Catch-All Nintendo Switch

Comments

• gellar
    gellar
    GT Member
    on 1488981573:

So...Antennagate is solved. Nintendo for whatever reason did no quality testing and basically can't fix the left Joycon issue...because it needs roughly a half cent piece of wire and some solder to fix:

Basically the 'antenna' (if you can call it that - it's just some etchings on the PCB board) sits not only right next to a metal cage housing the analog stick, but it's also right next to where your hand will always grasp the controller.

It seems that Nintendo boosted the power going to the left Joycon with their 'day one patch' because I've had the left Joycon shout out a battery warning faster than the right one did by quite a bit (I've been playing Zelda a ton, sue me :D ). It's just not going to fix it. They need to redesign the controller and there's nothing Nintendo can do from their end can fix it.

I definitely experience this issue and it is wildly infuriating.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    The joys of new hardware. :~

On the plus side I found a Switch at my local Best Buy (Coralville, IA) on Sunday so I can experience the fustration with the rest of you!

Picked up Zelda

• Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    On that video in the comments they report this issue was a bad batch and not some total QA failure, and you can send in the controller and they'll replace it for free.

But that will cut into playtime... ;) Advanced RMA, perhaps? :D
  • gellar
    gellar
    GT Member
    on 1491851660:

On that video in the comments they report this issue was a bad batch and not some total QA failure, and you can send in the controller and they'll replace it for free.

But that will cut into playtime... ;) Advanced RMA, perhaps? :D

Yeah I should definitely try to RMA the thing... just haven't spent the time really.
  • Caine
    Caine
    GT Member
    I ran across 9 of them at BB as well, Farley, but I found the lack of games other than Zelda to be too much of a deterrent right now. Plus the whole open world fixation I'm on right now can't take yet another, regardless of how well made it is. Maybe in time....

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    They certainly need to have more games be hitting the system.

Still it has been has been nice to play Zelda the last couple nights while in bed.
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    Yeah, having the game work on the controller (Wii U) was nice as my kid didn't monopolize the TV.

It's not that I don't think the Switch has a place in the market - I just can't see myself buying something for that much when my Wii U goes pretty much unused (with a bevy of grade A(+) games for it)
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Nintendo Switch - Nintendo Direct 4.12.2017
    *Switch specific portion

• Lordnine
    Lordnine
    GT Member
    Mostly re-releases and special editions. I like the Switch well enough but that lineup isn’t going to sell many consoles.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    I found a couple things worthwhile in this

Nintendo Switch Tips You Should Know

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Golf Story.
    *Looks neat!

• Destructor
    Destructor
    GT Member
    So if you happen to own an 8bit Duo controller of some sort, it's now compatible with the Switch. After playing through all of Blaster Master Zeo with it (I have the NES30 Pro controller with 2 analog sticks as well), I've found that it's an absolutely fantastic controller and far better to use than say, the default controllers.

I experimented playing Zelda on it and it seemed to work well enough. At least I won't have to drop $70 on a Nintendo Pro controller anymore.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Lost Sphear is the next project by the developers of I Am Setsuna

Well, Square Enix has just confirmed that the project that Tokyo RPG Factory was alluding to is an upcoming RPG for the PC, PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch by the name of Lost Sphear.

Lost Sphear will follow the story of a young boy by the name of Kanata who, after awakening from a terrible nightmare, finds that his hometown is slowly disappearing. In order to prevent further calamity, he and his friends are to set out on a quest to restore what is lost by manifesting their thoughts into matter using the power of Memory.

• EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Oh boy, are they going to feel silly when they realize they misspelled "sphere". :p
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    ARMS Review

• EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    I'm not one to believe reviews from a YouTube channel built around only Nintendo content, but it's good to hear that Arms turned out better than expected. At least I had initially assumed it would be a really shallow flailing simulator.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Splatoon 2 - Single Player Mode Demonstration - Nintendo E3 2017

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    SKYRIM on Nintendo Switch in Handheld Mode - First Impressions + New Gameplay

• Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    Okay, I am now interested in getting a Switch but damn, it is a pain in the ass just trying to find one that isn't a part of some ultra expensive bundle that includes crap I don't want. Is there some trick to finding one? Leave it to Nintendo to generate demand but utterly fail to adequately keep up with the demand.
  • Lordnine
    Lordnine
    GT Member
    Amazon got some a couple days ago but it looks like only scalpers there now. They seem to sell out in just a day or two so you really need to jump on them when they come in.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    I refuse to pay the Amazon 3rd party seller prices for the base models. Those leeches can burn in hell.
  • JCC
    JCC
    GT Member
    i regularly see them at my local Target, but I don't go to it that often so I may have just been lucky.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    The Nintendo Switch Network Adapter Really Helps With Online Gaming

A week and a half ago, I purchased Hori’s Nintendo-licensed LAN Adapter on Amazon. At 29.99, the official thing is not a cheap add-on, and it’s especially annoying to have to shell out any money at all considering that both the PS4 and Xbox One have this functionality built in. All the same, I wanted to test the adapter out because I’ve been playing a hell of a lot of Splatoon 2 lately.

Over a dozen hours later, I’ve yet to drop from a Splatoon match or see any weird connection issues. It’s all been smooth as butter; my shots go where I think they do, and there are never any teleporting squidkids. Hilariously, I’ve now encountered the opposite problem: I stay in matches where other players disconnect, something that can be particularly harrowing in modes like Salmon Run. I’m betting those folks were all on Wi-Fi, too.

Beyond the in-game benefits, having a wired connection is mighty useful whenever you’re downloading a game. Something that might have taken an hour or two before can now be nabbed in 10 or 15 minutes, which allows me to get back into the action quicker. Life with a Switch network adapter is definitely better, if you can swing it.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    I mean, yeah...wired connection is always better for gaming over wireless. That hasn't changed.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    SPLATOON 2 (Honest Game Trailers)

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    This Level Proves How Hard Mario & Rabbids Kingdom Battle Can Be (Gameplay)

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Gorgeous adventure game Rime has finally got a Nintendo Switch release date
    We've known for a while that gorgeous adventure game Rime was coming to Nintendo Switch.

Well, now we know when it's coming out. November 14th in North America and November 17th in Europe.

The digital version of the game will set you back $30, while the retail version, which comes bundled with the game's soundtrack will cost $40.

The game sees you exploring some gorgeous environments, using sound, light, perspective, and time. Which sounds pretty darn cool if you ask me.

Still, you've got a couple of months to wait before the game lands. At least you know exactly how long though. We'll update you closer to the time, just in case you forget.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Let's Play Monster Hunter XX on Nintendo Switch