John Boehner has informed members of Congress that he will resign as Speaker

farley2k
farley2k
House Speaker John Boehner To Resign

Republican House Speaker John Boehner will resign as Speaker and leave his seat at the end of October, NBC News has confirmed.

A Boehner aide told NBC News that the Speaker "believes putting members through prolonged leadership turmoil would do irreparable damage to the institution. He is proud of what this majority has accomplished, and his Speakership, but for the good of the Republican Conference and the institution, he will resign the Speakership and his seat in Congress, effective October 30."

Boehner has been under prolonged pressure from conservatives in his party, who have accused him of failing to fight the Obama administration on issues important to the GOP.

Foes within his party had been pushing to oust him if he presented any legislation that would continue to fund the government and avoid a government shutdown without stripping federal funding for Planned Parenthood.

News of Boehner's resignation was vigorously cheered at a gathering of social conservatives just miles from the Capitol in Washington D.C. Republican presidential candidate Marco Rubio announced the news and told the crowd that "the time has come to turn the page and allow a new generation of leadership in this country."

What did they dig up on him? I am not normally suspicious but I don't see this particular shut down threat (Planned Parenthood) as worse then the other stuff he has presided over so why now? And why so quickly?

Comments

• Fireball1244
    Fireball1244
    GT Member
    There's no scandal here. He's just come down with a fatal case of "I can't deal with these fucking lunatics anymore."

He's also resigning from Congress entirely.

I feel very bad for him. But he helped create this mess.
  • Ironrod
    Ironrod
    GT Member
    I haven't seen anybody popping champagne corks over this yet. The House has been dysfunctional since 2010. The big question (as I see it) is whether it will remain that way under a new speaker or go completely rogue -- that is, whether the wingnuts will gain control.
  • Scraper
    Scraper
    GT Member
    on 1443220851:

I haven't seen anybody popping champagne corks over this yet. The House has been dysfunctional since 2010. The big question (as I see it) is whether it will remain that way under a new speaker or go completely rogue -- that is, whether the wingnuts will gain control.

That's the most likely outcome of this and it's quite scary. Their entire Planned Parenthood crusade is such horse shit and yet their voters drink it up like it's bacon covered beer.

While Boner wasn't the best speaker ever, he sure as hell didn't have a easy time of with when you consider the fact that the Tea Party is bat shit insane and has just enough power to prevent anything good from happening.
  • hepcat
    hepcat
    GT Member
    on 1443220851:

I haven't seen anybody popping champagne corks over this yet.

Really? It was pretty widely reported that Cruz and other extremists within the GOP were dancing a jig as soon as the announcement was made. The tea party wing nuts wanted him gone for ages. They were pissed that he had an almost adult view of politics. Now they can take their toys and jam them in their orifices to their hearts contents. There's no grown ups around to stop them.