each location with an unprecedented level of detail and makes the competition fun for everyone: photorealistic graphics, dynamic time of day and weather system, accessible physics that can be enjoyed by everybody, breath-taking locations where the player can race at full speed rushing through forests, snowy mountains, dunes, deserts, impressive lighting and particle effects.

Comments

• EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    And they have released a video with some pre-alpha gameplay.

Looks like a pretty forgiving driving model, with several times getting pushed into a fishtail and recovering without much trouble.
  • jztemple2
    jztemple2
    GT Member
    Again, mildly interested depending on how the "infinite races" get incorporated.

I picked up Ride 2 from Milestone and while I think the physics are pretty good and the graphics nice, it does suffer from a lack of places to ride. What someone needs to do is combine bikes with something like Forza Horizon. Or maybe something like Gravel?
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    on 1488574024:

Again, mildly interested depending on how the "infinite races" get incorporated.

I picked up Ride 2 from Milestone and while I think the physics are pretty good and the graphics nice, it does suffer from a lack of places to ride. What someone needs to do is combine bikes with something like Forza Horizon. Or maybe something like Gravel?

Yeah, from what I can tell there aren't any bikes in this game, but who knows, they could announce those as well since they have that background. More likely a sequel or DLC thing, though, in this day and age.

As for places to drive, they had this to say in response to a Twitter question about whether it was all tracks (like that video) or what:

it's more environments than track, but there are also classic tracks. A mix, with some very huge environments
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    An interesting video talking about their tech changes on moving to Unreal Engine 4 (which they also used in the recent MXGP 3 to good effect).
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Here's a Gamescom trailer, which comes along with a date of "early 2018"
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    And finally some real gameplay of a full race in some sort of Australian quarry canyon at dusk. Graphically it isn't amazing, at least from what I can tell in a crappy YouTube video, but hopefully the gameplay makes up for that.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member edited January 11
    A new video shows off a bit about the game and some Porsche cars you can unlock for preordering:
    • Porsche 924 GTS Rallye car (with official liveries from 1981 and '82)
    • Porsche 959 Rallye car (with official 1986 livery)

The game is scheduled to come out on February 27, so still plenty of time to wait and see.
  • jztemple2
    jztemple2
    GT Member
    Looks decent. I checked the Steam forum for the game, wondering about a cockpit view, and the developer had posted in response that "It's absolutely in the works, with fully detailed cockpits". So it sounds good to me. Still, I'll want to see some "Let's Play" videos to see if they can make it a relatively serious sim. I'm not looking for massive simulation, but I'd like to stay away from it being too arcade-like., Does that make sense?
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    So this came out today, and like the impulsive attention starved monkey I am I bought it because it was on sale.

I have played four races (and replayed a couple of them), each with a different vehicle and so far I really like it! Very much reminds me of something like Dirt 2, not really simulation but a really good physics feeling arcade offroad game.

They're using UE4, similar to their MXGP and Supercross game, so it looks and runs great as expected.

So far I haven't really been too challenged by the AI, but I'm just in the introductory courses on default difficulty so I don't mind eeking out some first or second place finishes at all.
  • jztemple2
    jztemple2
    GT Member
    Are you using a controller or a wheel?
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    jztemple2 wrote: »
    Are you using a controller or a wheel?

I'm just using my wired 360 gamepad. I don't have a decent modern wheel so haven't tried that, but they did say it supports them:
    http://gravelvideogame.com/2018/02/27/supported-peripherals-list/
    Gravel is indeed an arcade experience that we created prioritizing a fun and immediate driving style, but the core physics are absolutely believable. That’s why we want you to have free choice in terms of peripherals with which enjoy this amazing off-road playground, whether it’s a standard gamepad (Xbox 360 controller is officially supported on PC) or a top-notch wheel and pedals. Here is a list of supported peripherals, with models and platforms on which they’ll work.

Logitech
    Logitech G29 – PS4, PC – Clutch / Optional H Gearbox / 900°
    Logitech G920 – Xbox One, PC – Clutch / Optional H Gearbox / 900°
    Logitech G27 – PC – Clutch / H Gearbox / 900°
    Logitech G25 – PC – Clutch / H Gearbox / 900°
    Logitech Driving Force GT – PC – 900°

Thrustmaster
    Thrustmaster TMX Force Feedback – Xbox One, PC – Optional Clutch / Optional H Gearbox / 900°
    Thrustmaster TX Racing Wheel Leather Edition – Xbox One, PC – Clutch / Optional H Gearbox / 900°
    Thrustmaster TX Racing Wheel Ferrari 458 Italia Edition – Xbox One, PC – Optional Clutch / Optional H Gearbox / 900°
    Thrustmaster TX Racing Wheel Servo Base – Xbox One, PC – Works with Clutch, H Gearbox / 900° Only base!
    Thrustmaster T150 Force Feedback – PS4, PC – Optional Clutch / Optional H Gearbox / 1080°
    Thrustmaster T150 Ferrari Wheel Force Feedback – PS4, PC – Optional Clutch / Optional H Gearbox / 1080°
    Thrustmaster T300 Ferrari Integral Racing Wheel Alcantara Edition – PS4, PC – Clutch / Optional H Gearbox / 1080°
    Thrustmaster T300 Ferrari GT3 Wheel – PS4, PC – Clutch / Optional H Gearbox / 1080°
    Thrustmaster T300 RS – PS4, PC – Clutch / Optional H Gearbox / 1080°
    Thrustmaster T300 Racing Wheel Servo Base – PS4, PC – Works with Clutch, H Gearbox / 1080° Only base!
    Thrustmaster Ferrari F1 Wheel Integral T500 – PS4, PC – Clutch / Optional H Gearbox / 1080°
    Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 Spider Racing Wheel – Xbox One
    Thrustmaster T80 Racing Wheel – PS4
    Thrustmaster TS-XW Racer Sparco P310 Competition Mod – Xbox One, PC – Works with Clutch, H Gearbox / 1080°
    Thrustmaster T-GT – PS4, PC – Works with Clutch, H Gearbox / 1080°
    Thrustmaster TS-PC Racer – PC – Works with Clutch, H Gearbox / 1080°

Fanatec
    Fanatec ClubSport Wheel Base V2.5 Servo EU – Xbox One, PC – Works with Clutch, H Gearbox, Handbrake/ 900°/ Optinal LED litghing (Only base)
    Fanatec ClubSport Wheel Base V2 Servo EU – Xbox One, PC – Works with Clutch, H Gearbox, Handbrake/ 900°/ Optinal LED litghing (Only base)
    Fanatec ClubSport Wheel Base V1 Servo EU – Xbox One, PC – Works with Clutch, H Gearbox, Handbrake/ 900°/ Optinal LED litghing (Only base)
    Fanatec CSL Elite Wheel Base EU – Xbox One, PC – Works with Clutch, H Gearbox, Handbrake/ 1080°/ LED litghing (Only base)
    Fanatec CSL Elite Wheel Base for PS4 – PS4, PC – Works with Clutch, H Gearbox, Handbrake/ 1080°/ LED litghing (Only base)

Steering Wheels Pedals List
    Thrustmaster – T3PA Addon – PS4, XONE, PC – Clutch
    Thrustmaster – T3PA-PRO – PS4, XONE, PC – Clutch
    Fanatec – ClubSport Pedals V3 EU – PS4, XONE, PC
    Fanatec – ClubSport Pedals V2 EU – PS4, XONE, PC
    Fanatec – ClubSport Pedals V1 EU – PS4, XONE, PC
    Fanatec – CSL Elite Pedals LC EU – PS4, XONE, PC
    Fanatec – CSR Pedals EU – PS4, XONE, PC
    Fanatec – CSR Elite Pedals EU PS4, XONE, PC

Steering Wheels Shifters List
    Logitech – Driving Force Shifter – PS4, XONE, PC – H gear
    Thrustmaster – TH8A Add-On Shifter – PS4, XONE, PC – Clutch
    Thrustmaster – TH8 RS – PS4, XONE, PC – Clutch
    Fanatec – ClubSport Shifter SQ V1.5 EU – PS4, XONE, PC – Clutch

Steering Wheels Shifters Handbrakes
    Fanatec – ClubSport Handbrake – XONE, PC

Steering Wheels Shifter Rims
    Thrustmaster – 599XX Evo 90 Wheel Add-On Alcantara Edition – PS4, XONE, PC
    Thrustmaster – TM Leather 28 GT Wheel Add-On – PS4, XONE, PC
    Thrustmaster – Ferrari GTE Wheel Add-On Ferrari 458 Challenge Edition – PS4, XONE, PC
    Thrustmaster – Ferrari F1 Wheel Add-On – PS4, XONE, PC
    Thrustmaster – T500 RS Removible Wheel Kit – PS4, XONE, PC
    Fanatec – All the different rims – PC
    Fanatec – Universal HUB XONE – XONE, PC
    Fanatec – CSL P1 – XONE, PC
    Fanatec – CSL P1 for PS4 – PS4, PC
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member edited February 27
    Oh, I forgot to mention that they have a PGR Kudos-like points combo system that gives you XP (I think?) for things like jumps, drifts, etc. Leveling up with that is what allows you to unlock new vehicle options to choose for races.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member edited February 28
    If you want to change difficulty and assists you can do so in a way similar to Forza and Dirt, and it gets you bonus XP:
    7EF27B61F1B020650200310A0D151CC1EDFD89E1

There are also familiar vehicle settings if you want to go into that depth of customization:
    EE57AF37BE70995E7C474FAEA5BEDBFD8E6A99EE
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    I am liking this game quite a bit. :grin:

Also, it looks like they put up a free demo on Steam, so you can check it out firsthand if you're not quite sure whether it's for you.
  • jztemple2
    jztemple2
    GT Member
    EngineNo9 wrote: »
    I am liking this game quite a bit. :grin:

Also, it looks like they put up a free demo on Steam, so you can check it out firsthand if you're not quite sure whether it's for you.

Hey, I'm busy with Into The Breach right now, but a demo is a great idea. Downloading now.