Catch-All Nintendo Switch

123468

Comments

  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    8 Nintendo Labo Toy-Con Nintendo Haven't Properly Announced Yet

  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    I am not great at detailed reviews but I setup the 8bitdo last night with my Xbox 1 controller so I thought I would post something.

    You have to update the firmware via a PC to get Xbox 1 support but it was easy. Plug it into the dock's USB port then hold the pair button on the 8bitdo and the controller. They flash for awhile then become solid when paired. Easy.

    Once paired it acts just like the Pro Controller except the buttons are labeled wrong because all companies can't agree which should be "x", "a", etc. I tried it in Legend of Zelda and all the buttons worked perfectly there seemed to be no noticeable lag.

    All in all it was exactly what I expected so I am happy.



  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    farley2k wrote: »
    I am not great at detailed reviews but I setup the 8bitdo last night with my Xbox 1 controller so I thought I would post something.

    You have to update the firmware via a PC to get Xbox 1 support but it was easy. Plug it into the dock's USB port then hold the pair button on the 8bitdo and the controller. They flash for awhile then become solid when paired. Easy.

    Once paired it acts just like the Pro Controller except the buttons are labeled wrong because all companies can't agree which should be "x", "a", etc. I tried it in Legend of Zelda and all the buttons worked perfectly there seemed to be no noticeable lag.

    All in all it was exactly what I expected so I am happy.

    Wait...so you can use an XB1 controller on the Switch? That would be ideal (if I can ever afford a Switch). I wonder if it has to be one of the newer controllers, though, since the original XB1 controllers didn't work via bluetooth.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Yes it needs to be one of the "s" controllers that supports bluetooth. I had one already for use with the PC. It made sense then because I have a great controller for two different systems.

  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    farley2k wrote: »
    Yes it needs to be one of the "s" controllers that supports bluetooth. I had one already for use with the PC. It made sense then because I have a great controller for two different systems.

    :+1:
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    The switch controllers (well, the good ones anyway) have motion controls built in and I expect the xbox one does not, so you may run into issues in some places (at least one Zelda shrine, but I imagine there are more. My son played it all, I did not).
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    The dongle I got also has a USB plug on it. I haven't tested it yet.

    The Power A Wired controllers (Zelda, Mario) are missing wireless support (obviously) but also Rumble and motion controls.

    So, unless you're comparing this to the Pro Controller, your XB1 may well work better than the 2nd party ones available in the B&M shops with Nintendo branding.

    http://nintendotoday.com/pro-controller-vs-mario-controller/
    https://www.imore.com/nintendo-switch-joy-con-vs-pro-controller
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator edited April 5
    Firewatch is coming to Switch later this spring.

    tumblr_p6m6zsvSEI1sikueao1_1280.png

    Campo Santo announced the news in a blog post this morning, adding that while it still doesn’t have an exact date for the port’s release, the Switch version will be more optimized and have better load times.


    Seems like a nice fit. Just a relaxing game I can wander around in on the go.

  • MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    FWIW, I loved Firewatch. Ended up playing through it twice, the second time using the interesting "Guided Tour" mode that unlocks after the first playthru. B)
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    I like the Switch, but have had this weird, nagging sense of dissatisfaction ever since I bought it. Today, I think I finally figured out why.

    I'm leaving for a trip tomorrow, and wanted something new to play on the Switch since I recently beat Skyrim. So I pulled up the "new releases" category and spent over an hour scrolling back through every single game that's been released over the last 12 months. Realized that there wasn't a single thing in there that I was interested in that I hadn't already purchased on other system (iOS, PC, or PS4).

    This isn't the fault of the Switch, mind you, but made me realize that how few and far between the games I have interest in really are for the Switch. Outside of the big name titles (Zelda, Mario, Xenoblade 2, Splatoon), there is simply nothing there that I'm even mildly interested in. Bummed me out a little, to be honest.

    I've absolutely gotten my money's worth from the Switch (my daughter thinks it's the greatest thing ever), but I do wish there were more unique games that weren't just lower-res retreads after the fact.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Definitely agree with Gratch on the lack of titles. I've essentially just played two games, Xenoblade and the Fire Emblems game. I rarely even bother checking the Switch releases because they seem to all be retreads or games I'm not really interested in. It doesn't bother me that much (I didn't even open the box for the first few months I had it), it's just a little surprising given how much people seem to like the hardware design.

    Slightly off topic, but this reminded me of something I posted at an Apple forum regarding the iPad Mini. I still think Apple wasted a major opportunity to position the Mini as the ultimate portable gaming device. All they need is a couple of decent accessories (the GameVice is a good start, but dual sticks like the Switch should be a no-brainer) and some dedicated attention and I'd think it would be an easy win for them. Unlike Nintendo, they'd be able to upgrade the processor/graphics every year by mooching off the iPhone line and upgrade the screen mooching off the iPad line. I suppose they already have such a dominant hold on the teenage market with iPhone and tablet market with iPad, it probably seemed unnecessary to them, but it still feels like a missed opportunity to me.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    The other thing I noticed as I was browsing yesterday is how much more expensive Switch games are than the equivalent on iOS. I bought Slayaway Camp for iPad at $3 yesterday, and it's $15 on Switch. Darkest Dungeon is $5 on iOS, $20 on Switch. There's a ton of similar examples.

    Again, while I like the Switch, iPad provides me an equivalent portable format at a fraction of the cost, which is a no-brainer.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Gratch wrote: »
    The other thing I noticed as I was browsing yesterday is how much more expensive Switch games are than the equivalent on iOS. I bought Slayaway Camp for iPad at $3 yesterday, and it's $15 on Switch. Darkest Dungeon is $5 on iOS, $20 on Switch. There's a ton of similar examples..

    Yeah, I guess that's just the general difference between mobile and any console or PC. Those games are also available on other "big" platforms for those normal prices, so not sure why the Switch would get phone prices.

  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Nintendo Switch Essentials: What you need to get started

  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    EngineNo9 wrote: »
    Gratch wrote: »
    The other thing I noticed as I was browsing yesterday is how much more expensive Switch games are than the equivalent on iOS. I bought Slayaway Camp for iPad at $3 yesterday, and it's $15 on Switch. Darkest Dungeon is $5 on iOS, $20 on Switch. There's a ton of similar examples..

    Yeah, I guess that's just the general difference between mobile and any console or PC. Those games are also available on other "big" platforms for those normal prices, so not sure why the Switch would get phone prices.

    Oh, I don’t expect them to get iOS pricing. It was just an observation, and another reason why my Switch doesn’t get nearly as much use as other platforms.
  • JCC
    JCC
    GT Member
    I remain infuriated that neither Zelda WW or TP HD have been even announced for the Switch. I think it's stupid that they aren't already released, how can they not even have been announced yet?! I am even more outraged that there isn't a Virtual Console. The VC would be a license to print $$ - WHERE IS IT?! As brilliant as Nintendo is some ways they are equally moronic in others.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Perhaps you will find something that interests you in this list.

    32 Upcoming Nintendo Switch Games You PROBABLY DIDN'T Know About!

  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    You know one thing that bugs me about YouTube videos? The stupid screen images like the one for that Switch games video. Seeing the stupid derp face on that guy makes me LESS inclined to click and watch. Lame mugging faces and images that have nothing to do with the video are YouTube pet peeves I have that just bug me to no end.

    Okay, old man ranting mode off now. :p
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    farley2k wrote: »
    Perhaps you will find something that interests you in this list.

    32 Upcoming Nintendo Switch Games You PROBABLY DIDN'T Know About!


    That video kinda reinforces my original post. There’s a couple new things in there, but it feels like the vast majority of the Switch library these days is simply ports or re-releases from old systems.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Manticore – Galaxy on Fire receives new release date of April 19
    Manticore – Galaxy on Fire was originally intended for release via the Switch eShop on March 22. But one day before launch, the game was delayed. Fans have been wondering since then when it would be ready for actual release.

    Over on the European eShop, the listing for Manticore – Galaxy on Fire has returned, showing that it will be available on April 19. That’s only a week away, so there shouldn’t be any further delays from here on out.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Yeah I watched that whole derp guy video and I think there might have been one game that caught my eye. I forgot though about the "real" Fire Emblem game that's still to come out, that's probably the big one for me. Also expecting something big/new in the Pokemon franchise.
  • JCC
    JCC
    GT Member
    So Nintendo announced details of their online service today. $20/year for a handful of NES titles at launch plus the ability to backup your saves online. Cheap, but nothing in the catalog to interest me currently.

    More importantly they have confirmed that a Virtual Console where you can buy and own the old games you want is NOT coming. Bitterly disappointed. My Switch will continue to collect dust for a while it appears.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    I can't understand why they won't have a Virtual Console . It is one of their strongest assets. It is just baffling.
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    JCC wrote: »
    So Nintendo announced details of their online service today. $20/year for a handful of NES titles at launch plus the ability to backup your saves online. Cheap, but nothing in the catalog to interest me currently.

    More importantly they have confirmed that a Virtual Console where you can buy and own the old games you want is NOT coming. Bitterly disappointed. My Switch will continue to collect dust for a while it appears.

    ... and online play, and voice comm using a phone app.
  • Jumangi
    Jumangi
    GT Member
    farley2k wrote: »
    I can't understand why they won't have a Virtual Console . It is one of their strongest assets. It is just baffling.

    Think companies would rather repackage their titles themselves and sell them again. Put a group together and do it at $40 rather than $5 for a single title.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator edited August 2
    GripCase but the kickstarted ended. However I looked at Amazon and it is there! So I guess the kickstarter was successful!


    I got it yesterday and it is everything they say in the videos - ie good tight fit so you can still get it in the dock, comfortable, great case, and feels quality (a hard term but you know what I mean - it doesn't feel like cheap plastic, or fit loosely, etc.)

    All in all I would give it a 4 out of 5. The one star lose is because while it fits in the dock the grips cover up the USB port on the left side of the dock. I have my 8bitdo controller dongle there so I can use the Xbox 1 controller. So to leave the case on while docked I wouldn't be able to use the dongle. The point of the dongle is to play with the Xbox 1 controller while docked so obviously I have to take the case off when I dock it.

    Luckily it goes on and off easily enough. It is just a tiny oversight on the manufacturers planning. Not a huge issue though.

    Here are some pictures. My son isn't great at focus yet so some are blurry.

    VTnD7Zi.jpg

    UKKzM4N.jpg

    zK5lg3X.jpg

    FCG0PoJ.jpg

  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    The World Ends with You: Final Remix lands on Nintendo Switch in October
    Earlier today Nintendo finally revealed that The World Ends with You: Final Remix is coming to Switch on October 12th. Whether you believe the edition can be definitive without a second screen or not, it's exciting news all around.
    This edition offers up HD remastered visuals, some new remixed music, and a newly added scenario. You'll also be able to play the game with your Joy-Cons or through touchscreen and there's a neat two-player mode to take part in, too.
Sign In or Register to comment.