New build. Thoughts?

Caine
Caine
edited December 2016 in Hardware / Software Hell
I finally pulled the trigger on a new PC. I've got a lot of use out of the Phenom CPU, but this year it really started to show it's age. Most games have run decently, but bog down when I try streaming them. Some can't be run with any thing else running or the game slows to a crawl, like Watch Dogs 2. Others simply don't run.

In any case, it was four years since the last refresh.

Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake Quad-Core 4.0 GHz LGA 1151 9

GIGABYTE G1 Gaming GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 (rev. 1.0) LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing RGB 240 Edition PWM AIO Tt LCS Certified Liquid Cooling System

GeIL EVO POTENZA 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000)

SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 250GB NVMe PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

It's all going in a Thermaltake F31 Suppressor case powered by an EVGA 750 watt PSU with a 2tb Firecuda for primary storage and a Samsung 500gb SSD for the extra push. I'll be keeping my current GPU, an R9 290 for now.

I was close to waiting for either Kaby Lake or Zen, but neither of those is expected on the shelf for a few months. Will I regret that? I was also considering the i6800k, but the extra cost and push for quad channel memory made it a little out of my cost comfort zone. As it is, I already have close to a $1k in this.

Comments