Pope Benedict XVI resigns, Pope Francis steps up.

CeeKay
CeeKay
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/11/16924342-pope-benedict-xvi-to-resign-on-feb-28-vatican-says?lite

Pope Benedict XVI announced Monday he will resign on February 28 because of his failing health, saying he no longer has the strength to carry out his duties.

The 85-year-old announced his decision during an address, in Latin, at the "Concistory for the canonization of the martyrs of Otranto", a small event held in the early morning.

The decision, which took even the Vatican hierarchy by surprise, makes him the the first pope to resign since the middle ages.

His statement was posted on the Vatican Radio website.

He said carrying out the duties of being pope — the leader of more than a billion Roman Catholics worldwide — requires "both strength of mind and body."

I hear he plans on supporting the Death Star Kickstarter after he leaves ;)

Comments

• hepcat
    hepcat
    GT Member
    Word on the street is that he's retiring to work on his semi-autobiographical novel "Pontiff with a Pistol". It's the story of a hard drinkin', hard lovin' Pope who gets embroiled in an underworld scandal after his main squeeze is found murdered.
  • rickfc
    rickfc
    GT Member
    on 1360592032:

Word on the street is that he's retiring to work on his semi-autobiographical novel "Pontiff with a Pistol". It's the story of a hard drinkin', hard lovin' Pope who gets embroiled in an underworld scandal after his main squeeze is found murdered.

I heard that he found a decent altar boy to settle down with.

:ninja:
  • ATB
    ATB
    GT Member
    Great. Now it's time to deal with all the pomp of the colored smokes and other attention whoring.
  • hepcat
    hepcat
    GT Member
    on 1360593389:

Great. Now it's time to deal with all the pomp of the colored smokes and other attention whoring.

Wait...you don't like it when folks joke about Christianity....unless it's directed at Catholics now? :icon_wink:
  • ATB
    ATB
    GT Member
    I don't mind jokes or real discourse about Christianity at all.

And I hope the new pope uses an original name. Like Monty or Dakota or Tyler or something.
  • Exodor
    Exodor
    GT Member
    on 1360601869:

And I hope the new pope uses an original name. Like Monty or Dakota or Tyler or something.

As part of the ongoing effort to increase the church's appeal to youth I present Pope Bieber I

• CeeKay
    CeeKay
    GT Member
    on 1360602252:

on 1360601869:

As part of the ongoing effort to increase the church's appeal to youth I present Pope Bieber I

they don't allow ladies to become Pope.
  • Moliere
    Moliere
    Given where Catholics live, the church is long overdue to elect someone who isn't white and from Europe.
  • CeeKay
    CeeKay
    GT Member
    on 1360608701:

Given where Catholics live, the church is long overdue to elect someone who isn't white and from Europe.

opope_zps825bbf9d.jpg
  • hepcat
    hepcat
    GT Member
    You fool! Mention his name two more times and he'll appear!
  • CeeKay
    CeeKay
    GT Member
    and let the meme's begin!

tumblrmi20cnoly61rb1ue5.jpg

posted this on Facebook: best twitter jokes so far. My faves:

How many regenerations has The Pope got left? Does this mean there'll be a new assistant too?

Pope found out there is no god. It's simply a clerical error.

The Pope has proved his credentials as a good Catholic - by pulling out before finishing the job.
  • ATB
    ATB
    GT Member
    on 1360609483:

on 1360608701:

opope_zps825bbf9d.jpg

Should read: Sure I'll be pope. I didn't earn the Peace Prize either.
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    on 1360611782:

on 1360609483:

on 1360608701:

opope_zps825bbf9d.jpg

Pope looks hungry ... perhaps he is Pope Palpatine I?
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    on 1360608701:

Good point. Perhaps they could have Pope Joao I, and he could teach the clergy Capoeira.
  • CeeKay
    CeeKay
    GT Member
    on 1360610810:

You fool! Mention his name two more times and he'll appear!

he's always here....
  • CeeKay
    CeeKay
    GT Member
    on 1360611782:

:icon_lol:
  • CeeKay
    CeeKay
    GT Member
    wow, hope everyone still has their 2012 bunkers :icon_lol:
  • CeeKay
    CeeKay
    GT Member
    An American Pope?

Boston Cardinal Sean O'Malley is generating buzz in Rome as a possible contender to be the next pope, even though Vatican watchers have long said an American pontiff is a longshot.

John L. Allen, a columnist for the National Catholic Reporter, took note this week of the growing number of Italian newspapers and commentators who have mentioned O'Malley as a candidate or written favorably about his cleanup of the archdiocese's sex-abuse scandal.

"Right now, it's tough for an American journalist to walk into the Vatican Press Office without fielding questions from colleagues about him," Allen wrote.

O'Malley -- a distinctive figure in the monkish brown cassock of the Capuchin religious order -- isn't entertaining questions about his chances of succeeding Pope Benedict XVI when the College of Cardinals convenes.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/20/17031704-bostons-sandal-wearing-cardinal-omalley-getting-papal-buzz?lite
  • CeeKay
    CeeKay
    GT Member
    all the Cardinals are locked up, now quickly everyone, leave!
  • hepcat
    hepcat
    GT Member
    A handwritten note asking for another alter boy has just been slipped through the door...

...sorry...sorry...couldn't resist.
  • ATB
    ATB
    GT Member
    White smoke. Circus is almost over. Glad they didn't drag it out.
  • Roguetad
    Roguetad
    GT Member
    I think it would be great if Pope Francis gave another short speech later today, where he would step up to a podium and say, "Women can be priests, priests can marry. That is all.", and walk away. That would be like a pope walk off homer.
  • hepcat
    hepcat
    GT Member
    But he should also drop his mike before he walks off...and kiss his fingers then throw up a peace sign.
  • CeeKay
    CeeKay
    GT Member
    awesome, now we got a pope with a built in meme ready to go:

lightenupfrancest268.jpg
  • CeeKay
    CeeKay
    GT Member
    wait, so this is supposed to be the false pope, and he's from Argentina, and a bunch of Nazi's fled to Argentina after WW2... he could be a Nazi lovechild looking to usher in the Fourth Reich :D
  • Ironrod
    Ironrod
    GT Member
    He does look vaguely like a Nazi, but I prefer that to the Sith Lord image that the previous guy had going.