Path of Exile

13»

Comments

• rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member edited January 11
    Travis wrote: »
    Well, I had to start over. They wiped my spec points and when I respeced the way I thought I had I couldn't use the weapon or armor I had. Too many points and branches to remember. Although I wasn't happy about it clicking on things, watching them blow up, and then picking up stuff is still addicting.

Starting from scratch, IMHO, is a big part of the fun! Especially in a new/different League that may have some different drops and/or rules/content. If you didn't already, I'd highly recommend starting your character in the Abyss League. There's just enough additional stuff to make it worth your while, and I think it doesn't end (where your character just goes back into the main pool so you don't lose anything) until end of March.

Anyway, I like the beginning portion a lot where everything that drops is an upgrade or has potential. It's kind of sad in the late game where the whole screen is populated with stuff that is more or less useless.
  • Travis
    Travis
    GT Member
    I did choose abyss....

I forget...Do I just ignore white items or is it worth packing them back to town? I have such limited storage area...
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    oops sorry I didn't see this question.
    Travis wrote: »
    I did choose abyss....
    I forget...Do I just ignore white items or is it worth packing them back to town? I have such limited storage area...

In case you didn't decide, I would say early on you always want to keep an eye on them - mainly for the number of sockets/links/socket colors. You don't have to pack them back all the time to sell, but there will be some that may come in handy later. Sometimes the hardest thing is to get enough correctly colored sockets/links to create the skill you want.

Also if you are not getting any rare drops of an item type you need, you may find item changers that can easily convert a white to a rare, so it's really good for filling empty slots early on. Even later on, you'll likely still need to watch out for whites that are filled with sockets, and use conversions to roll for stats you may be lacking.

What's your char/account name? I'm playing on Icyritt if you want to add me as a friend. I think the account is @rittchard

• TheEgoWhip
    TheEgoWhip
    GT Member
    Are there any of the premium features that are worth spending real money on? I am already tempted to get the premium stash tabs for currentcy, cards, and whatnot , just for the orginization.

Keeping an eye out for the correct socket configurations is a good tip. I have been saving and stockpiling all my currencies, but I havent really used any of them yet. Not sure when (what level?) it becomes worth spending them to upgrade gear, as opposed to it being a waste of a resource.

• rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    The extra stash tabs are really useful, especially if you are a hoarder at heart like I am lol. I just started using the new Map stash tab, and it seems to have some special features specifically for maps, but I haven't figured it out completely.

Everything else is just cosmetic, but can be a real blast. I got the effect that changes the caustic cloud (green fog) into wild pink snakes. People seem to get a real kick out of that one. Some of the skins for teleport portals are really cool, too. The footprints are nice to remind you what direction you've been heading, but more especially if anyone is following you.

As a side note, I remember arguing that they'd never be able to survive with this as their pay model, but they really seem to have pulled it off and I am more than happy to support them. It still boggles my mind that you can play this game all the way through forever (as long as the servers are up), 100% for free. People have put hundreds (maybe thousands?) of hours in the game, it's insane.
  • Travis
    Travis
    GT Member
    I have to be honest, the community is a pretty big turn off. I am on the CA server and the people are pretty toxic in their communication. Perhaps it's the hours I am playing but it seems like none of it is modded in the slightest with kids just spamming garbage to do it. Same with asking for help. Usually greeted with WHY ALL THE NOOB QUESTIONS AGAIN!?!?!?!?! and other junk.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Is CA for Canadian? I didn't realize they had different regional servers.

In any case I generally leave the Global Chat off, I used to leave it on for amusement but as you said it could get bad. Now I use the Noticeboard to find and jump into PUGs and for the most part, I'd say 90% or more, the people are just quiet and running around like maniacs. But the other 10% have all been nice and helpful, and I haven't run across any real asshats in the groups.
  • TheEgoWhip
    TheEgoWhip
    GT Member
    Is there a reason to join PuG instead of staying solo?
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    TheEgoWhip wrote: »
    Is there a reason to join PuG instead of staying solo?

A lot of the quest bosses are abnormally difficult, depending on your build. Some times the best/easiest way to move past a boss is with a PUG (or get help from a friend). This way you can grab the reward and move on, and if you really like, you can always go back and try to solo it later (instead of being stuck trying to level up in the area you are in).

Just FYI, some of the quest bosses (and even some of the random ones) in Chapters 6-10 can still kick my butt even at lvl 70+.

The other reason is for faster leveling - you'll see groups in specific areas that will rerun the same section over and over to level up quickly (e.g. Blood Aqueducts). For many of these, the best thing to do is put on your fastest boots and just follow along to soak up the xp.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    New Bestiary League coming on March 2nd:

https://www.pathofexile.com/bestiary

Incorporates monster collection and lots of other assorted goodies. Already being made fun of with clever names like:

POEkemon
    Path of Monster World Hunter

etc etc
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    If you've got any interest, don't forget a new League including monster hunting starts up this Friday!

I'm playing a little Diablo 3 right now (new season just started) reminding me just how different these games are. Ironically, the end result of what you are doing on the surface is basically the same - running around killing crap as fast as possible. And yet the experience of evolving your character and making choices and changes and upgrades has so much more depth in PoE.

It's too bad Blizzard seems content to just kind of give up on D3, would love to see them add more content or modes or classes or pretty much anything.
  • Isgrimnur
    Isgrimnur
    GT Member edited February 26
    rittchard wrote: »
    It's too bad Blizzard seems content to just kind of give up on D3, would love to see them add more content or modes or classes or pretty much anything.

Season 13 has started.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Isgrimnur wrote: »
    rittchard wrote: »

Season 13 has started.

Yeah - that's what got me back in the game again. But the new season, unlike PoE, doesn't offer any new significant gameplay. There are some different rewards (I want my bloody teddy bear!) but it's essentially the exact same content as last season.

I'm really hoping the rumors that they are working on a new Diablo game are true.
  • TheEgoWhip
    TheEgoWhip
    GT Member
    Next time you're in D3, bump me to an officer?
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    TheEgoWhip wrote: »
    Next time you're in D3, bump me to an officer?

Sure!
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    New league starts up June 1st in case you happen to be in the mood for some hack and slashery.

This one involves a time travel mechanic that allows you to shape a dungeon in the present. Sounds interesting, hopefully more engaging than the Pokemon league:

https://www.pcgamer.com/path-of-exile-incursion/