[TV] The Walking Dead Season 8 (Careful there will be Spoilers!)

Comments

• Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    on 1447706944:

I think the show's timelines are so screwed up now, that I need a flow chart diagram to understand the context of each episode. I just feel like I have no idea what timeline one episode is taking place in, in regard to the one before it or the one after it.

Norman Reedus denies that...
    the voice on the walkie-talkie is Glenn, he says the voice is someone else.

Walking Dead poll results favored it being Glenn but it really doesn't remind me of him at all.

The shout at the gate at the end of the Morgan episode was Rick, but I couldn't make that out for sure. The Closed Captioning revealed it to be him, too.

To me, the voice on the walkie was unquestionably the survivor in question, though. It sounded like no one else. I was surprised that it was even up for debate.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    on 1447706944:

I think the show's timelines are so screwed up now, that I need a flow chart diagram to understand the context of each episode. I just feel like I have no idea what timeline one episode is taking place in, in regard to the one before it or the one after it.

Seems to me everything is happening within the same few days of the premiere, flashbacks and backstories aside. It's kind of like Season 2 of Lost, the same few days from different people/group's perspectives - which I know pissed a lot of people off but I personally enjoyed.

In the premiere, they show things leading up to the "plan" and then how/why they have to execute it early. It all goes well up to the point where Alexandria gets attacked and the horn sounds and screws everything up (that's Ep 2 which occurs in "real time" 45 minutes of attack as shown by the oven timer). From there you have the clean up and aftermath from the townspeople point of view, which I thought was only a night or two. In the mean time, you have last night's episode, which essentially covers those same nights.

So basically this entire season's forward plotline has really only gone maybe 2-3 days in my guess-timation.
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    So, there you go.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    on 1447722499:

In the premiere, they show things leading up to the "plan" and then how/why they have to execute it early. It all goes well up to the point where Alexandria gets attacked and the horn sounds and screws everything up (that's Ep 2 which occurs in "real time" 45 minutes of attack as shown by the oven timer). From there you have the clean up and aftermath from the townspeople point of view, which I thought was only a night or two. In the mean time, you have last night's episode, which essentially covers those same nights.

So basically this entire season's forward plotline has really only gone maybe 2-3 days in my guess-timation.

On Talking Dead they actually say the entire season thus far has been over the course of one day since the events of the premiere, which is pretty much what I surmised above. I thought it might be a little longer but I suspect if you watch each ep closely you'll realize only one nights passes in each location. The Alexandria based ep seemed to have more time passage but I'd have to pay closer attention. Especially the way Maggie was acting, it seemed like more time had passed.

I love the way they altered the angle on the first scene. Not too cheeseball, as mentioned you see what you want to see. Ultimately I think the Enid chick gave it away on TD, she says something like if we see her character again, we will be pleasantly surprised. Which I immediately took to mean she would be returning for sure and somehow involved with Glenn. The funny thing was I still kept expecting him to die anyway before the end of the episode, but I guess that would have been too cruel.
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    on 1448326397:

on 1447722499:

On Talking Dead they actually say the entire season thus far has been over the course of one day since the events of the premiere, which is pretty much what I surmised above. I thought it might be a little longer but I suspect if you watch each ep closely you'll realize only one nights passes in each location. The Alexandria based ep seemed to have more time passage but I'd have to pay closer attention. Especially the way Maggie was acting, it seemed like more time had passed.

I love the way they altered the angle on the first scene. Not too cheeseball, as mentioned you see what you want to see. Ultimately I think the Enid chick gave it away on TD, she says something like if we see her character again, we will be pleasantly surprised. Which I immediately took to mean she would be returning for sure and somehow involved with Glenn. The funny thing was I still kept expecting him to die anyway before the end of the episode, but I guess that would have been too cruel.

I still think we will lose someone big either next episode or the very beginning of the next block (mid-season or whatever). There's a payment due, basically, with Glenn ducking the reaper.

They may get away with Morgan because he has technically been around since the beginning.

I was thinking Carl, but that setup with the other dopey kid over the dopey girl just seemed too obvious. I imagine that kid is going to force Carl to deal with some zombies (because he thinks he's all that in the apocalypse, yo), and then Carl will handle it just fine (well, it'll be close).

I'm leaning toward Sasha.

It could be Hot Lips Wassername (had to look it up...Rosita), because she was getting kinda know-it-all in the training sequence, but I think that's more because they don't know what to do with her (which is also why we're getting this weird love-triangle thing with Abe and Sasha, not to mention that sorta proposal set up that went nowhere). I don't think Hot Lips is big enough to care about though. If she's not wearing her hat, it usually takes me half a scene to remember who she is.

All said, though, it could be someone even bigger, including Glenn* We need a status quo rocking.

[size=8pt]*and if it's that stupid Enid's fault, she'll be the most hated character in Walking Dead history. And this is a show that had Andrea and Lori.[/size]
  • Scraper
    GT Member
    They need to kill off at least 3 of the characters that came with them to Alexandria because they are mostly just dead weight. Rosita, the lesbian chick whose name I can never remember who serves no purpose on the show other than to be there and also the fake scientist dude with the Mullet, he has been asking for it for a long time now.
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    on 1448380385:

They need to kill off at least 3 of the characters that came with them to Alexandria because they are mostly just dead weight. Rosita, the lesbian chick whose name I can never remember who serves no purpose on the show other than to be there and also the fake scientist dude with the Mullet, he has been asking for it for a long time now.

You're not wrong.

I mentioned that Rosita seems to be a problem for the writers (and I just don't find her compelling other than that her completely-inappropriate-for-the-apocalypse wardrobe makes her nice to observe).

The fake scientist was a great new addition for a while, but they need to find something interesting to do with him now that he's been outed. I still like his off-kilter character, though, so I hope they find that something stat.

Fistbump Notcop was my least favorite new character from the tail end of the prison. She has grown on me recently. In part because she is good support/love interest for the least trained doctor in the world (someone described her medical training as knowing there's a show called ER, but she's never seen an episode). Mostly, though, it was giving Rick the finger last week.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    I agree - definitely think someone of significance will either go (or something bad) next week for the mid-season finale. Rosita, Sasha, Notcop I'd say are all up for grabs. Notcop may have bought herself some time since they do seem to need at least one doctor-ish character to fix people up and they just introduced the lesbian plotline. I like the idea of a Sasha/Rosita/Sarge lovew triangle so it would suck to lose any of them. Gabriel really needs to go, his story has run its course and I don't think anyone finds it that engaging to begin with. Kind of the same with Eugene, though I think he lasts a really long time in the comics, I'm pretty sure he's still in it now.

A friend and I did have a theory that since Negan is coming, instead of having the same death play out as in the comics, it could be someone that would have an even bigger impact on the tv show - Daryl. He's so popular he seems untouchable, but that's what Glenn seemed like in the comic.

As for Carl...

There was supposition that he might get his eye blown out like he did in the comic. Maybe that will take the place of actually killing someone off.
  • Ironrod
    GT Member
    IMO Maggie's card came to the top of the deck when Glenn made his saving throw.
  • disarm
    GT Member
    I agree Maggie is at pretty high risk now. Would they really have another pregnancy on the show and introduce another baby? They've been down that road already.
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    on 1448427607:

I agree Maggie is at pretty high risk now. Would they really have another pregnancy on the show and introduce another baby? They've been down that road already.

Maybe, but I don't think they'd introduce a pregnancy just to kill the character a couple of episodes later. That seems cheap. We haven't had time for the pregnancy to sink in, so it's just an idle fact.
  • Ironrod
    GT Member
    on 1448433205:

on 1448427607:

Maybe, but I don't think they'd introduce a pregnancy just to kill the character a couple of episodes later. That seems cheap. We haven't had time for the pregnancy to sink in, so it's just an idle fact.

More to the point, this world doesn't tolerate happy families.
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    on 1448479395:

on 1448433205:

on 1448427607:

More to the point, this world doesn't tolerate happy families.

True, but they're not happy yet. Or a family.
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Well, that was underwhelming.

Not bad, per se, but it was really just a set up episode. Nothing really happened, apart from a couple of fights that caused bigger problems that haven't been resolved (although Carl did have the best line of the episode, for once).

Last week should have been the finale and this should have been part one of a two hour mid-season opener.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    It was a terrible episode. In fact, the last several episodes have been nearly unwatchable. Rick and company really should have left Alexandria long ago because staying there has made them all stupid. The whole Carol-Morgan-evil Dave Grohl sub plot was painful to watch. The blonde's wimpy son Sam, please let him die.

The only good thing is that we're all on a trajectory to bring Negan into the story, which will really stir things up, assuming the writers don't screw that up.
  • Ironrod
    GT Member
    I was braced for a major character death. Instead I got Deanna. Well, that's at least some progress, I guess.
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    on 1448942515:

I was braced for a major character death. Instead I got Deanna. Well, that's at least some progress, I guess.

I did not enjoy the performance of that actress throughout the run of this*, but I thought her scream was pretty kick ass.

on 1448911325:

It was a terrible episode. In fact, the last several episodes have been nearly unwatchable. Rick and company really should have left Alexandria long ago because staying there has made them all stupid. The whole Carol-Morgan-evil Dave Grohl sub plot was painful to watch. The blonde's wimpy son Sam, please let him die.

The only good thing is that we're all on a trajectory to bring Negan into the story, which will really stir things up, assuming the writers don't screw that up.

Well, no. I don't know what you've been watching, but these have been some good, tight episodes. Even this last one, which was no way to end at mid-season, was well-done. It certainly wasn't terrible. And nothing this season has been unwatchable. That includes The Karate Morgan spin off ep.

Part of the problem (apart from her performance being overwrought and telegraphy, giving every line importance) is that whenever I see her on screen, this ego-maniacal quote pops into my head: ""People think of me as the Jewish Meryl Streep." This is something she has actually said about herself. You can see it under "Personal Quote" on her IMDB page. What level of self-absorption do you have to have to think people think of you as one of the most acclaimed actresses of all time? If she'd said, "People have said I'm the Jewish Meryl Streep," that would be a little better, but not a lot.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    Well yes. I've been watching the show from the very beginning and this season started out very strong up until the episode where Glenn's predicament sent everyone into a frenzy, which to me felt like such a cheap gimmick which the show has never had to resort to. After that, it lost all its momentum and got stuck in a lot of overwrought moralizing, questionable decisions and really bad dialog. Part of the problem was that the jumping around in time sequence really messed with the pacing. I get the whole artistic intent of all that, but imo it screwed up the intense pacing they had spent the first half of the season creating. To give an example, the Daryl episode when he ran into the trio of people in the woods. Daryl's been built up to be the show's badass loner and expert tracker and hasn't done anything questionably stupid that I can recall, yet the way he ended up losing some key items (without spoiling details) was unbelievable.

Glad you're enjoying the season thus far though. It's been too much of an up and down frustrating rollercoaster for me, but I'll still keep watching. The key character they are bringing in during the second half of the season will certainly make it entertaining.
  • Ironrod
    GT Member
    One hopes that they will lose many of the extraneous characters. The show doesn't work so well with a huge ensemble cast. Unless the intent is to build up a Rick Nation (Deanna did tell him "they're all your people now"), there are too many people tagging along because they had a story arc a season or two ago.
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    I just found out that Fistbump Notcop is the sister to both Francis, the older brother on Malcom in the Middle and Hyde from That 70s Show.
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Ho. Lee. Shit.

I'm pretty sure that's the single best episode of the Walking Dead to date.

They had an off the charts amazing opening, amazing things go to hell fast moment, amazing crazy that turned into something not at all crazy, amazing ending and, I think most importantly, amazing new sense of direction.

I was a little irritated that the big, episode ending moment of that kid saying "Mom" in a crowd of zombies turned out to be nothing (they even completely skipped over it), but then shit started going down, and I didn't care at all any more.

I know Carl has an eyepatch at some point in the comics, but I really thought he was dead. When that gun went off to the side, and I noticed Carl was carefully out of frame...and then who the hell survives a bullet to the eye?! But to bring Rick back around, straight through crazy, to being a leader with hope again makes it okay in my book.

Rick was definitely just going apeshit crazy when he went out that door. He wasn't trying to inspire. I don't even think he was planning to take down the entire horde himself. He just snapped and went to do something.

I thought either Maggie or Glenn (or that annoying girl) were gonners for sure, too, but man what a rescue. Just fantastic.

And what an opening! My only regret is that I was enjoying that actor who was leading up the motorcycle group. I was looking forward to more of him, but if they all have to go by way of that rocket launcher I'd conveniently forgotten after Daryl dispatched a dude off screen (because of course he would), so be it.

For all the awesome in this episode, though, my favorite thing is that humanity is back on track, essentially. Maybe not as stupidly as Morgan (his heart's in the right place, but get in the game, man), but we saw hope in all the right places. Gabriel got faith again. Fistbump Notcop found out her Doctor Love is still in the house. That Wolf guy actually did do something good at the end (and Carol saw it). But most importantly Rick turned a corner. Finally.

I know this shit is going to get tested hard with Negan. I haven't read most of the comics, but I hear he's bad news. But I think the spark will stay. This isn't a world where it's easy to keep a spark of hope alive. The harder test is going to be when shit with Carol comes to a head (and maybe Sasha). It'll be an uphill battle, btu the first step is the hardest.

Yee hah.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    Yeah I wouldn't even know where to begin, that was an incredibly awesome piece of television from beginning to end. I felt emotionally overwhelmed by the end of it, it's hard to explain. Thank goodness for Talking Dead to bring you down from the high. I needed a couple hours of boring NBA All-Star Game and Downton Abbey to finally calm down enough to go to sleep lol.

My only complaint/regret was losing Jessie and family so abruptly. I thought she was a great add to the show, particularly since they chose to kill off the other blond chick early. (Although I have to say her beautiful blond hair looked a little too good while sporting zombie flesh lol). I actually liked (and by liked I mean hated) the two sons as well, I thought they each added something different. They each in their own way were just a psychotic breakdown waiting to happen. I loved the moment where Carl reaches out to hold the older brother's hand, and he's just so conflicted, the look on his face is priceless. And I love the irony of him being the one who actually shoots Carl's eye out, echoing the themes of sometimes the people you help are just not deserving. I also didn't think I was going to enjoy the Wolf guy story, but I loved the way it played out in some ways contrasting to the Carl storyline.

I had forgotten that the eye came out before Negan in the comic, so I was guessing it was going to be Negan who did it. But this follows the comic better, as I seem to remember him making some comments about how badass Carl was with his one eye. I do feel bad for the actor though as he's going to be stuck with a bandage for a long time, and then after that presumably he's going to have to wear a prosthetic thingy all the time, yikes.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    One of the best things I learned is that Carrie Underwood and her mom are Walking Dead superfans. :icon_cool:

Great episode. The body count was unbelievable. I believe this was the first time ever in the series run that:

They showed a kid getting eaten. That was awesome. I guess the death of Jessie was the one moment some people were referring to as a completely unnecessary, gratuitous character death that served no purpose. Whatever. It's the zombie apocalypse. People die. Get over it.
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    on 1455566031:

One of the best things I learned is that Carrie Underwood and her mom are Walking Dead superfans. :icon_cool:

Great episode. The body count was unbelievable. I believe this was the first time ever in the series run that:

They showed a kid getting eaten. That was awesome. I guess the death of Jessie was the one moment some people were referring to as a completely unnecessary, gratuitous character death that served no purpose. Whatever. It's the zombie apocalypse. People die. Get over it.

Well, not only that, but it served a massive purpose.

That was the moment that pushed Rick to the edge. As soon as that happened, I was certain Rick was going to be getting ghost calls again in the next episode. He was already on the way to the brink and Jessie's death took him right to it.

But then Carl got shot in the eye, and his parental instinct took over. He had a purpose again, and it propelled him to take his son to the doctor. Once there, he was helpless. As I see it, there were two sides tearing at his brain. One was the madness and hopelessness that seeing Jessie die pushed him further toward. The other was the fatherly love and hope that his son might survive.

When he went outside, I was certain he was letting the rage take over. But then Alexandria rallied, and it changed everything.

He never said the word "hope" and maybe it wasn't really what he meant (he had a little hope after leaving the hospital when he discovered his wife and child were still alive, for example), but it was close.

And then Carl came back.

I don't think things would have played out the same way if Jessie hadn't died in front of him before Carl got shot.

Even without that, a mother's paralyzing love for her child in a world that was growing increasingly heartless was nice (and important) to see.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    Very nice analysis Bullwinkle!
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    No comments?

#RICHONNE!!!

Anyway my friends at work were all unimpressed. I was genuinely surprised, never thought they'd go there but in retrospect they have hinted at it more than once.

The introduction of Jesus was fairly amusing and aggravating at the same time, and I wondered if I were a TV viewer only if I wouldn't be more upset they didn't just shoot this idiot early on.

My favorite part of the episode was Carl's last scene with Michonne. I really got caught up in the emotion of that scene, and love the chemistry between the two of them. Honestly though I didn't really understand the depth of what Carl's motivations were until after they talked about it more in Talking Dead, and that made me appreciate the scene even more. One of the most haunting moments of the entire series for me was when Carl had to kill his mom, so I love that they've acknowledged that in this very poignant manner. Fantastic writing in terms of continuity and Carl's character development, though I have to say the execution confused me a little, which may or may not have been intended.
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    on 1456187779:

No comments?

#RICHONNE!!!

Anyway my friends at work were all unimpressed. I was genuinely surprised, never thought they'd go there but in retrospect they have hinted at it more than once.

The introduction of Jesus was fairly amusing and aggravating at the same time, and I wondered if I were a TV viewer only if I wouldn't be more upset they didn't just shoot this idiot early on.

My favorite part of the episode was Carl's last scene with Michonne. I really got caught up in the emotion of that scene, and love the chemistry between the two of them. Honestly though I didn't really understand the depth of what Carl's motivations were until after they talked about it more in Talking Dead, and that made me appreciate the scene even more. One of the most haunting moments of the entire series for me was when Carl had to kill his mom, so I love that they've acknowledged that in this very poignant manner. Fantastic writing in terms of continuity and Carl's character development, though I have to say the execution confused me a little, which may or may not have been intended.

What the hell was going on with Carl was definitely only supposed to be clear in hindsight, but I think the execution muddied it more than they meant to.

I have not been keeping up with the comics, and I found Jesus to be amusing and inexplicably trustworthy despite his actions (though I only mean trustworthy in the sense that I buy Happy Rick trusting him. I suspect he'll be more trouble than he's worth, if he isn't an outright baddie. That said, is there a reason there are so many British men playing Southerners on this show? They shoot the thing in Georgia, for crying out loud. I hear they've got some real Southerners there.

As for the big news. I dunno. It seems like a dumb move. They have chemistry, sure, but it always seemed like more of a team chemistry thing. If they revealed somewhere down the line that they had fooled around a couple of times, of course that would make sense, but this doesn't feel like that. It just feels like it's going to screw things up more than help things.

OTOH, I get where Rick's coming from. He's got this new hope in his heart, and Michonne tried to show him that he needed to get there a bunch of times. It's just a little weirder for Michonne, I think. I'm sure the apocalypse gets lonely, though.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    It was an annoying episode up until the last 10 minutes or so. Dumb decisions resulting in ridiculous situations. I did like the scene between Carl and Michonne at the end. Then of course, that ending! :drool:
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    It's interesting because in the comics Rick ends up with Andrea, who of course was killed off long ago. I had thought they were setting Jessie up to be the replacement, but obviously that didn't happen. I also thought they were going to have Michonne go with the pretty boy son (forgot his name). So I was totally wrong, which I'm actually happy with. Nice to be completely surprised every now and then.

Another side comment, I'm wondering why they had that short single scene with Maggie. It was like she was contractually obligated to show up for at least a minute so they threw her in lol. I guess they wanted to save the reunion with Glenn til next week but they way it played they would have been better off cutting that scene and focusing on any one of the other plotlines going on.
  • hepcat
    It felt oddly incestuous to me. I can't say I'm on board with this new development.