[TV] The Walking Dead Season 7 (Careful there will be Spoilers!)

Comments

• rittchard
    GT Member
    on 1479141467:

I think Negan's great. Most interesting TWD villain for me, by far. Frankly, I don't really even want a backstory on him. I'm sure we'll at least get hints of something, but I wonder if that won't weaken him.

Agreed! But I think you're gonna get a Negan backstory fairly soon, and I'm guessing it will humanize him somewhat. In the mean time, I think he's exactly the kind of leader to keep all those crazies in line. I love how he is constantly testing/goading his people (now including Rick), leaving obvious openings for them to try to backstab/attack him.

As for Daryl, I suspect he is going to be pivotal as an inside man eventually.

From an emotional standpoint, I really liked Rick's Judith reveal, I thought he played the moment beautifully.
  • Ironrod
    GT Member
    on 1479141467:

That said, I think he's going to get Wicked Witch of the Wested at the end (not the melting part, but the bit where the minions cheer because someone finally took the big bad down), and I can't believe Rick's not seeing that.

When Coral had the minion at gunpoint and unarmed Negan walked into the room, I said "Just put a bullet through his brain right now." Wife said "No, his followers would start killing everybody." And I said what you just did: Maybe they stand around in shock -- "you...you killed her!" and then break into Ding Dong the Witch is Dead.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    Loved seeing Maggie again, I liked this storyline/location better than the last couple. Happy they let her have some action even though she's preggers. Jesus was super cool too, I'm hoping they hook him up with Aaron eventually but I guess that would be kind of too obvious. Carl's pretty long hair is driving me nuts but I did enjoy his scenes with Enid.

This period reminds me of some other series (maybe Lost) where each week you only got to see a subset of the stars, so it would be pretty hit or miss whether you really enjoyed the episode depending on which characters you got to see. I suspect this is going to keep going a while until they start to unify with the other groups. Perhaps Carl's road trip will be the impetus, I forgot what it was in the comics.
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Enid is still pretty blech to me. And Coral is more irritating than interesting at this point to me. Though I did like the skating moment.

Loved the other stuff, even if the angry white man belittling women and seeing all black people as interchangeable feels a little too of the moment and on target, satirically for the show (they're usually much broader in their real-world parallels). That character actor is always so much fun to watch that it still works.

And watching him with GTA Trevor was awesome fun.

This is a good fit for Maggie, so I want to see it develop well. And teaming her with Sasha was inspired.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    New rumors abound that Carl may be the next to go. His father recently tweeted a thank you at the end of his son's seven year contract (then removed the tweet), and then Chandler Riggs just tweeted he was accepted into college. Could be negotiating tactics for a contract renewal? Or maybe he just really wants to move on to college and the rest of his life given that he's spent a huge chunk of it fighting zombies.

But... turns out that the college is Auburn, which I see is very close to Atlanta, so my guess is that he'll just move to Guest Star status and just be in the show less, maybe only film during summer break or something. Shouldn't be too difficult to pull off given the number of characters they have floating around now.

• msduncan
    on 1479938170:

New rumors abound that Carl may be the next to go. His father recently tweeted a thank you at the end of his son's seven year contract (then removed the tweet), and then Chandler Riggs just tweeted he was accepted into college. Could be negotiating tactics for a contract renewal? Or maybe he just really wants to move on to college and the rest of his life given that he's spent a huge chunk of it fighting zombies.

But... turns out that the college is Auburn, which I see is very close to Atlanta, so my guess is that he'll just move to Guest Star status and just be in the show less, maybe only film during summer break or something. Shouldn't be too difficult to pull off given the number of characters they have floating around now.

I base this only on what happens in the comics: Carl isn't going anywhere. He's too critical to the story.
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Well, Fistbump Notcop got her fist bump.

Despite the ending, I suspect we'll head back to what I learned is called Oceanside because that girl who kept rescuing Tara is too pretty not to have around.

The folks of Oceanside seemed a little all over the place to me. They're threatening, but they don't want to be, but they're willing to not be, but they really are. I don't know...the gramma underwhelmed me.

I'm not a huge Tara fan, but I was kind of hoping this episode would turn that around. It didn't, really. I think we're meant to be charmed by her Keepin'-It-Light-in-the-Face-of-the-Apocalypse attitude, but it doesn't come off as genuine to me. Sure, I felt sad when she found out the doc was dead, but that had more to do with liking the doc character than Tara.

The real shocker of the night was that "Two Episodes Left" ad at the end. What?! It feels like we haven't even gotten started! The fault for this is undoubtedly how shattered and scattered the group is. I know the ratings this season have been dropping, and this slow moving season is going to have a hard time keeping folks around. Not that the episodes themselves haven't been interesting, but we're constantly resetting to see what happened with so and so, which means there's been no progress.

I still think they're making some amazing television, but they've made some pretty glaring missteps between this and the Glenn fake-out and the bashing cliffhanger.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    This one was a pretty nice surprise for me. I have not been a Tara fan at all, so I thought giving her an entire episode was a pretty risky move. For most of it I thought it was going to be another Beth-special where they would kill her off at the end. But instead they did a really nice side story with her, and it does seem like it is a setup to add to the eventual Saviour-rebellion. I still don't like the Tara character that much, but it certainly helped make her a little more interesting. I liked hearing she did all her own stunts after just coming back from having a baby, so gets plus points for that.

"Two episodes left" sucks! I can't recall another ensemble show that has this many interesting characters and fully has the ability to just take a few episodes off to feature one or two of them each time. Lost was maybe the closest thing, and maybe The Next Generation? Anyway, I do believe they will be ramping things up as they head to the "winter finale." Note that Daryl is the special guest for the finale so there should be something big happening soon. At least the wait won't be as long this time, they are back in February for the back half.

http://www.cinemablend.com/television/Second-Half-Walking-Dead-Season-6-Super-Intense-According-Norman-Reedus-101977.html

Oh yeah, I think ratings have been holding fairly stable at around the 10 million mark, which is pretty fantastic for a cable show in its 6th season. I think a lot of people like to save episodes up and then binge watch them all together, so the finale numbers should see a nice spike.
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    on 1480357544:

Oh yeah, I think ratings have been holding fairly stable at around the 10 million mark, which is pretty fantastic for a cable show in its 6th season. I think a lot of people like to save episodes up and then binge watch them all together, so the finale numbers should see a nice spike.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2016/11/27/five-reasons-why-the-walking-deads-ratings-are-crashing-to-season-3-levels/#1e2a75696041

The Walking Dead put up record numbers as 17 million tuned into the season 7 premiere to see who Negan had actually during after the season 6 cliffhanger. But afterward? The show’s ratings have fallen off a cliff in the weeks that followed. They dropped precipitously from 12.5 in episode 2 to now just 11 million viewers in episode 5.

While viewers always drop off to a certain extent after season premieres, this is simply unprecedented for The Walking Dead. Losing over six million viewers in just five episodes is not a fluke, and the downward trend may not be over yet. Having just 11 million viewers drops The Walking Dead to a viewership level not seen since season 3. The show was still popular then, but with seasons 4 and 6 averaging about 12-13 million viewers an episode, and season five averaging more like 13-15, this is obviously not the direction The Walking Dead wants to be moving. Season 6 may have indicated a slow decline, but now in season 7, viewer interest is dying off at a simply alarming rate.

They lost 6 million+ viewers from the season premiere and are at their lowest levels since season 3. So, no, not stable at all.
  • Zinfan
    GT Member
    Too many locations for my taste, can't get a decent grip on any story

1) The Saviors compound
    2) Alexandria
    3) Hilltop
    4) The Kingdom
    5) Oceanside
    6) Carol out in her own house
    7) Probably missing some place somewhere....

I didn't mind this episode but the ending where Rosita is asking Tara about where to find guns seemed a bit clumsy, why would she think Tara knows where a bunch of guns are? Why is a female asking this when we know a whole group (coven? hehe sorry) of women have a stockpile of them? If Tara knew where guns where why would Rosita think she was hiding that information?
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    on 1480363238:

1) The Saviors compound
    2) Alexandria
    3) Hilltop
    4) The Kingdom
    5) Oceanside

I didn't mind this episode but the ending where Rosita is asking Tara about where to find guns seemed a bit clumsy, why would she think Tara knows where a bunch of guns are? Why is a female asking this when we know a whole group (coven? hehe sorry) of women have a stockpile of them? If Tara knew where guns where why would Rosita think she was hiding that information?

That had more to do with Rosita's desperation for ammunition (which was referenced previously).
  • naednek
    GT Moderator
    on 1480365828:

on 1480363238:

1) The Saviors compound
    2) Alexandria
    3) Hilltop
    4) The Kingdom
    5) Oceanside

That had more to do with Rosita's desperation for ammunition (which was referenced previously).

I think it had more to do with whether Tara keeps her promise about not telling them about her discovery. Don't know why it matters now that they tried to kill her.
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    on 1480375375:

on 1480365828:

on 1480363238:

1) The Saviors compound
    2) Alexandria
    3) Hilltop
    4) The Kingdom
    5) Oceanside

I think it had more to do with whether Tara keeps her promise about not telling them about her discovery. Don't know why it matters now that they tried to kill her.

That was Tara's end of it, but I was explaining why Rosita was so intense about asking for the weapon info. It wasn't so much that she assumed Tara had found it as she was just desperate for a lead of any kind.

And the reason Tara keeping the secret still matters is at the core of the show: Holding onto humanity in the face of increasing inhumanity. Tara tried to avoid it, but in the end she made a promise (to the one who didn't try to kill her, by the way, and, in fact, saved her life at least three times). Instead of discarding all of that when faced with a need to survive (which has been proven again and again [most recently at Oceanside itself] to be a slippery slope), she is clinging to what makes a society more than just humans killing each other. We'll see how that decision plays out, but it's pretty damned important, so I suspect the gang will find their way there themselves (or vice versa), and Tara will be able to prove she kept her promise. At the least, they'll gain a new member, but they may even find themselves with a small army and an armory.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    I think it was said or implied that the whole reason Heath and Tara were out scouting was primarily for weapons, so Rosita's desperation for a lead was fairly justified (though it did seem a bit too specific when she phrased it). Food of course too, but I thought one of them was specifically talking about ammo. Then again, from their perspective they should have just got a bunch of crap from the Saviours, plus Eugene has his factory, so it doesn't make that much sense.

Anyway, this period again reminds me a lot of what happened with Lost in Season 3 and 4 (or thereabout). The writers got so enamored with back stories on new characters and spent weeks apart from the core cast, and ended up re-treading the same period in time (with different cast members) over and over. Diehard fans might appreciate this type of storytelling and even eat this kind of thing up, but general fans tend to get impatient and annoyed. Personally I could go either way. As someone who has watched the entire Lost series multiple times, I do feel the show was "deeper" and more involving overall because of the additional content, but plays a whole lot better when you binge watch the whole thing over a short period of time. I suspect TWD will feel similar. The key difference though is Lost was always planned with a story end in mind, whereas the TWD comic/story has no end in sight thus far.

I didn't realize the ratings had dropped so much, maybe the show has really reached its peak, and as the article mentioned people were likely pissed at the double death, even more so when they realized it was just the beginning of a more arduous period of waiting for them to get their mojo back. I still give them kudos for being willing to take chances on (possibly) one-shot character/story episodes that may or may not affect the "main" plot.
  • Ironrod
    GT Member
    on 1480357544:

"Two episodes left" sucks!

"...in 2016." I assume it's going to miss a couple of weeks because of holiday specials and sportsball games and suchlike.

I thought the Tara episode was OK, even though I'd forgotten about Tara's existence and couldn't remember her name. It's not like the cast needs to bring in more minor characters...maybe they intend to promote her to major character? Otherwise I just don't get the impetus for doing that episode, unless maybe the coven is going to crop up again.
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    on 1480462642:

on 1480357544:

"Two episodes left" sucks!

"...in 2016." I assume it's going to miss a couple of weeks because of holiday specials and sportsball games and suchlike.

More than a couple of weeks. It'll be back in February. I remember that being a really long wait last year.

The wait alone sucks, but the fact that there are only two episodes left was even more startling than normal because of how little progress there has been overall. It really feels like we've just had a bunch of story set-up eps.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    Don't think that last episode did much to get people back on board, but I enjoyed seeing a Carl-centric episode. Of course this entire side plot I find a bit ludicrous, from Carl essentially doing a suicide mission (doesn't he give a crap about his dad or sister anymore?) to Negan NOT killing him. But... from what I recall, the episode really reflected how the entire event played out in the comics. The big difference was Carl was much smaller/younger in the comics, so it was a little more believable that his judgment would be lacking, and that Negan would find him more amusing. Anyway it made for a nice showcase for Carl and a little more insight into the Savior's world.
  • Zinfan
    GT Member
    I guess so but why was Jesus in the van? And why was Daryl the only one who seemed to notice him on top of the truck before it left the compound? Still need some sort of advancement on the storyline, all I'm getting is various setups that are taking way too long to resolve IMO.
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    And part of the problem is that it's technically not taking a long time in their world. It really has only been a week or two, but we've had to go over the same chronological ground again and again because everyone is so spread out!
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    on 1481095655:

I guess so but why was Jesus in the van? And why was Daryl the only one who seemed to notice him on top of the truck before it left the compound? Still need some sort of advancement on the storyline, all I'm getting is various setups that are taking way too long to resolve IMO.

I thought someone (Maggie?) asked Jesus to see if he could find the Savior's hideout, it was at the end of the Maggie/Hilltop episode. No one else noticed him because he's a freaking NINJA!

I need to go back and reread the comics, but I thought I recall this portion "A Larger World" (forgot the exact title) taking place over a longer period of time. The TV show seems to be building it up in a much shorter time frame, just spread out across multiple locations. I think the ultimate point will be that they all need to align together to beat the bad guys rather than each going at it alone. Nothing earth shattering lol, but trying to coordinate will be the toughest part.
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Well, that worked much better than a lot of the stuff this season. Carol popped up and I almost had a "Who the hell is that?" moment. Really, they should have been intercutting throughout the various characters in their locations in each episode instead of focusing on one, though I understand why they did it the way they did. It was important to create that sense of separation, because when (most) of the gang finally gets together at the end of the episode, that was pretty great.

Random thoughts:

I really loved the conversation between the priest and hatless hottie, too. Best thing either of them has done in the series. That moment of "It shouldn't have been you" really justified a lot of what she'd been doing and explained her jumping the gun with the, er, gun later in the episode.

It may be because the actor does nothing for me, and I can never remember that he was the mayor's son once upon a time, but I have no recollection of him and Rosita being a thing. Was that sprung on us last night? If so, it felt a little contrived for the events that followed. If not, it still felt a little contrived, but I can let it go a little easier. I did like his practicing for what seemed like a date, but turned out to be Negan.

I thought Negan solidified that he's not just being crazy and out of control for crazy's sake in this episode. I've seen some complaints online that he's just crazy or just a thug, but I don't think that's true at all, and this episode showed that he's both smart and calculating, choosing his moments to go specifically over the line. He saw right through boring Mayor's son guy. He made examples where he needed to do so. I was surprised at how much the arbitrary death hit me. Nicely done.

What the hell was Daryl staring at in that one room? It looked like a bunch of military figurines, but I couldn't tell if those were supposed to have some sort of remembered significance or if it was foreshadowing.

At one point, I thought Daryl was going to cut his hair to disguise himself. At least a trim. No such luck.

Daryl's beating of that one guy was a nice moment of venting for him. It seemed to come out of nowhere, but it really didn't.

The rando who came to Morgan and Carol seemed odd to me. I imagine he was Ezekiel's right-hand-man in that earlier episode, but it was soooo long ago, that he just felt generic to me. And why the hell did he push the sign that was hiding his hidden caravan down? Apart from letting the audience see it, I mean.

Anyway, overall, this was a return to form for the show for me, with the promise of good stuff when it comes back in February.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    on 1481574576:

Random thoughts:

I really loved the conversation between the priest and hatless hottie, too. Best thing either of them has done in the series. That moment of "It shouldn't have been you" really justified a lot of what she'd been doing and explained her jumping the gun with the, er, gun later in the episode.

It may be because the actor does nothing for me, and I can never remember that he was the mayor's son once upon a time, but I have no recollection of him and Rosita being a thing. Was that sprung on us last night? If so, it felt a little contrived for the events that followed. If not, it still felt a little contrived, but I can let it go a little easier. I did like his practicing for what seemed like a date, but turned out to be Negan.

I thought Negan solidified that he's not just being crazy and out of control for crazy's sake in this episode. I've seen some complaints online that he's just crazy or just a thug, but I don't think that's true at all, and this episode showed that he's both smart and calculating, choosing his moments to go specifically over the line. He saw right through boring Mayor's son guy. He made examples where he needed to do so. I was surprised at how much the arbitrary death hit me. Nicely done.

What the hell was Daryl staring at in that one room? It looked like a bunch of military figurines, but I couldn't tell if those were supposed to have some sort of remembered significance or if it was foreshadowing.

At one point, I thought Daryl was going to cut his hair to disguise himself. At least a trim. No such luck.

Daryl's beating of that one guy was a nice moment of venting for him. It seemed to come out of nowhere, but it really didn't.

The rando who came to Morgan and Carol seemed odd to me. I imagine he was Ezekiel's right-hand-man in that earlier episode, but it was soooo long ago, that he just felt generic to me. And why the hell did he push the sign that was hiding his hidden caravan down? Apart from letting the audience see it, I mean.

Anyway, overall, this was a return to form for the show for me, with the promise of good stuff when it comes back in February.

Much agreement on pretty much everything here. I think my biggest problem with the way they handled this half-season, and probably my only complaint with the writers in general, is with their handling of time passage. Sometimes it isn't clear that time has passed, or time hasn't passed, and sometimes when it makes more sense that time has passed, you find out really no time has passed. I re-skimmed some of the comics last night, and while it wasn't the way I remembered it, there was a much more logical flow/progression for Rick's change of heart. In the TV show it felt like hardly any time had passed, and he just kind of flipped to the other side pretty quick, which kind of lessens the impact of breaking him in the season premiere. I realize no one wanted to see a bunch of episodes of "broken Rick" but it just seems like this could have been handled better.

Agree on the Rosita/Gabriel scene, finally a nice moment for him.

Rosita and Spencer did hook up a while back, it might have been right after she got dumped for a quick hookup. I don't remember the details but I do remember her doing it.

Negan is definitely an interesting character, I suspect you'll get to learn a lot more about him as things progress. You can tell Kirkman just loves him (both the character and the actor).

I also was wondering what Daryl was staring at, all I could guess was it was something they stole from Alexandria so it pissed him off even more? I also thought he would cut his hair lol, would have been much easier to fit in with the others. Slaughtering Fat Joe was a pretty big surprise moment, but I agree it totally made sense. At least we got to see him get a hug in the after show.

The "rando" was Richard, I think he was the guy that got into the altercation with the Saviors in the other episode? If so he'd be clearly motivated to fight sooner rather than later.

edit: yeah he was the guy, see http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Richard_(TV_Series)

• Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Thanks for that link. I had totally forgotten about the pigs and that incident with the Saviors.

In fact, it has been so long since seeing The Kingdom, that when Richard the rando described the encounter with the Saviors, I thought that had happened before Morgan and Carol arrived and we were just hearing about it.

My memory of the Kingdom episode was Morgan wheels Carol in to talk to Ezekiel. He has a fucking tiger. Carol acts impressed. Carol makes it clear she was acting and moves to a house. Ezekiel shows up and makes it clear he's been acting, too. Roll credits.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    .....and we're back!!!!

I was a little underwhelmed with this mid-season premiere. Obviously I'm happy to see all the characters more or less together again and not being so pathetic. And definitely excited to see where things go now, but it almost feels like they realized the ratings were slipping and people were tuning out and are trying to hard to reverse it. Not that this wasn't likely filmed a while ago so they'd know to react this way, but certainly the way they are promoting the show you can see the clear intent they want fans to think our good guys are finally gonna get back to kicking ass. But then they still didn't kick much ass (besides zombies)...

Obviously the highlight was the splicing scene, I won't elaborate much more than to say that was a great effect and worth the wait, even though the whole setup kind of confused me.

You can see the problem they are having with these ensemble type of episodes is that certain characters get stuck in the background and don't have a lot to do (like Carl and notcop), while others have unnecessary drama added that doesn't make a lot of sense (Ezekiel, Carol and Morgan, get with the frickin program lol. And Eric, you better keep your mouth shut if you want to stay in the show much longer, cuz fans are gonna demand the much hotter gay pairing of Aaron/Jesus, aka Asus - yeah I just made that up).

Anyway, I'm ready for the teasing to stop and the war to begin. Bring it on!
  • Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    I was confused by the actions of Father Gabriel because it felt completely random. Also, you'd think with the amount of noise he was making in the middle of the night, SOMEONE would have heard him bumbling around.

But I am glad that Rick snapped out of his self-loathing daze and is ready to go to war.
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Well, despite hat hottie's stellar performance at the end delivering lines the equivalent of, "Gosh, I sure don't know what's going on with Gabriel at all, no, sir, uh uh, not me, he must be stealing, it's the only possible explanation [non-challant whistle]," I think she may be involved in whatever it is Gabriel's doing. His spastic can collecting did seem a little noisy, though. Also, there was someone who popped up in the car behind him, and I guess given the shot of the hooded person spying on him at the end of the last episode, and a similarly hooded person showing up with the lady poseurs at the end, that Gabriel is with that group now, likely unwillingly.

I also found the road setup confusing. The clotheslining was awesome, but I never had a clear impression of where anyone was. The zombies seemed to be coming from one direction, but then were between them and the van, which seemed to be the other direction. The shots weren't set up correctly to keep clear what was coming from where. In the end, it didn't matter, though.

I've been a Morgan defender for a while, but good lord, that was some slap-worthy hem-hawing with Ezekiel. WTF, Morgan? Get with the program, indeed.

While I am excited about the Rebellion taking shape, I'm not necessarily looking forward to 5 episodes of waiting for GTA Trevor to stroll violently into the Kingdom and get killed before they finally join. Not to mention the Gun Amazons and/or whoever this new group is (unless they were also the Gun Amazons, but I thought I saw some men in that tribe).

Still, this is better than the laborious backtracking over time that the last chunk of eps brought us.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    on 1487014384:

I was confused by the actions of Father Gabriel because it felt completely random. Also, you'd think with the amount of noise he was making in the middle of the night, SOMEONE would have heard him bumbling around.

yeah, plus how did he so easily steal a car??

But anyway as Bullwinkle said I think the presumption is that the hooded guy/gal from previous episodes (probably owner of the boat) contacted Gabriel and either made a deal with him or wanted his stuff back or both. So again presumably, Rick is smiling when he sees Gabriel with this new group, who he presumes will join up with them in the uprising.

There were definitely men with the group so it's not the Gun Amazons (love that name btw), unless they've already teamed up with someone else.
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Maybe he's smiling because of someone specific he saw, but I got the impression that Rick was just smiling because he knew he'd found his army, cocky as that may be.
  • Punisher
    GT Member
    I am up to date on the comics and don't remember this new group. Did I forget something or are they new for the show?
  • Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    I seem to remember just reading that they are a new creation.