Guild Wars 2 (official review on pp 21)

Comments

• Huw the Poo
    on 1286401985:

You guys crack me up.

Heh, yeah, I just caught up with the last few posts from Rittchard's onwards; hilarious! :icon_lol:

As for pre-order bonuses...nothing announced that I'm aware of, but it could be a mouldy potato and I'd still preorder. I wonder how easy it will be to play one-handed.
  • Razgon
    on 1286809063:

on 1286401985:

You guys crack me up.

Heh, yeah, I just caught up with the last few posts from Rittchard's onwards; hilarious! :icon_lol:

As for pre-order bonuses...nothing announced that I'm aware of, but it could be a mouldy potato and I'd still preorder. I wonder how easy it will be to play one-handed.

what?? Did you loose your hand or something, Huw?? :eek:
  • Huw the Poo
    You on Skype, Raz? I'll show you what I mean. :icon_biggrin:
  • Razgon
    on 1286809319:

You on Skype, Raz? I'll show you what I mean. :icon_biggrin:

I now have an inkling about what you speak.... I will politely but firmly decline your..eh..offer :D
  • skystride
    Toxo posted this over in the Wanderers forum. Check what rewards you already have for GW2:
    http://hom.guildwars2.com/#page=welcome

I'm only at 5.
  • Elmo
    3 in Honor. However since my GW account was hacked and they are doing nothing to replace all the stuff I lost I'll probably pass on GW2 anyway.
  • skystride
    How long does it take to unlock stuff in the Hall of Monuments. I'm really tempted to go back and try to at least get a cool pet or something for GW2. Is there a good guide for it?
  • greeneggsnham
    You pretty much get 3 points for just having an account. Having a few minipets will get you 1-2 points (depends on rarity). Level a ranger pet up to 20 = another point. Rare pet (black moa, etc), one more. Have MOX? Another. I haven't done much for titles, etc and I've got 9 points. When I used the calculator, If I work at a few titles, hero and character armor and weapons, I could get it up to 30. (30 is the max needed for bonus items and not just titles). Not sure if it's really worth all the effort or if all that gear will be replaced very shortly.

Anyone see any videos where gear/weapon equipment management is shown?
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    GW 2 is featured on the cover of PC Gamer. I just picked it up but haven't had a chance to see if there's any significant new info in it.
  • Huw the Poo
    Read, my good man! Read, read!
  • CeeKay
    GT Member
    on 1287519649:

GW 2 is featured on the cover of PC Gamer. I just picked it up but haven't had a chance to see if there's any significant new info in it.

What if there was a release date in there and you now know without knowing?
  • skystride
    They announced it's coming out on the same day as Diablo 3 :icon_twisted:
  • CeeKay
    GT Member
    on 1287544089:

They announced it's coming out on the same day as Diablo 3 :icon_twisted:

I could live with that.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    All classes revealed!
    Release date revealed! 11/11/11!!!!!
    Closed beta codes revealed!
    Handwritten love note to Rittchard revealed!!!

Just kiddin, it was a decent article but mostly just stuff I'd already read about. Some specifics about specific dungeons which was kinda cool.

• CeeKay
    GT Member
    A more appropriate release date would be 2/2/22.
  • Blackadar
    GT Member
    I'm moderately interested in GW2. I tried out GW1 and didn't much like it - it felt like a dull single-player RPG with the option to occasionally group with other players. For me, it didn't get the mix right and it felt lonely, which is a bad thing for a MMO. The instanced content didn't help much and made the world feel artificial.

But we'll see on #2 - no doubt that some of it looks and sounds pretty awesome.
  • PR_GMR
    on 1287598086:

All classes revealed!
    Release date revealed! 11/11/11!!!!!
    Closed beta codes revealed!
    Handwritten love note to Rittchard revealed!!!

Just kiddin, it was a decent article but mostly just stuff I'd already read about. Some specifics about specific dungeons which was kinda cool.

You had me going with that release date! :icon_razz:
  • skystride
    on 1287672331:

I'm moderately interested in GW2. I tried out GW1 and didn't much like it - it felt like a dull single-player RPG with the option to occasionally group with other players. For me, it didn't get the mix right and it felt lonely, which is a bad thing for a MMO. The instanced content didn't help much and made the world feel artificial.

But we'll see on #2 - no doubt that some of it looks and sounds pretty awesome.

GW1 was completely instanced so there wasn't really a mix. The persistent areas only served as a chat room. GW2 actually has persistent fighting areas.

But I disagree about dull single player. I recently started playing Eye of the North campaign and the dungeons are really fun. The artwork is incredible too. This expansion pack added some cool stuff that was really missing in the original campaign. I also love that I can solo with a full party of healer, tank and dps characters. How many other MMOs can you do that in?
  • PR_GMR
    When will 'Guild Wars 2' ship: When it's ready.. of course.. :nod:
  • CeeKay
    GT Member
    a new novel is coming to help ease the pain until the 2012 release.

:P
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    Some in-game footage from some German site, game looks absolutely fantastic once they get past the early portion and into the main game. And seriously it looks like the game is already done and well-polished, what the heck are they sitting on it for? At least it should be in beta by now.

http://vid.buffed.de/v/mvzjEXAUHA7/Guild-Wars-2/Wartower-Spotlight-GC-2010-Folge-7/
  • CeeKay
    GT Member
    on 1295141913:

And seriously it looks like the game is already done and well-polished, what the heck are they sitting on it for?

I bet Huw is paying them not to release it :icon_twisted:
  • Lockdown
    That sure is a lot of gameplay footage. Thanks for linking that, ritt.
  • Huw the Poo
    on 1295142448:

Ha! I've barely anticipated a game as much as this. Not only do I firmly believe it will be the best MMO ever, but also the fact that it's free to play neatly circumvents at least some of the problems I have playing MMOs in general. I'd eat spiders if I thought it'd hasten the development. :)
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    on 1295212462:

on 1295142448:

Ha! I've barely anticipated a game as much as this. Not only do I firmly believe it will be the best MMO ever, but also the fact that it's free to play neatly circumvents at least some of the problems I have playing MMOs in general. I'd eat spiders if I thought it'd hasten the development. :)

Agreed! Well, maybe not the spiders part lol.

Most of you know I'm frothing at the mouth for GW2, and Diablo 3 as well. Both of these games are starting to frustrate me, though, between the footage that's being shown and what's already been announced, both look like sure things to at bare minimum be deep into beta and set for a 2011 release, yet neither will throw us a solid bone to say it will be out this year. D3 in particular, all 5 classes announced, and they are testing PvP Arenas which they claim are not an important part of the design? Come on! Give us a release announcement and beta news NOW.
  • Huw the Poo
    Ritt, would you beta test GW2 if they invited you? I mean proper beta test, not just a glorified demo as the phrase is being used these days. Personally, I wouldn't. Don't want too much spoiled; I've even been avoiding most of the gameplay footage being released.
  • KePoW
    on 1295251291:

Ritt, would you beta test GW2 if they invited you? I mean proper beta test, not just a glorified demo as the phrase is being used these days. Personally, I wouldn't. Don't want too much spoiled; I've even been avoiding most of the gameplay footage being released.

I honestly wouldn't beta test GW2 either, I want to play it new on release since I know it's a purchase anyway.

The games you should beta are the ones where there's a good chance of it sucking.

• rittchard
    GT Member
    on 1295251291:

Good question! For GW2 (and Diablo 3), I would definitely be happy to do "real" beta testing. I'm confident enough in the games' longterm viability that it wouldn't concern me about getting burnt out. I don't see either of these as story games (like Dragon Age), so really I'm more excited about the gameplay and gameplay options and just really playing the hell out of them. If my testing/feedback was somehow able to make the game more fun for everyone in the long term, I would be thrilled.
  • CeeKay
    GT Member
    RELEASE DATE!

naw, just kidding, it's only the Guardian class.

umm.. why does Rittchard have that crazed look in his eyes?

smiley_happymob.gif