Movie / TV show trailer catch all

1181920212224»

Comments

• EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    They Shall Not Grow Old - real WW1 footage restored/remastered and directed by Peter Jackson

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Aquaman

• EddieA
    EddieA
    GT Member edited October 6
    The Star Trek Discovery Season 2 trailer looks ridiculously good.

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Glass - Official Trailer #2
    *interesting. Not much subtly though. Will there be a hook at the end that blows people away?

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Aquaman - "Fish boy" trailer

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald - "The Adventure Continues"

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Swimming with men

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Mary Poppins Returns | Special Look

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    AQUAMAN: 7 Minute Extended Trailer

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    The Ballad of Buster Scruggs | Trailer #2 [HD] | Netflix

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Another Bumblebee one....still looks like it could be a good Transformers movie...wonder how they will screw it up.

• rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    farley2k wrote: »
    Another Bumblebee one....still looks like it could be a good Transformers movie...wonder how they will screw it up.

By not letting Hailey Steinfeld sing :-P
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Song Of Back And Neck

• Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    farley2k wrote: »
    The Ballad of Buster Scruggs | Trailer #2 [HD] | Netflix

Came away feeling rather underwhelmed from it.
    Ok, so it's essentially 6 unconnected short stories set in the Old West. They range from Good, OK, to pointless. Of the good, I only found two of the stories were good enough to say they could be expanded on: The one with Tom Waits as a Gold Prospector, I could easily see as a movie of the man's life unfolding in his obsession for gold. The other would be the settlers on the Oregon Trail. Those two are classic Cohen Brothers.

The problem is that they've presented a wide pastiche of western cliches, some of them working in their presentation, some of them not. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, the story of which the title is derived from feels like it came from their LadyKiller era, full of exaggeration that became tedious.

Then you have the stories that just ramble on and on. I felt that of the 3rd story with the travelling show and the final story set in the stagecoach where the characters are simply conversing with each other for the entire story until they get to their destination. Not particularly entertaining and kind of pointless. And then the movie closes with that one, and ended up wondering, "Well, is that all?"

I get the feeling that the Cohen Brothers had an itch to do more Western themed stuff after True Grit, and had a bunch of underdeveloped stories laying around and decided to put them all in an anthology. The problem is that the end result is not particularly noteworthy.
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    Dang, that's too bad. It was one of the main reasons I was thinking about resubscribing to Netflix.
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    Yeah, there's been a lot of hype towards it. On the other hand, I've been very mixed on Cohen movies in general, so someone else might come away from it with very different feelings on it. Even for what it was, I felt a lot of it fell horribly flat and and largely uninspired.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Rotten Tomatoes currently has it at 91%
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member edited November 18
    That's the professional critic score, vs the audience score being at 75%. Both tend to look for different things, and I think the audience score is more reflective of an average moviegoing public.

This New York Post review is reflective of my view on the movie:
    https://nypost.com/2018/11/15/ballad-of-buster-scruggs-is-not-the-best-western/
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    75% is an excellent public score.
  • Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    Sure, but what it does show is that while the critics are gushing about it, the audience score shows that it's not what the critics would lead you to believe and it's a more subdued expectation. I read many reviews and the same faults I've talked about keep coming up. One or two even mention same thing about there being only two really good stories being told among those six. But it is what it is, and I'm not going to fault anyone for finding more in it than I have.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    I haven't even seen it yet, so I don't have a horse in this Western town, per se (apart from someone starting from the position of being mixed on Cohen bros films), but my point was more along the lines that critics and audience scores are almost always different from each other, and usually the audience score is lower (though there are times where the reverse happens). In general, 91/75 is an excellent score.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Once Upon A Deadpool | Official Trailer

• farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    Final Aquaman trailer.

• Rumpy
    Rumpy
    GT Member
    Bullwinkle wrote: »
    I haven't even seen it yet, so I don't have a horse in this Western town, per se (apart from someone starting from the position of being mixed on Cohen bros films), but my point was more along the lines that critics and audience scores are almost always different from each other, and usually the audience score is lower (though there are times where the reverse happens). In general, 91/75 is an excellent score.

Ok, I see what you mean. Well, I'm surprised it got an audience score as high as that as I felt the thing was a bit of a mess. I'm mixed on their movies too, as there are some I love, Fargo and True Grit among them, but some that just totally escape me and bore me.
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part – Official Trailer 2