farley2k
farley2k
edited March 21 in Video Games
switch.0.0.JPG

Comments

• Caine
    Caine
    GT Member
    Looks slick. Guessing that the first person game is Skyrim HD?
  • Soulchilde
    Soulchilde
    GT Member
    Those tiny ass controller for multiplayer on the go would kill my large ass hands
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    20-nintendo-switch.jpg

NintendoSwitch_hardware.0.0.jpg
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    I notice there is no visible disc slot on any side of that thing. Surprising that they would go that direction, but I guess it looks like they'll get to re-sell all the WiiU games in digital form.

on 1476973240:

Looks slick. Guessing that the first person game is Skyrim HD?

Yeah, looks like Skyrim remastered to me.
  • Lordnine
    Lordnine
    GT Member
    on 1476974424:

I notice there is no visible disc slot on any side of that thing. Surprising that they would go that direction, but I guess it looks like they'll get to re-sell all the WiiU games in digital form.

I'm curious if it has touchscreen functionality. It seems like if it did they would have shown off something like Mario Maker.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    I'm also really shocked that they didn't show a family, with someone wanting to watch the TV and another one pulling the game onto the portable but sitting together on the couch.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Some more shots of the different parts we see in the promo.

gallery02.jpg
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    on 1476974964:

I'm also really shocked that they didn't show a family, with someone wanting to watch the TV and another one pulling the game onto the portable but sitting together on the couch.

C'mon, completely ignoring your dog on a walk serves the same function. :icon_wink: I actually couldn't believe they lead with that.

In the end, this is pretty much what everyone has been saying it was going to be. It looks nice, and I'll probably get it, but there doesn't seem to be anything about it in the video that's going to elicit more than a shrug from the American public (I'll be interested to see if Japan is more interested).

I'd like to see some specs on the thing, too. I'm sure they're coming. I've heard it'll be on par with the non-updated other consoles, which might be a mistake or it might be a good move if people are more into the portability. Personally, I'm curious about the quality of the portable display. I never used the Wii U away from the TV, mostly because I thought the screen was underwhelming.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    Looks kinda neat. Does that game card slot play 3DS games? That'd be an interesting twist.
  • Dante Rising
    Dante Rising
    GT Member
    A few initial thoughts:

1) I love the idea of a seamless transition from a TV console to a portable. But that screen better be a high quality IPS Version similar to the PlayStation Vita. I don't want something akin to the crappy WiiU screen...and Nintendo is well known for going cheap on their screens.

2) I'm concerned with how small and close the buttons are on the detachable controller. And the analog stick looks cheap.

3) So, MS and Sony are moving on to 4K, and Nintendo brings up the rear with a console that should finally run all games at full 1080p. Not bad. My 4K TV upscales 1080p images fairly well, so it won't feel like a PS3 to Nintendo Wii comparison.

4) As mentioned by Gratch, it would be awesome if 3DS games were compatible, but I don't see that happening.

5) I'm really happy to see that the pro controller has offset analog sticks like the Xbox. Could this, finally, be a great controller from Nintendo? I hated the Wii controller. The clunky WiiU controller + screen was truly awful, and the normal console controller felt like a poor knockoff of an alpha version MS controller.

6) seeing how the Japanese market has gone heavily portable, this seems like a smart move by Nintendo. But I can't help but feel that the portable part is too big for actual on-the-go use. I like the kickstand, but I'm thinking iPhone 6 Plus size should have been the target size. I LOVE the extra screen real estate, but I'm not sure most people will prefer that over true portability.

7) I don't think that is a touchscreen. It would have been a selling point, and virtual sticks would have been shown.
  • Scraper
    Scraper
    GT Member
    In. Day 1 as long as it's $300 or under at launch.
  • JCC
    JCC
    GT Member
    Price price price price... it's all about the price. I fear it will be too high like the Wii U.

Harrumph, the wave bird was a fantastic controller, so they CAN do it. I liked the pro controller much more than the 2 sides slotted into that thing.

• Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    No idea about the validity of this. I'm sure we'll know in the coming days and weeks but apparently the portable screen displays a max resolution of 720p, so I'm assuming there is going to be some upscaling being done by the dock unit. Thing is, what do game developers have to do to their games? Do they do native 1080p support and the portable hardware do downscaling, or vice versa?

The GPU is a custom nVidia Tegra chip. Isn't that mobile device GPU? While it should have low power requirements I wonder if it has the horsepower to run complex games at 1080p.

I don't know. Obviously no one should ever underestimate Nintendo but my personal impression is that they developed a hybrid console that won't excel at handheld gaming or traditional console gaming. Plus, it's cartridge based. Unless they can cram the same amount of data as a blu ray disc based system I wonder how much cross platform games will have to be compromised to run on the Switch.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    The 720p portable screen should be good enough. Sure, I'd want 1080p, but that's probably overkill on a smaller screen, but, yeah, it comes down to whether that hampers the big screen (where it'll definitely get the most play from me). Maybe the base unit does some of the heavy lifting to allow for upscaling? Who knows.

SD cards can go as big as 512GB from what I've seen. A dual layer blu ray holds 50GB of data, from what I understand, so Nintendo should be able to get the same amount of info on those cards without a problem. The question is whether it's worth it, cost-wise, for them to do so.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    My main problem with this, is that just like the WiiU, 3DS, DS, etc, the main "innovative" feature of the console doesn't really matter to me at all.

If Nintendo literally just put out an Xbox One with their games on it I would be just as happy to buy their new console. Probably moreso since there wouldn't be any gimmicky bullshit that is only used for like 2 games.
  • Scraper
    Scraper
    GT Member
    on 1477005116:

My main problem with this, is that just like the WiiU, 3DS, DS, etc, the main "innovative" feature of the console doesn't really matter to me at all.

If Nintendo literally just put out an Xbox One with their games on it I would be just as happy to buy their new console. Probably moreso since there wouldn't be any gimmicky bullshit that is only used for like 2 games.

The last time they put out a vanilla console was the Gamecube. And that didn't go so well for them. Although I did own one from launch and loved it.
  • leo8877
    leo8877
    GT Member
    I must no longer be the demo for Nintendo anymore as I thought this looked like hot garbage.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    on 1477060091:

on 1477005116:

The last time they put out a vanilla console was the Gamecube. And that didn't go so well for them. Although I did own one from launch and loved it.

This is true, and they followed it with the innovative Wii and blew everyone out of the water.

The problem is that the lesson they took from this is that they have to innovate every time, and that's just not really possible.

And the Switch might have been amazing a few years back, but in the face of utterly ubiquitous mobile devices that have been steadily cutting into Nintendo's portable share, they've created something to compete that doesn't really. The reason mobile devices have been so successful for gaming is simple: people already have them on their person when they feel like playing a game. The phone or tablet is always on hand in the modern age, and if you can deliver gaming content there, people will use it. I suspect people aren't really interested in lugging around another portable device when they already have one (which is the lesson they should have learned with the declining 3DS numbers).

OTOH, I was looking at some online comments from people who seem like average joes, and they did seem interested, so what do I know.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    on 1477060091:

on 1477005116:

It's not like anyone gave a shit about the WiiU and it's special features either. Or the 3D part of the 3DS. Or the second screen part of the DS.

Some of their hardware hits because it gets enough of a momentum behind it, and some doesn't. The gimmicks are not what make them stand out other than the Wii and it's motion control, which had it's surge and then died in popularity when the novelty wore off. They did not expand the gaming market, they sold some gimmicks for a couple Christmases.
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    I skipped Wii, but did get (and still have, it's dusty :icon_smile:) Gamecube, GBA, DS, 3DS, 3DS Max but confess they're all gathering moss and dust somewhere. I mean, the games are the thing, and if you find something you truly love, they're all great systems. I found stuff I liked, but not in the end anything that kept me hooked.

Same with Switch, I'd say. I mean, it's the software. If the games are there, I'd probably get it, if I can't find something that calls out to me, I won't.

I do find a little peculiar the idea of a system where you're essentially "hiding" a tablet inside the console. I mean, does the tablet need to be in there if you're playing the game on your TV? Or is it just there for recharging? Guess I don't understand that part.

Suspect this is their maybe last ditch effort to stay relevant as hardware-maker in a world taken over by smartphones and tablets. I mean, I see little kids out and around playing with iPhones and Android phones, and tablets of both type all the time. It's not 1985, 1995 or 2005 anymore. Very different competitive landscape.
  • JCC
    JCC
    GT Member
    I loved the NES/SNES during my teens through college, and I adored the Gamecube which was criminally underappreciated (or at least "under-purchased"), so I have a bit of a soft spot for Nintendo. Having said that, the Wii was a disaster for me after the launch window, and the Wii U still doesn't have enough games I want to justify picking it up - in fact 2 of the main things I want to play on it are just HD remasters. The 3DS I bought was mostly a mistake. I bought it when I was traveling a lot for work, but almost immediately after buying it that traveling mostly ended. I did absolutely love A Link Between Worlds and had a lot of fun with the (older) Fire Emblem game that came out for it. But, mostly it has collected dust. With all that said, after thinking about this new system, I think their move to combine a portable and home console may have some merit.

Now that they have combined their portable and home gaming developers into just one group of Switch developers, it should be easier for them to keep a more steady stream of new games. This also means that going forward if you like Nintendo first party games, you only need one device to play all of them. That actually makes the price more palatable - and I still expect it to be higher than it should be since they apparently won't sell it at a loss. As everyone says whenever any new Nintendo console comes out (since the cube), the question now is: Did they make it easy and appealing for 3rd party developers to code for it? Also, what are the Virtual Console and/or backwards compatibility capabilites? Can we finally own games based on account that go from device to device?

One other point. Competing head to head with Sony/MS has shrunk their market share with the Wii U. Also, the 3DS, while broadly considered a success is hurting badly against more ubiquitous portable devices (smartphones/tablets). With this device they don't have to win against either of those 2 markets. They just need to get a decent chunk out of BOTH markets combined. This seems like something that might be possible, or at least more possible than competing with the markets 1 on 1 with 2 separate devices.

I still don't know if I want one of these things, but I have more interest than I ever had in the Wii U.

• Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    on 1477071012:

I skipped Wii, but did get (and still have, it's dusty :icon_smile:) Gamecube, GBA, DS, 3DS, 3DS Max but confess they're all gathering moss and dust somewhere. I mean, the games are the thing, and if you find something you truly love, they're all great systems. I found stuff I liked, but not in the end anything that kept me hooked.

Same with Switch, I'd say. I mean, it's the software. If the games are there, I'd probably get it, if I can't find something that calls out to me, I won't.

I do find a little peculiar the idea of a system where you're essentially "hiding" a tablet inside the console. I mean, does the tablet need to be in there if you're playing the game on your TV? Or is it just there for recharging? Guess I don't understand that part.

Suspect this is their maybe last ditch effort to stay relevant as hardware-maker in a world taken over by smartphones and tablets. I mean, I see little kids out and around playing with iPhones and Android phones, and tablets of both type all the time. It's not 1985, 1995 or 2005 anymore. Very different competitive landscape.

The reason the tablet plugs into the console is that the tablet is the console. The point is that you plug the game cartridge in, play on your TV, then, when you have to go somewhere, slip the tablet out of the console (which may just be a docking station, really, that remains to be seen) and continue right where you left off. It's kind of the whole point of the thing, being able to SwitchTM from console to portable in an instant.

on 1477073510:

I loved the NES/SNES during my teens through college, and I adored the Gamecube which was criminally underappreciated (or at least "under-purchased"), so I have a bit of a soft spot for Nintendo. Having said that, the Wii was a disaster for me after the launch window, and the Wii U still doesn't have enough games I want to justify picking it up - in fact 2 of the main things I want to play on it are just HD remasters. The 3DS I bought was mostly a mistake. I bought it when I was traveling a lot for work, but almost immediately after buying it that traveling mostly ended. I did absolutely love A Link Between Worlds and had a lot of fun with the (older) Fire Emblem game that came out for it. But, mostly it has collected dust. With all that said, after thinking about this new system, I think their move to combine a portable and home console may have some merit.

Now that they have combined their portable and home gaming developers into just one group of Switch developers, it should be easier for them to keep a more steady stream of new games. This also means that going forward if you like Nintendo first party games, you only need one device to play all of them. That actually makes the price more palatable - and I still expect it to be higher than it should be since they apparently won't sell it at a loss. As everyone says whenever any new Nintendo console comes out (since the cube), the question now is: Did they make it easy and appealing for 3rd party developers to code for it? Also, what are the Virtual Console and/or backwards compatibility capabilites? Can we finally own games based on account that go from device to device?

One other point. Competing head to head with Sony/MS has shrunk their market share with the Wii U. Also, the 3DS, while broadly considered a success is hurting badly against more ubiquitous portable devices (smartphones/tablets). With this device they don't have to win against either of those 2 markets. They just need to get a decent chunk out of BOTH markets combined. This seems like something that might be possible, or at least more possible than competing with the markets 1 on 1 with 2 separate devices.

I still don't know if I want one of these things, but I have more interest than I ever had in the Wii U.

The problem is that there's a difference between most mobile/portable games and console games. The former is usually made up of shorter, quick hit experiences, while the latter is usually something you want to settle into the couch for. Of course, there are crossovers, but while playing Skyrim on a plane makes sense, trying to do it at a bus stop doesn't as much.

To answer some other questions.

Apparently, they once again did not make it easy for 3rd party folks. The Switch is the only console with an NVidia GPU (and a mobile one at that...the dev kits have an older version, but the optimistic are hoping the retail device gets the newer version that NVidia is probably launching in the spring...either way, it'll be optimized, at least). AMD to NVidia can sometimes cause hiccups aplenty in a PC environment, and when you're dealing with optimized console hardware, it's even more of a challenge.

There is no physical backwards compatibility. There's no disc drive, so you can't get the games in the unit, period. Now maybe Nintendo will be very generous and enable you to transfer rights, but I wouldn't count on it. But even if they do, the architecture is apparently different, and it doesn't seem likely that the Switch would even be able to run Wii or Wii U stuff. That said, it is powerful enough that we could see some Gamecube Virtual Console titles. I can't imagine VC won't continue.

You may be right about not needing a win over all of those markets and just needing a profitable chunk, but I'm worried that trying to cover all bases makes them a master of none. Also, from the advertising and the mere fact that you are carrying around an expensive looking screen, plus the likelihood that they won't be selling at a loss means that this isn't going to have a ton of appeal for parents. And this is Nintendo, which parents (at least US Parents) equate with kids. The only plus I see for them is to give little Dylan or Skylar something to keep them the hell off the parent's phone, but really, what parent is looking for even more screen time for their kids at this point?
  • JCC
    JCC
    GT Member
    Eurogamer is reporting that the new Zelda will not be ready in time for the Switch launch.
  • Isgrimnur
    Isgrimnur
    GT Member
    It takes time to learn how to put gold chrome on a new console.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    So their press conference revealing first big info is tonight/today. Starting in about a half hour, for anyone that is paying attention to this thread.

• EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    March 3 worldwide, $300, online service will be free for ~6 months and then become a paid service.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    Man, a lot of that was terrible to watch. So many awkward, lame moments, and the "let's switch to another game/person" pun was stupid after the 100th time.

As for the hardware and games, it's an interesting concept, but unless you do a lot of gaming on the go, which I don't, the appeal isn't quite there. I'm going to sit out the launch and wait and see.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    on 1484286128:

As for the hardware and games, it's an interesting concept, but unless you do a lot of gaming on the go, which I don't, the appeal isn't quite there. I'm going to sit out the launch and wait and see.

Yeah, other than the obvious Zelda and Mario there wasn't much too interesting. And I don't think the weird little controllers are appealing at all.

What kills me is that I keep seeing people saying this is Nintendo returning to "no gimmick", when this whole system seems like gimmick on top of gimmick. Maybe it will work out...it seems every time I think Nintendo is on crack they are successful, so that would be about right.
  • Lordnine
    Lordnine
    GT Member
    As a WiiU early adopter with no regrets I was pretty underwhelmed by what I’ve seen so far. The games are the big thing so maybe today’s presentation will impress me more.

So far I’ve seen:
    Zelda (Never been a fan of 3D Zelda)
    Mario (Weird Mario in the real world is a no go for me)
    Splatoon 2 (I liked Splatoon but I honestly didn’t play it that much)
    Bunch of JRPGs (meh)