[TV] The Walking Dead Season 7 (Careful there will be Spoilers!)

12345679»

Comments

• rittchard
    GT Member
    I can't remember if we had a separate thread for Fear the Walking Dead, and I couldn't find one in the first 8 pages or so. Anyway, this last season has continued to be excellent. Last night's ep was probably the best of the series, and ranks up among the best of TWD's best episodes and was a nice reminder that this is indeed a zombie show. While lately TWD has gone further toward the more "comic" side of the fence, and often the zombies seem like an afterthought, FTWD has shifted more toward the "realistic" side of the zombie-pocalypse, and it's been paying off for them. Not so much realism in terms of events, but with characters making difficult choices and stepping up (or not). This was a great emotional/growth ep for both Alycia and Ofelia, both of whom many viewers probably thought would die in season 1.
  • naednek
    GT Moderator
    I hated this last episode. Especially the end. The whole running out of air thing and how Alycia was predictable unimaginative, and totally unrealistic. Then the seperation part. Ya we've seen that before with her brother.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    Fear is just as frustrating to watch as Walking Dead. I liked the character building of Alycia because she has been woefully underdeveloped pretty much the entire run of the show so it was nice to see an episode where her character had some development. That being said, the suffocation due to lack of air was ridiculous. It's not an airtight room in deep space. Even if the fan was not circulating air, there is no way air would simply run out to the point of killing everyone.
    Also, the whole thing with Nick and psycho brother was colossally stupid. What exactly was their brilliant plan to rescue people? All I saw was two idiots going on a joyride through zombietown and then getting stuck in the helicopter where they were sure to die if not for the cavalry coming to rescue them.

I'll keep watching because as of now, I do find Fear is the more interesting show. That may change once Walking Dead starts up again in a few weeks where there is all out war going on. The thing is, when Fear is good, it's really good and believable, but then it all gets unraveled by ridiculous plot twists or unbelievably stupid and illogical actions by the characters.
  • rittchard
    GT Member edited October 6
    Hmmm - well I guess I bought the suffocation plot. I thought the idea was there were just way too many people in the confined space, so people would die from carbon dioxide poisoning. I suppose it did seem like there weren't that many people inside given it was supposed to be ALL the Indian AND farm survivors, and of course it was convenient she was the only one who survived exactly long enough. And then I did think it was odd she wouldn't just stay in the cage WHERE ALL THE WEAPONS WERE given the air had come back, and wait for rescue which she knew was coming. The part I laughed at was when she did the "calculation" and came up with the 2 hours number lol.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    After last night's episode, Fear has completely fallen off the rails. There is a death of a character that pretty much came out of nowhere and was so anti-climatic it registered a big fat zero on the emotion scale. Plus, Madison spent so much effort, almost to obsession, in bringing her family together it is ludicrous that she would be so matter of fact in letting her kids just go their separate ways. I don't know where this show can go now.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    Spoiler-ish on Fear. I figure no one really cares anyway lol.

Yeah that was so irritating and like Jimmy said, it did zero for me emotionally as much as I was starting to like her. I had actually thought they might do something like this, but then I thought no writer would be that annoying. But they did it!

That actress is hilarious btw, they interviewed her on Talking Dead and she was a riot. Apparently she was like that on set, too, always grabbing Madison's boobs and such. I loved that she kept shipping Troy and the brother, I've been saying that for a while now too.

I guess ultimately this is what sets TWD apart from Fear for me, personally. No matter how far TWD jumps the shark, I actually care about the characters. Fear has had better plot elements at times, but I still don't really care much about any of them.

P.S. What's up with Fichonne? (Fake Michonne). Is she gonna be the cross-over character, I heard something about some sort of crossover.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    Ugh, if that is the crossover, it's pretty lame. A fringe character we have no attachment to?

I think you and I are the only ones watching Fear. LOL.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    Ugh, if that is the crossover, it's pretty lame. A fringe character we have no attachment to?

I think literally it's just the two of us in the entire nation!!!!
  • naednek
    GT Moderator
    rittchard wrote: »

I think literally it's just the two of us in the entire nation!!!!

Umm guys...
    naednek wrote: »
    I hated this last episode. Especially the end. The whole running out of air thing and how Alycia was predictable unimaginative, and totally unrealistic. Then the seperation part. Ya we've seen that before with her brother.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member edited October 12
    Lol, oh whoops! Didn't mean to disrespect. Okay there are three of us hardcore types.

You know, one thing that I can't figure out is where in the hell they are in the Southwest now. The ranch seems to be in the U.S. but the dam is clearly in Mexico. I can't tell if they are even anywhere near California now. So, just like the original show, the sense of geography in relation to time and distance is totally messed up.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    So.... that finale, WTF lol.

(Many Spoilers Follow, watch out you other 2 people!!!)

It seemed like they just wanted to clean house so they can do something different next season. Hopefully that bodes well, but it's also a bit aggravating. Troy was really starting to grow on me, and without him, they basically toasted the entire set of characters from this season, feels like a waste. Well I guess Native American Sniper survived but he was pretty boring for me.

My favorite line of possibly the whole series was when they find out Alycia is with the Proctors and then Madison (or was it someone else?) is like "but that doesn't make sense!" and I burst out laughing so hard. Cuz it was really totally a random plot point. She got some good scenes out of it, but it was so ridiculous.

Overall this was still the best season of the show, and midway through I thought they were doing pretty well. I suspect something happened internally with the producers (not sure on the timing) but the last few episodes felt like a "let's clean this shit up and move on" - some cool moments/scenes, but just all over the place.

Anyway, bring on the real show next Sunday!!! I actually signed up to go to the live showing at the Greek Theater, but I probably won't end up going. It's like a 5 or 6 hour event, and parking/driving around there is just horrendous. I would love to see the cast live but I just don't know if I have the energy for a full day of crazy crowds.

• Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    Yes, something behind the scenes did happen. One of the co-creators left the show and Scott Gimple is coming on as one of the producers. It's all detailed in this interview (spoilers abound!):

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/fear-walking-dead-showrunner-season-3-finale-1048507

I thought it was a decent finale and clearly a massive reset to Madison's world. The Proctor doesn't seem like much of a compelling villain though. He's kind of an extremely lightweight version of Negan and was more annoying than anything. The Christmas dinner scenes felt so contrived and tacked on which made them totally unnecessary.

The show has a lot of problems, just like the original show does, but overall I do like Fear because they do try to be different but it continues to frustrate me that both shows have a terrible lack of control over pace, logic and character motivations.

• naednek
    GT Moderator
    I'm just glad they didn't go cheap with destroying the dam.