Nioh - Team Ninja action RPG

forgeforsaken
edited April 2016 in Video Games
Debuted at TGS last year, gives off some Dark Souls vibes, and seemingly stars Geralt of Rivia. Alpha demo will be out April 26th with the full game due out later this year. PS4 exclusive for now.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/04/04/nioh-launching-2016-on-ps4-demo-out-this-month/

Comments

• 30 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Gratch
    GT Member
    Hey look...another game I'd buy in a heartbeat if it wasn't so intentionally difficult. Yay!
  • farley2k
    GT Moderator
    I have been watching a lot of Dark Souls 3 on Youtube and the first thing I thought when I watched this was "is there only one sound file for slashing and blood gushing in Japan?" because it is the same sound, and it is a different company so I don't know why they would do that if they had a choice.

• [Deleted User]
    You can sic your ghost Shiba Inu puppy on guys? That's kind of cool.
  • forgeforsaken
    GT Member
    Here's 6 minutes of gameplay footage from TGS

• EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Apparently there is a demo for this up on the PS4 until May 5. Anybody try it out?
  • forgeforsaken
    GT Member
    Seems pretty cool. It's very Souls but also a bit different. Attacks are on square/triangle, and it's hard as fuck. Stamina management is even more important, it's almost like Bushido Blade in that you have multiple stances and you can barely take multiple hits.
  • Dante Rising
    GT Member
    As forgeforsaken stated, it mimics Dark Souls on several levels. Collect souls, retrieve the souls you left behind at death, shrines act as bonfires etc. A few notes:

-It was cool to see that there are several different spirit animals choices as companions, and each has its own stats. They do not fight alongside you.

-You can choose from 3 different blade stances while using a sword. Each was very different.

-Combat is fast. Jimmy Johns fast. It feels like a slightly slower Devil May Cry.

-Enemies work together, and will take shortcuts to block your retreat. I was surprised to see that while I fought one enemy, another nearby enemy ran down the side of a small hill to come up behind me. He didn't simply bunch up with the other spearman.

-Like Dark Souls, taking on multiple enemies is a death sentence at early levels. Each block significantly reduces endurance, and it will leave you no endurance to effectively attack. Even one enemy can kill you in two hits.

-You can fight the ghosts of other players that have died in the battlefield. The unfortunate thing is their profile name is a part of the information. So you are in a Japanese fishing village, and I've come across the names CrazyGuyBob and Meridian_80. It breaks the immersion.

It looks and plays well, I just wish combat was slightly slower. Although it mimics Dark Souls, I'm not certain Dark Soul fans will be enthralled. The level design doesn't have the intricate workmanship from the DK series, and combat isn't as methodical. Also, the movement set seems more akin to a fighting game. R1+circle, then square, for example.
  • forgeforsaken
    GT Member
    Beat the first level and got Mark of the Conqueror. Might toy with the second level a bit but since I got the demo reward and will probably buy the game may just hold off. I like it a fair bit though it obviously needs some polishing but they got plenty of time to sort things out.
  • Dante Rising
    GT Member
    on 1461944983:

Beat the first level and got Mark of the Conqueror. Might toy with the second level a bit but since I got the demo reward and will probably by the game may just hold off. I like it a fair bit though it obviously needs some polishing but they got plenty of time to sort things out.

I played a couple more hours, and the game has grown on me. As you dive deeper the game becomes less and less like Dark Souls. The combat and stamina system is significantly more complex. My one frustration is how quickly armor and weapons decay. After only several battles, I'm constantly forced to switch out my equipment. Trying to grind the first level, I went through over a dozen weapons and armor sets.

The key to the game seems to be to lure out individual enemies with a throwing star, and defeat them one on one. Fighting more than two enemies simultaneously is usually a death sentence. People talk about using a bow, but I've yet to see one.

I haven't faced the first boss yet, and I'm level seven. I've been spending most of my time learning the nuances of low-mid-high stances.
  • forgeforsaken
    GT Member
    on 1462393925:

on 1461944983:

Beat the first level and got Mark of the Conqueror. Might toy with the second level a bit but since I got the demo reward and will probably by the game may just hold off. I like it a fair bit though it obviously needs some polishing but they got plenty of time to sort things out.

I played a couple more hours, and the game has grown on me. As you dive deeper the game becomes less and less like Dark Souls. The combat and stamina system is significantly more complex. My one frustration is how quickly armor and weapons decay. After only several battles, I'm constantly forced to switch out my equipment. Trying to grind the first level, I went through over a dozen weapons and armor sets.

The key to the game seems to be to lure out individual enemies with a throwing star, and defeat them one on one. Fighting more than two enemies simultaneously is usually a death sentence. People talk about using a bow, but I've yet to see one.

I haven't faced the first boss yet, and I'm level seven. I've been spending most of my time learning the nuances of low-mid-high stances.

There's a bow on a body in the wooded area before you get to the burning village, I think. Once I found that one I'd find them as loot as well, but you may need to find the one on the body first? The bow is super lethal, can kill unhelmeted human enemies with one headshot.
  • EngineNo9
    GT Member
    It looks like this is back on the PS Store in beta demo form. Has anybody tried it out this time to see what has changed or been updated?
  • Dante Rising
    GT Member
    on 1472077387:

It looks like this is back on the PS Store in beta demo form. Has anybody tried it out this time to see what has changed or been updated?

I grabbed it and they've made a lot of great updates-

1) the lock on now keeps the camera focused on your target, even as you move away. If you've played Dark Souls, it works in a very similar fashion. This is much improved over the original design.

2) the difficulty has been rebalanced, so the game is more approachable for a normal audience. In the first demo, two opponents at once could be very brutal. Now they are challenging, but not frustrating. Another positive over the hardcore design of the first demo.

3) weapon durability, which was awful in the first demo, seems to have been scrapped. In the original, after about three or four encounters, your favorite weapon was practically useless. This is no longer a concern.

4) the graphics and frame rate are slightly improved

5) The loot drops are more diverse

This game is moving in a great direction, and it is obvious that they are taking community feedback
  • farley2k
    GT Moderator
    The first 20 minutes of Nioh (PS4 gameplay)

Nioh - The Spider's Next Walkthrough With Spider Boss Battle!

• Dante Rising
    GT Member
    Already preordered through Amazon. Looking forward to all of the improvements they made since the last couple demos.
  • farley2k
    GT Moderator
    IGN review

• Gratch
    GT Member
    on 1486489910:

IGN review

While it looks neat, that review did a good job of convincing me this game isn't something I'd enjoy. Too much difficulty, and most "fighting game" combat mechanics just end up frustrating me.
  • shon
    GT Member
    Really enjoying the game so far. I started the game when I got home at 6 and then looked at the clock and it was already 9:30 which hasn't happened to me in awhile

It is similar to Dark Souls, but the combat is a bit quicker and the Ki pulse technique does make the game feel different. There is so much loot that it's overwhelming but you really don't have to focus on it all the time. The game has a lot of systems going on so it will take me awhile to know exactly what I'm doing and the best way to spec my character. The weapons are fun to use and each one has 3 stances with their own moves and skill trees so you can customize some of the moves.

I'm playing on the performance mode so it's 60fps and I haven't noticed any slowdown or any graphics downgrade.
  • Dante Rising
    GT Member
    I'm really enjoying it also. I didn't put tons of hours into the demo like some people on various forums, so I'm still mastering the combat techniques. The game seems noticeably easier than the demo. I was getting owned in several several instances during the demo, and in the actual release version I only died twice in the first level, the London Tower.

Im the next level, (The demo level) I have yet to die even once. There have been some close calls, but by saving up my special charge-up attack for those critical enemies, I've always made it through, as that particular attack makes the player invulnerable for about 10 seconds. A few other notes:

-I am playing on movie mode, which is usually 4K at 30FPS. So far all is well. No slowdown.
    -Loot drops are much more frequent than in the demo, and a good portion of it is uncommon or higher levels of rarity.
    -Weapon degrading has been vastly reduced, or removed. I haven't paid close attention, but I haven't needed to swap out my favorite weapons or armor.
    -the camera has been refined even further from the demo.

Overall, I'm very impressed. And so far it has been much less punishing than the Dark Souls games....but I'm still early in the title.
  • Dante Rising
    GT Member
    on 1486889118:

I'm really enjoying it also. I didn't put tons of hours into the demo like some people on various forums, so I'm still mastering the combat techniques. The game seems noticeably easier than the demo. I was getting owned in several several instances during the demo, and in the actual release version I only died twice in the first level, the London Tower.

Im the next level, (The demo level) I have yet to die even once. There have been some close calls, but by saving up my special charge-up attack for those critical enemies, I've always made it through, as that particular attack makes the player invulnerable for about 10 seconds. A few other notes:

-I am playing on movie mode, which is usually 4K at 30FPS. So far all is well. No slowdown.
    -Loot drops are much more frequent than in the demo, and a good portion of it is uncommon or higher levels of rarity.
    -Weapon degrading has been vastly reduced, or removed. I haven't paid close attention, but I haven't needed to swap out my favorite weapons or armor.
    -the camera has been refined even further from the demo.

Overall, I'm very impressed. And so far it has been much less punishing than the Dark Souls games....but I'm still early in the title.

Okaaaaaay. The difficulty has ramped up quite a bit. I'm getting involved in a lot more 2 on 1 combat situations, and the last boss was a pain. I'm finding the grunts to be easier to dispose of than in games like Bloodborne and Dark Souls (far less 1 or 2 shot deaths for my character), but the bosses are more difficult, and move much more quickly than in either of those games.

Still utterly amazing, however.
  • forgeforsaken
    GT Member
    They removed weapon degradation due to feedback on the alpha.
  • Dante Rising
    GT Member
    on 1486939434:

They removed weapon degradation due to feedback on the alpha.

That was a good decision. The further I get into the game, the more enjoyable it becomes. I'm a Dark Souls fan, but I prefer the weapons and combat in Nioh. I'm especially enjoying the crafting options, and the ability to add various new traits to my favorite weapons. An old level 5 weapon can become just as powerful as weapons found much later in the game via soul matching. The familiars are also an exceptionally good idea. I've located 5 of them now (I've read there are 20) and each has a different impact on gameplay. For example, do you prefer a familiar that offers you high hit points, stronger defense, and health geneneration, or do you prefer one that offers faster replenishment of your stamina bar, quicker attacks, and increased poison resistance?

I think Team Ninja made an excellent decision to release a few different beta demos to PSN, and then listen carefully to user feedback. Nioh is highly polished.

• EngineNo9
    GT Member edited October 2
    Woohoo! It looks like I drug my feet enough waiting on this one and now it's coming out on PC! The Complete Edition with all DLC will be out on November 7th.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/485510/Nioh_Complete_Edition___Complete_Edition/

And buying it on Steam also gets you a silly helmet:

DLIrGNVWAAEwlnM.jpg
  • coopasonic
    GT Member
    So this weekend I finally started playing Nioh on my PS4Pro. Good timing, right? I got it for my birthday... 5 months ago. For reference, I have a platinum trophy in Bloodborne and played around a lot with the Dark Souls 1 and 3, but didn't like them as much as Bloodborne. I finished London, the First mission, the first side mission and half way through the second mission in one sitting... then I pre-ordered the PC version because it is the complete version and with the GMG discount it was pretty cheap.

Once I figured out how to set the resolution on the PC version, everything was pretty familiar. There was a little adjustment period going from the PS4 controller to the 360 controller I use on the PC. The buttons are all in the same place, but the stick and trigger layouts differ. Once I was adjusted I was cruising again... until I hit the first real boss (after the burning village, not that chump on the tower). On the PS4 I beat him on the first try with no real threat to my life. On the PC I also beat him... on my 32nd try. I have no idea what the difference was. I was largely playing the same character with the same weapons, but damn that boy just crushed me over and over again.

Anyway, once I got the resolution issue worked out, the PC version seems to be working just fine for me.
  • Isgrimnur
    GT Member
    I have new car seat covers and a Dremel in my closet. From Christmas.
  • coopasonic
    GT Member
    Nioh came out for PS4 as an exclusive back in February. It just released for PC last week as a complete edition. For those that aren't aware it is a Souls-like with a more japanese/samurai theme. In reality I would say it is a bit more of a Bloodborne-like because it doesn't have shields. The weapons it has are largely asian martial-arts-y and there is a wide variety and a metric ton of loot... way more loot than any Souls game. Way more.

Anyway, I have been playing the game like a fiend since it was released last week (steam shows 33.6 hours played, but that is inflated a bit because I left the game open a couple times through dinner and other chores).

If you like Souls-like games, you definitely should be giving this a try. If you like Souls-like games but find them too hard, I would also consider giving this a try. I am not sure how far I am into the game, but I feel like it is a little bit easier than Bloodborne or the Souls games. The common guys are definitely easier, the big guys are a little bit easier and the bosses are probably in the same neighborhood, with a good variety of boss moves. The big difference though, is in the navigation. Nioh is broken up into individual missions, so you won't spend hours just figuring out where you are supposed to go. There are still shortcuts to unlock in a mission area and some of them are confusing, but the path forward is never as hard to find as it is in a Souls game. If that has frustrated you, give Nioh a try!

There are a bunch of different systems and lots of look, so it is not at all simple, but I think most of it is explained much more clearly than I expected. The story on the other hand is totally JRPG WTF nonsense, though again, it's more clear than in a Souls game.
    EngineNo9 wrote: »
    Well, I have to take care of my nephew tonight and have a meetup tomorrow, but if I get time I'd love to dig into Nioh on PC since I gave in to the GMG sale.

I did try out Nioh a little bit, right up until I hit some armored knights that could kill me in one hit. Losing progress a couple times made me quit since I was short on patience.

There isn't really any value in taking on those knights except as a personal challenge. They are much harder than anything you will see in the early hours of the game. They are certainly killable, but not worth the effort. Also you didn't really lose anything dying to them Amrita (xp) -wise as the Tower is before you start earning xp, or at least before it shows up on the HUD.

For the most part the strategy for the entire game is bait, dodge, attack. The tactics come in how you perform these pieces.
  • farley2k
    GT Moderator
    I have it on my Steam wishlist. I am sure I will suck but I love Dark Souls 3 (even though I suck) and I like the setting of Nioh.
  • EngineNo9
    GT Member
    coopasonic wrote: »
    Well, I have to take care of my nephew tonight and have a meetup tomorrow, but if I get time I'd love to dig into Nioh on PC since I gave in to the GMG sale.

I did try out Nioh a little bit, right up until I hit some armored knights that could kill me in one hit. Losing progress a couple times made me quit since I was short on patience.

There isn't really any value in taking on those knights except as a personal challenge. They are much harder than anything you will see in the early hours of the game. They are certainly killable, but not worth the effort. Also you didn't really lose anything dying to them Amrita (xp) -wise as the Tower is before you start earning xp, or at least before it shows up on the HUD.

For the most part the strategy for the entire game is bait, dodge, attack. The tactics come in how you perform these pieces.

I guess I saw knights in two different directions, that I thought were the only ways to go forward and that's when I gave up. One side had two knights guarding a big door (and they killed me in one swipe), the other had one of the lesser guys with at least one knight as well.

And I lost progress, weapons I had found, areas I had cleared out, etc when I died. Just getting put back to a save point felt bad enough, whether it showed me my XP meter or not.
  • coopasonic
    GT Member
    Bad guys respawn on death (except for certain kill once enemies a little later in the game), but weapons should not disappear ever once you've picked them up.

You do have to move through one room with a Knight patrolling, but there's no need to fight him. He roams the far side of the room and you want to go through the doorway on the near side. Of course ther isn't really any way for you to know that. There are three shrines in that first level, once you reach one and pray at it, it becomes your new respawn point and that should minimize plowing through the same guys over and over. Also there is at least one shortcut you can open and they stay open on death as well.

Dying over and over again is part of the experience and you have to accept that or you are going to get really frustrated in this game. I have over 200 deaths, including 30+ to a single boss. What you want to avoid is dying twice to the same enemy, particularly before you recover your Amrita/Spirit/Corpse.
  • EngineNo9
    GT Member
    I've played Bloodborne and the Souls games, but the difference there is that their traditional early enemy that crushes you is on an alternate path. If you just explore the other direction then you avoid the troll or whatever.

Seeing the same one-hit-kill enemy in both directions made me give up. As I said, I was not in a very patient mindset at the time and found that repeated early setback very annoying.