Catch-All Nintendo Switch

Comments

• Isgrimnur
    Isgrimnur
    GT Member
    I cede the floor. I was playing devil's advocate, and he's got a shitty lawyer.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Also lots of press that got hardware for reviews coming out saying that the joy cons (or specifically the left one only?) have troubles keeping a clean signal going with any kind of interference, including your body. That's a really bummer, as it may be something that can't even be fixed by a firmware update?

I would say "hopefully Nintendo comes out and addresses that", but talking publicly about those sorts of things is not really their style.
  • Scraper
    Scraper
    GT Member
    on 1487951586:

Also lots of press that got hardware for reviews coming out saying that the joy cons (or specifically the left one only?) have troubles keeping a clean signal going with any kind of interference, including your body. That's a really bummer, as it may be something that can't even be fixed by a firmware update?

I would say "hopefully Nintendo comes out and addresses that", but talking publicly about those sorts of things is not really their style.

That seems like a really big mistake if it is hardware related. I have a hard time believing that they didn't catch something like that in testing. Which makes me be hopeful that it's just a case by case defective controller issue.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    on 1487952052:

on 1487951586:

That seems like a really big mistake if it is hardware related. I have a hard time believing that they didn't catch something like that in testing. Which makes me be hopeful that it's just a case by case defective controller issue.

Could be, and that's what I hope. But it seems like any press who have tried to can easily replicate the issue. I can't afford one at launch anyway, so for once I won't be one of the early adopters and can wait to see if they address it.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    And another unfortunate thing I just heard is that apparently the Virtual Console won't be there at launch either. But thankfully there are a ton of other new games coming out this year for it to keep us busy! (sarcasm, folks)

Dang, I really don't want to just be Mr Negative here, I love Nintendo and want this to succeed.
  • Scraper
    Scraper
    GT Member
    on 1487952914:

And another unfortunate thing I just heard is that apparently the Virtual Console won't be there at launch either. But thankfully there are a ton of other new games coming out this year for it to keep us busy! (sarcasm, folks)

Dang, I really don't want to just be Mr Negative here, I love Nintendo and want this to succeed.

The lack of the Virtual console at launch is a YUUGE blunder. In the absence of new games to play they could have at least given us hundreds of old games through the virtual console. I know I would love to buy Super Metroid, Paper Mario, Mario Cart 64, etc. for the hand held functionality alone.
  • Scraper
    Scraper
    GT Member
    for those who preordered from Amazon, have any of you received your shipping notification yet? Mine still says its set for delivery tomorrow, but it says it hasn't shipped yet.
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    Nothing in the launch games interests me, so I can avoid an October 2000 flashback, when I waited outside a Wal-Mart near my office at some insane early hour but was not allowed in because the overnight-waiting nuts were the only ones allowed in for their PlayStation 2s. :icon_razz: I guess Wal-Mart (which only let people walk in to buy) is already out.
  • Destructor
    Destructor
    GT Member
    on 1488460958:

for those who preordered from Amazon, have any of you received your shipping notification yet? Mine still says its set for delivery tomorrow, but it says it hasn't shipped yet.

Amazon (and Target, which I ordered from first as they were the first site that had it for sale, as I wanted to play it safe), both haven't emailed me anything yet about shipping. Although Amazon still says it'll show up by tomorrow as well.

Must get my Switch and Zelda...
  • Lordnine
    Lordnine
    GT Member
    on 1488460958:

Mine says preparing for shipment right now. It might arrive by tomorrow but unless they preshipped a bunch to my distribution hub, Saturday or Sunday is more likely.
  • Destructor
    Destructor
    GT Member
    Well, mine switched to shipping, so looks like I'll have it and Zelda tomorrow. Just a question of when.

I want it NOW! :D

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-switch-joy-cons-tested-are-there-really-de-sync-issues

Sadly, articles like these shows that Nintendo also borked something and badly. And it's not fixed with the launch patch.
  • Scraper
    Scraper
    GT Member
    Mine says out for delivery. I am patiently staring out my window waiting for the Fed ex truck to arrive. :drool:
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    on 1487952754:

on 1487952052:

on 1487951586:

Could be, and that's what I hope. But it seems like any press who have tried to can easily replicate the issue. I can't afford one at launch anyway, so for once I won't be one of the early adopters and can wait to see if they address it.

Sounds like early reports are that the Day One firmware update does update the firmware on the joycons when you connect them and they don't seem to have the same problem afterwards. Not conclusive yet, but great to hear.
  • Jumangi
    Jumangi
    GT Member
    on 1488551096:

Mine says out for delivery. I am patiently staring out my window waiting for the Fed ex truck to arrive. :drool:

maxresdefault.jpg
  • Lordnine
    Lordnine
    GT Member
    Mine arrived. First impression.

Joycons are waaaaay too small and uncomfortable to use in any fashion on their own.
    aBJ2nNom.jpg

Putting them in the dock makes them useable but still too small for long play sessions.
    Playing with the Joycons connected to the screen is probably the best option but still awkward.
    I would have actually preferred a little more plastic around the edge of the screen. Because it’s a touch screen, it’s too easy to fumble options you don’t intend when trying to attach the Joycons or just moving it around.
    I am going to need to buy a pro-controller, which is disappointing because I found the WiiU normal controller one of the most comfortable controllers I’ve ever used.

The system interface itself is snappy and a nice improvement over the sluggish WiiU.
    eShop seems to work as expected. I was able to transfer over my funds from my WiiU account with no problem. Ordered Snipperclips and have it downloading right now.

Zelda seems pretty neat. Framerate bombs at times though, which is disappointing.
  • OrangeKyle
    OrangeKyle
    GT Editor
    I like the fact that I can put the system in my jeans pocket if I take the Joy Cons off first. I'm thinking about getting a USB-C to Micro USB adapter so that I can use my portable cell phone charger to extend the Switch's battery life. So far, I haven't run into any problems with the battery, but I've only been playing Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment.
  • Scraper
    Scraper
    GT Member
    on 1488728921:

I like the fact that I can put the system in my jeans pocket if I take the Joy Cons off first. I'm thinking about getting a USB-C to Micro USB adapter so that I can use my portable cell phone charger to extend the Switch's battery life. So far, I haven't run into any problems with the battery, but I've only been playing Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment.

I bought a cable on amazon for $6 and it works perfectly in my droid turbo phone charger.
  • Scraper
    Scraper
    GT Member
    on 1488578582:

on 1488551096:

maxresdefault.jpg

That was literally me most of Friday since it didn't arrive until close to 4pm.
  • Destructor
    Destructor
    GT Member
    So...Antennagate is solved. Nintendo for whatever reason did no quality testing and basically can't fix the left Joycon issue...because it needs roughly a half cent piece of wire and some solder to fix:

Basically the 'antenna' (if you can call it that - it's just some etchings on the PCB board) sits not only right next to a metal cage housing the analog stick, but it's also right next to where your hand will always grasp the controller.

It seems that Nintendo boosted the power going to the left Joycon with their 'day one patch' because I've had the left Joycon shout out a battery warning faster than the right one did by quite a bit (I've been playing Zelda a ton, sue me :D ). It's just not going to fix it. They need to redesign the controller and there's nothing Nintendo can do from their end can fix it.
  • katamaris4ever
    katamaris4ever
    GT Editor
    So the first post-launch titles should be coming out on the eshop tomorrow (Blaster Master Zero and for North America, Voez). Oddly excited about BMZ (mainly because it's going to be a BLASTER MASTER sequel plus it's 10 bucks), but are there any other digital titles you're looking forward to playing?
  • Destructor
    Destructor
    GT Member
    on 1488983180:

So the first post-launch titles should be coming out on the eshop tomorrow (Blaster Master Zero and for North America, Voez). Oddly excited about BMZ (mainly because it's going to be a BLASTER MASTER sequel plus it's 10 bucks), but are there any other digital titles you're looking forward to playing?

Looking forward to Blaster Master myself. Classic NES game from forever ago.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    on 1488981573:

So...Antennagate is solved. Nintendo for whatever reason did no quality testing and basically can't fix the left Joycon issue...because it needs roughly a half cent piece of wire and some solder to fix:

Basically the 'antenna' (if you can call it that - it's just some etchings on the PCB board) sits not only right next to a metal cage housing the analog stick, but it's also right next to where your hand will always grasp the controller.

It seems that Nintendo boosted the power going to the left Joycon with their 'day one patch' because I've had the left Joycon shout out a battery warning faster than the right one did by quite a bit (I've been playing Zelda a ton, sue me :D ). It's just not going to fix it. They need to redesign the controller and there's nothing Nintendo can do from their end can fix it.

Holy crap. That is a terrible design fail.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    on 1488994498:

on 1488981573:

Holy crap. That is a terrible design fail.

Yeah, looks like I'll be waiting for the Switch U.

Or at least waiting for the next batch.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Yeah, this seems like something they will definitely have to make a second version for.

Between these odd hardware issues and the clearly premature online systems and nonexistant Virtual Console this launch seems to scream "rushed" in every way. I'm not sure why they couldn't have waited 6 months longer to get it right, but I suppose the wheels have been turning for ages.
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    on 1488983180:

Voez

Just be aware, that this is a game that's only available to play in tablet mode and doesn't support TV mode:
    http://www.cgmagonline.com/2017/02/27/new-switch-game-playable-tablet-mode/

Essentially just a port of a mobile game available on Google Play. I suspect this won't be the only mobile game to be available.
  • katamaris4ever
    katamaris4ever
    GT Editor
    on 1488995195:

on 1488983180:

Voez

Just be aware, that this is a game that's only available to play in tablet mode and doesn't support TV mode:
    http://www.cgmagonline.com/2017/02/27/new-switch-game-playable-tablet-mode/

Essentially just a port of a mobile game available on Google Play. I suspect this won't be the only mobile game to be available.

Yeah, I'm aware. I played a bunch of Cytus a few years back, so I'm excited that Voez is coming out (I believe it's the same team that made Cytus). I was thinking it could have done something a la DJ max Portable or Hatsune Miku Project Diva where you could use a controller to hit one lane of buttons. Would've been a cool control method. Plus, you get over 200 songs for $20 with no in-app purchases, so that's a plus!
  • msduncan
    msduncan
    GT Member

I've had the Switch since launch so I'm reporting in. I can say without reservation that I love this console. I haven't had any of the hardware issues that others have, so take that in mind.

Why do I love it? It is the perfect size to toss into my bag (in a case) and sneak in some Zelda (and soon Mario Kart) time when on lunch, waiting for my kid to come out to the car from school, etc. It's also fantastic for late at night when I get tired of sitting up and want to go get in bed next to my snoozing wife and get another 15 minutes or so of Nintendo gameplay in. Being able to just stand up, grab the console, and go to bed is amazing.

Loving it so far.
  • Scraper
    Scraper
    GT Member
    on 1489666847:

I've had the Switch since launch so I'm reporting in. I can say without reservation that I love this console. I haven't had any of the hardware issues that others have, so take that in mind.

Why do I love it? It is the perfect size to toss into my bag (in a case) and sneak in some Zelda (and soon Mario Kart) time when on lunch, waiting for my kid to come out to the car from school, etc. It's also fantastic for late at night when I get tired of sitting up and want to go get in bed next to my snoozing wife and get another 15 minutes or so of Nintendo gameplay in. Being able to just stand up, grab the console, and go to bed is amazing.

Loving it so far.

Ditto. It literally has been the most used console during it's first two weeks of release that I have ever owned. The reason is simple, when I'm at home I can play on the TV, but when I have to leave my couch I can take it with me. And it couldn't get any easier to switch it to portable and back to TV. On top of that my kids usually play it in portable mode while my wife and I are watching TV. Between myself and two of my kids the console has hardly seen any downtime.

Of course it helps that Zelda is so awesome.