Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Wildlands (from Tom Clancy's Ubisoft)

EngineNo9
EngineNo9
edited May 2016 in Video Games
From the time this was announced at last year's E3 I have been torn between feeling like this is another game that pulls further away from the classic Tom Clancy brand of authentic combat, and being excited for an open world game that mixes a bit of Ghost Recon, Just Cause and Far Cry.

They've just released this new trailer that doesn't do much to change that conflicted feeling, but I think I'm choosing to just be excited about it rather than continue saying "things just aren't the way they used to be". It looks fun!

Comments

• Dante Rising
    Dante Rising
    GT Member
    I miss the old Ubisoft days, when Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon were more complex tactical shooters. I agree with you a that this looks like a combination of Just Cause and Farcry, and that isn't a good thing to me. I have this lingering sense of dread that the game will feature a truckload of collectiblle relics or cell phone message intercepts scattered throughout the map.

I'm not certain that I can blame Ubisoft, however. I don't think the average gamer has the patience for a classic Ghost Recon game any longer.
  • Caine
    Caine
    GT Member
    I enjoyed the classic GR games, going back to GR1, and this looks like a spiritual successor to Mercenaries more than GR. That said, I always wanted a cleaner sequel to that game and a nice open world in which to cause havoc with friends sounds good to me. JC 3 is so over the top and does not feature the best shooting mechanics. GRW also looks to do the open co-op better than The Division did as I see no signs of RPG aspects, which rather turned Division into a loot grind.
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    Really looking forward to this one.

Thinking of going PC, after reading Ron's writeup

http://gamingtrend.com/2017/01/25/freedom-to-act-tom-clancys-ghost-recon-wildlands-hands-on-preview/

I want that lethality to be keyboard and mouse. ;)
  • jztemple2
    jztemple2
    GT Member
    I too am very excited, especially when I see reviewer comments that note that the enemies aren't bullet sponges like they are in The Division. I do have my usual concern about any game that offers a co-op mode. I play solo and I hate it when a game, while supposedly accommodating the single player, doesn't work as well as in co-op.

On the other hand, the vast area of the map is very encouraging, as long as the gameplay allows me to usefully explore the map. Far Cry 3 and 4 are great in this respect.
  • Dante Rising
    Dante Rising
    GT Member
    This isn't Ghost Recon. This is Far Cry tilted in a slightly different direction. I'll avoid making too many judgements on limited info, but they seem to have forsaken the game's roots for the bland, cardboard cutout, by the numbers Ubisoft shooter recipe.

I think I'm bitter after they crushed Rainbow Six.
  • jztemple2
    jztemple2
    GT Member
    on 1485568651:

This isn't Ghost Recon. This is Far Cry tilted in a slightly different direction. I'll avoid making too many judgements on limited info, but they seem to have forsaken the game's roots for the bland, cardboard cutout, by the numbers Ubisoft shooter recipe.

I think I'm bitter after they crushed Rainbow Six.

I'm guessing that your use of "crushed" was not meant in a positive sense? :icon_biggrin:

I agree, I hate how Rainbow Six was morphed from a heavy duty planning and clockwork execution game to another version of Counterstrike.

Regarding Wildlands, I'll take the changeover into a more Far Cry like game, as long as I don't have to keep climbing towers :paranoid:
  • Caine
    Caine
    GT Member
    I'm reservedly excited for this. The open world freedom with long term effects on your enemies along with co-op sounds like a great idea. The lack of intelligent AI for the SP has me a little worried though.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    Ron clued me in on Steam chat that this is 3rd person (I tagged it myself on Steam to at least remind me). I swear I can't find a single reference on the store page or the web page or the gameplay videos even -- I really couldn't tell because the camera is swooping all over the place aside from one 3rd person view of a player manning a turret in a vehicle, and much of the footage is cinematics stuff. It doesn't bother me, I just found that odd.

Certainly sounds like fun, and vehicles certainly weren't something in The Division. I guess I'm leery of running into drastic difficulty spikes as in The Division or scripted enemies that are too predictable. I did sign up for PC beta so hopefully I'll get to enjoy some impressions soon. :icon_smile:
  • raydude
    raydude
    GT Member
    on 1485582237:

Ron clued me in on Steam chat that this is 3rd person (I tagged it myself on Steam to at least remind me). I swear I can't find a single reference on the store page or the web page or the gameplay videos even -- I really couldn't tell because the camera is swooping all over the place aside from one 3rd person view of a player manning a turret in a vehicle, and much of the footage is cinematics stuff. It doesn't bother me, I just found that odd.

Certainly sounds like fun, and vehicles certainly weren't something in The Division. I guess I'm leery of running into drastic difficulty spikes as in The Division or scripted enemies that are too predictable. I did sign up for PC beta so hopefully I'll get to enjoy some impressions soon. :icon_smile:

I'm intrigued by the mention that the enemies aren't bullet sponges a la The Division. I suppose GR:W can get away with that since this isn't a persistent online game like The Division, so there's no concept of level grinding to the top-most tier and an end-game raid.
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    That Dutch Steam pal I mentioned sometimes, he offered to send a beta invite as he got into some sort of beta for this and as with For Honor they let you invite a few friends. So hopefully I'll get to try it.

I uninstalled the For Honor closed beta since that ended and it releases pretty soon. While I don't need 100GB free on my 2TB hard drive I just like to try to keep around that much leeway. I'm sure at some point the temption to add another hard drive to accommodate increasingly large monster install footprints will be too great to ignore. :icon_smile:
  • Soulchilde
    Soulchilde
    GT Member
    Don't look like I got into this beta on the XB1, sadly. Was anxious to try this out more than For Honor
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    on 1486061340:

Don't look like I got into this beta on the XB1, sadly. Was anxious to try this out more than For Honor

Same here. I really want this one to be great and would have liked to try the beta to see if it's up my alley.
  • Caine
    Caine
    GT Member
    Also did not get in with the beta, sadly. I am already eyeing a 1070 to replace the GPU I have, so if I end up pulling the trigger, they'll toss in a free game, either this or For Honor. I already played that and while it's fun, I don't think it's my cup of tea.
  • Soulchilde
    Soulchilde
    GT Member
    on 1486061340:

And my invite popped up this morning. So I can invite three friends. Just need you Ubisoft ID. As usual long time forum users only
  • raydude
    raydude
    GT Member
    on 1486121646:

on 1486061340:

And my invite popped up this morning. So I can invite three friends. Just need you Ubisoft ID. As usual long time forum users only

Is this for the PC version? If so could I get an invite please? UID:raydudeprime
  • Soulchilde
    Soulchilde
    GT Member
    on 1486127458:

on 1486121646:

on 1486061340:

Is this for the PC version? If so could I get an invite please? UID:raydudeprime

sorry I got in for XB1
  • Caine
    Caine
    GT Member
    Yup, I got in too. Same offer as SC, I have 3 for PC.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
  • Caine
    Caine
    GT Member
    Ubi's site is a mes for me at the moment. Can't even log in.
  • Isgrimnur
    Isgrimnur
    GT Member
    Isgrimnur_OO. PC would be preferred, but XBOne will work as well. Much appreciated.
  • Caine
    Caine
    GT Member
    Ok. Sending one to Ray and Grim once the invites are accepted.
  • raydude
    raydude
    GT Member
    on 1486133093:

Got the invite and accepted. Anybody up for playing tonight? I can get on after 10pm EST.
    Oh wait - forgot about the whole "need to download game" thing. Anyway, I'll try to download it tonight and if it finishes I'll be online.
  • Caine
    Caine
    GT Member
    Invitations sent, hopefully. The page errored out first time I tried it and gave me a "not allowed to use this page" garbage. If the last beta invite experience from For Honor is any indication, it may take a while before you see it pop up in email or in the client.
  • Harkonis
    Harkonis
    GT Member
    put my code in for the xbox version, game isn't showing on my list to download or my queue. I see no way to get the game. :( If one of you is on and playing, invite me to the game and maybe it will trigger the download.
  • drifter
    drifter
    GT Member
    Downloading now will be done in a bit and try to invite you Hark. Gigabit from Uverse is going at 240Mb/s at the moment.
  • Harkonis
    Harkonis
    GT Member
    thanks. I think my issue is my home xbox is in the other room and out of space. I should have put the code in on this xbox instead of xbox.com :(
  • jztemple2
    jztemple2
    GT Member
    Downloaded the PC version and now I'm rolling back the graphics to try to get more than 30 fps. Damn, once my GTX 780 was more cutting edge...
  • Isgrimnur
    Isgrimnur
    GT Member
    on 1486133093:

Thank you, thank you. Downloading now so it will be ready when I get home.
  • jztemple2
    jztemple2
    GT Member
    Looked really awful at Low graphics, but got 60 fps. Decided to go back to High since Low looked so 2005. Got a pretty consistent 30 fps. The game was certainly playable at that framerate, however the gameplay is not really my cup of tea or rather mi taza de té. And I had two crashes and the last one wiped out the sensor monitoring from my GPU, which freaked me out. A reboot restored it, but I think I might hold off on playing again for a few hours.
  • drifter
    drifter
    GT Member
    I had fun and liked the game so far on the Xbox One. The first mission was like the set mission after that you pick and choose what to do and where to go. Had one mission change on the fly when I was asked to hijack a convoy. Being stealthy and speedy in your objectives seem pretty key; if reinforcements get called and arrive you are in trouble. Enemies go down pretty easy but so do you. Have only been playing single player no co-op yet for me.

One thing I did like in the first mission I bugged out and returned in a chopper that was available at the enemy base. When the briefing was done and I left the building to start another mission the chopper was right where I left it.

Been having trouble with TV's so the AT&T guy is here working on them or I would be playing more today.
  • Punisher
    Punisher
    GT Member
    I should have a couple of codes for PC for anyone that wants one.

Only played SP..
    Overall liking it...
    Did have an issue where the intro movie kept freezing, but nothing after that really.
    One thing to be careful of.... Weapon swaps... I have lost my original weapon a couple of times while picking up a new one to test. sometimes my original drops, sometimes it disappears. Also had it disappear when going through the loadout screen.. That upset me because I lost a nice sniper rifle...

not quite sold on vehicles yet. both land and air vehicles seem off...
    Will make a final decision after the beta, but so far leaning towards getting this at release.