looking for video card advice

Punisher
Punisher
edited September 2016 in Hardware / Software Hell
I currently have 2 GTX 980's in SLI.
1 is ready for a trade-in in Oct, the other is ready some time next year.
I should get about $550 for each one.
My choices are:
1) trade-in the one for Oct and get a 1080GTX for about $150 extra. Do the same next year when the other one is due, but 1080GTX prices will probably go down by then.
2) Trade-in both in Oct and "lose" the extra time for the second one, but use the money towards a Titan X and spend about $150 more.

Rig is used primarily for gaming. Monitors are 23" running at 1920x1080. One of the monitors is 120Hz so that I can use my Nvidia 3D glasses (although I don't actually use them too often anymore).
Secondary use is for 3D artwork/rendering and relys on CUDA a lot.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Where/how do you do the trade-in on video cards? I've never heard of that.

I don't have any personal recommendation other than SLI is almost never worthwhile since so many games don't properly support it.
  • Punisher
    Punisher
    GT Member
    Well. It is a sort of trade in. I get my cards at Microcenter and ever since I first bought one from them years ago, I was told to buy their warranty and then to just return it under warranty to the store for a refund and get a new one. I have been told this NUMEROUS times by various employee's and managers over the years. It sounded odd to me, but it has been working for years.
    It came about because I bought video cards with lifetime warranties and said I didn't need theirs if mine already came with a lifetime one...
    So every time the warranty is about up I do a "trade-in" and get something new. I currently have 2 cards from them with different purchase dates which is why I have the options I mentioned.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Aah, I see. I haven't often lived near a Microcenter so I wasn't aware of that policy. That's a pretty good deal, especially if the employees are recommending it like that! I wouldn't mind getting full price back for a 2 year old videocard.
  • Punisher
    Punisher
    GT Member
    on 1473088082:

Aah, I see. I haven't often lived near a Microcenter so I wasn't aware of that policy. That's a pretty good deal, especially if the employees are recommending it like that! I wouldn't mind getting full price back for a 2 year old videocard.

Yep. It's the only reason I have 2 good cards... Started way back, bought a decent one, then when it was time to return, I had saved enough to buy a high end card and have been doing thast ever since. Usually I get whatever is around the $500-$700 mark at the time and if I need to pay a little more, no big deal. You have to buy the warranty again, but it's worth it. I can basically get a GTX 1080 for about $200 out of pocket...
  • Mystic95Z
    Mystic95Z
    GT Member
    I dunno how in the heck they can give $550 for a 980 considering its not as fast as a cheaper 1070.
  • Punisher
    Punisher
    GT Member
    It's basically under warranty. With the replacement warranty, you can exchange it in the store and they do that by giving you store credit based on your purchase price.
    I ended up getting a GTX 1080, mostly because they didn't have anyTitans. This will turn out for the best I think because the new series of cards do not work with Nvidia's iray which I use for 3D rendering, so I have a 1080 and a 980 in my PC right now.
  • Mystic95Z
    Mystic95Z
    GT Member
    I'd certainly like to have one of those around here...

A microcenter that is...