Buliding a PC

Knightshade_Dragon
Knightshade_Dragon
edited March 2016 in Hardware / Software Hell
I recently rebuilt my PC and decided (for some stupid reason) to review nearly every component as I did it. :saywhat:

http://www.gamingtrend.com/2016/03/14/building-a-pc-an-inception-level-adventure-in-awesome/

Those of you who build your own rigs -- I'd love your feedback. More detail? Less detail? Something I missed that I should cover?

Ron Burke
Editor in Chief
GAMING TREND

Xbox Gamertag: Gaming Trend
PS4 Tag: GamingTrend

Comments

• USMC Kato
    USMC Kato
    GT Member
    This is great and a good read. I'm going to be getting a new desktop soon so this helps me a bit in what kind of components I want.
  • Zinfan
    Zinfan
    GT Member
    I cut and pasted what I commented on below your nice article as my comment doesn't seem to want to post up.

Johnnyguru is your source for over the top power supply reviews. One thing I almost made a mistake on when building my recent PC was that there are drives that fit the M.2 format but are not actually M.2 drives. Samsung Evo850 was the drive I was looking at and was about to put into the cart when I noticed the 6Gbps spec vice the 32Gpbs I expected to see, it actually is a SATAIII drive in the M.2 form factor. Thankfully I did notice it before buying and ended up with the predictably more expensive Samsung950 drive a true M.2 drive.

As you said on you review of your M.2 drive, the screw to mount it to the motherboard is the smallest screw ever. It is a M2 sized screw and when I couldn't find mine at first (it doesn't come with the drive) I went to the hardware store but they only have M3 screws as the smallest around. I was looking in the wrong place for mine, I got fixated on the screws that came with my case and it wasn't until I hit my head with my hand and said "look in the motherboard box idiot!" that I finally found the tiny screw. Longest part of the build was dealing with that screw and only due to me overlooking the inclusion of the screw in the MB box.

I think one great resource for building a PC is pcpartpicker.com and maybe worth a mention in the article as it can flag items that won't work together. Here is a link to my build list https://pcpartpicker.com/user/OtterChaos/saved/#view=Pffqqs hope it works.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Great read!

I wasn't 100% sure though at the end, did you stay with the GTX 980 and are you satisfied with it?
  • hitbyambulance
    hitbyambulance
    GT Member
    on 1457999137:

I recently rebuilt my PC and decided (for some stupid reason) to review nearly every component as I did it. :saywhat:

http://www.gamingtrend.com/2016/03/14/building-a-pc-an-inception-level-adventure-in-awesome/

Those of you who build your own rigs -- I'd love your feedback. More detail? Less detail? Something I missed that I should cover?

are you looking to sell your old parts, by any chance?
  • TheAtomicKid
    TheAtomicKid
    GT Member
    Read this a couple times now.... not going to critique your parts selection, most everything there is workable, but....

Title of article is 'building a pc'...

Yet you do not describe the process very much at all. Just your parts selection and why you chose them. Tis a little late now, although I suppose you could update the article... but a small walkthrough of the process might go a long ways.

Atomic