farley2k
edited January 2017 in Off-Topic
Officially named. Coming December 15, 2017

hklijeizurmpwo0uym7p.png

Comments

• Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    I'd been worried about this title, but I really like it. Simple and descriptive.

However, it made me suddenly realize that if Luke dies at the end of this film, that's going to be really, really sad given the reality of losing Carrie Fisher.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Ep 9 title revealed as well!

Mg6Q7Z5.png
  • Punisher
    Punisher
    GT Member
    on 1485354742:

Ep 9 title revealed as well!

Mg6Q7Z5.png

OK. That is funny...
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Star Wars: The Last Jedi Is Totally Plural (If You're Bilingual)

Following on the heels of revealing Rey’s new hair on an empty box, another Star Wars: Episode VIII mystery has been answered—namely, whether The Last Jedi refers to a single Jedi or a group of Jedi, since both the singular and the plural form are “Jedi.” The solution comes to us via the release of several foreign-language titles for the film.

The French title for the movie has been revealed as “Les Derniers Jedi,” which is, in case you don’t speak French, absolutely means “The Last Jedi (plural).”

The same is true for the title in Spanish:

And German:

Thank you, other languages who modify their adjectives to distinguish the quantity (and gender) of the nouns they’re modifying!
  • OrangeKyle
    OrangeKyle
    GT Editor
    I'm hoping Rey will build herself a double-bladed lightsaber to have something that will feel more like the staff she's used to.

I'm also hoping the movie will make better use of Captain Phasma than Episode 7 did. And it would be nice to learn a little more about Snoke and the Knights of Ren.

But I'm kind of dreading this movie because I'll probably cry when Leia appears. Carrie Fisher's death still doesn't quite feel real to me. I think it'll hit me when I see her on the screen, knowing it's the last time.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    zhRkEPc.jpg
  • OrangeKyle
    OrangeKyle
    GT Editor
    Man, what a Joker! :icon_lol:
  • EddieA
    EddieA
    GT Member
    on 1488295042:

Man, what a Joker! :icon_lol:

A bit of a Trickster, too.
  • Isgrimnur
    Isgrimnur
    GT Member
    ceLCEK9.jpg

on 1492186161:

Last Jedi Teaser

Potential spoilers forewarning

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    I expect it will be good but that trailer did nothing for me. No action I was impressed with, no detail I thought was interesting, nada.
  • whiteboyskim
    whiteboyskim
    GT Member
    The one thing that got me was Luke's line at the end. That's a seriously different direction for him than what I was expecting. Frankly, it makes him more interesting because I don't think it's just that he has doubts.
  • Dante Rising
    Dante Rising
    GT Member
    Which movie have all of you preferred from the two newest in the series? And have those two movies made you more or less excited for the next movie? For me Rogue One was superior, but even then I found myself not caring much for the universe. I spent some time trying to figure out why, and I think it comes down to the casting. I am just not impressed with their choices, especially for the lead female characters. To me their choices are almost as bad as little Anakin Skywalker- not as cringe worthy, but they just don't fill the shoes of the role well. Some other points:

-Carrie Fisher was horrible. Horrible. I liked her in the original movies, but in these newest films she is completely wooden and monotone. The princess and Han had no chemistry, good or bad, in the new film.

-Kylo Ren was far too emo, too angsty, and too stilted once the mask comes off his face. And the fact that he can't find a way to eliminate Rey when she escapes, a person that never held a sword before, really got under my skin. But of course she learned to use the force faster than anyone in history ever, so maybe it isn't his fault.

-Will a proper villain please stand up. Please stand up. Darth Maul was better than anything in these new movies, and they killed him far too early in the previous series, IMHO.

By no means are they bad movies, but I preferred the Star Trek reboots. I hope the newest movie has a better villain and a better plot. I'm eagerly looking forward to Mark Hamill returning. He was my least favorite character in the original series. I thought his acting was poor. But as he has aged, he has become more comfortable with himself.
  • Turtle
    Turtle
    GT Member
    I think you're giving Darth Maul way too much credit. He wasn't a character, he was a vehicle for a dual bladed lightsaber.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    I disagree with nearly everything you've said, DR.

I think these 2 new films will age better than the Trek films. I think the female characters have been great. I thought Carrie Fischer's tone was perfect for the emotional state the character was in, and her strained yet lingering connection to Han was apparent in their interactions. I thought Force Awakens was a stronger film overall, but that Rogue One had a killer ending that elevated the sloppy first half. I did think Kylo Ren was too emo, but further viewings have shown the value of that (and how relevant it is to today's clinate). I think he and the other villains were just laying the groundwork and that real payoffs are yet to come.
  • SkyLander
    SkyLander
    GT Member

Best review/in depth view of The Force Awakens.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Just watched the trailer again, and an idea struck me.

When Rey says "The Balance," we get a shot of a symbol (that looks a bit like the rebel symbol, in blue and gold). Of course, there's no guarantee that the words and the symbol go together, but it seems like they do. I'm wondering if that isn't a much more important symbol than the trailer leads you to believe.

Throughout the series, we've heard about the Balance of the Force (hello episode IX title), and a bit about the Chosen One who might bring it. So what if Rey is not actually going to be a Jedi (making Luke the last one, I guess), but not a Sith, either. Instead, she's going to be something new that's a fusing of both. A Jethi, or whatever (or maybe a Whill, since there's precedent for that). Literally an entity that has the balance of good and evil within her.

I actually looked up "the Whills" to make sure I was spelling it right and stumbled on this quote from the Force Awakens novelization:
    "First comes the day
    Then comes the night.
    After the darkness
    Shines through the light.
    The difference, they say,
    Is only made right
    By the resolving of gray
    Through refined Jedi sight."
    ―Journal of the Whills, 7:477

For those that don't know, Lucas was originally going to use The Journal of the Whills as a plot device to connect Star Wars to the real world (I really hope they don't do that).

The more I think on this, the more I think there's something here. I may not have it exactly, but I'm feeling like the ingredients are there.
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    on 1492337127:

I think you're giving Darth Maul way too much credit. He wasn't a character, he was a vehicle for a dual bladed lightsaber.

I think you think he died in Episode One. ;)
  • Turtle
    Turtle
    GT Member
    on 1492443545:

on 1492337127:

I think you think he died in Episode One. ;)

I think that people put too much stock into the retconning of a kid's cartoon. It may be canon now, but it wasn't until very, very late that they retconned him being back alive in the cartoon. It also doesn't really change the fact that on the big screen that most people will only see, he was a wasted pointless character that didn't have any depth beyond lightsaber conveyor.

It's like the Halo books. Halo's plot to this day is absolute garbage. Doesn't matter if the books exist if the main platform for them does a piss poor job of conveying anything.
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member

The storytelling in "a kid's cartoon" is head and shoulders above Episode I, II and III IMO, and I disagree that the Season 4 closer out of a 6 seasons isn't very, very late.

That said, Maul is ...

... a significant character even in the current Rebels.

He is a fantastic Sith-cut-loose contrast to Ahsoka Tano's Jedi-cut-loose.

The Clone Wars and Rebels help further illustrate the grey nature between the balance of light vs dark. and I'm pretty OK with including Maul in that. Feel free to disagree, but for me until Vader's scene at the end of Rogue one (IMO the only scene of real significance ), the cinematic presence of Darth Maul was more malevolent and visceral. He was an unstoppable beast and one of the few reasons to watch Episode I.

His display may be a sign of the times, but both held up to current light Vader had more screen time and less ... punch?

Further to the "too much stock" there have been references to Rebels in Rogue One and events in each affect each other (Thrawn's victory over the rebels is reputed to be a motivating factor in why the Rebellion do not trust Jyn at her word).

Even if Ray Park's character was cut and tossed away, perhaps him being significant in two parts is a way to bring things together. ;)
  • Punisher
    Punisher
    GT Member
    on 1492202439:

The one thing that got me was Luke's line at the end. That's a seriously different direction for him than what I was expecting. Frankly, it makes him more interesting because I don't think it's just that he has doubts.

My son and I talked with some people at Celebration and one thing I mentioned is that the scene where Luke says that may be at the very beginning of the movie.. Something along the lines of Rey asking to be trained and Luke wants nothing to do with it. Either to give Rey a chance to convince him otherwise/restore his faith or to have her go towards a balanced Force user. I know that was in the EU books.. I think Jacen Solo found groups of Force users who didn't believe in Light/Dark Force, just the force..
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    It looks like Snoke's identity has been confirmed.
    18425181_1385941344784905_3593019972675750486_n.jpg?oh=afcd405eae5856aad638ac67c75e3715&oe=598266D7

• Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    In case you hadn't seen it ...

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    55ZnWvo.jpg
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    ... and now the Last Jedi:

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    So the challenge is to find the 4bit version!
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Mark Hamill Has a Big Issue With Luke Skywalker in The Last Jedi

Likewise, after reading Rian Johnson’s script for The Last Jedi, Hamill said, “I at one point had to say to Rian, ‘I pretty much fundamentally disagree with every choice you’ve made for this character. Now, having said that, I have gotten it off my chest, and my job now is to take what you’ve created and do my best to realize your vision.’

Hamill noted that he has the utmost respect for Johnson and The Force Awakens’s director, J.J. Abrams, and is pleased with how both films have turned out. He just wanted to be heard.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    When will we get a new Star Wars: The Last Jedi trailer? Rumours says there's one coming very, very soon

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We confirmed with a long time source that <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TheLastJedi?src=hash">#TheLastJedi</a>; trailer is indeed coming on October 9. Mark your calendars. Only 2 weeks to go!!! :) <a href="https://t.co/9CeCpIlQFI">pic.twitter.com/9CeCpIlQFI</a></p>&mdash; SWNN (@StarWarsNewsNet) <a href=" 26, 2017</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
  • naednek
    naednek
    GT Moderator

World Premier Trailer.

Tickets purchased
  • uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager
    FANTASTIC. Tix purchased as well

Mike Dunn
    Executive Producer & Editor-at-Large
    GAMING TREND

• Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    Man, that trailer looks utterly fabulous. I am so ready for this movie.