Path of Exile

2»

Comments

• Abaddon
    Abaddon
    GT Member
    I played this quite a bit, probably 70 or 80 hours, up until the patch that added the frost shield, forget which one that was. The game isn't for the faint of heart as the learning curve is pretty steep. The passive skill tree is HUGE with umpteen options and absolutely allows the player to design completely crap characters. The meta game is extremely deep with reforging equipment slots and various gems and abilities and the combat can be rough right out the gate. Most bosses and even some mini-bosses can kill your character in a single round, you basically have to be on your game if not 110% then 104% pretty much all the time (unless you don't mind the occasional death). That being said the game is a decent Diablo 2 clone and fun ARPG.
  • Caine
    Caine
    GT Member
    after seeing this thread pop up again and the page on Steam started highlighting it, I took a look. sounds like what we wanted out of D3 instead of what Blizz gave us.
  • kronovan
    kronovan
    GT Member
    on 1382496752:
    The game isn't for the faint of heart as the learning curve is pretty steep. The passive skill tree is HUGE with umpteen options and absolutely allows the player to design completely crap characters.

IN! I was hesitant about this MMO, but I think your comments just sold me on it. ;)
  • skystride
    skystride
    GT Member
    Is there re-spec if you screw up and design a crap character?
  • Abaddon
    Abaddon
    GT Member
    on 1382627349:

Is there re-spec if you screw up and design a crap character?

You can earn 2 respec points per act per difficulty so basically 18 points if you play through all 3 acts 3 times. There are also items that drop in the game that give a respec point but they are fairly rare and tend to only drop in the higher difficulties. So yes you can respec but not even close to a full one. I think most folks experiment with "throw away" characters rolling and re-rolling until they settle on a build.
  • Razgon
    Razgon
    This is such a great game - everyone should download it right now. I really wish it was available for my PS3 though.
  • Roguetad
    Roguetad
    GT Member
    My mind was blown when I saw the passive skill tree for the first time. At first glance it seemed to have some good depth, and then I zoomed out. That is the mother of all skill trees. It was actually too much for me to look at for more than a few seconds, like I was trying to stare at the sun.
  • Abaddon
    Abaddon
    GT Member
    My mind was blown when I saw the passive skill tree for the first time. At first glance it seemed to have some good depth, and then I zoomed out. That is the mother of all skill trees. It was actually too much for me to look at for more than a few seconds, like I was trying to stare at the sun.

Unfortunately most of it is rather useless. I would say 70% of the nodes are simply there as filler or even minor barriers on the way to the one or two keystone nodes (big golden circle) or on your way to grabbing as many health or Energy Shield nodes as you can squeeze out of your skill points.

General consensus is Normal Difficulty you can pretty much face roll with any build i.e. you won't realize how screwed your character is, midway through 2nd tier, cruel, you will start to have that uneasy feeling that your going to need a lot of respec points and after act I merciless if you haven't followed the prescribed "rules" of character building it's time to start a new character. If you play HC it's locked down even tighter.

There are all these awesome DPS nodes for magic, ranged weapons, all the variations on melee, both 1 and 2 handed, tons of extra Crit chance or Crit damage, increased stun, increased knock back, higher proc rates so on and so on but essentially you want 95% survivability (health, Energy Shield, Resists, Chaos Inoculation) and defensive utility (lower stun chance, lower freeze chance, life leech etc.) and 5% of some of the other cool stuff.

As I mentioned earlier bosses in this game are reportedly ridiculously hard, the dev's recently made them harder and are planning a global nerf that will, by all accounts, strip away the one tried and true method to deal with the end game bosses.

This was one of my gripes with the game during the months that I played in beta, although to be fair the game does serve a niche, I'm just not sure I'm in that niche any longer. :icon_razz: If you played enough Diablo II you probably remember the encounters where you stepped on the screen and immediately died from the boss/pack of mobs you can't even see yet with the insane elemental pulsing aura, or the Act III Hell difficulty encounters that made you want to scream in frustration. Path of Exile, while not quite as bad as that, is an homage to those "good o'l days". :icon_twisted:
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    A Steam bud recommended this to me, and I put in about 11 hours or so over the weekend. Great stuff, even if it took a long time to grasp the differences (never has an identity scroll been so popular :icon_smile:; the passives tree, gems for skills, no gold, etc.) and a lot of questions that were generally answered promptly and even nicely in general chat.

I toggle general chat on and off because sometimes it's fun and useful, and other times people in there sound like they should be locked up in prison, but to say that would be an insult to prisons. Some of the garbage talk is so nasty I can't even grasp that human beings talk like that. Though hey, that's the Internet in a nutshell, right? :icon_razz: In co-op, everyone has seemed OK or mute, which is fine.

My custom build is pretty simple so far -- just a 2 hand sword and shield/sword guy with a few goofy gem skills for flavor and handling large groups. Putting a lot of points into armor, health and shield blocking etc.

I love the shield stuff but wish the shield charge was faster (more like Diablo 2's paladin, or the shield charging in Titan Quest or even Marvel Heroes' Captain America) -- here it's more this lumbering charge with a nice damage hit at the end.

If there's any interest in a GamingTrend guild in this, maybe we can get one going?
    (or maybe we have one already?). I've done a bit of co-op and it's been fun though as in D3, everyone seems in a frantic hurry or they just want to group for a particular boss and then *boom* everyone disappears.

Also gets a little confusing cause sometimes if I exit an MP game and restart solo, the zone seems to still be in MP mode (so you see equipment all over the ground, and no enemies). Usually it clears up next time I login, if I wait a while.

Although Path of Exil's already spectacularly gory and gruesome, more so than anything since Age of Conan imho, I might have to try the f2p store gizmo that adds even more gore effects to a weapon. :icon_twisted:
  • kronovan
    kronovan
    GT Member
    What's the best source/site for a character building guide for this game?
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    on 1382976329:

What's the best source/site for a character building guide for this game?
    Official site [pathofexile.com] has a character build page [I used bitly cause the link is insanely long]:
    http://bit.ly/18v8yje
    (note: doesn't look to me as it does in game -- I dunno, maybe this is a different passive tree for a class I'm not playing? Or does everyone have a passives tree looking like this?)

Googling pulled up this fan site which seems to have a lot of character build stuff going on:

Path of Exile Dominance
    http://www.pathofexiledominance.com/

Builds Section:
    http://www.pathofexiledominance.com/builds/

I'll try to share mine (about L23 now) although probably it sucks. :icon_razz: It's narrowly focused on life/armor/shield for survivability, and two-hand melee/swords for offense. Not much else beyond the +10 Strength and +10 Dexterity choices necessary to work through the passives tree.

Pretty intimidating tree at first glance. I dig that I never feel like I'm wasting a point to get to something else on the tree.
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    I went ahead and created a guild with the clever name:

[size=24pt]Gaming Trend Guild[/size] :icon_razz:

My lone character so far is:
    Blackjackier

If you're keen on helping me get a little GT guild going, just message me in game, PM here or mention a character name here, and I'll try to send you an invite. :icon_smile: I'm on the U.S./North American server.

Update: Got one taker last night, so we officially have a "plurality" in the PoE guild. :icon_smile: While it offers a guild chat channel, officer designations etc., it seems like you do have to spend a bit in the Game Store to buy a guild stash tab.
  • Zarkon
    Zarkon
    GT Member
    Re Guild: You have a 30 person cap, and can expand it to 200....at a cost of $1 per person (in chunks of 10). I don't know the price on extra stash tabs, but I wouldn't be surprised if GGG ends up discounting these periodically.

I'm in the Something Awful guild (Pants in Exile) and we're already capped at 200.
  • Abaddon
    Abaddon
    GT Member
    It appears only the guild leader can spend in game currency for guild perks, on the positive side guild members can gift currency to the guild leader back on the negative side Guild stash is reportedly very very buggy so on the positive side guilds can save some cash for the moment. :P
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    on 1383192022:

It appears only the guild leader can spend in game currency for guild perks, on the positive side guild members can gift currency to the guild leader back on the negative side Guild stash is reportedly very very buggy so on the positive side guilds can save some cash for the moment. :P
    Doesn't appear to be any interest here (thanks Abbadon for joining), probably most GTers are in guilds or just got burned out on beta :icon_smile:

So probably I'll disband it. A Steam bud wanted to invite me onto the Gamers With Jobs guild, which has about 17 members now. I don't hang out at that forum but know some folks there.

Act 3 started to feel grindy,though maybe I'm spoiled beating on areas well below my characters' level.

I wish the game gave me info on what quests your party members are working on. Sometimes the title of the session I'm joining doesn't reflect their progress when I join. E.g., I find I can't use portals because my quest progression isn't far enough, or vice versa.
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    I meant to ask, are blue gems meant to be near impossible to find?

I finally found one at about L31 last night. It's a "toggle" passive for your shield that gives a chance to zap nearby targets with a bit of lightning damage when you successfully block an attack. It looks cool, not sure how effective it is, and it cuts down your mana reservoir a bit. So far, that's the only blue gem I've ever seen in the game.
  • Roguetad
    Roguetad
    GT Member
    on 1383235051:

I meant to ask, are blue gems meant to be near impossible to find?

I finally found one at about L31 last night. It's a "toggle" passive for your shield that gives a chance to zap nearby targets with a bit of lightning damage when you successfully block an attack. It looks cool, not sure how effective it is, and it cuts down your mana reservoir a bit. So far, that's the only blue gem I've ever seen in the game.

Are you asking about blue skill gems, or is a blue gem something else? When I started a witch a couple of days ago, most of her quest rewards were blue skill gems. Seems itemized by class.
  • Zarkon
    Zarkon
    GT Member
    Quest rewards are by class and are available on the POE Wiki (can't remember the URL right now, I'm at work).

There are a few gems that are either drop-only, or only show up as Quest rewards in Act 3 of Merciless (the 3rd difficulty, like Inferno in Diablo 3). These are usually expensive. For example, Multistrike goes for 6-7 Chaos, and is one of those gems from Act 3 of Merciless.
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    I managed to finish Act III, mostly, in a co-op group in the wee hours last night. I took a few hours nap first in "preparation." :icon_smile:

When our large group was about to tackle the final boss in its lair... oops. All but one of us crashed. :icon_smile: Strangely, it occurred at exactly the right time for me to order a certain something, so that worked out. :icon_cool:

That was the most fun I've had in co-op in this so far even if it's mostly a cakewalk at normal. It helped to have a few patient people, folks who would drop TPs next to needed quest objectives, etc. The "pages" quest in Act 3 wouldn't spawn the 4th page, so I was able to start a brief solo session later and pick it up OK.

I have a couple blue skill gems now, but I seem to get about 60% green, 35% red, 5% blue. Just an eyeball estimate. :icon_smile:
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Fired this up again after a long hiatus, looks like a big expansion is in the works and should be out later this year:

http://massivelyop.com/2017/02/14/path-of-exile-the-fall-of-oriath-reveal/

http://www.pathofexile.com/oriath
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    I thought a couple of people here played this on occasion, thanks to the releases of the week I saw they have yet another big expansion coming out:

http://www.pathofexile.com/war

While there are some things I don't love, I actually think PoF may be the best all-around ARPG out there right now. It doesn't have the flash of Diablo 3, but I think from a gameplay/content standpoint it's a stronger (spiritual) sequel to Diablo 2.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    I love Diablo and have played countless hours of all three games. And I've played nearly every hack-n-slash clone (Titan Quest, Grim Dawn, Torchlight, Darkstone, etc.). I generally just love the genre.

However, I've tried PoE on three separate occasions, and just can't get into it at all I can't really put my finger on why, but I never end up playing for more than a week before losing interest entirely. It's weird.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Gratch, I was kind of the same way - I actually started playing it in the early parts of development like 4 years ago. Each time I played I didn't get much further than middle of Act I or something like that. But somehow the last time I picked it up earlier this year, it finally grabbed me and I realized it really is one of the best ARPGs out there. I think they've increased the leveling pace for the earlier parts of the game to get you deeper into the game faster, and it (hopefully) helps a lot.

The giant web of passive upgrades is kind of confusing, but once you start leveling more it gets more and more fun in terms of customization. Honestly I believe this game really offers the most customization/personalization of any ARPG out there, and that's where it shines.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    rittchard wrote: »
    The giant web of passive upgrades is kind of confusing, but once you start leveling more it gets more and more fun in terms of customization. Honestly I believe this game really offers the most customization/personalization of any ARPG out there, and that's where it shines.

I might give it another look, as I'm between games at the moment and itching for something to play.

I mostly remember looking at the entirely ridiculous number of options in the skill trees and my brain just...shutting down. I also recall hitting a boss wall fairly early in the game that I couldn't get past, which I thought was odd. Maybe they've smoothed some of that process out.
  • Bullwinkle
    Bullwinkle
    GT Member
    Steam tells me I've played 2.5 hours of this game. Is it the one that starts on a beach and you kill a lot of undead and maybe crabs? If so, it seemed less like an ARPG and more like MMORPG to me. Never clicked for me, either.

I downloaded it for the XBone, but never fired it up. Can anyone describe how it compares?
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    Yep, that's the one. I think it would technically be classified as an MMOARPG.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member edited December 8
    It's definitely more of a purist hack/slash ARPG in the mold of Diablo 2/3. The "MMO" interaction with other players is only in towns outside of the instances where the action occurs. So really all the content is instanced, and you can play solo or with a group (or solo while in a group), using portals to get together.

Within a "town" there are some locations that are "quest/story-locked" so if you are in a group you may not always be able to jump straight to them if you are behind them in the story. If you ever played the defunct games Mythos or Hellgate, it's a lot like those.

There are guilds (I think mostly just for chat) and "leagues" (which I think are similar to Diablo 3 in that they can only be played in that league but get access to some special stuff), and of course both softcore and hardcore modes.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    I played quite a bit this weekend in the brand new "Abyss League." The addition here are abyss rifts that appear randomly on maps as green dots. They are totally voluntary - you have to run over the spot to make them spawn. A rift of varying magnitude will open and a bunch of creepy bugs and junk spews out for you to kill. Basically they just give you some more stuff to kill, and they have their own random drops (belts and jewels that go in the belt I think are it). Nothing spectacular, just more stuffs to kill.

If you are a Diablo 2 fan, or a fan of creating distinctive/customized character builds in an ARPG, you really owe it to yourself to give this game another look. The amount of variation and depth of what you can change is staggering, and this is coming from someone who has never actually hit the so-called "endgame." Skill gems determine what you use actively, but these can be enhanced/modified by support gems, up to a maximum of 6 can be combined together. So you might start with a simple spell that creates a standard fire blast, and end with one that has multiple blasts and with further range and more damage and other side effects. The main gem can be levelled up, as can the support gems. Then there is the massive passive skill tree which can further modify how effective that spell can be cast. It's pretty crazy, and I think they do a decent job of trying to not overwhelm you with the options, but as the game has matured, they seem to have realized giving you more of the cool stuff sooner is a good thing.

The game has some unique quirks that might kind of turn you off (like the economy which has no gold/cash), and the opening half hour to hour or so is underwhelming (undead and crabs galore lol). But by the time you start getting into your character build and messing with some new skills+mods, slaughtering tens of mobs at a time, it really ramps up. Play in a group and the screen becomes a mess of slaughter and loot drops.

If you haven't played since release or even the last year or so, it seems they've sped up the early leveling process and added a number of "quality of life" features to the UI. To give you an idea, I never made it through Act I in all the hours I spent in beta; yesterday I finished it in two hours (granted I have run it multiple times now). In around 8 hours played time, I think I'm around lvl 40 in Act 4. I got my first 5 slot bow (4 linked) ever (this includes my previous characters which I maxxed around the 50s) and have 3 or 4 unique drops. The point being that they have clearly ramped up the rate to move you quicker into the new "Maps" of which I know nothing about at this point.