Obama Memo: OK to Kill Americans Without Trial or Charge.

ATB
ATB
Ok. Raise your hand if you thought it would be a democratic president who greenlights the killing of American citizens without trial or charge?

Go Hope!

Comments

• uxFOOL
    uxFOOL
    GT Manager
    Taken on an individual basis, both drone warfare and the Patriot Act represent slippery slopes. Combine the two and you get a fucking waterslide.

I do find the timing of the release of this memo suspect, however. It feels orchestrated towards a larger purpose.

Mike Dunn
    Executive Producer & Editor-at-Large
    GAMING TREND

• hepcat
    hepcat
    GT Member
    Definitely not something I agree with. I strongly disagreed when Bush Jr. was doing something similar. I had hoped Obama would stop it, but instead he's approving it. :icon_cry:
  • ATB
    ATB
    GT Member
    on 1360160373:

Definitely not something I agree with. I strongly disagreed when Bush Jr. was doing something similar. I had hoped Obama would stop it, but instead he's approving it. :icon_cry:

Expanding it actually.
  • Scraper
    Scraper
    GT Member
    on 1360164928:

on 1360160373:

Expanding it actually.

This and the NDAA are the two reasons why I did not vote for Obama.
  • hepcat
    hepcat
    GT Member
    on 1360164928:

on 1360160373:

Expanding it actually.

I would like to point out that this was a series of memos...and an incomplete series to boot. I'd like to see how this unfolds a bit more before I declare the man to be Satan. Yes, on the surface I disagree wholeheartedly with this process. But I think there's more to come. It may get worse, to be fair. But I want to wait until all the facts are in.

Raise your hand if you thought it would be a democratic president who greenlights the killing of American citizens without trial or charge?

You believe Republican administrations are more prone to things like this? :icon_twisted:
  • ATB
    ATB
    GT Member
    on 1360168725:

on 1360164928:

on 1360160373:

Expanding it actually.

I would like to point out that this was a series of memos...and an incomplete series to boot. I'd like to see how this unfolds a bit more before I declare the man to be Satan. Yes, on the surface I disagree wholeheartedly with this process. But I think there's more to come. It may get worse, to be fair. But I want to wait until all the facts are in.

Raise your hand if you thought it would be a democratic president who greenlights the killing of American citizens without trial or charge?

You believe Republican administrations are more prone to things like this? :icon_twisted:

I was pandering to my audience. ;)
  • gellar
    gellar
    GT Member
    While I personally don't have much of a problem with it, I can definitely understand the point of view of those who do.
  • CeeKay
    CeeKay
    GT Member
    I think they should expand it to include stars who should be on the next rocket to the sun. I bet we'll start seeing better quality acting out of Hollywood then...
  • Moliere
    Moliere
    Death penalty based on facial recognition software? But you people all look alike.
  • ATB
    ATB
    GT Member
    If the Bush administration claimed the right to detain and torture anyone it wanted to at “black sites” in insalubrious parts of the world, the Obama administration has arguably gone even further, claiming the right to kill anyone anywhere whom it deems to be an enemy combatant, including United States citizens like Anwar al-Awlaki and his teenage son, with long-range drone strikes piloted from afar.

The key concepts repeated throughout the document, over and over again, are these: If the targeted person is “a U.S. citizen who is a senior operational leader of al-Qaida or an associated force,” and if “an informed, high-level official of the U.S. government has determined that the targeted individual poses an imminent threat of violent attack against the United States,” and if the person’s “capture is infeasible,” and if the operation is to be conducted in accordance with “applicable law of war principles,” then it’s OK to kill that person. None of these reasonable-sounding terms are ever satisfactorily defined, and the basic mode of argumentation is to repeat them over and over again until all meaning and sense disappear.

Salon.com
  • Purge
    Purge
    GT Member
    on 1360172482:

I think they should expand it to include stars who should be on the next rocket to the sun. I bet we'll start seeing better quality acting out of Hollywood then...

Poor Nick Cage. :(
  • CeeKay
    CeeKay
    GT Member
    maybe he's targeted the Pope too, that's why he's going into hiding :D