Games finished 2017 edition

edited December 2017 in Video Games
Let's all happily put 2016 in the rearview and get 2017 started. I played everything under the sun in 2016, but actually finished very few games. We'll see if this year fares any better.

- Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood. A - This one will likely just be ongoing for the next couple years. Get to the end of the story, grind for gear, wait for next patch/expansion. Rinse, repeat. (all the hours)
- Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (3DS) - February 6 - A. I technically "beat" this last year, but have gone back through and beaten the "Ultimate Score" for every song and unlocked every character. Now it's finished. :) (60 hours)
- Nier Automata (PS4) - March 28 - A-. I finished the first two endings, and started the third. Enjoyed it, but it hasn't quite blown me away yet like the previous game did. Will keep going for the other 4. (28 hours, so far)
- Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4) - April 4 - A++++. I never expected to enjoy this, and came away completely thrilled with it. Possibly my favorite game of this generation, so far. Incredible world, an amazing heroine, a brilliant story, and engaging combat. Just stellar all around.
- Gridiron Solitaire (PC) - April 23 - B+. A wholly engaging game of football, played via solitaire. It gets dinged a point or two for some wonky AI, but a hell of a lot of fun. Played through a full season (13-2) and won the GFL cup. 23 hours.
- Dreamfall Chapters (PS4) - May 15 - B+. A wonderful story with amazing dialog and incredible voice work. Unfortunately, it got bogged down by an absolutely awful engine. Still, it was a very satisfactory ending to a series I started nearly 20 years ago. 20'ish hours.
- Nex Machina (PC) - June 30 - B+. Robotron meets Smash TV meets current-gen graphics. A chaotic blast.
- Guild Wars 2 (PC) - Sept 28 - A. Finished the base game with a Revenant. Lots of fun, even if the game seems to go out of it's way to be obtuse and difficult to figure out. After 80 hours, I'm still not sure I really know how to play my class. Oh well, it's still fun. On to HoT and PoF, eventually.
- Y's VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (PS4) - Nov 14 - A=. Far more fun than I ever would have expected. Excellent combat, interesting story, likeable characters, fun exploration, and wonderful music. A total surprise, but a very welcome one. 37 hours.
- Valley (PC) - Dec 5 - A. An absolutely amazing journey matched with incredible visuals and a fantastic story. Came completely out of left field and I totally loved it. 5 hours.
- Madden 18 "Longshot" story (PS4) - Dec 23 - B+. Far more fun than I expected. While I usually just suck at Madden, playing through this story was a blast. Excellent digital acting and interesting characters really helped sell it. Doubt I'll spend much time with the rest of the game, but the story mode was worth the price of admission.

Currently Playing
- Everybody's Golf (PS4)
- Lineage 2 Revolution (iPad)
- FIFA 18
- Downward
- Tyranny

Played and Quit/Gave up on
- Dragon Quest VIII (3DS). Turns out my tolerance for old-school, grindy JRPG's is very low these days. Got about 15 hours in before getting bored.
- Neverwinter (PS4). While it's the best console MMO not named FF XIV, the end-game grind just isn't very fun in this one, and there's absolutely zero sense of community.
- Dragon Age Inquisition (PS4). Got about 50 hours in before wandering off to other things.
- Uncharted 4 (PS4). This series just does not click with me, at all. I just get bored every time, even though the productions values are off the charts. Around 8 hours.
- Zelda: BotW (WiiU). Couldn't hold a candle to Horizon Zero Dawn. Just seemed so dull in comparison, with no interesting story or characters to speak of. About 6 hours.
- Skyforge (PS4). Quite fun, actually, until I glanced at what it would take to actually advance. The grind was thanks. 12 hours.
- Personal 5 (PS4). Everything about this game just rubbed me wrong. The characters, the combat, the style, the story, I actively disliked all of it from the get-go. 4 hours.
- Mass Effect Andromeda (PS4). One of the worst beginnings to a game in recent memory. It got a little better once you get off the starting planet, but never really got into a good story groove like previous games. Got bored around 15 hours in.
- Elder Scrolls Online (PC). Grabbed the Morrowind expansion, which was pretty fun. May go back to it later in the year. 60 hours.
- Final Fantasy Tactics A2 (3DS). Got about 20 hours in before burning out.
- Pocket Card Jockey (3DS). Possibly the best $7 I've ever spent on a game. Amazing title that is an absolute blast. One of my favorite all-time handheld games, even if the RNG can get a little gnarly at times.
- Torment: Tides of Numeria (PS4). Too dense, too much detail, not enough space in my brain to have the patience with this.
- Everspace (PC) - Roguelike, in space. Sounded neat, was pretty boring in practice.
- Dragon's Dogma (PS4). Third time's The difficulty spikes in this game (even on Easy difficulty) are insane. I just don't think I have the patience for it. 12 hours.
- Divinity 2 (PC). Made it out of Ft. Joy, then stalled. The lack of any sort of instruction or direction on quests is infuriating and basically killed my interest to keep playing. 10 hours.
- Destiny 2 (PS4). Fun single player, but I'm not nearly good enough to be successful in an MP shooter. 20 hours.
- Culdcept Revolt (3DS). Alternately tremendous fun and 3DS-throwing frustration. Ends up being entirely luck-based, no matter how well you prepare your deck. AI almost never seems to land on your upgraded tiles, but I almost always land on theirs. Frustration won, in the end. 15 hours.
- Star Ocean The Last Hope (PS4). Decent combat and it looked good, but a boring story, annoying characters, and a host of minor annoyances kept it from clicking.
- Hand of Fate 2 (PS4). Interesting ideas, but it all felt so...small. Confined world, small battle arenas, everything felt claustrophobic.
- Icewind Dale (iPad). Got about halfway through before getting frustrated. Too difficult for me without cheats. 10'ish hours.
- Hellblade (PS4). A audio and visual masterpiece, but it's really just not terribly interesting once you get past the "wow" factor. Combat sucked, the puzzles weren't fun, etc. I got the final area and just wasn't all that interested in finishing it. 5 hours.
- NHL 18 (PS4). I'm not sure how they did it, but they found a way to make hockey boring. The stilted and awkward voice work and shoddy presentation didn't help much.

• TiLT
    GT Member edited December 2017
    After a slow first half of the year in 2016, I made serious effort to work on my backlog and managed to finish 31 games overall. In addition to regular games, some of them were in the form of major DLC content (ie. expansions), and some were in the form of shorter experiences such as VR.

Previous years:
    Games Finished in 2017

• Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare
    • Dishonored 2 - As Corvo. Non-lethal and never spotted.
    • Forza Horizon 3 - Finished the Final Showcase.
    • Frog Fractions - This one barely counts as a game, but I'm counting it and there's nothing you can do about it!
    • Little Nightmares
    • NieR: Automata - Endings A, B, C, D, E and K.
    • Pillars of Eternity
    • Pillars of Eternity: The White March - Parts 1 & 2
    • The Sexy Brutale
    • Shovel Knight
    • Torment: Tides of Numenera
    • Virginia

Oculus Rift
    • Batman: Arkham VR

• Firewatch
    • Horizon: Zero Dawn - Platinum trophy
    • King's Quest - Chapters 3, 4 and 5
    • The Last Guardian
    • Persona 5

• Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice DLC case

Wii U
    • Super Mario 3D World

• Super Mario Odyssey

• Persona 4 Golden - True golden end
  • biggercup
    2009: Total 41 games (also known as unemployed year)
    2010: Total 11 games
    2011: Total 15 games
    2012: Total 16 games
    2013: Total 15 games
    2014: Total 19 games (short one game from my goal..)
    2015: Total 24 games !!!!
    2016: Total 7 games ? busy working almost non stop:( no time to play:(

OK, no more buying games for a while, I need to tackle on the games that I have!
    My goal this year
    30 games !

1/9: Dead Rising (PC)
    1/14: Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris (PC)
    1/22: Grim Legends The Forsaken Bride (PC) LOL
    1/24: Strider (2014)
    1/29: Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (PS4)
    1/30: Trine Enchanted Edition (PC)
    2/12: SATAZIUS (PC)
    4/9: Pikmin (GAMECUBE)
    5/14: Halo Wars: Definitive Edition (PC)
    5/29: Pikmin 2 (Gamecube)
    6/1: Halo Wars 2 (PC)
    6/18: Torchlight (PC)
    7/3: Little Nightmare (XBOXOne)
    8/13: Torchlight 2 (PC)
    8/18: Dead Nation™: Apocalypse Edition (PS4)
    9/17: Duke Nukem Forever (PC)
    9/24: Zombie Shooter (PC)
    9/28: Lost Wind (PC)
    9/30: Sherlock Holmes and The Hound of The Baskervilles (PC)
    10/12: Evil Within (PC)
    10/18: Evil Within DLC (all Three) (PC)
    11/15: Evil Within 2 (PC)
    12/3: Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite (PC) Single Player
  • Andrew Wonser
    Andrew Wonser
    Legionwood 2 Rise of the Eternal's Realm - 1/6 (Try)
    Driftmoon - 1/09 (Try)
    G.I. Joe - 1/15 (Pass)
    G.I. Joe The Atlantis Factor - 1/16 (Pass)
    U.N. Squadron - 1/18 (Try)
    Donkey Kong Country 2 - 1/21 (Try)
    Resident Evil 4 - 1/23 (Try)
    Cognition An Erica Reed Thriller - 1/24 (Buy)
    Broken Age - 1/26 (Buy)
    Gone Home - 1/27 (Buy)
    Remember Me - 2/4 (Buy)
    Prince of Persia 2008 - 2/16 (Try)
    Lost Legends The Weeping Woman - 2/18 (Pass)
    Nihilumbra - 2/18 (Try)
    Small Town Terrors Livingston - 2/20 (Pass)
    Small Town Terrors Galdor's Bluff - 2/21 (Try)
    The Emerald Maiden Symphony of Dreams - 2/23 (Try)
    Small Town Terrors Pilgrims Hook - 2/24 (Try)
    Batman Arkham Origins - 3/13 (Buy)
    Living Legends The Frozen Fear Collection - 3/16 (Try)
    Mystery Masters Psycho Train - 3/17 (Pass)
    Enigmatis 3 The Shadow of Karkhala - 3/21 (Try)
    Mars War Logs - 3/22 (Try)
    Princess Isabella - 3/24 (Try)
    Princess Isabella Return of the Curse - 3/25 (Try)
    Demon Hunter 2 New Chapter - 3/27 (Try)
    Katawa Shoujo - 4/14 (Get)
    Fallout 3 Plus DLC - 4/16 (Buy)
    Ratchet & Clank Going Commando - 4/25 (Buy)
    Ratchet & Clank Up Your Arsenal - 5/1 (Buy)
    Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus - 5/7 (Buy)
    Sly 2 Band of Thieves - 5/17 (Buy)
    Sly 3 Honor Among Thieves - 5/28 (Buy)
    Alex Hunter Lord of the Mind - 6/15 (Try)
    Twisted Lands Shadow Town - 6/17 (Pass)
    Twisted Lands Insomniac - 6/19 (Try)
    Twisted Lands Origin - 6/21 (Try)
    Fear 2 - 6/30 (Buy)
    Her Story - 7/6 (Try)
    Batman Arkham Asylum - 7/3 (Buy)
    Thief Deadly Shadows - 7/17 (Try)
    Jotun - 7/20 (Try)
    Data Hacker Initiation - 7/28 (Try)
    Data Hacker Corruption - 8/6 (Try)
    Deadly Tower of Monsters - 8/12 (Try)
    City of Chains - 8/16 (Try)
    Bear with Me Episodes 1 & 2 - 9/3 (Buy)
    Full Throttle - 9/6 (Buy)
    The Dig - 9/12 (Buy)
    Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis - 9/18 (Buy)
    Day of the Tentacle - 10/08 (Try)
    The Raven Legacy of a Master Thief - 10/9 (Try)
    Technobabylon - 11/15 (Buy)
    Brink of Consciousness The Lonely Hearts Murders - 11/28 (Try)
    Weird Park Broken Tune - 11/29 (Pass)
    Weird Park Scary Tales - 12/2 (Pass)
    Weird Park The Final Show - 12/6 (Try)
    Ceville - 12/9 (Try)
    Haunted Past Realm of Ghosts - 12/10 (Pass)
    Fallen Enchantress Legendary Heroes - 12/20 (Try)
  • Caine
    GT Member
    My gaming time gets shorter, my gaming backlog keeps growing and apparently, I have the attention span of a blue tang. My games finished last year are too pathetic to mention, so I won't.

I am currently playing (with no promise or hope of finishing) the following:

Mafia 3 (already feeling the tedium set in now that the honeymoon phase is over)
    Just Cause 3 (re-purchased for the DLC I will likely never experience)
    Watch Dogs 2 (This one really feeds my gaming need to get distracted)
    Factorio (can one complete a game such as this)
    XCOM 2 (have not started, but given it's slow methodical nature, unlikely to be beaten this year or any other)
    COD Infinite Warfare (only game I have a slim chance of finishing due to the usual length of CoD campaigns)
    Titanfall 2 (see above)
    Rocksmith (I only aspire to be able to play a few songs to 90%)
    SteamWorld Heist (same rule as applied to XCOM)
    Hitman (just started, but a slow game experience so far)

Back burner with the slim chance of returning
    Deus Ex Mankind Divided (sadly, not as taken as I hoped)
  • EddieA
    GT Member edited January 1
    Games Finished
    Batman : The Telltale Series (PS4, Platinum Trophy)
    The Legend of Zelda : Twilight Princess Picross (3DS, 15 hours)
    Sky Crew (PC)
    Blackwell Unbound (PC) - 4 hours
    Mystika 3 (PC)
    Johnny's Payday Panic (3DS) - 15 hours
    Ratchet & Clank : Up Your Arsenal HD (PS3, 26 hours, 68% Trophies)
    Corridor Z (PS4) - 100% Trophies
    Pac-Man 256 (XBox One) - 22 hours, 900G
    Temple of Life : The Legend of Four Elements (PC)
    Clockwork Tales : Of Glass & Ink (PS4, Platinum Trophy)
    Dr. Cares : Pet Rescue 911 (PC)
    Crash Bandicoot (PS4, 81% Trophies)
    Dead Reckoning : Silvermoon Isle (PC)
    Adam Wolfe (PC) - 6 hours
    Imperial Island 3 : Expansion (PC)
    Halloween : Trick or Treat 2 (PC)
    Shred It (XBox One) - 1550G, 26 hours
    Picross e4 (3DS) - 22 hours
  • Scraper
    GT Member
    Games Finished:

Tell Tale's Batman (got the Platinum Trophy)
    Rise of the Tomb Raider
    Lego Ninjago Shadow of Ronin (Vita) (got the Platinum Trophy)
    Valkyrie Chronicles Remastered
    Far Cry Primal (PS4) (got the Platinum Trophy)
    Stories: Path of Destinies
    Tales of Zestiria
    Zelda Breath of the Wild
    Uncharted: Drake's Fortune Remastered

Games Playing:

Gravity Rush (Vita)
    Lego Star Wars the Force Awakens (PS4)
    Star Craft II: Wings of Liberty
    I Am Setsuna (Switch)
    Final Fantasy 15

Games Given Up on:

Grand Kingdom
    Titan's Souls

• shon
    GT Member
    Games Finished

Witcher 3: Hearts of Stone DLC
    Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
    Dishonored 1 and DLC
    Dishonored 2 - Low Chaos Run
    Ryse: Son of Rome
    Resident Evil 7
    Scanner Sombre
    Little Nightmares

Games Playing
    Witcher 3: Blood and Wine
    Far Cry Primal
    Zelda BOTW
    Horizon Zero Dawn

• Jumangi
    GT Member edited November 2017
    Watchdogs 2
    Battlefield 1
    Quantum Break
    Dishonored 2
    Gears of War 4
    Mass Effect: Andromeda
    Horizon: Zero Dawn
    Titanfall 2
    Just Cause 3
    Mafia III
    Assassins Creed: Origins

#Finished previous years

2016: 13
    2015: 15
    2014: 16
    2013: 17
    2012: 13
    2011: 15
    2010: 13
    2009: 14
    2008: 10
    2007: 11
  • Dante Rising
    Dante Rising
    GT Member edited November 2017
    Finished in 2017: (Ranked highest to lowest)

Shadow Tactics: Spectacular. (10/10) This is an isometric stealth and assassination game set in the time of the Samurai. Everyone should give it a test run ,especially if they enjoy the genre.

Horizon Zero Dawn (10/10) A spectacular game that does almost everything right. I would have loved a few more entertaining NPCs, but overall the story, mechanics, and pacing were best-in-class. Probably my game of the year.

Uncharted 4: (10/10) My game of the year (even though it came out in 2016). I enjoyed it more than Horizon ZD, as I am much more invested in the characters after 4 full games. This entry didn't break new ground, but the production values were through the roof and the story wraps up beautifully. The only downfall was the final boss battle quicktime event. Yuck.

Prey: (10/10) I loved this game from start to finish. Anyone who enjoyed Deus Ex, Bioshock, etc should give the game a test drive. Great story, interesting ability choices, and dozens of ways to play the game.

The Flame and the Flood (9/10 This is an indie rogue-like title made from some ex bioshock developers. MarkTwain sailing down the Mississippi coupled with a landscape after the collapse of civilization. Hunt, gather food and resources, fight the elements, and work your way down the river to find civilization. It is a small game, but brilliant.

Uncharted 4: The Lost Legacy: This was an excellent 6-8 hour long DLC to Uncharted 4. If you loved Uncharted 4, you will love this, as it is basically more of the same. Big explosions, Big set pieces,. The only thing I didn't like was that Nathan Drake and Scully where nowhere to be seen.

Banner Saga 2 iOS
    (9/10) Part 2 was even better than part one. This is easily my favorite SRPG on iOS.

Tyranny (9/10) I loved just about everything related to this title. I consider it to be one of the best CRPGs of the past several years. ALthough it is much more limited in scope than Baldur's Gate of Pillars of Eternity, I vastly preferred the tight storyline and world.

Walking Dead Season Two (my rating 8/10)

Batman: A Telltale Series (8/10) The storyline was well done, and they took some big leaps from the DC canon. Technically it was a little bit janky, but the characters more than made up for it.

Skulls of the Shogun: (7/10) This is a great little turn based strategy title that came out a few years ago. I'm surprised it took me so long to get around to it. Quite challenging on later levels, and the samurai+skeletons theme was very original.

Life is Strange: (7/10) A great game marred by a clumsy final chapter and significant overuse of the words "hella" and "for reals". Apparently peppering in things like that is this European developer's idea of how American college kids speak when trying to be cool. The game does have some touching moments, and is worth a playthrough, but I found it to be rough around the edges

The Sexy Brutale: (7/10) This game is a time loop murder mystery with great production values and a fine musical score. The story is also very well written, but the game derails in the timing of the way puzzles must be solved. Also, it is easy to become "lost", and uncertain where to go next. This is a GREAT game for people that are patient when it comes to solving puzzles. People easily angered by walking in circles should look for their entertainment elsewhere.

A Wolf Among Us (7/10) This is a solid entry in the Telltale series of games, but it is made much better if you have read the comic book series. The story is a murder mystery, and the lead characters are all well scripted. Things wrap up a little too quickly in the final act, however, and it spoils the ending somewhat.

2Dark: (6/10) This is a very morbid game from the creator of Alone in the Dark. You play a father trying to recover his abducted children in a town that is home to a series of serial killers. Yes, a series of them. The game had great potential, but was marred by cost overruns from the Kickstarter, and the control scheme was very poorly implemented. 10 levels were reduced to 6, so the story was butchered along the way. Everything felt rushed.

King's Quest: this is basically a Telltale game, but with more puzzles. Of the 5 episodes, 2 were absolutely outstanding, 1 was good, and two were horrible. The 4th episode is particularly poor, as you are basically trapped in a castle moving blocks around for the entire episode. What started out as a brilliant game devolved over time to become barely mediocre.

Firewatch: (6/10) Basically a walking simulator. The story needs to drive the game, and I felt that it didn't deliver. The voice work is excellent however, and the game is short enough where by the time you realize not much is happening, the game ends.

Currently Playing:

Witcher 3
    Yakuza 0

Gave Up On:
    The Last Guardian:
    sluggish controls and a wonky camera made for a frustrating experience, plus the lifeless world was rather boring
    Dragon Age 2: Dated. Uninteresting. Another game where I hated the camera.
    Inside: Side scrolling boredom. I enjoyed it for about an hour, but then realized that most of the puzzles were simply slight variations of one another. The game is beautiful and cryptic, but I wasn't willing to slog through it to see the ending.
    Yomawari Night Alone: I love horror games, but this one did little for me. Too light on the story, and the horror.
    Severed iOS a beautiful looking game from the creators of guacamole (sp?) but.....rather vapid. Taptaptaptaptaptaptap ... very little story. It got boring very quickly.
    Resident Evil Revelations PC this is a 3DS port that I hoped I would enjoy. Unfortunately, it is dated and rather uninspired. I suppose on a handheld it would have been more impressive, but on the PC it was simply outclassed by just about every other Resident Evil.
    Heroes of Normandie iOS A WWII strategy game with a great premise, but less tactics than I expected, and more RNG than needed
    The VoidThis is an obtuse Russian game, where color needs to be harvested for life, and you take part in a battle to save the sisters ("witches"). I couldn't get into the game because the instructions were vague, and the walking speed was so damned slow. Ugh.
    The Cat Lady: This is an adventure game about a woman who commits suicide, and makes a pact with "Death" to return to life and eliminate 5 people who prey upon others. The story was too dark and morbid for my tastes. Also, I was not fond of the controls (keyboard only) or presentation.
    Little Nightmares: Yawn. Another side scroller like Limbo. Good production values but minimal story, and repetitive.
    Full Throttle Remastered Tim Schaffer games apparently do nothing for me. Not funny. Not fun.
    Ratchet and Clank PS4: I should have loved this one, but the tie in to the movie brought it down. Got bored after 4 hours. The comedy fell flat.

Sword Coast Legends: Initially loved it, and then I just wasn't in the mood any longer. The game is solid, but I wasn't able to maintain my interest. Still, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to people that love CRPGs.
    Dog Mendonca This is an adventure game on iOS and Steam. Loved the comic, hate the game. HORRIBLE voice work coupled with beautiful art and an average story.
    République: I played the iOS version, which was marred by poor controls- NOT a good thing for a stealth game. Couple that with a threadbare story, and it becomes a pass for me.

Layers of Fear: A horror game that wasn't frightening in the slightest. Psychological horror with very little psychology. meh.

• whiteboyskim
    Very well, here goes:

Skyrim (PC)
    Skyrim SE (PS4)
    Just Cause 3 (PS4)
    Rise of the Tomb Raider (PS4)
    Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
    Shadow of Mordor (PC)
    Fallout 4 (PC)
    Arkham Knight (PC)
    DOOM (PC)

And that's going to do it for me for 2017. Don't think I'll start another title until next year.
  • Knightshade_Dragon
    GT Manager
    Finished in 2017:

Tyranny - I need to pick this up. It looks amazing, and your mini-review suggests that's true. :)

The Last Guardian - Wanna sell your used copy? ;)

I've been playing Superhot VR (I've been playing a lot of VR lately, actually) and it's pretty awesome. I feel like I'm in The Matrix movies (the good parts anyway). My only real complaint is that it's over too fast.

Ron Burke
    Editor in Chief

Xbox Gamertag: Gaming Trend
    PS4 Tag: GamingTrend

• Purge
    GT Member
    Just finished Rise of the Tomb Raider, and Ori and the Blind Forest. I'm close to finishing Ghost Recon, but I think I might just go back to it in November after Scorpio drops.
  • JoshDevlin
    GT Editor
    Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
    Wolfenstein: The New Order