Catch-All Nintendo Switch

Comments

• Scraper
    Scraper
    GT Member
    on 1484325637:

Mario (Weird Mario in the real world is a no go for me)

If you watch the gameplay videos it looks like the real world setting is a minimal part of the game. Most of the actual gameplay sections look like standard Mario goodness set in a fictional world. Time will tell.

HAs anyone figured out a good place to pre-order the Switch online?
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Seeing the news made me realize I could wait.

I am excited about Zelda in March thought for my Wii U
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    on 1484290786:

on 1484286128:

As for the hardware and games, it's an interesting concept, but unless you do a lot of gaming on the go, which I don't, the appeal isn't quite there. I'm going to sit out the launch and wait and see.

Yeah, other than the obvious Zelda and Mario there wasn't much too interesting. And I don't think the weird little controllers are appealing at all.

What kills me is that I keep seeing people saying this is Nintendo returning to "no gimmick", when this whole system seems like gimmick on top of gimmick. Maybe it will work out...it seems every time I think Nintendo is on crack they are successful, so that would be about right.

It's kind of the "best of both worlds" in that it has a gimmick, but that gimmick lends itself to straightforward play, just in a couple of different ways. But I still don't see that mattering much in a world of mobile devices.

The 2.5 hour minimum remote playtime is deadly to what they're trying to accomplish. Sure, it can go as high as 6 hours, but you know that's not for any game you want to play for extended periods. At least they've got normal USB charging options this time, so that helps.

What kills me, though, is when Nintendo keeps dropping the ball on staying competitive.

They have a history of this, of course, most recently with Super Mario Run on iOS charging $10 for a DLC unlock. That is not the current market, and the app has suffered as a result.

First, there's the lack of power. Now, the truth is, most Nintendo published games don't require the horsepower that 3rd party games do. But the problem is, not enough Ninitendo games come out in a year to make their consoles worth it for that alone (though it still tempts me, of course, but I'm not mass market). As a result, third party games are key. And if the console isn't a runaway smash, no third party developer is going to want to spend a lot of time developing for the Nintendo console alone, and if the ports can't run like they do on the other current consoles, you've already shot yourself in the foot.

But look at Nintendo's entrance into the subscription online world. It's like they only skimmed a summary of what the other companies are doing. "Oh, they're giving free games away for a month? Ok, we will, too!" Yeah, you get free NES or SNES games. And only for the month. Then they go away. WTF?!

And everything is too expensive. I get that Nintendo isn't in a position any more where they can do a lot of loss leading, but if you know that in advance, make this a premium experience, with competitive horsepower and then charge a lot. As it is, this just looks like a lesser-than console, that costs more than the better ones that already have a ton of games available.

This is causing nothing but headshakes and facepalms from me. And perusing the game sites, it looks like there's a collective response that's similar.

Oh, and Mario in the real world? I'm sure there's some story reason for that, but Do Not Want. Although, giving him that Oddjob hat power that he can also use to extend his jump is genius. I think that might become a standard Mario power from here on out. You know, assuming Nintendo doesn't completely disappear.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    on 1484326033:

Amazon has preorders. And they tend to be reliable and have preorder price matching.

The 2.5 hour minimum remote playtime is deadly to what they're trying to accomplish. Sure, it can go as high as 6 hours, but you know that's not for any game you want to play for extended periods. At least they've got normal USB charging options this time, so that helps.

Honestly that doesn't sound too bad to me. I mean, my Shield tablet can barely read Twitter for 6 hours on a full charge (if it can even go that long?) so to expect this to do better than that while playing games seems odd.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    on 1484327098:

on 1484326033:

Amazon has preorders. And they tend to be reliable and have preorder price matching.

Honestly that doesn't sound too bad to me. I mean, my Shield tablet can barely read Twitter for 6 hours on a full charge (if it can even go that long?) so to expect this to do better than that while playing games seems odd.

6 hours would be fine. I expected most games to be in the 2.5 hour range. That seems quite low to me for something you'd want to pull out on a plane ride, for example.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    on 1484328007:

on 1484327098:

on 1484326033:

6 hours would be fine. I expected most games to be in the 2.5 hour range. That seems quite low to me for something you'd want to pull out on a plane ride, for example.

It might seem low, but I don't really know of any other tablet or device that can do highend gaming for longer?
  • Scraper
    Scraper
    GT Member
    I put a pre-order in on Amazon.

I skipped the WiiU and that's the first Nintendo console that I have not owned. So the Switch will be a welcome return to Nintendo for me.

I love the fact that the memory is MicroSD and not proprietary. I also like the idea of the docking station with a portable unit. Not sure how much I will actually use it in portable mode, but I'm guessing my kids will play the heck out of it that way when I'm watching TV.

I hope they make some of the WiiU games available for this via download. Specifically Wind Waker HD and the Mario action games.

I also hope that Nintendo introduces some kind of Trophy/Achievement system. Being a competitionist junkie I really want that feature.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    on 1484328988:

on 1484328007:

on 1484327098:

on 1484326033:

It might seem low, but I don't really know of any other tablet or device that can do highend gaming for longer?

But those aren't being marketed for that specific purpose. The 3DS XL goes minimum of 3.5, and people grumbled about that.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Watch: Here's how switching the Nintendo Switch works

• Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    Behold! The Nintendo Switch cow milking mini-game:

http://gizmodo.com/the-new-nintendo-switch-lets-you-milk-a-virtual-cow-fo-1791168118

:retard:
  • Dante Rising
    Dante Rising
    GT Member
    I'm concerned about the handheld screen. Several of the videos I've watched show washed out viewing angles, so that leads me to believe they are using a TN screen, or a cheap IPS version. I wasn't expecting OLED like the Sony Vita, but will Nintendo EVER use a quality panel?

Hopefully these are just pre-production screens, or the YouTube videos are skewing how it looks.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    I can't remember where I read it, but I seem to recall that the screen is IPS.
  • JCC
    JCC
    GT Member
    Finally did a bit of reading about it this morning. The launch lineup is pathetic. The (paid) online service sounds horrid. It looks like this will have even less 3rd party support than the Wii U. In the UK it costs significantly more than the PS4/XB1. I can't imagine why any Wii U owner would buy this at launch. Only 2.5 guaranteed hours of battery life?

I still think the idea for it is interesting, but this has fail written all over it.

• Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    The more I read about this, the less interested I become. I'm sure I'll pick one up later in its lifecycle when there are more games and it's cheaper, but it's certainly not a Day 1 pickup.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    I am sure I will get one but I can wait until I can get one used. For the last generation (or two) I have bought used because there is always enough of a backlog on the old system for me to play for a long time.

• Caine
    Caine
    GT Member
    on 1484416844:

The more I read about this, the less interested I become. I'm sure I'll pick one up later in its lifecycle when there are more games and it's cheaper, but it's certainly not a Day 1 pickup.

I had a similar idea about the Wiiu and all it ended up was a short moment when I could have got one super cheap and had an impulse to buy it. Instead, they ran out and I had already coming off the urge and convinced myself it would only gather up dust in the end. I could see myself buying a Switch in a few years though, especially as a replacement for the Vita after the games finally stop coming.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    New Japanese commercials

*This one convinced me the form factor is too small. It was hard to see the players in the game when they setup the machine.

• EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    on 1487170590:

*This one convinced me the form factor is too small. It was hard to see the players in the game when they setup the machine.

It seems very strange that they would use that soccer game with it's super pulled back camera in that example. Definitely not a great experience at that size.

[/quote]
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    There's Already A Game Too Big For The Nintendo Switch's Built-In Memory

Nintendo Japan revealed the required storage space for the digital download versions of some of the console’s launch titles (and games coming out soon after) earlier today, and while you’ll be able to squeeze a few of the smaller ones in there, others are going to push your system to its limits. One in particular is going to go beyond them.

Disgaea 5 is 5.9GB. That’s fine. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe will be just over 7GB. Again, manageable.

Breath of Wild is 13.4GB, which is over half the Switch’s available memory once you take the OS and other necessary files into account.

Dragon Quest Heroes, though, takes up 32GB. Or, more than the available memory of the entire console. So it will absolutely require a memory card at launch for Japanese buyers (the game hasn’t been announced for the West yet).
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Oh boy... :retard: Not that it really surprises me, but to have one at launch that can't even fit on there is just really sad.

32GB is just such a small drive, it is hard to believe they would choose that, but of course Nintendo has always seemed a bit short-sighted on what other companies might want or require.
  • Scraper
    Scraper
    GT Member
    on 1487794411:

Oh boy... :retard: Not that it really surprises me, but to have one at launch that can't even fit on there is just really sad.

32GB is just such a small drive, it is hard to believe they would choose that, but of course Nintendo has always seemed a bit short-sighted on what other companies might want or require.

My guess is they went small on the internal HD because they used MicroSD cards for the expansion slot. MicroSD is so cheap that they figure everyone will upgrade on their own and get the size that they want. Thus saving Nintendo money by not including a large HD.

They could have really screwed us by including a small internal HD and then using a proprietary expansion memory type like Sony did with the Vita.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    on 1487858367:

on 1487794411:

My guess is they went small on the internal HD because they used MicroSD cards for the expansion slot. MicroSD is so cheap that they figure everyone will upgrade on their own and get the size that they want. Thus saving Nintendo money by not including a large HD.

They could have really screwed us by including a small internal HD and then using a proprietary expansion memory type like Sony did with the Vita.

Yeah, obviously they did it as a cost saving measure and expect people to upgrade. But it just doesn't seem right to do that and not even have the space for one game. And Switch games are only going to get larger as they get more coming from the other consoles and PC.

Think of your average non-techie non-gamer family, which is their target audience. How sad/upset would they be if they get one of those home on birthday/holiday and then realize that they can't even download the game little Jimmy really wants without going back to the store?
  • Isgrimnur
    Isgrimnur
    GT Member
    Does no one remember the N64 expansion packs? It's not like they haven't done this sort of thing before.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    on 1487875574:

Does no one remember the N64 expansion packs? It's not like they haven't done this sort of thing before.

That was actually a very different thing. First, it only came out a couple years after the console had already been on the market in order to give it more RAM for new games.

Secondly, you could still play any games up until it launched and the vast majority afterwards without it. Only 3 games ever required it.
  • Isgrimnur
    Isgrimnur
    GT Member
    And, so far, there's one game that requires a memory chip.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    on 1487886666:

There is a very big difference between something that is specifically designed for advancing games more than 2 years after the fact, vs shipping a crippled system that can't even support all of the games out of the gate.

Oh, and the games that required that expansion pack actually shipped with one in the only way that you could purchase those games. So even if they bought one and brought it home on Christmas, they had everything necessary to play them.
  • Dante Rising
    Dante Rising
    GT Member
    32GB is incredibly short sighted. Obviously it was a cost savings move, but it was done at at a threshold which can impair usability right out of the box. The jump from 32 to 64GB for Nintendo would have only added a few dollars to the system, and it would have eliminated the bad press they are going to get over this decision.

I'm still holding out hope that Nintendo will make the Switch backward compatible with their digital download library of WiiU games or Wii games. THAT would be incredible, And I would be throwing money at them.
  • Ralph-Wiggum
    Ralph-Wiggum
    GT Member
    on 1487886666:

True, but won't you need a chip if you want to have more than one game on the system at a time?