Worth changing from a 980 GTX to a 1080 GTX?

Greg Wak
Greg Wak
edited November 2016 in Hardware / Software Hell
Or kinda stupid. Hoping for a good price for Black or cyber day. I have a 4K monitor but haven't tried anything new on it yet. The charts seem to show about 20% or so. Just wondering what others think.

Comments

• EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    I guess it depends on your personal financial situation. To me it wouldn't be worth it, but I don't have a 4k monitor or the extra money to spend right now.

If you plan on doing 4k gaming with AAA first person shooters and such, then the extra speed (and probably more importantly more VRAM) is going to help you do that.

Note that these benchmarks are for the normal GTX cards, not the GTX Ti cards which are going to be a bit faster. If your current or expected card is a Ti, you can change it to that.
    http://hwbench.com/vgas/geforce-gtx-1080-vs-geforce-gtx-980

• Greg Wak
    Greg Wak
    GT Member
    That's a nice site for comparisons. thank you!
  • Zinfan
    Zinfan
    GT Member
    Yeah that's a pretty neat site for comparisons. I have a 980Ti and am happy with that, looking at prices it seems the 980Ti's are still pretty expensive when you can get a 1080 for just a little bit more, I figured the 980Ti prices would have dropped after the new cards hit the street.
  • MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    I was just wondering much the same thing now that the 1080Ti cards have been released and I've had my 980Ti for almost two years. Not like I "need" it but still... hmmmm...
  • Greg Wak
    Greg Wak
    GT Member
    Hey this section is alive!!! I'm very happy with my 1080, not so much that it's half price now, but that's the way of tech. Playing in 4k with maxed settings is very nice. Andromeda looked quite sweet, but then I discovered the dreaded DX bug and can only play in 1900 until EA fixes it.