Can kids decide?

farley2k
farley2k
Heaven over hospital: Dying girl, age 5, makes a choice

(CNN)Michelle: Julianna, if you get sick again, do you want to go to the hospital again or stay home?

Julianna: Not the hospital.

Michelle: Even if that means that you will go to heaven if you stay home?

Julianna: Yes.

Michelle: And you know that mommy and daddy won't come with you right away? You'll go by yourself first.

Julianna: Don't worry. God will take care of me.

Michelle: And if you go to the hospital, it may help you get better and let you come home again and spend more time with us. I need to make sure that you understand that. Hospital may let you have more time with mommy and daddy.

Julianna: I understand.

Michelle: (crying) - I'm sorry, Julianna. I know you don't like it when I cry. It's just that I will miss you so much.

Julianna: That's OK. God will take care of me. He's in my heart.

Comments

• TiLT
    TiLT
    GT Member
    I merely read the first section of the article, but my opinion is very clear: Children should never be able to make this kind of decision on their own. They do not have the mental capacity and experience to understand the decision they're making. In questions of life and death, understanding is key. There's no going back.
  • ATB
    ATB
    GT Member
    How do you feel about kids who are 3, 4 and 5 and feel they are not the sex they actually are? There's a wave of parents in this country embracing that as a reason to start treating them as the sex 'they feel they are'.
  • TiLT
    TiLT
    GT Member
    on 1445969747:

How do you feel about kids who are 3, 4 and 5 and feel they are not the sex they actually are? There's a wave of parents in this country embracing that as a reason to start treating them as the sex 'they feel they are'.

I see no problem with treating a boy like a girl if he wants that, or vice versa. Though I prefer we ditch the classical notions of what constitutes treating someone like a boy or a girl in the first place. Actually physically changing their gender though, that'll have to wait until they're legally capable of making such decisions. The limits for that I believe vary with country.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Well if you want to go really R&P, her parents shouldn't be allowed to make her believe a magic sky man is going to take care of her after she dies. She might make a different decision.
  • Ironrod
    Ironrod
    GT Member
    on 1445983229:

Well if you want to go really R&P, her parents shouldn't be allowed to make her believe a magic sky man is going to take care of her after she dies. She might make a different decision.

That was my take. I mean, her parents can teach her whatever they want, but the kid can't make a decision without knowing about opposing viewpoints.
  • Isgrimnur
    Isgrimnur
    GT Member
    Tell that to the American voters.
  • hepcat
    hepcat
    GT Member
    on 1445969747:

I wasn't aware that choosing to do so was the same as a life or death choice. To many of us, that's more akin to asking a child if they'd like to wear a red shirt or a blue shirt for the day.
  • Punisher
    Punisher
    GT Member
    on 1446056461:

on 1445969747:

I wasn't aware that choosing to do so was the same as a life or death choice. To many of us, that's more akin to asking a child if they'd like to wear a red shirt or a blue shirt for the day.

You should never let a child wear a Red Shirt, especially on away missions.
  • hepcat
    hepcat
    GT Member
    Good point. I wasn't thinking.

PX2Lx6q.jpg
  • Punisher
    Punisher
    GT Member
    on 1446215968:

Good point. I wasn't thinking.

PX2Lx6q.jpg

LOL. Never saw that before, but oh so true..
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    on 1445969747:

A child identifying themselves as another gender isn't just a funny way to get into the opposites' changeroom - there is a fundemental shift in thinking in their life.

What the OP covers shows the damaging effect of the indoctrination of children. They don't reason in their conscious mind (instead relying on the gullible sub-conscious). Puberty changes that up - which is why we can convince them that a fat man with herd of flying deer is gonna bring them a new bike through the chimney that we don't necessarily have.

IMO kids should be introduced to God as reasonable humans, not impressionable children.

That whole "don't worry, God's got this" thing? How do you feel about being in a car with me and I let "Jesus take the wheel" ?
  • hepcat
    hepcat
    GT Member
    While I worry about the child actually understanding what they're committing to, I also view this not only as a religious matter, but also one concerning quality of life. If the child is really saying, "No, I'd rather not continue living in pain for the remainder of my rather short time on this Earth, but would prefer to pass gently while surrounded by my loved ones.", then I sympathize with their parents as they try to approach that subject in a way that brings some measure of comfort to their child rather than fear.

All I know for sure is that I can't bring myself to judge them as I can't even begin to imagine how painful this is for all concerned.
  • Knightshade_Dragon
    Knightshade_Dragon
    GT Manager
    I think we live in a day and age where kids grow up too fast in some cases, and don't grow up nearly fast enough in others. In this case, I think it's hard to say that a kid could make this sort of adult decision without fully understanding the repercussions. It just makes me sad that many parents, to make a political or religious statement of their own, might use said kid to do so. :(

Ron Burke
    Editor in Chief
    GAMING TREND

Xbox Gamertag: Gaming Trend
    PS4 Tag: GamingTrend