Guild Wars 2 (official review on pp 21)

Comments

• Jag
    Jag
    GT Member
    on 1281622897:

so, anyone going to Gamescom 2010 to try the demo? :icon_wink:

No, but if you can hide a USB key on your person, i'll pay for you to go and get a copy...just don't tell me where you hide it!
  • Asharak
    Asharak
    GT Member
    Shamus Young steals a few pixels and nails it.

- Ash
  • skystride
    skystride
    GT Member
    on 1281722120:

Whoa the art director looks like he's a Warlock.
  • MaxSteele
    MaxSteele
    GT Member
    on 1281639417:

on 1281622897:

so, anyone going to Gamescom 2010 to try the demo? :icon_wink:

No, but if you can hide a USB key on your person, i'll pay for you to go and get a copy...just don't tell me where you hide it!

You don't want to end up like this guy!
  • Hotfreak
    Hotfreak
    GT Member
    on 1281727978:

on 1281722120:

Whoa the art director looks like he's a Warlock.

All eastern europeans look like either a warlock or a vampire.
  • CeeKay
    CeeKay
    GT Member
    new QA. for a moment I thought 'wow, it's cool they're wearing Dragon Age t-shirts' :icon_lol:
  • skystride
    skystride
    GT Member
    on 1282575805:

new QA. for a moment I thought 'wow, it's cool they're wearing Dragon Age t-shirts' :icon_lol:

No polearms? I'm out!

What the hell is World vs World?
  • PR_GMR
    PR_GMR
    GT Member
    Introducing the Necromancer.

Good.Lord! :eek:
  • CeeKay
    CeeKay
    GT Member
    on 1282793651:

Introducing the Necromancer.

Good.Lord! :eek:

nice :thumbsup:
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    TTH's Skills, Traits, and Builds - An Exclusive Guild Wars 2 Combat Interview
    http://www.tentonhammer.com/gw2/features/interviews/pax-combat
    [size=10pt]Game Designer Isaiah “Izzy” Cartwright: We definitely have more crowd control than we did in Guild Wars 1. We have fear, stuns, knockdowns, chill, cripple… so there’s more of them this time. Because there’s less healing in the game, one of the ways that you support your allies is by doing some of those things.

That stuff is just going to have to be toned and balanced for PvP and we’re setting up an infrastructure for that. On the inverse, in order for our system to work we’re going to have to have abilities that allow you to break out of conditions as well.
    Izzy: We put conditions all over. Weapon skills have lower recharges because you use them more often. But weapon skills almost feel more like your elite skill from Guild Wars 1 in that they define your role a lot more. If you’re a longbow-wielding warrior, you’re a ranged character that has a lot of AoE. It’s almost like a Searing Flames elementalist in that you’re this type of character and so you’re going to do a lot of burning damage. So that defines a lot of who you are.
    Izzy: Another big system with skills is Traits, and traits have taken on that aspect. Every trait is given out in a very unique way. Like a sword mastery trait gives you plus bonus damage, you have to go defeat five sword masters around the world, and you’ll have to find rumors from different NPCs that tell you where they are. Killing a random sword master will give you an update to the progress to all of that.
    Izzy: I think one of the cool things is just that Guild Wars 2 is just a very different game. There’s a lot of action, and the combat has a lot of different pacing to it. You’ve seen a lot of videos around, but there’s a lot more to it. In the demos here are really keyed down to allow people to get into the game, to play it and get used to it. But there is a lot to this game.

This demo has got a lot more to it than even what you were able to get around to see. And we’re working on PvP and all sorts of different aspects of the game. But I really want people to know that there are hard things in the game, there is PvP in the game, and that there are a lot of different aspects to it.
    [/size]
  • Lockdown
    Lockdown
    GT Member
    This is a great article.

Thanks for the link, BJ.

• CeeKay
    CeeKay
    GT Member
    extend your pen-, er.. the extended experience!
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    on 1285954459:

More drool....

OMG, what a concept:

In Guild Wars 2 we’re fully committed to the concept of rewarding players individually. This is more or less a quick way of saying that we don’t want to design a system where players argue over loot settings, turn to external “out of game” systems to decide who gets what upon downing a boss, or risk spending hours in a dungeon with nothing to show for it due to bad rolls or a ninja looter that hijacked all their treasure.

and

our overall goal is for players in your world to be seen as a boon to you to help you overcome bigger challenges and larger foes, and therefore earn greater spoils for your time spent in the game. We’d much rather that everyone in the same world felt a common bond in their shared land and saw each other as potential allies.

No!!!! Are they trying to completely ruin the MMORPG tradition!?!?! It's blasphemy I tell you!!!!! What's next? Cats sleeping with dogs? Men sleeping with.... other men?!?!?
  • Razgon
    Razgon
    Okay, I have to admit..Guild wars 2 looks like it will set new standards..awesome awesome stuff.
  • morlac
    morlac
    Following Razgon's thoughts...

It's really the only MMORPG I am looking forward to. Pretty burnt out on the genre and don't have the disposable time like i used to but the combination of genre busting design and no monthly fee sounds all sorts of awesome.
  • DonD
    DonD
    GT Member
    I just hope they can live up to the expectations they've set.
  • skystride
    skystride
    GT Member
    Even if it lives up to 1/3 the expectations, it's going to be one awesome game!
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    on 1273790760:

Indeed. When it's released and my copy arrives, I'm determined to find some way to have sex with it.

I was just re-skimming this thread, and came across this comment. I don't know how I possibly could have missed it the first time around but it bears repeating! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
  • CeeKay
    CeeKay
    GT Member
    Just get a costume that looks like the game box and convince your significant other to wear it while having sex.

'no, keep it on.'
  • The Rocketman
    The Rocketman
    GT Member
    on 1286299964:

Just get a costume that looks like the game box and convince your significant other to wear it while having sex.

'no, keep it on.'

"So you want me to dress up as one of those scantily-clad sorceresses or something?"
    "Haha, don't be silly, I don't want that! Now, can you try to look a bit like a dvd case please. Oh yeah."
  • skystride
    skystride
    GT Member
    It's Elementalist. Noob!
  • Lockdown
    Lockdown
    GT Member
    You guys crack me up.

I've been watching lots of youtube vids on this lately, and I am so psyched for it.
    example
    I think most of the videos I am watching are older, and somehow I've missed them... but MAN, this game looks like it's going to be fun.

Actually.... guild wars 2 helped me find this youtube video site thing, which I think has some cool stuff on it if anyone's interested... PlayMassive TV

• Elmo
    Elmo
    I admit to not following the game that closely so far. In the video there were a lot of "waypoints". Is GW2 going to be heavily instanced like GW?
  • skystride
    skystride
    GT Member
    They mentioned it in that video. The only instanced part was the area marked "Home".

Why do they hate people who like playing healers?
  • Elmo
    Elmo
    OK, thanks. I was watching the video without the sound and missed that. :retard:

Watching it again and listening this time!
  • greeneggsnham
    greeneggsnham
    GT Member
    Ok.... watching this and reading some of the dev diaries, this just went from 'Ok, I know I'm going to buy this eventually' to 'Holy cow, when does this come out so I can play this -now-'.

Any preorder bonuses been announced?