Guild Wars 2 (official review on pp 21)

Comments

• rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    on 1296149137:

RELEASE DATE!

naw, just kidding, it's only the Guardian class.

umm.. why does Rittchard have that crazed look in his eyes?

smiley_happymob.gif

Luckily I'd already read about this last night so I knew about it. Otherwise I might have gone :saywhat:

Guardian looks prett sweet, maybe not as flashy as some of the other guys though. I did like that last Hammer spell though, that looked very cool.
  • PR_GMR
    PR_GMR
    GT Member
    So there are Monks--I'm sorry--Guardians! .. in Guild Wars 2. Awesomeness! :nod:
  • skystride
    skystride
    GT Member
    on 1296161782:

So there are Monks--I'm sorry--Guardians! .. in Guild Wars 2. Awesomeness! :nod:

A Monk in heavy armour... D&D just rolled over in his grave.
  • CeeKay
    CeeKay
    GT Member
    there's going to be a playable demo at PAX East.
  • PR_GMR
    PR_GMR
    GT Member
    A look at the Human lands. This game truly looks like a work of art. :eek:
  • The Grue
    The Grue
    on 1297349469:

No kidding. That video was beautiful.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    on 1297349469:

Wow, that looks quite remarkable.

I'm not a big MMO guy, but am really looking forward to GW2. The original GW was the only MMO that has ever really kept my attention for more than a week or two, mostly because it was possible to actually solo through most of it (I'm a fairly anti-social gamer). While I can't see myself playing it long-term, I certainly will be giving it a shot with the rest of the GT/OO crew.
  • CeeKay
    CeeKay
    GT Member
    assuring quality. I bet the QA people just want to keep the game for themselves.
  • CeeKay
    CeeKay
    GT Member
    on 1297349469:

now only if they'd let us climb over everything in that city shown a la Assassin's Creed.
  • morlac
    morlac
    on 1297436868:

I'm not a big MMO guy, but am really looking forward to GW2. The original GW was the only MMO that has ever really kept my attention for more than a week or two, mostly because it was possible to actually solo through most of it (I'm a fairly anti-social gamer). While I can't see myself playing it long-term, I certainly will be giving it a shot with the rest of the GT/OO crew.

Does not compute. :)
  • CeeKay
    CeeKay
    GT Member
    this could possible show up on consoles too. don't worry though, they've said before that they're focusing on PC development first.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Sigh, I opened this thread to see what news CK had for us, and I saw "RELEASE DATE" (from a few posts up) - for just a microsecond I thought it was the official date, and then I realized it was the thing from before. :crybaby:
  • CeeKay
    CeeKay
    GT Member
    Ah, the joke that keeps on giving :icon_twisted:
  • Huw the Poo
    Huw the Poo
    GT Member
    Ritt - you hold him down, I'll beat him. :)
  • CeeKay
    CeeKay
    GT Member
    thief gameplay:
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    4-part Beginnings Walkthrough from GDC: (including the Thief from above, Part 3)
    http://www.gametrailers.com/game/guild-wars-2/11916?show=Features#Content

The voiceovers are great, though the character model mouths animate like, well, mannequins. Clearly I pay too much attention to character model's speaking animations, or lack thereof. :icon_razz:

The cross-profession combos in Part 4 (http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gdc-11-guild-wars-2/711231) sound pretty fun. :icon_cool:

Downed State reminds me a bit of Left 4 Dead when you're down but not out, but at least here you can eventually get your back up without help.
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    TenTonHammer has some GDC interview/footage concerning ...

The Thrill of the Hunt - An Exclusive Look at the Norn Guardian in Guild Wars 2
    http://www.tentonhammer.com/gw2/media/videos/norn-guardian

The Q&A towards creating your biography, and the related personality system (which impacts how NPCs react to you later, and how other characters respond to you), sounds neat.
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    on 1299691235:
    It sounds (I mean this as a compliment) very similar to LOTRO's system. Though the node detail sounds very refreshing...

[size=10pt]Characters can gather all types of crafting materials, and gathering nodes in Guild Wars 2 are not exclusive, or used up after a player gathers materials from it. If you’ve played other MMOs, you may have felt frustrated when trying to gather crafting materials; you’re running around zones trying to find nodes, only to have someone beat you to the node, or take the resources while you’re fighting an enemy that attacked you before you could gather them. In Guild Wars 2, each node can be gathered by every player, so when you see a rare node off in the distance, you don’t need to abandon what you’re doing to try and beat other players to it.

We decided to make gathering available for all characters for a couple major reasons. First, we wanted gathering nodes to be sought after by every player, so that when players are grouped together they don’t need to feel guilty by making the group wait for them while they run off after an ore vein on the side of the road. Secondly, gathering professions are often used for economic gain, through selling materials to other players, and we didn’t want crafters to have to sacrifice their economic potential in order to be able to craft gear for themselves and friends.[/size]
    Whether this will produce more gold farmers and gold spammers or fewer, is up to... well, maybe there's an idea for a poll there. :icon_smile:

Also refreshing:
    [size=10pt]Our intent is that you should never have to make something you consider worthless while leveling a crafting discipline.[/size]
    Hallelujah!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Just sat thru the PAX panel. Didn't know really anything about the game besides Rittchard's raves :) so decided to check it out. I'm officially drinking the Kool aid - this game sounds (and looks) amazing. A lot of IMHO great features. Unfortunately not going to have time to go see the floor demo but I'm sure that footage is already online or will be soon.
  • CeeKay
    CeeKay
    GT Member
    you need to kidnap one of the dev's so rittchard can make them release it already.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    on 1299967540:

you need to kidnap one of the dev's so rittchard can make them release it already.

Yes please! I will do whatever it takes to make this release happen this year. I have watched all seasons of 24, all Lost episodes featuring Sayid, and both Hostel films in order to prepare myself on torture techniques. With birds falling out of the sky, millions of dead fish popping up, earthquakes, tsunamis, and George Martin releasing Book 5, clearly the End of Days is approaching quickly. I would really like to play GW2 and/or D3 before that happens.
  • Asharak
    Asharak
    GT Member
    Oh my god, am I about to scoop CeeKay?!

Eurogamer has a lengthy interview / hands-on impressions article about GW2. All the same PR awesome sauce is on display:

- GW2 has "junked the holy trinity".
    - Public events, rather than individual quests, will not be rare or occasional but will be the backbone of the "mass" of GW2's content.
    - "The levelling curve is now almost a flat line".
    - "The endgame should not be different from the game you played to get to it"

And Eurogamer's conclusion: "Since it's not fighting for your $15 a month, Guild Wars 2 can happily co-exist with World of Warcraft. The question, really, is whether World of Warcraft, in all its undeniable but ageing glory, can co-exist with Guild Wars 2."

- Ash
  • The Grue
    The Grue
    on 1300927683:

The question is whether people want to play a game without the holy trinity. People seem really resistant to change and so it will be interesting to see how they might react to this.
  • Wargus
    Wargus
    on 1300930310:

on 1300927683:

The question is whether people want to play a game without the holy trinity. People seem really resistant to change and so it will be interesting to see how they might react to this.

People are also dumb, if they can capitalize on this they can also junk the holy trinity and those of us who aren't dumb will be better for it.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    on 1300927683:

- Public events, rather than individual quests, will not be rare or occasional but will be the backbone of the "mass" of GW2's content.
    - "The levelling curve is now almost a flat line".
    - "The endgame should not be different from the game you played to get to it"

I know I'm like a broken record, but seriously every single one of these are/were things I've specifically bitched about ad infinitum over the past years in one form or another. Most recently I've been concerned about GW2 also relying on solo questing for the main levelling structure, but it sounds like even that is being addressed. It really feels like this is (almost) the exact game I personally would have designed if I had had a chance.
  • Harkonis
    Harkonis
    GT Member
    part of the reason the whole tank/heal/dps thing came about in the first place is because it's a mechanic that just simply makes sense. It's easier if you only have to deal with one person getting hit because that's who you focus on keeping alive and the rest can focus on doing more damage.

Other games have claimed to have done away with it before, hopefully they figured out some magical way. CO supposedly didn't have the mechanic, but people ended up playing that way anyway.

I may be alone here with this view, but I wish mmo's would go back to the kills giving more xp than the quests. Quests should be a way to direct you to do thing and go places and get rewards in the form of loot, but when quests provide a huge % of the xp and mobs very little, you'll find it harder to get people together to run quests they have already done. It also makes it easier for players to find gaps in the quest content and be stranded between level tiers. I don't like the far extreme where quests give next to nothing and it's all grinding though (Aion for example). FWIW Rift seemed to do this pretty well. Quest worth about 5k xp, each kill about 200xp with average quest requiring somewhere around 25-40 mobs to kill to complete. It meant you got roughly the same or more xp from the kills as the completion.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    The way the guy described it in the PAX session was kind of like this:

You are traveling along and some guy runs up to you and says, "hey! These satyrs are attacking that town!" So you go and try to save the town. If you succeed, everything's great, if you fail, the town is taken over and then it branches off. For example, the satyrs go out into the forest and start collecting trees for siege weapons so you have to stop that before you can attack and take the town back.

So that one is a bit like Rift invasions, but more complex. And supposedly there's multiple successive branches if you fail, and there's like 1000 of these situations. Originally there were no quest markers at all and they just wanted people to explore. However they found that to be a little too hard for people so they added some breadcrumb NPCs to point you toward the events. They didn't really go into what classes you will need to win, but they did say they will scale based on who is in the area at the time so a small group will not be prevented from winning the event.

Now the other bit they talked about, and depending on how it works Hark might completely hate, is the sidekicking system. They said that if a high level guy goes into a low level area, he will be knocked down so he can't gank people. I have no idea how that actually works though. They also said that low level people can go into high level areas and get pulled up to their friend's level. That seems like it would pose a problem to XP gains, so they were probably oversimplifying how it works.