Volition - Agents of Mayhem

Soulchilde
Soulchilde
edited June 2016 in Video Games
With E3 around the corner I guess new games announcement will start rolling out the closer we get. Today it's Agents of Mayhem guess we won't be seeing a new Saint's Row for awhile

Comments

• EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Oh look, a character-based blah blah blah. ::)

Honestly I have no clue what kind of game this is based on that rendered cinematic, but it seems to maybe be a much further extension of what they had been doing with the super powers in the last Saints Row games anyway. Hopefully a coop open world action game and not another fucking MOBA or I'm going to stab somebody.

I'm kind of glad they are giving Saints Row a rest. Those last couple games ran it into the ground a bit.
  • Caine
    Caine
    GT Member
    It was described as:

So it's an exclusively single-player open-world action game featuring characters with cool guns, gadgets, and abilities to toy around with

So, basically new Saint's Row style game, ala SR4
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Ah, ok then. So yeah, basically just taking the Saints Row 4/Gat Out of Hell thing to the next level in a new IP that allows them to get away from this stuff that was making gang warfare seem silly.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Really interesting to see that on the Volition jobs page they are hiring for 6 different temporary positions (5 of which are art-based) that only run until October of this year. Are they trying to crunch and get this game out before the holidays?
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    This is actually in the Saint's Row universe, so that makes it more intriguing for me. I got really into Saint's Row for the first time last year.
  • whiteboyskim
    whiteboyskim
    GT Member
    The first two SRs weren't that great, IMO, but they went crazy with the third one and I loved it. There were moments in that where I could barely breathe from laughing so hard. And the fourth one is a gem. Now I love this series so hard.
  • Caine
    Caine
    GT Member
    It's funny as I have had the opposite reaction to the series from WBS. I liked the gang war motif and I thought they went too far with 3 and 4.

I have an odd affinity for all Volition games, but it sadly seems to go the same way each time. They make a great game, improve on it, then either dump it altogether, quit making them or lose the license. Yet, every time the start a new IP, I love it and want more.

Descent Freespace
    Red Faction
    Summoner
    Saints Row

The make games I have enjoyed so much it hurts when I think of it. I would love a new game in any of these series and while AoM is technically in the same universe, I don't see it as a SR game, and certainly not in the SR2 style I enjoyed most.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    I'm in the same boat. I loved SR1. SR2 was the best in the series, IMO. SR3 was goofy fun, but I thought SR4 was just too far in the wrong directions (and the hell expansion even more so). Still enjoyed them, but I felt like it had peaked and was in a slow decline.

But if they announced a new SR game, I'd be in. I'm certainly eyeing this one with interest.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Personally Saints Row 3 was the peak for me, but I did love even the first game. I felt like 3 was just the perfect amount of goofiness, and 4 went way too far but was still a fun game.

Gat Out of Hell went even further and was the low point for me, but that wasn't even developed by Volition I guess.

Oh, and I'd agree that Volition always seems to make really interesting games that don't quite break out as much as they need. Or they get screwed by their publisher or something.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Here is a gameplay video that they were showing off at E3:
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    They have released a new Bad vs Evil trailer and announced that the game will be coming out on August 15th this year. Looks like a good time to me!
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    I just read a preview (can't find it now), and the reporter kept coming back to the question: "Why isn't this just a Saint's Row game?"

Does look fun, though.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    on 1491247121:

I just read a preview (can't find it now), and the reporter kept coming back to the question: "Why isn't this just a Saint's Row game?"

Probably because they kind of ran that franchise into the ground? You became the president. With superpowers. Aliens invaded. They blew up the earth. You went into cyberspace. You went to literal hell. It's kind of run out of places to go.

This gives them a chance to be in a new city, with an all-new cast of characters and changes to core mechanics rebalancing everything without breaking the fiction or history that fanboys would cause an outcry about.

I loved Saints Row, especially 3 and 4, but I for one am very happy that this is a brand new franchise.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    I'm almost positive that I posted this Franchise Force trailer here yesterday, but that post seems to have disappeared. Perhaps the forum rolled back to an older version in the upgrade.

Anyway, my impressions of the game from this trailer are not good. it really seems to be forcing the attitude and just trying too hard overall. We'll see how it comes together in the final product.

This "Legal Action Pending" DLC shown at the end did make me smile, though.

e6d4594fde58f3f2257172c36acd4376b252a969.jpg
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    I had really quit paying too much attention to all the trailers and hero announcements for this game, but since it comes out this week (and I apparently bought it), here's the launch trailer:

• EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Ok, I have played for maybe an hour and a half and so far I have to say that I like it quite a bit! Maybe because my expectations had been lowered by some annoying trailers and such, but it's a bit of a surprise.

My only real complaint up to this point is that sometimes it feels like they're rushing you through stuff a little bit. I'm hoping after I complete more of the missions I'm given a bit more freedom to just go do my own thing, and based on the side missions I've seen around the city I think that will be the case.
  • Dante Rising
    Dante Rising
    GT Member
    I'm not too worried about the frame rate issues that are being reported, as I know Volition will hammer that out. But how are you liking the overall characters and storyline?
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member edited August 2017
    I'm not too worried about the frame rate issues that are being reported, as I know Volition will hammer that out. But how are you liking the overall characters and storyline?

Much better than expected. I was pretty put off by some of their trailers and what felt like a really forced "attitude", but in the game it's actually great!

Every character you have in your squad makes little quips depending on what you're doing, in the missions, and they will tell you when they are better equipped to handle an enemy (since some do better damage against shields, etc).

The cast of characters is pretty diverse and seems to be at least racially inclusive with people from all over the globe, and plenty of male and female characters around. I've only unlocked a couple playable Agents beyond the first three, but each one seems unique with their own motivations and such (at least to the degree they can be in a game like this).

And for the overall story they really do go out of their way to make everything seem cartoonish, like an episode of the old GI Joe show or something (sometimes more overtly than others). Very well done production values, writing, acting, etc.

FWIW, my framerate isn't bad once I turned off the special Nvidia shadows stuff, and once you're moving that is basically not even noticed (by me, at least).
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member edited August 2017
    Oh, I should say, despite being very much like old cartoons, there is still swearing and some dick jokes and things, so probably not entirely kid-friendly. Especially the Johnny Gat free day one DLC character, as you might expect from his role in the Saints Row games.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    I am enjoying the game, and I'm glad to be playing it because I expect Volition to build on the universe over time in a similar way to what they did with Saints Row.

However, I can understand some of the lukewarm reviews. The world does seem a little empty. The swearing, while mostly inoffensive, does seem oddly out of place or at least forced. The combat does get a little samey after a short time (though bringing new agents or gadgets into battle is where the variety hits).

But, as a way to get back into a Saintsesque game without it being SR itself, I'm happy.

As for why they felt the need to start from scratch, I get that, too. There really wasn't anywhere to go with the Saints. I mean, when you've got superhero presidents and a visit to Hell itself, what else is there to do, really? This GI Joe world gives them a clean slate to build up from, and I hope it's at least mildly successful so they can.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Well, for anybody who was on the fence or wanted to try it but not at full price, it's now only $20 on Steam during this weekend's Deep Silver publisher sale.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/304530/Agents_of_Mayhem/

Obviously the reviews found it more mediocre overall, but I did enjoy my time with it. I never really went back to this after getting sidetracked, and I'd like to play more when I get a chance.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    EngineNo9 wrote: »
    Well, for anybody who was on the fence or wanted to try it but not at full price, it's now only $20 on Steam during this weekend's Deep Silver publisher sale.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/304530/Agents_of_Mayhem/

Obviously the reviews found it more mediocre overall, but I did enjoy my time with it. I never really went back to this after getting sidetracked, and I'd like to play more when I get a chance.

I felt the same, but the other night I went to play, but found myself totally underwhelmed by the idea.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Clearly this didn't gain a ton of traction around here, but I see that Academy Games has an already successful Kickstarter campaign going for a board game based on Agents of Mayhem:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617871702/agents-of-mayhem-pride-of-babylon

50fd956e7da0e2c2f4e74c75fc7e7d95_original.jpg?w=680&fit=max&v=1517420513&auto=format&q=92&s=6e303669b17adfd21780aebba1af2031

c1c1bd20b6ddebfca14c076bef526db8_original.png?w=680&fit=max&v=1517439771&auto=format&lossless=true&s=d38cabacb84d0d29f5e4e792d3feeee2
  • uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager
    EngineNo9 wrote: »
    Clearly this didn't gain a ton of traction around here, but I see that Academy Games has an already successful Kickstarter campaign going for a board game based on Agents of Mayhem:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/617871702/agents-of-mayhem-pride-of-babylon

50fd956e7da0e2c2f4e74c75fc7e7d95_original.jpg?w=680&fit=max&v=1517420513&auto=format&q=92&s=6e303669b17adfd21780aebba1af2031

c1c1bd20b6ddebfca14c076bef526db8_original.png?w=680&fit=max&v=1517439771&auto=format&lossless=true&s=d38cabacb84d0d29f5e4e792d3feeee2

You might even notice all of the ads on the site... ;)

Mike Dunn
    Executive Producer & Editor-at-Large
    GAMING TREND

• EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Oh yeah... all of those ads I see :#