XBox Game Pass

Isgrimnur
Isgrimnur
edited February 2017 in Video Games
News

Today, we’re continuing our commitment to give you more options to diversify and expand your library of games with Xbox Game Pass, a new gaming subscription service coming later this spring. Xbox Game Pass gives you unlimited access to over 100 Xbox One and backward compatible Xbox 360 games – all for $9.99 per month.

With great games from top industry publishers such as 2K, 505 Games, BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment, Capcom, Codemasters, Deep Silver, Focus Home Interactive, SEGA, SNK CORPORATION, THQ Nordic GmbH, Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and Microsoft Studios, there’s something for everyone to enjoy and you will always find something exciting to play across a variety of genres. Some of the fan-favorite titles coming to Xbox Game Pass when it launches to the broader Xbox community later this spring include Halo 5: Guardians, Payday 2, NBA 2K16 and SoulCalibur II.

One of the best things about Xbox Game Pass is that you can discover and download the full titles directly on your Xbox One. That means continuous, full-fidelity gameplay without having to worry about streaming, bandwidth or connectivity issues. In addition, all Xbox One games in the catalog – and related add-ons – will be available to purchase at an exclusive discount for Xbox Game Pass members, so you can make the games you love part of your permanent library to play whenever you want. Every month new games will cycle into the subscription with some cycling out, giving you a constantly-updating library of games. Xbox Game Pass is your ticket to endless play.

So it's like Netflix streaming in that it will roll off when I'm 1/3 of the way into it. Great.

Comments

• EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    An interesting proposition. As usual the success of it will depend a lot on the content they make available, and whether that's all appealing and feels like a deal.

on 1488311478:

So it's like Netflix streaming in that it will roll off when I'm 1/3 of the way into it. Great.

Yeah, hopefully they have a system-wide implementation to let you know in plenty of time before a game is cycled out. Probably not, but a week's notice would be nice.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member edited June 2017
    It's been a while since we talked about this, and since then it has launched and seemingly solved the issue of games not really cycling out (at least for now) similar to the EA Access library.

They have just announced the new games coming in July:
    • Dead Island Definitive Edition
    • Resident Evil 6
    • F1 2015
    • The Flame in the Flood
    • Guacamelee: Super Turbo Championship Edition
    • Bard's Gold
    • Monaco: What's Yours is Mine (back compat 360 game)

Or I guess if you need it in video form:
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member edited June 2017
    Oh, and here are all the games that were already in the list:
    Xbox One
    • Blood Bowl 2
    • The Book of Unwritten Tales 2
    • Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
    • D4: Darks Dreams Don't Die
    • Defense Grid 2
    • Devil May Cry: Definitive Edition
    • Electronic Super Joy
    • Farming Simulator 15
    • Gears of War: Ultimate Edition
    • The Golf Club
    • Halo 5: Guardians
    • Halo: Spartan Assault
    • IDARB
    • JumpJet Rex
    • Knight Squad
    • Kyub
    • Layers of Fear
    • Lumo
    • Mad Max
    • Massive Chalice
    • Max: The Curse of Brotherhood
    • Mega Coin Squad
    • Mega Man Legacy Collection
    • NBA 2K16
    • OlliOlli
    • Payday 2: Crimewave Edition
    • Pumped BMX+
    • Resident Evil 0
    • Roundabout
    • Saints Row IV: Re-elected
    • ScreamRide
    • Shantae and the Pirate's Curse
    • Steredenn
    • Strider
    • Sunset Overdrive
    • Super Mega Baseball: Extra Innings
    • Super Time Force
    • The Swapper
    • Terraria
    • WWE 2K16

Xbox 360 (with backwards compatibility for Xbox One)
    1. A Kingdom for Keflings
    2. A World of Keflings
    3. Age of Booty
    4. Alex Kidd & Co. (Sega Vintage Collection)
    5. Banjo-Kazooie
    6. Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
    7. Banjo-Tooie
    8. Bionic Commando: Rearmed 2
    9. BioShock
    10. BioShock 2
    11. BioShock Infinite
    12. Borderlands
    13. Bound by Flame
    14. Braid
    15. Capcom Arcade Cabinet
    16. CastleStorm
    17. Comic Jumper
    18. Comix Zone
    19. Dark Void
    20. De Blob 2
    21. Defense Grid
    22. Dig Dug
    23. Double Dragon Neon
    24. Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara
    25. Fable III
    26. Final Fight: Double Impact
    27. Flock
    28. Galaga Legions DX
    29. Gears of War
    30. Gears of War 2
    31. Gears of War 3
    32. Gears of War: Judgment
    33. Golden Axe (Sega Vintage Collection)
    34. Grid 2
    35. Hexic 2
    36. IDARB
    37. Iron Brigade
    38. Jetpac Refuelled
    39. Joe Danger: Special Edition
    40. Joe Danger 2: The Movie
    41. Joy Ride Turbo
    42. Kameo
    43. King of Fighters '98: Ultimate Match
    44. Lego Batman: The Video Game
    45. The Maw
    46. Metal Slug 3
    47. Monday Night Combat
    48. Ms. Splosion Man
    49. MX vs. ATV Reflex
    50. N+
    51. Neo Geo Battle Coliseum
    52. Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising
    53. Pac-Man CE DX+
    54. Pac-Man Museum
    55. Perfect Dark Zero
    56. Sacred 3
    57. Sam & Max: Beyond Time and Space
    58. Sam & Max: Save The World
    59. Samurai Shodown II
    60. SoulCalibur
    61. SoulCalibur II HD
    62. Spelunky
    63. Splosion Man
    64. Stacking
    65. Streets of Rage (Sega Vintage Collection)
    66. Tekken Tag Tournament 2
    67. Toy Soldiers
    68. Toy Soldiers: Cold War
    69. Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown
    70. Viva Pinata
    71. Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise
    72. XCOM: Enemy Within
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member edited July 2017
    More games coming in August:
    • DiRT Rally
    • Dead Rising 3
    • Limbo
    • Metal Slug XX
    • So Many Me
    • Ultratron
    • Pharaonic
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    It looks like Microsoft wants to draw even more players to this program, as they are soon going to be bringing newly released games to the Xbox Game Pass.
    Moving forward, we plan to release all new Xbox One exclusive games from Microsoft Studios into Xbox Game Pass on the same date as their global release. This means that when Sea of Thieves launches on March 20, it will be included in Xbox Game Pass to all members.

This plan to bring new games timed with their global release into Xbox Game Pass not only includes announced titles like Sea of Thieves, State of Decay 2 and Crackdown 3 but future unannounced games from Microsoft Studios including new iterations of our biggest Xbox One exclusive franchises such as Halo, Forza and Gears of War, on the same day they launch.

More info here, including about new 6 month subscription cards:
    https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/01/23/xbox-game-pass-expands/

• EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    And here it is in video form if you hate reading:

• Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    This did finally get my interest up for the program, though I still don't know if it's for me.

My biggest problem with Game Pass is when I look at the list of games available, I either have them or don't have a lot of interest.

Adding games I don't have on release day seems like a draw, but how long will they stay in rotation? I take a long time to play through some games. I would hate to have it just disappear from the list while I'm in the middle of it. I suppose the game might be available for purchase at a reduced rate, eventually, though.

On paper, it's $120 for a year of new Xbox exclusives and many other games. Even if there are only 2 exclusives a year, it's a break even deal.

Clearly, I'm hemming and hawing here...
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member edited January 24
    Also of note (and sweetening the pot) was this from Aaron Greenberg, head of Xbox Games Marketing:
    Yes if the title is Xbox Play Anywhere you can play the PC version too if you are a Game Pass member.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Is anyone using this? Impressions?

How long do the titles typically stay on the service?
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    I have not. I *know* I'm going to buy both Crackdown 3 and Sea of Thieves, but since I have an MSFT Friends and Family pass (where they'll likely be 40CAD for the premium editions) it's not worth it.

My backlog of shame is huge and a lot of what I'd want to play in GamePass I already own and is collecting figurative dust on my virtual shelf.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member edited January 24
    Bullwinkle wrote: »
    Is anyone using this? Impressions?

How long do the titles typically stay on the service?

I think almost all of them have been staying in the program indefinitely, with a few higher profile ones rotating out.

Actually, from searching around online nothing had been removed except MGSV and WWE 2K16 leaving at the end of this month. And according to this GameSpot article the date limitation on Metal Gear was mentioned when it was added: https://www.gamespot.com/articles/two-xbox-one-games-will-be-removed-from-xbox-game-/1100-6456271/

• Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Hmm. That might help in the decision.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Several games have been added since we last updated this thread, but here are the ones that are being added in May:
    • State of Decay 2
    • Pro Evolution Soccer 2018
    • Laser League
    • Overcooked
    • The Escapists
    • Homefront: The Revolution
    • Unmechanical: Extended
    • Sonic & Knuckles

And they still have the first month for $1 if you just want to play State of Decay 2 at launch without buying it (but you're a monster if you don't just buy it!).
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    State of Decay 2 may be the one that gets me to sign up. I thought it was going to be Sea of Thieves, but no.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Does anyone know if the current $1 for the first month deal still gives you a 14 day trial?
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    It looks like it replaces the 14 day trial. It's a limited offer though:
    Game Pass discount offer not valid for existing subscribers. Offer valid 4/26/18 – 5/8/18
    I guess you can wait a couple weeks and see what happens after.

I did the trial for sea of thieves, then predictably forgot to cancel. Cancelled 2-3 days after the first month was billed and was refunded the $10 without even having to ask. I thought that was nice.