weird artifact

Greg Wak
Greg Wak
edited March 2016 in Hardware / Software Hell
Had my new upgrade since November. Acer 4K G-sync monitor and a MSI GTX 980 to power it. Has worked like a charm till last night. Was playing Sunless sea and suddenly got 3 vertical stripes the full height of the screen. The center one moved with the center of the screen. So I quit, restarted the game, still there. Still there on the desktop as well. Fired up 3 other games, still there. Checked the temp and it was 30C. CPU was also 30C, so it wasn't that. Checked the fans and had a moment of panic when I saw the GPU fans weren't spinning. But I quickly discovered it was because the GPU was at 30C-duh. When I switched to manual I could spin the fans right up. I have not overclocked the card. I even installed new nvidia drivers. Rebooted the computer-still there. Shut down the computer and unplugged it. Brought it back up and it was still there. It was late at night so I just turned it all off and planned on testing different monitors and card today, but when I fired it back up this AM it was all gone. Any thoughts as to why it was going on? Sorry if I was to wordy.

Comments

• MonkeyFinger
    MonkeyFinger
    GT Member
    Out of curiosity, what Nvidia driver do you have? I'm not having any issues but I've read that "the latest" drivers are "completely borked". Does sound like heat or a failing card, however, in spite of the temp being fine. Good luck. I hate tracking down shit like that. :disgust:
  • Zinfan
    Zinfan
    GT Member
    No idea what the issue could be but did you try switching the monitor to the motherboard video output instead of the 980? Might help determine if it is the card or monitor. Of course you would need a different video cable as I don't think most motherboards have a built in DisplayPort connection.
  • Greg Wak
    Greg Wak
    GT Member
    I was on the driver from October when it started. I downloaded the latest one and the issue persisted. I've used it for 2 days now with no issues. It still unnerves me though.
  • heloder
    heloder
    GT Member
    Don't discount the possibility of a wonky cable, either. I'd probably try that before swapping the monitor and GPU.
  • Punisher
    Punisher
    GT Member
    If you remember the time it started, check event viewer to see if it tagged anything.
  • Greg Wak
    Greg Wak
    GT Member
    Don't remember the exact hr but it was near 10pm on Thursday. Only thing close to that time is a "cap12" error. Looking that up it seems unrelated. So far it still has not returned. Fingers crossed.
  • TheAtomicKid
    TheAtomicKid
    GT Member
    What you describe makes me think it was a memory error on the gpu... remember, it uses the memory on the card to build the screen that gets output to your monitor, and that memory is laid out pretty much in a grid pattern. So if you have a row(s) or column(s) that have some sort of malfunction, say, won't write the bits that control the red/blue colors in the cells... then you'd get a stripe of them... (and indeed I've seen something resembling what you describe on one of my own failed cards)

If it's not continuing to generate the error, great. If it shows up again, or if you want to push your luck and actually provoke the dragon ... a gpu memory testing program might be in your future

(or you could go with any of the gpu benchmarking/testing programs like say, furmark... but that would be really pushing it if the card is already borderline) (maybe not? they dont stress gpu memory that much, iirc)

that said... it went away. it might have been a bug.... when my card went south, it went south and stayed south... in fact it continued to get worse over time until I retired it.

Here's a quick link to some resources... https://www.raymond.cc/blog/having-problems-with-video-card-stress-test-its-memory/

Atomic

ps: also remember... just because a card fails furmark or somesuch, doesnt mean the card is 'bad'... those programs are MUCH harder on a gpu than your typical game scenario.

• Greg Wak
    Greg Wak
    GT Member
    Thank you so much! I will look into that. It had not come back until last night. In spades. More artifacts and the text was blurry. I had 20 min before I had to leave. I whipped out my old monitor and hooked it up. It came on and was perfect. I thought I had the culprit. However when I hooked up my new monitor again it came on perfect and is still fine as I type this. So I still don't know what's going on.
  • Greg Wak
    Greg Wak
    GT Member
    Well, according to two stress/test programs I ran the vram is fine. I wounder if the DP cable gets a bit loose? Hasn't come back since the last episode.
  • TheAtomicKid
    TheAtomicKid
    GT Member
    See if it shows up in a screencapture.

Atomic

(if it doesnt, it's downstream of the gpu) (not 100%)

(make a desktop shortcut to the snipping tool, rather than trying to navigate the menu with the screen borked)
  • Greg Wak
    Greg Wak
    GT Member
    hopefully it will never come back, but of course it probably will. I will see if I can do that if/when it does.