Comments

• EddieA
    EddieA
    GT Member
    At this point, I can't even hazard a guess as to whether Square Enix or Nintendo will localize it. It probably depends on the amount of new stuff they add and how much additional work would have to be done to bring it to the US.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Dragon Quest 8 comes to 3DS in January

The Nintendo 3DS port of Dragon Quest 8: Journey of the Cursed King will launch stateside on Jan. 20, Nintendo announced. That’s just one month off from its original release window of 2016, but it’s yet another big-name title launching that week for role-playing game lovers to add to their backlogs.

Dragon Quest 8’s 3DS version will include updates like more story content, full voice acting, two additional playable characters, new side quests and StreetPass functionality. There’s also a fast forward feature to cut down on time spent in random battles, as well as a quick save option.
  • Scraper
    Scraper
    GT Member
    on 1481569300:

I wish this was coming to the Vita as well.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Well today is release day. Anyone pick it up?

I was going to but I canceled my order because it became available on the Amazon App store Underground (free) so I couldn't justify buying it again - because I knew I would never finish it.

Still the reviews have been positive so I think it would be a great game for most.

• Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    I set it to DL when I left for work this morning, and will be firing it up tonight. I haven't played it since the original came out 14(?) year ago. I remember really enjoying it, but getting frustrated with the grind. Sounds like some of the changes they made (no random battles, HP restore on level up, faster battles, etc) should help that a bit.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    I played the first 4 hours over the weekend. Quick first impressions:

- It's certainly beautiful. They captured the look and feel of the original perfectly.
    - Bummer about the lack of an orchestral score. The music is still good, but it lacks a little if you've heard the orchestral version.
    - It is certainly old-school, grind it out, DQ. Of the 4 hours I played, probably 2.5 were spent just grinding out levels on random mobs so I could survive the next area. Time will tell if I still have the tolerance for that.
    - My only real gripe is the camera. It always seems to be positioned too low to really get a full view of the surroundings. And while I'm glad I can move it with the C stick (on the New 3DS), there's no option to invert it.

So far, so good.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    I played a bit of it on Android over the weekend...it is so old school it is hard to get into it. Everything seems harder than it has to be but there is just so much charm sometimes with the characters. I bet I won't play a lot more of it but I will remember it fondly.