[PS4, XB1, PC] Battlefield 1 (aka ATB's personal game log)

Comments

• drifter
    drifter
    GT Member
    spend your war bonds and upgrade the weapons the medic gets a nice machine gun that I am liking. Anti-armor grenade is good as is the incendiary grenade nice way to clear a house.
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    I would LOVE to play this with a small group of people who really want to work together.

My first full game tonight may as well have been Star Wars Battlefront. Just everybody's running around randomly like a chicken with its head cut off.

I was about to say that I remain hopeless because sure enough my 1st death was a sniper I couldn't see head shotting me. Second was some nut circle strafing me. Third was a bunch of enemy players eviscerating me off my horse. Think I started 0-8 and envisioned my GT forum post about how hopeless I am at this genre.

Finally i slowed down, I tried not to rush ahead so much. Tried to work alongside other players even if they had no interest in communicating. Also resorted to some deviousness -- see gunfire coming out of a structure, sneak around, pew pew pew. There's no "honor" in warfare, right? :icon_razz: And got some cheap kill helping man guns in a tank.

Can't say I suddenly "Got Gud," but went about 14-6 the rest of the game, people learned to fear my support's LMG. Think that's the right class for me so far. Just spray and pray with a huge clip. :icon_smile:

UPDATE: Well, no, I still suck. :icon_razz: I AM hopeless at this genre. I died lie 10 times in Conquest mode. Couldn't appear to hit the broadside of a barn even at point blank range.

I'm excited I don't get motion sick playing it but I think in the end it would just be a "die, respawn, get shot in the face/back/head" lather rinse repeat. The matchmaking doesn't seem to be matching me with rookie players but maybe that's cause everyone's a rookie now. Maybe it'd be more meaningful after release.
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    So Saturday was really less fun for me, and I suspect when the game's out I would just get ground up like so much mincemeat no matter if the matchmaking is supposed to match you up with similar rank players. In spite of my usual military FPS ineptitude, I did reach Rank Level 2 and earned 90 "war bonds." I'm not sure in beta if we can do anything with it. The main menu has a "Soldier" entry but is greyed out.

otoh, I do think if I could squad up (game has 5 player squads; you get your own chat channel/color) with a few folks from here or wherever, and we actually worked together like you're in theory supposed to, that would be neat. :icon_smile: Or we'd just get blown up by a grenade.... misery loves company! :sugarcookie:

One Helldivers bud I made recently on Steam is a BF4 veteran and I just clued him into the BF1 beta. So maybe if I could squad up with him and maybe he has friends more competent than I. :icon_smile:

BUGS: I did run into one really annoying bug that I can't figure out -- if I try to turn a vehicle OR aim a turret by mouse (Mouse X axis I think is how it's listed in keybindings) TO THE LEFT, then the "cursor focus" inexplicably switches into the chat window. I can't steer or fire or do anything until "switch cursor focus" back to the vehicle. Makes no sense. The keybinding is correct under options. Really makes it all but impossible for me to do anything vehicular other than planes and horses.

I can steer vehicle/aim turret to the RIGHT just fine; but to the LEFT, then this cursor switch to text chat happens and is maddening.
  • leo8877
    leo8877
    GT Member
    I think this is the best Battlefield game ever.
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    on 1472964264:

I think this is the best Battlefield game ever.
    ]If you - or anyone here - is maybe playing PC version, wanna throw me an Origin friend invite (corporalgeo), I can be your squadmate who gets shot in the back while you accomplish things. :icon_smile: I realize maybe I'm the only PC BF1 player here, but worth a try. :icon_smile:

Unfortunately, all morning long, I'm spawning invisible unless I spawn on a horse. Otherwise, I can't see me, weapon or anything and can't fire any thing. Such a bizarre bug, others on servers had same issue. Doesn't happen on empty servers so I assume it's some sort of data packets issue or something on crowded servers?

So DUUUUUUHHHH on my Left movement "bug" -- either I or the game somehow assigned Mouse X axis to TEAM CHAT...
    BF1%20beta%20LEFT%20problem%20solved_zpsgxchbd9t.jpg

I'm so awesome on empty servers! Seems a bit ridiculous you can rank up doing this... :icon_razz:
    BF1%20beta%20EMPTY%20SERVER%20AWESOME%20score_zpscoywudyp.jpg
    BF1%20beta%20EMPTY%20SERVER%20AWESOME1_zps2rerxojo.jpg
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    Dune buggy do!
    BF1%20vehicles%20car1_zpsel5ejd0e.jpg

Near full destructibility, is gud -- can run tanks through walls, and pulverize most structures...
    BF1%20vehicles%20British%20LT_zpsjwcray3c.jpg

Cavalry takes on Mega Gunnery Train Thing... Train Wins! :retard:
    BF1%20train%20vs%20cavalry1_zps9gzs9g5l.jpg
    BF1%20train%20vs%20cavalry2%20LOSES_zpsztrwmsxh.jpg
  • Punisher
    Punisher
    GT Member
    Blackjack... You can use warbonds to purchase new weapons. It seems you can only do this while connected to a game. Before you deploy, you select your common loadout/play style at the bottom, then to the left of that is a customize option that you can use to go buy other things.
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    on 1473013837:

Blackjack... You can use warbonds to purchase new weapons. It seems you can only do this while connected to a game. Before you deploy, you select your common loadout/play style at the bottom, then to the left of that is a customize option that you can use to go buy other things.
    Ah, OK, thanks! :icon_smile: I thought maybe it was some out-of-battle thing like the Cards in SW Battlefront.

A tutorial pop-up at some point briefly explained what to do with bonds, but it faded fast and I wasn't sure how to bring it back to re-read.
  • Punisher
    Punisher
    GT Member
    Had some big issues today. Tried playing afew times earlier and on about 6 different servers and every time I spawned, I had no weapons or items. The only time I was able to get a weapon was when I paid for one with my war bonds..
  • Zinfan
    Zinfan
    GT Member
    I'd think about it Blackjack but I'm going to be out of town for a few months when this hits.
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    on 1473039074:

Had some big issues today. Tried playing afew times earlier and on about 6 different servers and every time I spawned, I had no weapons or items. The only time I was able to get a weapon was when I paid for one with my war bonds..
    Were you invisible? My issue was like yours but couldn't see the arms/hands and weapon like usual. Couldn't fire. I COULD interact with vehicles and get in them, but when I got out, was invisible again. So bizarre.

German pal said when he could find a weapon on the ground to pick up, boom, then he was finally visible/normal again.

I know "it's beta" but I can't really provide feedback when I'm "inviso man." :icon_razz:
  • Punisher
    Punisher
    GT Member
    on 1473079724:

on 1473039074:

Were you invisible? My issue was like yours but couldn't see the arms/hands and weapon like usual. Couldn't fire. I COULD interact with vehicles and get in them, but when I got out, was invisible again. So bizarre.

German pal said when he could find a weapon on the ground to pick up, boom, then he was finally visible/normal again.

I know "it's beta" but I can't really provide feedback when I'm "inviso man." :icon_razz:

Now that you mention it yeah, I was invisible ...
    Vehicles worked, buying a weapon gave you that weapon only. Couldn't pick one up because I was never near someone who got killed and couldn't kill them myself.
  • leo8877
    leo8877
    GT Member
    I got to level 15 over the weekend and I still think this is the best battlefield yet. Conquest feels like an actual large battle and the map in the Beta is amazing. I wasn't even looking at this game and I will get it launch day now.
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    This Eurogamer take reflects some of my experience - good/bad/buggy bizarre. :icon_smile: I realize that it's "just in beta," so bizarre bugs are expected, but I've played enough betas that to think they'll actually stamp everything out by October seems, well... let's say "hopeful." :icon_smile:

Battlefield 1's beta is broken and brilliant in equal measure
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-09-06-battlefield-1s-beta-is-broken-and-brilliant-in-equal-measure
    [size=10pt]Horses really can be amazing things and Battlefield 1's steeds are up there with Agro and Epona as some of this medium's very best. And then, just as you're admiring the way your soldier's pouch bounces up and down by his side and every strap on his perfectly recreated uniform looks and moves like real leather, that's when you get snared on an innocuous looking pile of rubble while some preening edgelord with a sniper rifle kills you for the 16th time.[/size]
    I probably got killed by snipers a couple dozen times, blown up by tanks a few, gunned down by "circle strafing" grunt soldiers a few times who managed to miss my LMG fire at close range.

I love much of what the game tries to do. Just really have no idea if I could ever pull my weight enough with experienced players to contribute. For sure I felt the same way in SW Battlefront, but on some maps, some modes, I could consistently do reasonably well. Although clearly that's a game more meant to bring in more than the hardcore base.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    They have released the minimum and recommended specs. Which are kind of surprising, since the Minimum is below what I have and the beta still ran like absolute garbage on my machine with everything turned to Low.

Minimum:
    Processor: AMD FX-6350 or Intel Core i5 6600K
    Memory: 8GB RAM
    Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB or Nvidia GeForce GTX 660 2GB
    DirectX: 11.0 Compatible video card or equivalent

Recommended:
    Processor: AMD FX 8350 Wraith or Intel Core i7 4790 or equivalent
    Memory: 16GB RAM
    Graphics card: AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB or Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 3GB
    DirectX: 11.1 Compatible video card or equivalent

Both minimum and recommended configurations will require 50GB of hard drive space and a 512 KBPS or faster Internet connection.

Oh, and in case you're curious what they learned from the beta that is a short write-up. Shockingly, they learned that Conquest would be better with the way it always has been. ::)
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    Modes spelled out:
    https://www.battlefield.com/games/battlefield-1/modes?utm_campaign=bf1_hd_ww_ic_soco_twt_bf1-modesreveal-tw&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&cid=18899&ts=1474389005362&sf48747731=1

Maps spelled out:
    https://www.battlefield.com/games/battlefield-1/maps?utm_campaign=bf1_hd_ww_ic_soco_twt_bf1-mapsreveal-tw&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&cid=18898&ts=1474389173054&sf48747731=1

All sounds great but my beta echoes will be getting shot in the face by circle-strafing bunny hoppers and shot in the face by snipers 1,000 yards away I can't even see, people running in random directions from spawn points trying desperately not to get slaughtered etc. etc. etc. I'm unconvinced anyone actually wants to play BF1 as a tight knit team or squad. Why should they when they can just snipe and bunny hop and run people over and spam grenades etc.? I guess it was the same when BF1942 came out way back when. Maybe a bit late to complain about humanity now. :icon_razz:
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    Partial-reviews starting to show up...

'Battlefield 1' Review (Xbox One): History Repeated
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/games/2016/10/17/battlefield-1-review-xbox-one-history-repeated/#636c46366b21
    [size=10pt]In the end, Battlefield 1 will almost certainly not disappoint fans, but it’s hard to know how much it will expand its core playerbase either. All the game’s strengths are still present, from its gorgeous visuals to its sprawling battles, but so are its weaknesses. Battlefield 1 is a brilliant game in many ways, but it can also be an immensely frustrating experience at the same time, particularly in its most popular multiplayer modes.
    Fundamentally, Battlefield 1 is a great-looking skin for past Battlefield games. That’s not an insult, as the series has a storied legacy and the game can be very fun. But despite the switch to World War I, the changes feel mostly cosmetic, and though those cosmetics look fantastic, I don’t know if the game has what it takes to convert those who weren’t already fans. Maybe that’s fine, and clearly the game has gotten many people excited, but my only warning is to not go in thinking that this is going to be some dramatic leap forward for the series. It looks great, sounds great, and has those “holy crap!” moments the series is known for, but it is fundamentally not all that much different than what’s come before, and that includes some of the inherent faults of the series.[/size]
    Based on my beta experience, I don't plan to enlist. The single player vignettes sound interesting I guess, but seems more like training stuff essentially. Can't really call that an SP campaign per se imho.

imho what DICE can't program is human nature, which is to spam anything effective (including grenade spam, sniper shooting, running over folks w/ tanks, circle strafing, bunny hopping) and essentially to play as selfish as possible even in team vs. team modes because I never saw anything resembling people working together in a BF1 battle. Getting shot in the face and blown up by enemies I can't even see is maybe a BF Norm but just didn't find it much fun.

I loved riding the horses, though I suspect a Battlefield game where they'd serve more use than as a way to race to checkpoints -- like Battlefield Cossacks -- is probably not happening. :icon_razz:
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    More peaches and cream Polygon take...

http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/17/13303292/battlefield-1-review-xbox-one-ps4-playstation-4-pc-windows
    [size=10pt]Small issues aside, Battlefield 1 marks an impressive, risk-taking reinvention for the series. That the multiplayer is as good and distinctive as it is is less surprising than a campaign that takes a difficult setting and navigates it with skill and invention. The end result is a shooter than succeeded far beyond my expectations, and one that exists as the best, most complete Battlefield package since 2010.[/size]
    I'd still like to see a review by someone with little or no experience in the previous Battlefield games (like me, but don't look for a hopeless BF schmuck like me to review this :smirk:)
  • naednek
    naednek
    GT Moderator
    on 1476727279:

More peaches and cream Polygon take...

http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/17/13303292/battlefield-1-review-xbox-one-ps4-playstation-4-pc-windows
    [size=10pt]Small issues aside, Battlefield 1 marks an impressive, risk-taking reinvention for the series. That the multiplayer is as good and distinctive as it is is less surprising than a campaign that takes a difficult setting and navigates it with skill and invention. The end result is a shooter than succeeded far beyond my expectations, and one that exists as the best, most complete Battlefield package since 2010.[/size]
    I'd still like to see a review by someone with little or no experience in the previous Battlefield games (like me, but don't look for a hopeless BF schmuck like me to review this :smirk:)

checkout a site called Gamingtrend.com.... I hear they review games and I think the BF1 review was posted yesterday...
  • Dante Rising
    Dante Rising
    GT Member
    I might be in on this one. It sounds like the single player content is quite good.
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    Depends on what reviews you read. Ones I read suggested the single player AI is generally atrocious/brain dead, and the vignettes don't really offer any replayability. But I doubt it's what anyone's buying BF1 for.

It's released:
    https://www.battlefield.com/

Good luck in the meat grinder, dough boys! :paranoid:
  • Harpua3
    Harpua3
    GT Member
    Who's on PS4 with this? Just grabbed it!
  • Arclight
    Arclight
    GT Member
    Would really like some hands on impressions of the single player campaign. I avoid multiplay with games like this for the same reason others have stated.
  • drifter
    drifter
    GT Member
    Don't buy this for single player. The solo missions are short stories anywhere from 2 - 6 "arcs" so to speak. I have finished the air craft one and the Italian one they essentially introduce you to gameplay and different classes. They are nice stories but not worth buying the game for.
  • Arclight
    Arclight
    GT Member
    on 1477153844:

Don't buy this for single player. The solo missions are short stories anywhere from 2 - 6 "arcs" so to speak. I have finished the air craft one and the Italian one they essentially introduce you to gameplay and different classes. They are nice stories but not worth buying the game for.

Thanks for the warning.
  • Dante Rising
    Dante Rising
    GT Member
    on 1477153844:

#$#@!@#!!!
  • Caine
    Caine
    GT Member
    If you are on PC and have any interest in this but aren't willing to gamble $60 on it, I'd recommend the origin pass. $5 gets you 10 hours to play. I did that and had fun once I got past the initial awkwardness of the controls. Also, I would stick to only a few of the war stories, then play the conquest mode. It's much better than straight TDM or CTF and your k/d ratio doesn't factor in to your score, whereas playing the objectives and whatever your secondary role is makes a huge difference. I stuck with medic as it's a great balance of ranged and less twitchy rifles vs the assault class's and you can have a great impact on your team through heals/revives.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
  • Harkonis
    Harkonis
    GT Member
    I'm on XB1 playing the trial and my guy turns faster to the left than right. This seems odd and there is no setting to change that. what do?
  • leo8877
    leo8877
    GT Member
    This game and the maps are absolutely bonkers. They did such a good job with this wow. I love the old school battlefield music that plays in menus too.

Even the city maps are insane. Amiens is awesome with tons of nooks and crannies. I've never enjoyed a city map in the BF series and this one is great.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    I like Angry Joe's stuff but beware of language.

Battlefield 1 Angry Review