Comments

• Rip
    Rip
    GT Member
    Cute, but it wasn't that funny. Certainly some truth in it. I am pretty sure Comedy Central is about as close as many liberals get to news.
  • forgeforsaken
    forgeforsaken
    GT Member
    on 1418139285:

Cute, but it wasn't that funny. Certainly some truth in it. I am pretty sure Comedy Central is about as close as many liberals get to news.

Sadly it's as close as news as most TV stations get to news.
  • hepcat
    hepcat
    GT Member
    The Rip Conservative Auto Post app is still working, I see. The RCAP has been a reliable piece of software since it was created by a special branch of Fox News all those years ago. I just Microsoft could duplicate its reliability. :icon_cry:

on 1418140066:

True. At least they try to be fair to all sides.
  • Rip
    Rip
    GT Member
    Sadly, RCAP finds this rickety ol place lacking.

I have already prepared numerous responses to the inevitable attacks on enhanced interrogation, but it appears that I will have to wait until Comedy Central writes some new jokes about it before anyone here will become aware of the Senate report.

:ninja2:
  • EngineNo9
    EngineNo9
    GT Member
    No, you can just take that shit to the proper forum.
  • uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager
    on 1418168963:

To be fair, he didn't start the thread.

Mike Dunn
    Executive Producer & Editor-at-Large
    GAMING TREND

• forgeforsaken
    forgeforsaken
    GT Member
    on 1418168641:

Sadly, RCAP finds this rickety ol place lacking.

I have already prepared numerous responses to the inevitable attacks on enhanced interrogation, but it appears that I will have to wait until Comedy Central writes some new jokes about it before anyone here will become aware of the Senate report.

:ninja2:

Oh we're aware of the report, not sure what it has to do with this thread though.
  • hepcat
    hepcat
    GT Member
    It's weird, but I sometimes think the RCAP is becoming sentient after it replies in an almost human way. But then I realize that's impossible.

p.s. "Enhanced Interrogation" is now one of my favorite ridiculous euphemisms. I'm thinking of adding it to my daily lexicon. When I see a kid beat up another kid for his lunch money, it's not bullying...it's "Enhanced Financial Acquisition". A man kicking his dog is no longer animal cruelty...it's "Enhanced Behavioral Reinforcement". And when I eat too many potato chips in one sitting, it's not overeating...it's "Enhanced Caloric Intake".
  • farley2k
    farley2k
    GT Moderator
    on 1418169787:

on 1418168963:

I apologize. Perhaps it shows how partisan I already am but I didn't see anything particularly political about the clip.
  • uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager
    on 1418230290:

on 1418169787:

on 1418168963:

I apologize. Perhaps it shows how partisan I already am but I didn't see anything particularly political about the clip.

I don't think we're at the point where a mention of the president (much less a video featuring him) isn't inherently political. Hell, talking about his wife and kids is fair game in the political arena these days.

Mike Dunn
    Executive Producer & Editor-at-Large
    GAMING TREND

• Scraper
    Scraper
    GT Member
    on 1418181119:

It's weird, but I sometimes think the RCAP is becoming sentient after it replies in an almost human way. But then I realize that's impossible.

p.s. "Enhanced Interrogation" is now one of my favorite ridiculous euphemisms. I'm thinking of adding it to my daily lexicon. When I see a kid beat up another kid for his lunch money, it's not bullying...it's "Enhanced Financial Acquisition". A man kicking his dog is no longer animal cruelty...it's "Enhanced Behavioral Reinforcement". And when I eat too many potato chips in one sitting, it's not overeating...it's "Enhanced Caloric Intake".

I just performed an enhanced defecation on the office toilet. Sadly I didn't get any credible intelligence out of it.
  • hepcat
    hepcat
    GT Member
    Enhanced Waste Disposal is better.
  • Scraper
    Scraper
    GT Member
    on 1418241072:

Enhanced Waste Disposal is better.

Enhanced Evacuation? Enhanced Interrogation, Enhanced Waste Disposal, either way it's all a bunch of shit.
  • Canuck
    Canuck
    GT Member
    on 1418140066:

on 1418139285:

Very good point. It's sad that the only place where you're likely to hear the honest truth is the daily show. It's also telling that RIP doesn't consider it real news.
  • Lee
    Lee
    GT Member
    on 1418263833:

on 1418140066:

on 1418139285:

Very good point. It's sad that the only place where you're likely to hear the honest truth is the daily show. It's also telling that RIP doesn't consider it real news.

I love the Daily Show and watch it every night, but I don't call it real news. It's basically the same as Fox but from a comedic point of view. They are bringing up stuff you don't see elsewhere, buts it's just as horribly biased as Fox.
  • forgeforsaken
    forgeforsaken
    GT Member
    on 1418268484:

on 1418263833:

on 1418140066:

on 1418139285:

I love the Daily Show and watch it every night, but I don't call it real news. It's basically the same as Fox but from a comedic point of view. They are bringing up stuff you don't see elsewhere, buts it's just as horribly biased as Fox.

It's a comedy show that uses news and current events as the basis of its humor. I would argue that it is far more honest about what it is than Fox news. I would also argue you're going to get better and more even handed coverage out of that 30 minute comedy show than you do out of Fox news as well.

All three news networks have issues. Fox is essentially a straight up propaganda network, though inexplicably they do have Shepard Smith who strikes me as decent newsman. CNN is a disaster of a different kind, often misreporting in a rush to be first, and frequently going down a misguided path of trying to be fair and to air all sides to a story but never questioning any of it. Some would argue that MSNBC are the liberal version of Fox, but they aren't quite that far gone yet IMO, though they are certainly on path that could take them there, that's not to say that they aren't biased, it's just they don't come close to balancing that scale with Fox on the other side.
  • hepcat
    hepcat
    GT Member
    The Daily Show has often attacked leftistsubjects in its pieces. I really do believe they're more fair and balanced than...well...you know.
  • Lee
    Lee
    GT Member
    on 1418308287:

The Daily Show has often attacked leftistsubjects in its pieces. I really do believe they're more fair and balanced than...well...you know.

Sure, doesn't mean they don't have their own bias though. For instance the Jim Cramer thing. Stewart went after him as if he represented all that is wrong with the financial press and wall street. In doing so he showed he had no clue about Jim Cramer or how trading works, as well as showing his bias against Wall Street. The Daily Show without a doubt has a narrative they stick to, but it isn't always left vs right.
  • hepcat
    hepcat
    GT Member
    But certainly not "horribly biased" as you earlier asserted.
  • Lee
    Lee
    GT Member
    on 1418327819:

Yeah, I think they are, they don't do a great job of providing the other side of any argument. They just point out stupidity in the government, press, etc.
  • naednek
    naednek
    GT Moderator
    on 1418331370:

on 1418327819:

Yeah, I think they are, they don't do a great job of providing the other side of any argument. They just point out stupidity in the government, press, etc.

But that's pretty much what the show is about. To show government's stupidity.
  • hepcat
    hepcat
    GT Member
    on 1418331370:

on 1418327819:

I guess I misunderstood you then as I thought you were saying they were horribly biased against the right (you compared them to Fox in that regard...and Fox is unquestionably and proudly rightist).

They ridicule both the left AND the right. That's my point.

• Rip
    Rip
    GT Member
    on 1418334173:

on 1418331370:

on 1418327819:

I guess I misunderstood you then as I thought you were saying they were horribly biased against the right (you compared them to Fox in that regard...and Fox is unquestionably and proudly rightist).

They ridicule both the left AND the right. That's my point.

They are horribly biased to what they think is correct. As am I. Nether one being totally left or right. You would be surprised how many places I come down in opposition to the Republican Party/political right.
  • RuperT
    RuperT
    GT Member
    I was surprised to see that Obama was on Between Two Ferns awhile back, and further surprised how much it rubbed me the wrong way to see the President doing straight comedy, in that I'd prefer a President with a sense of humor over one without. I think maybe it frustrates me he would do something so pointlessly corroborative of his negative image as Mr. Hollywood.
    Familiarity also breeds contempt, I suppose, and we see more and more of our Presidents, and from an ever increasing number of angles. It'll only become a bigger part of the job.
    We figured out secret Santa; can we somehow implement a secret President?
  • hepcat
    hepcat
    GT Member
    I suspect your contempt was a foregone conclusion long before he appeared on either of those shows. Familiarity has nothing to do with it. :icon_wink:

Me? I like a president who can poke fun at himself. I want the finger hovering over the doomsday button to be attached to someone who's in a good mood most of the time.
  • Ironrod
    Ironrod
    GT Member
    Finally saw the Colbert segment last night -- previous links were all broken due to copyright. Thought it was pretty funny...unlike his Two Ferns appearance, which was just painful.

Presidents have been doing pop culture at least since Nixon said "Sock it to me" on Laugh-In. Generally doesn't bother me, although I do cringe when it's obvious that the President is out of his depth as an entertainer.
  • RuperT
    RuperT
    GT Member
    I didn't mean to say I have contempt for our President with that turn of phrase, Hep, but that he would need to actively generate "good video" to offset an increased scrutiny in the Information Age, when no gaffe goes unnoticed and his news is often bad, just to get back to neutral.

Correct me if I'm wrong Kraken :P, but Nixon was not Mr Hollywood (which is to say, hip), and could conceivably affect his image with a cameo. Obama has little to gain; detractors actually complain he's too cool. Did Nixon do much more of that stuff?

I think I may just resent authority figures having too much fun. :disgust:
  • naednek
    naednek
    GT Moderator
    on 1418564137:

I suspect your contempt was a foregone conclusion long before he appeared on either of those shows. Familiarity has nothing to do with it. :icon_wink:

Me? I like a president who can poke fun at himself. I want the finger hovering over the doomsday button to be attached to someone who's in a good mood most of the time.

One thing is for sure Bush was a lot funnier than Obama. I say that without any political slant.
  • hepcat
    hepcat
    GT Member
    Pound for pound, Clinton is the funniest president. Ford was a master of physical slapstick, Kennedy was a great straight man, Teddy R. was a fantastic mime and Warren G. Harding was so deadpan that years later Jack Benny would cite him as his primary inspiration. But Clinton? Clinton made magic with a cigar and a smile.
  • Lee
    Lee
    GT Member
    on 1418667553:

One thing is for sure Bush was a lot funnier than Obama. I say that without any political slant.

Of course, he wasn't trying to be funny most of the time. Although, IIRC he was quite funny in the Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation Dinner (I think that is that the one where it's more like a roast).

@Ironrod: Between Two Ferns is supposed to be painfully awkward. They are all like that, no matter who the guest.