Catch-All Nintendo Switch

Comments

• rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Cool that they finally announced D3 for the Switch:

http://gamingtrend.com/news/it-isnt-your-doom-its-your-destiny-with-diablo-iii-the-eternal-collection-on-switch-this-year/

But personally I would have preferred D2. D2 gets no love :(
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member edited August 17
    rittchard wrote: »
    Cool that they finally announced D3 for the Switch:

http://gamingtrend.com/news/it-isnt-your-doom-its-your-destiny-with-diablo-iii-the-eternal-collection-on-switch-this-year/

But personally I would have preferred D2. D2 gets no love :(
    The scuttlebutt a year ago per a Blizzzard job posting was that at some point a Diablo II "remaster" seemed in the cards.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/19/blizzard-seemingly-remastering-warcraft-3-and-diablo-2

To me it's tricky because none of the devs involved with the game are involved with Blizz anymore. After Gazillion/Marvel Heroes' meltdown, David Brevik is solo-dev'ing, including a side scroller on Steam. D2 has a certain alchemy, and I don't know if they can just staple-in high rez graphics and character models, and *poof*.

Doing it on Switch would also mean making D2 console controller friendly (which D3 already had per console version).

I'm a twin-stick shooter junkie these days. I wish something unique in that category came to Steam, might finally coerce me to get one. :)
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Just a couple minutes spent with Victor Vran last night. This is solely on the portable. I often forget the Switch can be used as a regular console.

Anyway, the controls thus far feel pretty good. Left stick for movement, right stick lets you rotate the camera. 3 main buttons for attacks, and the fourth for jumping. Dodging is a little awkward, requiring one of the shoulder buttons I believe. All in all it feels pretty much like an action game from a control standpoint, which is really good all things considered.

Graphics look pretty detailed to me, though the character seems a little too tiny for my taste. I don't know if there is a zoom function.

I played this a long long time ago on the PC, so I don't recall too much, but so far it seems like a really nice handheld ARPG to further whet your appetite for D3.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    A bit more followup on Victor Vran after beating the first boss. There's less loot focus so far than I like in my ARPGs, but I'm pretty early on. They do allow you to freely switch between two weapons, and that determines your main skills, so that's pretty cool. It definitely played out more on the action side when I made it to the first boss. It took me 4 or 5 tries to take him, and I had to level up, plus swap to a different weapon set to do it.

Load times are decent, and the game is nicely broken up so that you can drop in and out pretty freely, plus revisit old areas if you so choose. There also non-intrusive sub-goals in each area that give you minor rewards, such as break 100 jars or kill 50 skeletons. They aren't presented as direct quests so that's really nice, as you can choose to totally ignore them if you want or be super obsessive and do everything.

All in all it seems like a really good port, and it fits really well on a mobile system. Not having too much loot to deal with may actually be a good thing as I can imagine it might be a chore from a UI standpoint particularly on a small screen. It will be interesting to see how Blizzard handles it.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Prepare to get yourself some neato joycons:

l7le0ytsj8c1xpdrdzjk.png

ax4lnbyhx2qgjkm33odu.png

• EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    These are apparently the NES games that will come with the monthly online pass fee:
    • Ghosts ‘N Goblins
    • Double Dragon
    • Gradius
    • River City Ransom
    • Yoshi
    • Tecmo Bowl
    • Excitebike
    • Baseball
    • Ice Hockey
    • Pro Wrestling
    • Ice Climber
    • Legend of Zelda
    • Balloon Fight
    • Soccer
    • Tennis
    • Mario Bros.
    • Super Mario Bros.
    • Dr. Mario
    • Super Mario Bros. 3.
    • Donkey Kong

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Japan is getting a cloud based version of Assassin's Creed Odyssey on Switch
    Announced during Japan's Nintendo Direct tonight, Japan will be getting a cloud-based version of Assassin's Creed Odyssey for the Switch. Why this isn't coming West is anyone's guess, but it appears to be the game in its entirety streamed to your Switch via the magic of the internet. This will probably be similar to Resident Evil 7's Switch version that used similar technology.
  • EddieA
    EddieA
    GT Member
    A bunch of new Switch stuff was announced at the Nintendo direct on 9/13 - Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion 3, Town (a new RPG from the Pokemon creators), New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe, Katamari Damacy Reroll (remaster of the original game), and a bunch of Final Fantasy games (FF 7, 9, X/X-2, XII, and XV Pocket Edition are all coming to Switch, along with a deluxe version of World of Final Fantasy and remastered versions of Crystal Chronicles and Chocobo's Mystery Dungeon). Unfortunately, most of the stuff isn't out until next year.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    Diablo III Eternal Edition coming November 2.

Looks like I'll be purchasing D3 for the third time (PC, PS4, and now Switch) and likely FF VII for the sixth (PS1, PS3, PSP, iPad, PC, Switch).
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    I am both happy and sad that it is getting so many ports. I love some of these games but I want more new stuff!

Will I really triple dip into Final Fantasy 9?
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    I'm really excited about Diablo 3. As much as I've complained about some of the game design choices, I suspect a lot of them were made to make the game more suitable for console, and thereby even more suitable for portable console. Hoping this will be the perfect fit for the Switch.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Dark Souls: Remastered network test to be held on Switch this week
    Here’s the full rundown of times:

American Times

September 21 from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. PT
    September 22 from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. PT
    September 23 from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. PT

Europe Times
    September 21 from 19:00 to 23:00 CEST
    September 22 from 19:00 to 23:00 CEST
    September 23 from 19:00 to 23:00 CEST

Japan Times
    September 21 from 18:00 to 22:00 JST
    September 22 from 18:00 to 22:00 JST
    September 23 from 18:00 to 22:00 JST

During the test, players will be able to explore Undead Parish with access to single-player and multiplayer content.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    I messed around with the Switch Online library of NES games last night, spending most of my night playing Ice Hockey (skinny guy team FTW). Techmo Bowl just isn't the same without the player names. It's not something I'd pay per month for, but it was fun nostalgia trip for a night.

Am I understanding correctly that in order to play games online (Little B 9.6 likes to play Splatoon 2 sometimes), you now need to have a Switch Online membership?
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    Gratch wrote: »
    Am I understanding correctly that in order to play games online (Little B 9.6 likes to play Splatoon 2 sometimes), you now need to have a Switch Online membership?

Yes, just like xbox and playstation but cheaper.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    coopasonic wrote: »
    Gratch wrote: »

Yes, just like xbox and playstation but cheaper.

And much less feature rich... ;)
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    That's so cool looking but I can't think of a good excuse to get it lol. Can't they upgrade the hardware a little bit so I can justify getting a new one? Come on Nintendo! Just make something up like 2% faster graphics and I'll bite.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Yeah but they can't do that without fracturing the base. Suddenly game "X" will only run on the newer hardware or run better at least so people who bought the original will be annoyed and developers will have to try to weigh which platform to develop for.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    I'd love for them to sell that case by itself, as I'd grab it in a heartbeat.

But I know they won't. :(
  • Roman
    Roman
    GT Member
    I bit the bullet and sold the Switch last week. Just couldn't see any more use from it. Beat Zelda and it was good - bought the expansion and then realized I just didn't care all the much to continue the game.
    I bought Mario when I bought the console - but something told me I just wouldn't play it...

To be fair I rarely touch my Xbox and PS4 either.

Switch just didn't make sense for me in the long run.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator edited October 16
    I hope you will be happy with the decision. I often wonder if I should sell some of my hardware that I hardly use but I thin the sunk cost is already done so it is better to just hold on to it.

I have sold things and bought them again a year or two later too many times....
  • Roman
    Roman
    GT Member
    ha! Where were you last week with the sage advice :)

I 'lost' about $300 in the deal - but I'm OK with that.

We must be related - I sold a PS4 about 2 yrs back only to re-buy a year later.

I stil have the Xbox and PS4 to play around with when the mood strikes - which reminds me - when the heck with Last of Us 2 be out!!!
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    That's interesting, I'm on the opposite side - for me after leaving it in its box for many months, I've finally started to get into my Switch. I pretty much use it exclusively as a portable device, sometimes I forget it can actually be played on a big screen.

I've been playing NBA 2K19 on it for a while now. My biggest complaint is that upon sleep the wifi disconnects and for whatever reason it takes such a long time to reconnect to the servers.

Next up: Diablo 3! I've more or less stopped playing D3 on the PC in favor of waiting for it on portable. Maybe it's wishful thinking but I feel like this is the format it was made to be played on.

And then.... Fire Emblem: Three Houses next year looks awesome. FE was the franchise I originally bought the Switch for, not realizing what a long wait it was going to be for a real Switch game.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    The Switch Pro Controller Killer

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator edited October 23
    Wrong thread...:)
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Farley, I think you're crossing the streams...
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator edited November 2
    Grim Fandango remastered just dropped on the Eshop for $15. I couldn’t resist a classic like that.

• EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    farley2k wrote: »
    Grim Fandango remastered just dropped on the Eshop for $15. I couldn’t resist a classic like that.

Here you go, a special announcement just for you: