Catch-All Nintendo Switch

Comments

• Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    FINALLY. After months of waiting and waiting and checking every day, Amazon got the Switch with black JoyCons in stock at the normal retail price so I promptly ordered one. It's still in stock as of now if anyone is still looking for one at non-scalper prices.

Now to go figure out what games and accessories to get...
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator edited August 2017
    There is only one must have game I can think of - "Breath of the Wild" There are other good ones but nothing in that league.

As for accessories...I think a screen protector is worth the investment and a good controller

switch pro controller costs a lot but it is great.

amFilm Tempered Glass Screen Protector costs very little and is great.

• Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    Yep, I ordered the Zelda game immediately as well as that glass screen protector. I'm going to try the controller thing that comes with the console first before deciding on the pro controller. That thing is obnoxiously expensive.

The only other games I am contemplating right now are Mario Kart, Disgaea 5, Cave Story and Street Fighter II. I'm really more looking forward to a handful of games that are not out yet like Mario Rabbids, Kirby, Metroid, Mario World, Xenoblade 2 and Pokken Tournament.
  • uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager
    Yep, I ordered the Zelda game immediately as well as that glass screen protector. I'm going to try the controller thing that comes with the console first before deciding on the pro controller. That thing is obnoxiously expensive.

The only other games I am contemplating right now are Mario Kart, Disgaea 5, Cave Story and Street Fighter II. I'm really more looking forward to a handful of games that are not out yet like Mario Rabbids, Kirby, Metroid, Mario World, Xenoblade 2 and Pokken Tournament.

the Pro Controller is worth every penny. Seriously, it may be my favorite controller of all time. The heft, the feel, the responsiveness. I was surprised at how excellent it was.

Mike Dunn
    Executive Producer & Editor-at-Large
    GAMING TREND

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    uxFOOL wrote: »
    the Pro Controller is worth every penny. Seriously, it may be my favorite controller of all time. The heft, the feel, the responsiveness. I was surprised at how excellent it was.

It has not surpassed the Wavebird for me but it is right up there in the two couple controllers I have ever used.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    Okay, you guys convinced me. I'll get the pro controller.
  • MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    Silly question, perhaps, and I haven't done anything to check for myself but do you need the Switch specific Pro Controller for the Switch? As in the one I have from my WiiU can't be used? :/
  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    Unfortunately, the WiiU version will not work with the Switch.
  • MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    Yeah, figured. Thanks for the confirmation.
  • Destructor
    Destructor
    GT Member
    There's plenty of other controllers you can use instead of the Pro Controller, too. If you'd rather have something that also works for your PC, I highly recommend something from the 8bitdo line. Perfect for those retro games on your PC as well as a controller for your Switch (played through Blaster Master Zero with it myself).
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    2m9lusb9wwiz.png
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator edited September 2017
    Skyrim Begins Its Switch Adventure on 17th November
    Though the Nintendo Direct didn't tell us much about The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim that we didn't already know, it did fill us in on one key detail - it'll arrive on 17th November.
    The date has been pegged as November for a little while in some retail listings, but it's nice to have a firm date.

Doom Will Bring Hell to Switch This Holiday Season
    In one of the biggest surprises of today's Nintendo Direct broadcast, Nintendo confirmed that Bethesda's Doom will be coming to the Nintendo Switch in the Holiday season. Originally released in May 2016, it was a critically acclaimed new entry in the series that delivered intense 60FPS gunplay.
    It's a particularly fascinating announcement as it's a title that not only looks gorgeous but stakes its credibility on buttery smooth gameplay. Evidently developer id Software is pretty confident about how its engine will play out on the Switch, both docked and in handheld mode.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Hits Switch On December 1st
    Nintendo has given us a massive helping of Xenoblade Chronicles 2 info during today's Nintendo Direct broadcast, including the final release date, which is December 1st.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Report: Netflix is ready to launch on Switch, waiting for Nintendo
    The Switch console launched without any third party media support for streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon, but that might change soon.

According to a Netflix representative, the company is ready to launch on the Switch and is just waiting for Nintendo’s approval.

Netflix was available on the previous two Nintendo consoles, the Wii and Wii U, so it’s only a matter of time before Switch owners get to watch their favorite content on the platform.

Keep in mind that this isn’t coming from Netflix’s official sources, but from a representative who spoke to a user.

While it’s not official, it’s a no-brainer that Nintendo will eventually add third party streaming services on the console — Nintendo themselves promised back in march that Netflix and others will be available on the console “in time”.

And hopefully it happens sooner than later, and that we can get some of the competing platforms on the Switch as well, such as Hulu, Amazon Prime, HBO Go, and others.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Golf Story on Switch - The First 30 Minutes
    *spoilers....duh.

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    The gothic roguelike RPG Darkest Dungeon is on its way to the Nintendo Switch
    According to a comment on the post by Red Hook Studios Co-Founder Tyler, the game could drop by the end of 2017, but nothing's confirmed as of yet. We just know that it's coming to Switch and seems to be working pretty fluidly.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator edited October 2017
    Purge wrote: »
    This makes me sad.

Por Qua?

I think it looks a bit odd but I have put this on my Amazon wishlist because I would like to be able to use bluetooth headphones with my Switch.

71fb4eUXBzL._SL1280_.jpg

• Purge
    Purge
    GT Member edited October 2017
    farley2k wrote: »
    This makes me sad.

Por Qua?

That it doesn't come with built-in BT.
    (not that I'm surprised - but BT 4.1 isn't a horrid power drain and having that flexibility should be there)
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    This makes me sad.

Por Qua?

(not that I'm surprised - but BT 4.1 isn't a horrid power drain and having that flexibility should be there)

It's pretty surprising given that a combo wifi/BT chip doesn't cost much more or use too much more power. I worked on a project at my last company and we ended up throwing BT in just because it was practically free; we didn't implement it in software in the initial release but eventually spent some time getting it going. Hard to believe a company like Nintendo wouldn't have the foresight to do something like that.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member edited October 2017
    I can definitely see Nintendo not putting it in because by default it would make the device worse for most of their "casual" audience.

I don't know about other devices, but turning off bluetooth on my phone makes a drastic difference in battery life.
    rittchard wrote: »
    Hard to believe a company like Nintendo wouldn't have the foresight to do something like that.

Hahahahahaha! Oh boy, I needed that. :lol:
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Doom for Nintendo Switch Release Date Announced!
    11-10-17

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Nintendo Switch Version 4.0 Update Tour! (Video Recording, New Profile Icons, & More!)

• tebunker
    tebunker
    GT Member
    This makes me sad.

Por Qua?

So 4.0 added support for USB BT headsets, and I have read that the system has the hardware, just needs it to be added to the software? Could be wrong. But you can use a usb dongle now and it even works through a USBC adapter if you want to be portable.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    http://nintendotoday.com/switch-is-getting-an-official-skyrim-accessory-set/
    Nintendo, Bethesda, and Hori have teamed up to release a limited edition Skyrim accessory set for the Switch.

The accessories include items that most Switch owners probably have by now: a screen protector, a carry pouch, etc.

The Skyrim accessory set includes all Skyrim branded gear, including Joy-Con grips, screen protector, carry pouch, and a screen cleaning cloth.

The new accessory set launches on November 17 and will retail for $29.

skyrim-switch-accessories.jpg

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Darkest Dungeon Is Easier To Play On Switch
    There is no bad version of Darkest Dungeon, but playing on the Switch might be the best way to play the upsetting medieval stress management sim. The Switch’s controls elevate the game into the best version of itself and make me a better player.

There are very few things about Darkest Dungeon that I dislike, but I sometimes bristle at the amount of information the game gives you. When you’re keeping track of a dozen adventurers with their own frustrating quirks, it can be easy to get tired of clicking through menus and squinting at a screen. This is a game that begs to be played in long sessions, and sometimes sitting at a desktop with an aching back doesn’t cut it. It’s easy to feel defeated by not knowing where the thing I want is on the screen, rather than by the ailments and quirks of my party.

I imagine players who have checked out Darkest Dungeon on tablet already know this, but not only does the game translate well to a smaller, handheld screen, touch controls are a great way to navigate it. In the dungeons, you can tap on characters to select them and then tap on their attacks to use them. In the hamlet, you can tap on each location to bring up its menu, and then drag your adventurers into the slots at the bar, blacksmith, or wherever they need to go. There’s something about just using your fingers on Darkest Dungeon’s interface that makes it feel less intimidating. There’s still a density of information, but instead of scrolling through options in a nested menu, you’re just touching stuff.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    But for people like me who prefer playing the Switch in docked mode on a TV, we're still stuck with using a controller to muddle through the game's cluttered interface?
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    It is part of how you get driven insane.