Supreme Court Judge Antonin Scalia died today

Andrew Wonser
Andrew Wonser
Huge, huge news. Most Presidents go through their entire term without getting to appoint a Supreme Court Justice, let alone two.
Course I also see the Republican led Congress throwing endless tantrums and refusing to confirm anyone until the next President. Much like the Republicans are refusing (Putting on hold and then not bringing up again) so many appointments, even though they should only be objecting if there is reasonable cause to, not because their side isn't at the head of the nation. This stupidity is why the approval rating is around 11% for all of Congress.

Comments

• Ironrod
    Ironrod
    GT Member
    There's no way a Republican Senate is going to confirm any Obama nominee. Their base would kill them. Instead, they will run out the clock, and President Clinton can then nominate...(drum roll)...Obama! :icon_twisted:
  • Canuck
    Canuck
    GT Member
    I would love to see it. The Republicans seem like they're between a rock and a hard place here. They can basically hope (unrealistically) that they'll take over the Presidency. Every other option is lose for them. If they try to run out the clock, I wonder if undecideds/independents would make them pay for it in the Senate race. That could mean that not only would a Democratic President get to choose but they also wouldn't be able to filibuster and would have no means to negotiate for a more middle of the road justice.
  • Ironrod
    Ironrod
    GT Member
    Obama is on the record that he doesn't want the job. He might change his tune when an opening still exists while the moving van is pulling up to the White House. (Not that I think Obama is the best qualified jurist one could find, but the Republican conniptions would be a sight to behold.)

Still a lot of water to flow over the dam between now and November though. This presidential race has defied all expectations so far and the open SCOTUS seat just adds one more wild card.
  • ATB
    ATB
    GT Member
    1. Obstructionist Repubs should be hanged for treason
    2. Hang them again. The constitution is written the way it is for a reason.
    3. Hang them a third time. If repubs obstruct until the next pres in hopes that repubs win the election. Wonder who Trump would nominate <shivers>
    4. If clinton wins and she puts Obama up, he will NEVER get approved. Ever. EVER.
    5. America is hosed.
  • Isgrimnur
    Isgrimnur
    GT Member
    In a democracy, people get the leaders they deserve. One of many reasons that I loathe most people.
  • Scraper
    Scraper
    GT Member
    on 1455558305:

3. Hang them a third time. If repubs obstruct until the next pres in hopes that repubs win the election. Wonder who Trump would nominate <shivers>
    4. If clinton wins and she puts Obama up, he will NEVER get approved. Ever. EVER.
    5. America is hosed.

As a Libertarian leaning person I would actually be more likely to vote Republican in the next election if they do get a new Judge confirmed this year. The reasoning is simple. It would tip the court to a 5-4 liberal balance (something we haven't had in a VERY long time). The next president will then more than likely get to pick 1 or 2 more new judges. If we get a Dem president the Supreme Court could very likely go 6-3 liberal by 2020. This is something I do not want. On the other hand if they confirm somebody and then a republican wins the election then the court is more likely to stay relatively balanced 5-4 one way or the other. Balance is better, especially when there are truly middle of the road judges who can put the law above politics (Think the opposite of Thomas).

As it stands though if the Republicans block just for the sake of blocking then I will most definitely not be voting republican in the presidential election.
  • Canuck
    Canuck
    GT Member
    on 1455724583:

on 1455558305:

5. America is hosed.

As a Libertarian leaning person I would actually be more likely to vote Republican in the next election if they do get a new Judge confirmed this year. The reasoning is simple. It would tip the court to a 5-4 liberal balance (something we haven't had in a VERY long time). The next president will then more than likely get to pick 1 or 2 more new judges. If we get a Dem president the Supreme Court could very likely go 6-3 liberal by 2020. This is something I do not want. On the other hand if they confirm somebody and then a republican wins the election then the court is more likely to stay relatively balanced 5-4 one way or the other. Balance is better, especially when there are truly middle of the road judges who can put the law above politics (Think the opposite of Thomas).

As it stands though if the Republicans block just for the sake of blocking then I will most definitely not be voting republican in the presidential election.

ActuallyI think the older Supreme Court justices are mainly on the Liberal side so even if a Democratic president were elected the balance would probably not shift much (unless Obummer keeps assassinating judges).
  • Scraper
    Scraper
    GT Member
    on 1455867472:

on 1455724583:

on 1455558305:

5. America is hosed.

ActuallyI think the older Supreme Court justices are mainly on the Liberal side so even if a Democratic president were elected the balance would probably not shift much (unless Obummer keeps assassinating judges).

:flameon: The cooks on Infowars.com are pushing the assassination angle hard. The entertainment value one can get from that website is awesome.