I'm building a new PC for first time 15 years

Bob
Bob
edited May 2016 in Hardware / Software Hell
I'm pretty excited but ..no video card yet. Waiting for 1070/1080.

a9M9hkP.jpg

Comments

• Greg Wak
    Greg Wak
    GT Member
    Are you waiting for the partner boards? You can get nvidia's board now but it is vanilla. I think the other boards will be a tad better.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    on 1464394141:

Are you waiting for the partner boards? You can get nvidia's board now but it is vanilla. I think the other boards will be a tad better.

I think all of the first shipment boards sold out everywhere. I wasn't able to find one earlier today.

As for the build, looks like you're going to have some fun! I like the fact that you got the droids in on the project. :icon_wink:
  • Caine
    Caine
    GT Member
    And potentially cheaper? I remember reading that the reference board is priced higher than suggested msrp.
  • Bob
    Bob
    GT Member
    Definitely planning on some partner board. Can't decide between 1070 and 1080. Think 1070 is fine for my needs (ended up just getting a 1080p monitor for now), but 1080 is tempting.

Got everything built after some birth pains. Couldn't get RAM to work in the sockets the manual advised, but got them to work in slots 1 & 2 (manual recommended 2 & 4, but that wouldn't post.)

Then I found out that the 960GB SSD I bought new from Amazon was a 120GB SSD with a 960GB SSD label on it. Gah!
    Returned that and got a new one.

Now I'm just waiting for a video card since the Intel GPU is still pretty useless.
  • Greg Wak
    Greg Wak
    GT Member
    So how long do you plan on keeping/using the 1080p monitor? Because at that res, you won't notice a difference between the 1070 and 1080. 4K would be a different case. If you will use 1080 for a couple of years, stick with the 1070 because something better than the 1080 2 yrs from now.
  • Crawley
    Crawley
    GT Member
    Will be curious to hear how this goes. I'm in the same boat and haven't put together a computer in about that time frame. Kinda have an itch to try it again. I know it's supposed to be really easy these days but I still have hesitation given how much of a PITA it was back then to assemble everything but more so with getting everything working together.

So look forward to hearing how this goes for you.
  • drifter
    drifter
    GT Member
    I am in need of a new desktop computer as well what was the cost of the parts you put together? I used to build all my desktops then said the hell with that about 6 years ago and started buying gaming desktops. I get them thru newegg usually either an Ibuypower or cyberpower PC.
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    Bob wrote: »
    I'm pretty excited but ..no video card yet. Waiting for 1070/1080.

a9M9hkP.jpg
    So how did this 2016 PC BYO project go? B)
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    I don't remember ever seeing that picture. I love the two droids looking like they are planning to help out lol.