[TV] The Walking Dead Season 7 (Careful there will be Spoilers!)

Comments

• Ironrod
    GT Member
    on 1489433976:

How could you not guess who got shot but thanks TWD producers for cutting to commercial at the right time for dramatic effect.....

Well I don't pay much attention to the minor characters or even try to remember their names, so I was in suspense. I realized while zapping the ads that the only character I care about is the fat Asian guy, and I only realized it when I actually said "oh, I hope it wasn't the fat Asian guy, but it probably was because everyone likes him." This show is not rife with jovial characters.

on 1489446020:

I have to say, though, I thought the story with the wife and the daughter and leaving the camp was a very nice moment for the actor playing Richard. That guy never grew on me (I didn't hate him, but he just never seemed special), but I actively decided to root for him after that speech. Lot of good that did.

They only give minor characters backstories if they're about to die or become mainstream characters. I figured that guy was toast.
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    on 1489460177:

on 1489446020:

I have to say, though, I thought the story with the wife and the daughter and leaving the camp was a very nice moment for the actor playing Richard. That guy never grew on me (I didn't hate him, but he just never seemed special), but I actively decided to root for him after that speech. Lot of good that did.

They only give minor characters backstories if they're about to die or become mainstream characters. I figured that guy was toast.

I realize Rosita isn't quite as minor as Sir BMX Pads, but they sure did some deep backstory diving on last night's episode. If Sasha wasn't leaving for other reasons, I would be certain Rosita was on the chopping block (and maybe she still is).

Mostly, I found the pairing between the two ladies to feel like forced storytelling. The speech by Jesus and the hand-writing girl was only slightly less effective than Sasha's empty reasons for going. It didn't make sense. None of this plan made sense. And at the end, when Sasha locked Rosita out, the only reasoning I understood was, "I'm sorry, I have to be on Star Trek."

Everything else in this episode seemed pretty good, though. I really loved watching Gregory slime all over GTA Trevor. I enjoyed seeing Eugene in action and not want to go (maybe he has a plan, maybe, but I think he just wants to feel safe). I loved the moment when Daryl saw Maggie quietly pull herself together and when Maggie lifted the guilt from Daryl, but I didn't love the hiding scene just before that (it was clunky and the moment Daryl chose to raise his knife for attack did not jibe with what was happening in the room especially and just seemed to be a plot moment). I even liked the knot tying scene between hat hottie and She Who is About to be Beamed Up.

My favorite moment of the episode, though, and possibly my favorite moment of the season, is the long, silent take of various expressions that GTA Trevor gives after the doc asks the loaded question about Negan needing two doctors. I watched that bit three times, and I'm laughing now thinking about it. Brilliant!

Then there was the car impound lot scene (maybe? There were cars, and they were chained in...I didn't quite get the set up). I feel like TWD is starting to let interns put together the shots because this is at least the second time this season where I could not figure out where anybody was in the scene, physically. The ladies set fire to a car, then seemed to duck right next to it (which seemed like a bad idea), then leaped over the fence into another car that didn't seem to be where they were but then was, and meanwhile, none of the walkers seemed to have made it to the burning car anyway...wtf? Was that just me? I mean, I get it, they distracted the zombies, then got in a car and drove away, but the pieces didn't seem to fit. Oh, and I loved the moment where they drove through the fence, but the chain link got caught under the car and the car waited there for a minute, wondering if the shot had been messed up, but then drove off anyway, fence in tow. I might have at least taken the sound of the fence being dragged away out of the mix, but I'm not a TWD intern.

Still, things do seem to be mounting. We're definitely heading to the Gun Amazon Village next week. I'm sure someone biggish will go in this penultimate episode. I had been thinking that GTA Trevor was going to have to get killed, but I'm starting to think they like him too much. He may have earned a performance reprieve. He'd be a good recurring bad guy. Or even a guy of questionable morals who gets into the group. Or maybe he'll just die and get to milk his death scene. Anyway it goes down, I've heard that the finale will be big, and I'm still looking forward to it.

Best of all possible worlds finale moments: Every member of the trash people dies horribly and then, in her death throes, T'Pol gives an eloquent, two-minute speech about life and moving forward, then gets her head crunched by a car with a chain link fence dragging behind it.

• Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    Wasn't just you. I also thought the car impound scene was illogical and clunky. The timing made no sense and it seemed like way more effort than what was required. I also laughed when they drove off with dragging the piece of fence. I'm going to assume they stopped a mile afterwards to unhook it. :icon_razz:

The episode was okay but I really felt like every time there was a scene with Rosita and Sasha, the whole thing just skidded to an agonizing halt. I get that there was significant character backstory going on but it ruined the pace of everything else. Maybe it's because I have no connection or interest with either character anymore. Rosita in particular has been reduced to a one dimensional angry, sad caricature. Sasha just seems lost with nothing much to do.

It feels like they are going to cram a whole lot of stuff in these last two episodes because this second half of the season hasn't been more than various groups and individuals wandering the countryside scavenging.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    on 1490024874:

Best of all possible worlds finale moments: Every member of the trash people dies horribly and then, in her death throes, T'Pol gives an eloquent, two-minute speech about life and moving forward, then gets her head crunched by a car with a chain link fence dragging behind it.

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!! I didn't know about Sasha leaving the show for Star Trek, but maybe they can beam the two of them out :paranoid:

I really enjoyed this episode, probably my favorite for this season. Well maybe I should just say it had my favorite couple of scenes, the two Maggie and Daryl scenes. The first one with the subtle pause was just fantastic and the second one where he says sorry was just heart-breaking. As the fans say, "when Daryl cries, we all cry" lol. In fact I'd say every scene with Maggie in it was great. I mentioned it earlier but I guess I really did miss seeing her in the show.

While it did feel contrived, I actually like the Rosita/Sasha pairing. It gave both actresses a moment to shine emotionally, particularly Rosita, but more importantly put two women in a really interesting and dynamic relationship that you wouldn't normally get to see (mourning for the same guy right after he dumped one of them). With the apocalypse everything is heightened and sped up and forced to a head where normally it might just linger, so this was a good excuse to force it into the open. And I guess it gives fans a nice justification/backstory for Rosita being "good at everything" (which btw I never really noticed or thought much about before). The actual assassination plan, as Bullwinkle says, is unfortunately pretty ridiculous as first conceived. The sniper version was actually pretty good, but it does seem a little odd how easy it was for them to get such a close position. Then again every TV show seems to allow snipers to get awesome positions (see Designated Survivor) so I won't fault that.

I'm not thrilled with the way it ended last night but I guess with the Star Trek info it makes a little more sense. The whole "you're needed more than I am" is BS reasoning since they already established Sasha got the Sniper power-up (that should have been Andrea's). So just because Rosita can tie some extra sexy knots now she is more useful? Bleh. I guess this does open the door for someone else to claim the sniper spot, maybe Carl's girl will take it since she apparently throws knives better than Maggie :icon_smile:

Either way can't wait for the final two episodes. I suspect they aren't going to resolve much and will allow the war story to dominate all of next season.
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Hell, Carl could take the sniper spot himself, seeing as how you only need the one eye and all, unless he took any tips from the Gov'ner and tries to aim through his eyepatch.

On paper, I've got no problem with the Sasha/Rosita team up, it's just that it was never justified in any kind of logical way, other than, hey, let's get these two together. I agree with Jimmy that the show came to a halt every time they were on. Rosita just doesn't have the chops, and "lost" is exactly the right word to describe Sasha. I think she's a fantastic actress, but there's been nothing for her to do buy act...vague, like her acting notes were "You're feeling something, but we don't know what it is yet" and then they forgot to figure out what it was.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    Here we go! Nice lead up to the finale, with a few surprises and some decent plot acceleration to the finale. As before, every scene with Maggie in it was fantastic. I don't remember how/when she transitioned to being such a critical character for me, but I have to say the actress is really embracing what they give her and commanding the role effectively. This is the ultimate "reward" for Glenn dying (similar to the comics), now having Maggie really become this incredibly strong and independent character rivaling (or surpassing) Rick in terms of leadership. Not that they hadn't done a good job of using her in the past, but a lot of that now just feels like buildup for what we see now.

I still don't know why the producers are so enamored with Notcop but at least they finally resolved the stupid "secret" - it played out pretty much as I think most of us imagined it would, Rick and crew getting their guns for T'Pol. I thought at least a few of the ladies would join them, but whatever, they would just be fodder so they are probably better off. It was nice to see Carl again, but his two lines about killing people seemed like filler or like they were intended to have been fleshed out further. Ditto for the gay boyfriend guy (Eric?). I guess they wanted to give him a couple extra lines before he dies next week? I know it's not PC for me to say it but I am ready to dump that loser and let Aaron get his Jesus on. :nod:

Surprised me to see the focus on Sasha. After last week I thought she might be done, but it looks like they want to give her a bigger farewell next week? The scenes with Eugene were just OK for me, but I liked her scene with Negan a lot. But at this point she should just take the pill and teleport out. I'm also curious who the "little birdie" is that Negan refers to - it would be interesting to see if it was Carl's girlfriend (forgot her name), as some had guessed a long while back. I don't know how that would make sense, but it would be a good twist.

I had also completely forgot about Rosita and Dwight from last week, but that was a fun little episode ender. As a fan of the comic I guess I should have seen it coming but they did a nice job of keeping me distracted.
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    It's funny that last week, we saw the silhouetted figure near Rosita, and I just assumed it was Daryl and wondered why they bothered with the silhouette. But then I saw Daryl at the Gun Amazon camp, and I thought, "Wait, if Daryl's here, then who..." and it wasn't until that moment that I realized that of course that's going to be Cosplay Daryl! What was I thinking?!

This was a good episode. It always helps when they're juggling the balls instead of focusing too much on one character. We got maybe a little too much Sasha, but they want to give her moments to shine, I think, but I don't know that we got those (apart from the Negan scene, which was really good).

I don't get why the Gun Amazons didn't just leave. The line about it having to be all of them just seemed stupid. If some of them wanted to go, they should have just gone. What is the old lady going to do to them? Hell, she even got her control knocked down a few pegs with a thrump to the head just a few moments before.

As for Aaron and his boyfriend, that guy is deadwood. Both in the sense that he's not going to be much help in the attack (though I'm sure he'll get a little scene) and in the sense that he's as interesting as a twig (and maybe he's also deadwood in the sack, but that's not for me to say). The second Jesus overcasually mentioned that he was gay, I realized that he was being set up with Aaron. They may not do that just to counter the idea that two characters introduced as gay need to automatically be a couple, but that'll only add more fuel to the fanfics.

I thought Negan's little birdie was Eugene, at first, but then I wasn't sure if he was there for the start of things. It could just be Mayor Douche, but I'm not sure how much he knows, either.

Anyway, next week is the extra long finale where we're sure to get no resolution and an extra-long soliloquy from T'Pol.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    The importance of taking all the guns from fem-town felt a little underwhelming because the stock of weapons seemed rather small. One wicker basket, a flat box, and a few guns slung over the shoulder of Tara. I kept thinking "that's it?"

I really hope Sasha gets a decent death scene. For her to sleepwalk through the second half of the season aimlessly only to go out by death pill would be lame. She has to die in the finale since Sonequa Martin Green has already been cast in the new Star Trek series.
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    on 1490646511:

The importance of taking all the guns from fem-town felt a little underwhelming because the stock of weapons seemed rather small. One wicker basket, a flat box, and a few guns slung over the shoulder of Tara. I kept thinking "that's it?"

I really hope Sasha gets a decent death scene. For her to sleepwalk through the second half of the season aimlessly only to go out by death pill would be lame. She has to die in the finale since Sonequa Martin Green has already been cast in the new Star Trek series.

Thus all the talk of her beaming up.

Yeah, she's usually really great, but they've not given her enough to do. I would argue that it goes back further, too. She spent a lot of time being vaguely angry or obliquely self-destructive before Abraham snapped her out of it.

As for the gun supply. The problem is that they had none. They were excited when they stumbled on the last cache, only to be told it wasn't enough by T'Pol and the Trash People (new album drops in June, just don't expect a lot from the lyrics). I suspect T'Pol and Co are going to pull a Great and Powerful Wizard (the bit when they returned with the broom) on Rick and Co. next week, too with this newest arsenal before Rick finally has to call bullshit.
  • Ironrod
    GT Member
    I think they laid to rest the suspicion that Eugene is playing a long con. He really seems to have drunk up all the Kool-aid. I suppose he could still turncoat when the shit finally hits the fan -- maybe even at a pivotal moment -- but I don't think that's anything he's planning on.
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    on 1490666848:

I think they laid to rest the suspicion that Eugene is playing a long con. He really seems to have drunk up all the Kool-aid. I suppose he could still turncoat when the shit finally hits the fan -- maybe even at a pivotal moment -- but I don't think that's anything he's planning on.

For sure he's all in. I'm surprised they teased us with the other possibility, honestly. However, when he gets tested in the violent equivalent of divorced puppy owners trying to let the pet decide where he's going to go by putting him in the middle of the room and calling to him, I'm sure his loyalty will be to Rick.

I meant to mention that Negan's little birdie could be no one, which would make the little birdie Sasha herself.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    on 1490709847:

on 1490666848:

For sure he's all in. I'm surprised they teased us with the other possibility, honestly. However, when he gets tested in the violent equivalent of divorced puppy owners trying to let the pet decide where he's going to go by putting him in the middle of the room and calling to him, I'm sure his loyalty will be to Rick.

I don't know, I still have faith in him. I think he's just doing what it takes to survive, and for now that means working for and sucking up to Negan. I don't think he consciously has a plan to do anything, but as you said when it all comes down he will be loyal to the "good guys". THe fact is h hasn't actually been presented with much that would actually test his loyalty yet, so I think it's hard to say whether he's "all in." The only thing he didn't do was run off and escape when he could have, but that's still well in the line of self-preservation. Until he sees otherwise, it's still much safer for him to be with Negan, and again he hasn't had to actually do anything to challenge his morals.

I predict as soon as the time looks right, he'll be back with Rick. Otherwise who will make more bullets for T'Pol and the Trash Folk? And they still have to do a Eugene/Rosita (Eugita?) romance, don't they?
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    on 1490723244:

on 1490709847:

on 1490666848:

I don't know, I still have faith in him. I think he's just doing what it takes to survive, and for now that means working for and sucking up to Negan. I don't think he consciously has a plan to do anything, but as you said when it all comes down he will be loyal to the "good guys". THe fact is h hasn't actually been presented with much that would actually test his loyalty yet, so I think it's hard to say whether he's "all in." The only thing he didn't do was run off and escape when he could have, but that's still well in the line of self-preservation. Until he sees otherwise, it's still much safer for him to be with Negan, and again he hasn't had to actually do anything to challenge his morals.

I predict as soon as the time looks right, he'll be back with Rick. Otherwise who will make more bullets for T'Pol and the Trash Folk? And they still have to do a Eugene/Rosita (Eugita?) romance, don't they?

I guess I meant "all in" in the sense that he's not being tricky and or planning something. As far as he's concerned, he's Negan because Negan will keep him safe.

Here's something I found funny. Many weeks I look at the "Most Ridiculous Things in Last Night's Walking Dead" articles on Funny or Die. The [urlhttp://www.funnyordie.com/articles/31302461af/the-16-most-ridiculous-things-from-last-night-s-the-walking-dead-s07e15-something-they-need]recap for last night[/url] had this:

PkcjZ0L4SP6gPOiHubjZ_Screen%20Shot%202017-03-27%20at%2010.57.45.png

[size=16pt]"I got this."[/size]

6FwG5O3fRra6WouxgycN_CZrxix_WQAA5dCD.jpg

SeuHkV7ORoKwgwx4iF1f_Screen%20Shot%202017-03-27%20at%2010.41.39.png
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    Now that's a season finale!!!! (Non-spoilered alert spoilers will follow)

Sometimes I find I have to be just in the right mood for an episode to totally grab me, and this one really did it. So everything worked for me, the emotional flashbacks, the entire Sasha endgame, the T'Pol trickery, the tigers, Maggie's speech, Negan/Rick II... I realize in retrospect a lot of things could be dissected negatively, but something worked for me last night that just totally absorbed me into the show. All the things that might have normally been telegraphed caught me by surprise, and I loved it. My main complaint is it wasn't two hours long, I would have loved to see more of everything. I feel like so many characters were just side pieces, like Carl and Carol, they barely had one or two interesting moments. Not to mention Aaron and Rosita, I guess they got to make the worthless bombs... And then the priest and others, even Jesus... I wish they could have given them all, or at least a few more, a big scene or two.

At first I was a little annoyed with the flashback mechanism, which it seems every show and even many movies these days rely on so heavily. But they mixed it up and layered it very differently, and used the music well, so I forgave them quickly - mostly because it meant we got a really nice scene with Abraham, who didn't get nearly the special sendoff that other characters have. I hope Glenn might get something similar next season... Anyway, there were so few scenes with Sasha and Abe after they had got together, I think this was a really nice one to capture their relationship, and give that much more weight to his loss. Plus it made for a nice bookend to put her story to a close as well. It does leave Rosita kind of nowhere now, though, unless they go with my Eugene suggestion.

T'Pol's betrayal was pretty annoying, though I suppose it should have been expected. It really didn't occur to me that she would have linked up with Negan but it makes sense. What doesn't make sense was just how much Rick was willing to trust them, especially given that he already had Hilltop and Kingdom support so he didn't necessarily need them as much. But I guess they just wanted to make things even more difficult. Still, she gets one of the best lines ever - "I will lay with you after." LMAO WTF. As annoying as she is, she's definitely a hoot for laughs. In fact as soon as she appears I think "T'Pol" and start laughing, thanks Bullwinkle!

For just one sec, I thought Carl might die - mainly because of my own theory about him going to college. But having Shiva come in to save him was fantastic, though you have to wonder from what angle a giant tiger could have approached with no one noticing. Of course I was also wondering how they actually captured Carl since in the previous scene he seemed to be heading off to safety. But whatever, this is TV, just enjoy it!

As I mentioned, I kept getting surprised - even Sasha's zombification caught me off guard. I knew she was dead and had taken the pill, but somehow they lulled me into some weird sense of complacency and I completely forgot what would happen if she died. I felt really stupid afterwards, but in the moment, it was wonderful to get that feeling of wonder.

Concluding with Maggie's speech brought a tear to my eye, and was a great fitting end for the season, helping to bring the whole series together, and find meaning in losing Glenn. This show has certainly lost some of its magic, and this season was definitely one of the worst, if not the worst overall, but when it gets things right, it really just hits me at an emotional core, and I have to say I love it. Just as the cast always insists they are like family, it's almost like the show and the characters are a part of my family now, they've just sunk all the way in to my psyche.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    The big battle, while satisfying on one level, was so poorly conceived and edited that I was constantly thinking "wtf" through the whole thing. I guess the whole notion was that there was chaos and confusion, as is often the case with battles, but having enemies literally appearing right in front of one of our heroes seemingly out of nowhere was illogical. I'm still trying to figure out just how the Hilltoppers and Kingdom people, as large a group as they were, somehow managed to sneak into Alexandria. Is there some alternate gate we don't know about? And with all the fighting, I have a hard time believing Rick and T'Pol just stood there watching everything unfolding. From a direction standpoint, probably the worst episode technically in a long time.

The Sasha stuff was okay, but I feel like they've done the whole time-shifting, lost in my mind's eye before and it's becoming a bit of a Walking Dead cliche. I too was surprised by her becoming a zombie which really shouldn't have been but I guess we all kind of took it for granted.

In the end, the best moment was Shiva eating faces. Thankfully, they rewarded us with a somewhat uplifting ending to counter the brutal, depressing soul crushing beginning of the season.
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    So, I guess we were all surprised, in this show about people turning into zombies after dying, that Sasha turned into a zombie after dying in that coffin. I don't know how the hell they pulled off that trickery (I suspect it was the music-induced flashbacks lulling our sense of time), but kudos to them for doing it. In the end, I thought that was a good send-off for Sasha, even if it wasn't entirely successful.

And they did it again with Mirror Universe T'Pol! Granted, she wasn't wearing a goatee or anything (not that I'd put it past that lot of oddballs), but as head-slappingly obvious as it was in retrospect, I did not see that coming as much as Rick did not see that coming.

If you think this was the worst technical filming they've had, you're not remembering the RV that was in front of Rick and Michonne but behind the line of bombs that were in front of Rick and Michonne that they had to run backwards to meet so they could drive forwards to Alexandria that was behind them. OR the recent experience with the car impound lot and its ever-shifting fences.

I actually found the flow of the battle quite easy to follow, even with the music that seemed to be supplied by Tangerine Dream. However, the cavalryesque arrival of both the Kingdom and Hilltop from previously unknown entrances didn't make a lot of sense, I agree.

I was also starting to think Carl was going to go away, and the tiger was freaking awesome (tigers stalk, by the way, so I have no doubt it could have approached unseen, despite the open ground and its enormous size and the guy on guard duty supposedly looking out for approaching enemies, and...oh, hell, who cares? It was pretty f'ing cool).

In the end, I agree with rittchard, that this was quite a season finale.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    Maybe Enid took them over the back wall? Wasn't there also the tunnel that Maggie and Aaron took, or was that a bust? Either that or some of them have teleporters. Like Jesus seems to port between Alexandria and Hilltop whenever he wants.
  • Ironrod
    GT Member
    I liked that finale a lot more than I expected to, and Sasha got a great farewell. We all knew she was going to be written out, and yet they still managed to squeeze a surprise out of it. T'Pol's betrayal blindsided me, even if it shouldn't have in retrospect. I'm even willing to forgive the cavalry's too-perfect timing.
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    This was pointed out in a recap:

How, exactly, does the tiger know who is a good guy and who is a bad guy in this melee situation? Did the tiger get some kind of face sheet?
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    on 1491286660:

This was pointed out in a recap:

How, exactly, does the tiger know who is a good guy and who is a bad guy in this melee situation? Did the tiger get some kind of face sheet?

Shiva can smell EVIL.
  • jament
    GT Member
    I thought the episode was great, except for the final battle.

I loved that, starting with Carl, the Alexandrians used the Sasha-Zombie element of surprise to get the drop on the Junkers. Oh, all except for Rick, of course, who responded to the chaos by standing there stoically and who apparently spilled his guts to the Junkers about every aspect of his attack plan. Unlike Negan, notice, who told Dwight nothing about what was about to happen. Maybe Rick will learn something about trusting every seven foot amazonian chick with bad hair that comes along.

Negan is best served by leaving Rick in charge, though. As long as Rick is planning the attacks on the Saviors, Negan has nothing to worry about.

• Blackjack
    GT Member
    I found the finale entertaining, but Shiva -- beyond the reality of how the heck do you find enough meat to keep a tiger fat? beyond infected walker meat? :icon_razz: -- still strikes me as close to Shark Jumping.

Supposedly this season finale had the worst ratings since Season 2's finale (1st under 2nd showrunner Glen Mazzara):
    http://collider.com/the-walking-dead-season-7-finale-ratings/

That doesn't necesssarily mean anything really -- the 1st season under Frank Darabont seems like the holy grail in retrospect, but the show hadn't found its full audience momentum. And I suspect some of the top rated seasons aren't really my or your favorites. :icon_smile:

I still can't help feeling in many cases that characters get killed off Just When They're Starting to Get Interesting. I wouldn't say that about Glenn since he was there from Episode 1, it's just always felt to me that too many characters get killed off either as they start to get really interesting, or before we ever get to know them enough for their death to even have an impact.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    I guess one thing to keep in mind is that this show, for better or worse, is based on a popular comic book - about zombies! So "realism" is really a relative concept (say that 10 times fast). The longer the TV show goes, though, I think the more it feels like things should be portrayed more realistic. But while they could have chosen to completely move away from the comics, they clearly took a path of wanting to service the original source material. They've used dialog that was very similar, and even directed/framed some scenes almost panel by panel (shot for shot). Maybe there are elements that they tried too hard to stay faithful to the comics, I don't know.

So I'm not making a judgment on this right or wrong, just making the point that there have always been things in the comic that are decidedly "comic book-y" which just kind of blend in to the overall more "realistic" storylines. I remember when Michonne first showed up, it was just like this badass ninja chick that really had no bearing in reality, it was like they brought in Wolverine or Psylocke all of a sudden. Ditto Shiva and some other characters which are really more like superheroes (Jesus, for one). So the question then becomes do people want the almost-superhero kind of characters and plotlines, or would they rather go entirely for realism? It's a tough call, because on the one hand the more realistic it is, the more you tend to get emotionally drawn in. But I don't know if I'd personally want to sacrifice the fun superhero (or super tiger) moments just for that.
  • Punisher
    GT Member
    on 1491240621:

T'Pol's betrayal was pretty annoying, though I suppose it should have been expected. It really didn't occur to me that she would have linked up with Negan but it makes sense. What doesn't make sense was just how much Rick was willing to trust them, especially given that he already had Hilltop and Kingdom support so he didn't necessarily need them as much.

IIRC, Rick didn't know that he had Hilltop or Kingdom support. Those were last minute/episode decisions I believe. In fact, from Rick's POV, I think it was the opposite..he knew he didn't have their support.
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    on 1491462821:

on 1491240621:

T'Pol's betrayal was pretty annoying, though I suppose it should have been expected. It really didn't occur to me that she would have linked up with Negan but it makes sense. What doesn't make sense was just how much Rick was willing to trust them, especially given that he already had Hilltop and Kingdom support so he didn't necessarily need them as much.

IIRC, Rick didn't know that he had Hilltop or Kingdom support. Those were last minute/episode decisions I believe. In fact, from Rick's POV, I think it was the opposite..he knew he didn't have their support.

I think that's true, too. In my last post, I was starting to write something about Rick waiting for the support to come before starting the fight. I realized he couldn't, of course, because Negan surprised him. But I was going to ask why he didn't stall, but then I stated thinking about it. For sure, the Hilltop people made the decision to come in that very episode, so there wouldn't have been time to confab with Rick about it. The Kingdom folks could certainly have sent an envoy to confer with Rick (they had enough time to finish planting in the episode where they decided they were in), but we didn't see it, so it seems unlikely that they did.

None the less, it does seem weird that without knowing when the battle was going to happen, the Kingdom just sent everybody up to Alexandria. Or maybe that wasn't everybody, who knows?

Either way, with T'Pol and the Trashies[size=8pt]TM[/size] going to the dark side*, they're definitely going to need the help of the Gun Amazons.

*I'm looking forward to the scene next season when Negan is listening to one of the Trashies and says in his bouncy style, "What the fuck is wrong with you people?"
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    Yeah - I guess you guys are right about Rick not knowing, I guess there's probably some ambiguity with the editing and timing of everything. I feel like Jesus teleports back and forth between the locations so I thought at least they knew Hilltop was on board. But even then they did show the scene where Maggie had to decide whether to go right then so I guess that does explain that. And I suppose we did see the small Kingdom crew marching over as well. Always good to time the arrival exactly to the very last second, of course :P Which goes back to my "comic book" post above; I have to try not to be too hyper-critical as it can ruin all the fun moments.
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    http://mashable.com/2017/04/17/the-walking-dead-season-8-regulars-jadis-enid-simon/#.xTJF_Snhmqo

In the good news department, GTA Trevor got promoted to series regular. He was easily my favorite new character last season.

In the not-so-good news department, so have Mope-pocalypse the Wonder Teen Enid and Leader of the Me Talk Bad Now Trash People, T'Pol.
  • Punisher
    GT Member
    on 1492456235:

http://mashable.com/2017/04/17/the-walking-dead-season-8-regulars-jadis-enid-simon/#.xTJF_Snhmqo

In the good news department, GTA Trevor got promoted to series regular. He was easily my favorite new character last season.

In the not-so-good news department, so have Mope-pocalypse the Wonder Teen Enid and Leader of the Me Talk Bad Now Trash People, T'Pol.

possible show/comic spoiler...
    I keep thinking that Enid will end up being the daughter of Alpha from the Whisperers.. Either as a way too early plant or as a "I thought" my parents were killed but remembered it wrong" thing
  • Blackjack
    GT Member edited July 13
    Walking Dead Frank Darabont Deposition Dirt...
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/walking-dead-lawsuit-spills-obscene-emails-tales-greed-tvs-billion-dollar-hit-1020061
    In one June 2011 email to executive producer Gale Anne Hurd and others, he wrote, "F___ you all for giving me chest pains because of the staggering f___ing incompetence, blindness to the important beats, and the beyond-arrogant lack of regard for what is written being exhibited on set every day. I deserve better than a heart attack because people are too stupid to read a script and understand the words. Does anybody disagree with me? Then join the C-cam operator and go find another job that doesn't involve deliberately f___ing up my show scene by scene."
    Water under the 6 year old bridge at this point but man, Frank Darabont seems to have a temper. =) To be fair, maybe that's just how he communicates as a matter of course.

This piece shares his side of things:
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/walking-dead-read-frank-darabonts-shocking-emails-amc-crew-1020426

The detailed AMC Standards & Practices guide (what types of obscene language you can use, and how often you can use it etc.) is pretty hilarious.

All this dirty laundry is airing as part of Darabone's continued suit against AMC for profits he believes he's entitled to from the show's continued financial success.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    Holy smokes. Both articles are a fascinating read but Darabont needs to learn some anger management.

The Hollywood system has always been sketchy as hell but the show, failings and all, seems to be doing fine without him.