[PS4, XB1, PC] Battlefield 1 (aka ATB's personal game log)

Caine
Caine
edited September 2017 in Video Games
8|
Out October 21th
Set in WW1, with biplanes, zeppelins, bucket tanks and steam ships...

Reveal trailer

Comments

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Not a fan. Somehow their actioning up the conflict just makes me annoyed.
  • jztemple2
    jztemple2
    GT Member
    on 1462566577:

Not a fan. Somehow their actioning up the conflict just makes me annoyed.

Hey, I'm supposed to be the grumpy old man here! :icon_biggrin:

I'm OK with adding the action. It's just a setting. I will want to be convinced that the campaign makes it worth the money, since being a GOM I'm pretty much off multiplayer nowadays.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    Well I'm very interested. WWI is a time period that you hardly ever see in gaming.
  • Zinfan
    Zinfan
    GT Member
    I like it, and I like it much better than COD-Space Marine!
  • Lordnine
    Lordnine
    GT Member
    Huh, that could be fun. It’s the Hollywood over-the-top version of WW1 for sure but that is a heck of a lot more interesting than their last few settings!
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    So I guess now I am officially over caring about Battlefield. As if they hadn't been trying hard enough to run the franchise into the ground the last few years.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    on 1462570496:

Well I'm very interested. WWI is a time period that you hardly ever see in gaming.

Because warfare sucked back then. The guns sucked, the variety sucked...everything was primitive trench warfare.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    Then maybe they should try another time period that hasn't been attempted before, like WWII.
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    I like WW1 as a setting. I just don't like their treatment of it. Otherwise I'd be interested.
  • Jumangi
    Jumangi
    GT Member
    on 1462578193:

on 1462570496:

Because warfare sucked back then. The guns sucked, the variety sucked...everything was primitive trench warfare.

The trailer pretty clearly shows this isn't some WWI sim. More like WWI as envisioned by Michael Bay.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    on 1462603116:

on 1462578193:

on 1462570496:

The trailer pretty clearly shows this isn't some WWI sim. More like WWI as envisioned by Michael Bay.

They have said it's no alternate history, they're sticking with what was there. Which means there are none of the things that make most shooters enjoyable like variable scopes, red dot sights, holo sights, reflex sights, lots of automatic weapons.

They can make the trailer look as bombastic as they want, shooting crappy guns via iron sights is no fun for me.
  • Zinfan
    Zinfan
    GT Member
    on 1462634591:

on 1462603116:

on 1462578193:

on 1462570496:

They have said it's no alternate history, they're sticking with what was there. Which means there are none of the things that make most shooters enjoyable like variable scopes, red dot sights, holo sights, reflex sights, lots of automatic weapons.

They can make the trailer look as bombastic as they want, shooting crappy guns via iron sights is no fun for me.

I guess I'm just ready for something different from all those advanced options. If nothing else it would be nice to see what can be done with a setting like WW1 as a FPS game in 2016. We won't lack in other FPS's with a more modern theme. I half expected this game to be more like SteamPunk WW1 but you say no alternate history so I'm curious as to it's direction.
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    Thing is, judging by that trailer, even if they're not going the alt-history route, everything about it has this exaggerated feeling to it, like they took the basics and amped it up to 11. Then again, maybe that's just the trailer, but it's a tone they set. And of course, it doesn't help with the anachronistic music.

Back when I did play online shooters, there was a HL2 mod that I really liked that was set in WW1. It had more of a strategic pace to it. Because unlike modern guns, they took time to load and there was a lot more uncertainty in the air. And then there were the charges (grenades) that were unpredictable. But you know what? It was fun.
  • gellar
    gellar
    GT Member
    Good lord that was an excellent trailer.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    on 1462644606:

Back when I did play online shooters, there was a HL2 mod that I really liked that was set in WW1. It had more of a strategic pace to it. Because unlike modern guns, they took time to load and there was a lot more uncertainty in the air. And then there were the charges (grenades) that were unpredictable. But you know what? It was fun.

If you are looking for a more realistic WW1 shooter you should check out Verdun.

And I'm not saying that a realistic WW1 shooter can't be fun, but what I'm saying is that it isn't exactly what I've come to want out of a Battlefield game. But we'll see, I guess. I just have less and less faith in DICE with every game they released after Bad Company 2.
  • ATB
    ATB
    GT Member
    on 1462651874:

Good lord that was an excellent trailer.

+1
  • Harkonis
    Harkonis
    GT Member
    on 1462578193:

on 1462570496:

the aviation was amazing
  • ATB
    ATB
    GT Member
    Hopefully there will be good mechanics on the ground. Buuut, this comes out 10 days after Gears 4...so probably not getting until 2017.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    on 1462868929:

on 1462578193:

on 1462570496:

the aviation was amazing

This is true. Dogfights galore. But the flying has always been the absolute worst aspect of the Battlefield games in my opinion, so hopefully they rework it entirely.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    So, apparently the open beta is going on now. You can download and play a couple game modes on PC and consoles I think.
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    Curious about it but realize I will still get shot in the face by snipers I can't see, the moment I spawn in this. :retard: So why bother? Haven't bought a BF game since Battlefield 1942.

But I like to read about it. :icon_smile:

This Kotaku video compilation is pretty fun, especially the "Mount and Blade" horseback riding.

Nine Players Who Kicked Ass In Battlefield 1's Beta
    http://kotaku.com/nine-players-who-kicked-ass-in-battlefield-1-1786012865
    *A tiny bit of NSFW language here and there...
  • leo8877
    leo8877
    GT Member
    Played this for a little last night and rather enjoyed it. The battlefield map spawning interface is pretty awesome. Horses were cool, too!
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    on 1472746993:

Played this for a little last night and rather enjoyed it. The battlefield map spawning interface is pretty awesome. Horses were cool, too!
    Can you elucidate about the battlefield map spawning interface?

That's a fancy pants word I learned from an Iron Man comic book featuring Doctor Doom. :icon_smile:
  • leo8877
    leo8877
    GT Member
    on 1472756027:

on 1472746993:

That's a fancy pants word I learned from an Iron Man comic book featuring Doctor Doom. :icon_smile:

I don't recall seeing this implementation before in a battlefield game, but when you are in the spawn screen, you have a birds eye view of the whole battlefield and where your available spawn points are. Maybe shows conflicts too? You can select your spawn area and it zooms in from the aerial view right into your viewpoint. It's a more dynamic implementation of the standard spawn map you see in online shooters. I thought it was cool.
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    That does sound cool, Leo. :icon_cool: Seems like it would help cut down on "spawn camping" and the like.

I should say I did have quite a bit of fun with Star Wars Battlefront, and that's been about the only PvP or team vs. team shooter of this type I've enjoyed.

BF1 is strictly first person though, right? (Battlefront has a 3rd person mode I stick with). While my FPS motion sickness issues are legend -- or infamous, or pathetic :icon_razz: -- I have been able this year to play Killing Floor 2 (hours and hours) and the new Doom without such issues.

Actually I should probably see if I can get in on this BF1 beta action if only to test it from a motion sickness standpoint, right? :icon_smile:
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    on 1472672068:

So, apparently the open beta is going on now. You can download and play a couple game modes on PC and consoles I think.
    You are correct, sir! PC requires using EA Origin, so those who think that's the Anti-Christ Damien are out of luck. :smirk:

This Gamespot item explains it:

Battlefield 1 Open-Beta Available Now, Here's How to Download It
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/battlefield-1-open-beta-available-now-heres-how-to/1100-6443173/
    [size=10pt]PC players need only to start the Origin client and navigate to the Free Games section, where you'll find it in the beta section.[/size]
    The article has links for PS4 and XBox One players. Does note you need XBox Live Gold membership to participate on XBone.

PC download/install seems to be about 8 GB? Once I picked download, I had to go to my "My Games" tab in Origin and then click download there again to get it going.
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    Haven't puked up some screenshots in a while. Riding the horse was SOOOO much fun. :icon_cool: No motion sickness while running around an empty server for a while at least. Really snazzy interface. Default keybindings seemed like a good kb/mouse setup.

I just found an empty server to run around on for a while. In the absence of tutorial or single player in beta, it seemed like the thing to do in terms of just trying the vehicles, and running around for a while.

btw, on kb, you can bounce between the different stations in vehicles via Function keys. So like the British armored car has a driver's spot and then at least three different gunner spots accessible via F1, F2, F3 etc. The biplane I tried had that for the pilot and rear gunner's seat. Recommend you not switch seats when flying solo. :retard:

People should dig having both Matchmaking and good ole' server browser w/ filters options:
    BF1%20matchmaking%20options_zps3qjl5bu3.jpg
    BF1%20beta%20SERVER%20BROWSER_zpsyx8cerrk.jpg

Very cool character models...
    Bf1%20beta%20support%20class_zpsn0rntgzq.jpg

Huge numbers of variations within weapon choices...
    BF1%20beta%20Medic%20variations_zpskfdpaib9.jpg

That deployment screen. With kb, just highlight vehicle type and press spacebar to zip in there...
    BF1%20deployment%20map_zpsgcuawxb5.jpg

Ride like the wind, Bullseye! In case you're wondering, you can shoot a horse, doesn't seem to take damage per se? I tried. :icon_razz:
    BF1%20horse%20ridelike%20the%20wind_zpsgd44tmre.jpg

Makes you think Dice should do a Wild West game at some point. :icon_cool:
    BF1%20beta%20horsie%20side_zpsmqws7l95.jpg
  • Punisher
    Punisher
    GT Member
    on 1472757956:

on 1472756027:

on 1472746993:

I don't recall seeing this implementation before in a battlefield game, but when you are in the spawn screen, you have a birds eye view of the whole battlefield and where your available spawn points are. Maybe shows conflicts too? You can select your spawn area and it zooms in from the aerial view right into your viewpoint. It's a more dynamic implementation of the standard spawn map you see in online shooters. I thought it was cool.

Yes, I do believe that you can see the battles. You can also see the real time status of each capture point and all of your allies, so you can get an idea of whats going on and choose your spawn point better. I originally had no intention of getting this but after playing for a while last night, my interest has grown..
  • leo8877
    leo8877
    GT Member
    on 1472826379:

on 1472757956:

on 1472756027:

on 1472746993:

Yes, I do believe that you can see the battles. You can also see the real time status of each capture point and all of your allies, so you can get an idea of whats going on and choose your spawn point better. I originally had no intention of getting this but after playing for a while last night, my interest has grown..

I am in that same boat. Definitely thinking I will be getting this now.
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    Me 3. :icon_smile: Though I guess with any games of this ilk, it's all about the playerbase and whether it's fun or if you feel like you die-die-die and don't get to contribute. Which perhaps is how I've felt at times in this genre. :icon_smile:

On paper, I think maybe the Medic and Support classes would be my cup of tea. Guess I should wait until I play on a non-empty server this weekend to see how that goes. :icon_smile: