Guild Wars 2 (official review on pp 21)

Comments

• PR_GMR
    PR_GMR
    GT Member
    on 1279128218:

Thank you, government dayjob for blocking my ability to see cool game videos during my workday. (/sarcasm) :icon_mad:
  • skystride
    skystride
    GT Member
    Why not go to the official source or is that blocked too?

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/professions/ranger/
  • PR_GMR
    PR_GMR
    GT Member
    on 1279132430:

Why not go to the official source or is that blocked too?

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/professions/ranger/

The Man doesn't allow any type of streaming technology on work computers. They're blocked there also. I'll check them out once I get home tonight.
  • CeeKay
    CeeKay
    GT Member
    Damn the Man, save The Empire!
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Spread Shot through the fire ring - SWEET.
  • Roguetad
    Roguetad
    GT Member
    The GW2 version of Whirling Defense is pretty sweet too.
  • skystride
    skystride
    GT Member
    I kinda like how the characters make comments during fights. In most MMOs your toon is usually mute except for a bit of grunting. Of course too much of the same chatter could get old if they don't randomize it properly.
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    on 1279206989:

I kinda like how the characters make comments during fights. In most MMOs your toon is usually mute except for a bit of grunting. Of course too much of the same chatter could get old if they don't randomize it properly.
    Sounds fun though imho, it's always better to make "character chatter" a player customizable option.

I have been saying the Heroes in the Sky F2P I'm playing these days would've benefited from some optional pilot radio chatter to add some flavor and drama. It seems odd to be in a sky full of WWII fighters and bombers and not a hear a word of radio chatter.

btw, do the bears talk? :icon_smile: (I don't have speakers at work)
  • Destructor
    Destructor
    GT Member
    on 1279207498:

btw, do the bears talk? :icon_smile: (I don't have speakers at work)

Other than 'generic canned growl effect', no.

And I'm really, REALLY looking forward to this game. It looks more and more amazing every update.
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    I thought maybe the bear would say "I'm hungry. Feed me soon, or I'll rip your head off and use it as a helm." :paranoid:

Although I keep an eye on this, I couldn't get into GW. A City of Heroes SG-mate tried to get me into it, but it just didn't take.
  • Roguetad
    Roguetad
    GT Member
    GW had kind of a weird feel for me too. The engine felt like it was designed for point and click, rather than a typical mmorpg designed with WASD and mouse interface. Because of that, I struggled muscling around the camera in GW using WASD and mouse. It just never felt good to me.

• PR_GMR
    PR_GMR
    GT Member
    on 1279220281:

GW had kind of a weird feel for me too. The engine felt like it was designed for point and click, rather than a typical mmorpg designed with WASD and mouse interface. Because of that, I struggled muscling around the camera in GW using WASD and mouse. It just never felt good to me.

Ehhhh. I play GW just fine using WASD. What yo' talkin' about, Willis? :saywhat:
  • skystride
    skystride
    GT Member
    What's wrong with the WASD controls in GW? I actually prefer it to most other MMOs. The PVP in GW is really fast paced and requires fast activation of skills, quick manouvering and good situational awareness. I found the UI perfectly suited to do this but maybe it takes some getting used to initially.
  • Roguetad
    Roguetad
    GT Member
    It's hard to describe...I used WASD and mouse for GW (because of the fast pace), but it just felt weird to me. The camera didn't feel as responsive (or maybe just different?). I think what also contributed to that feeling for me was (as dumb as this sounds) not being able to jump over stuff in the environment. It just felt like the game was designed for mouse and click movement, with WASD as an option. Just my own take.

That said, I still played a ton of GW, and got a lot of value out of prophicies, factions and nightfall.
  • Huw the Poo
    Huw the Poo
    GT Member
    :eek:

GW2 looks better and better with every news release. I'm more excited than I can put into words!
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    on 1279225632:

:eek:

GW2 looks better and better with every news release. I'm more excited than I can put into words!

Me too! It makes me want to cry that it's not coming out this year.
  • PR_GMR
    PR_GMR
    GT Member
    Had a chance to watch the Ranger videos. They're just 'Wow'. Now, are we certain all that chatter is actually in the game and it's not just there for effect? Also, this is the first time I've actually felt sorry for a mob getting killed by pets--On the first and second vids, the sounds are pretty brutal!
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    Meet The Norn:
    http://www.tentonhammer.com/gw2/features/previews/norn
    Their armor looks pretty cool, and they can transform (shapeshift) into various animal spirits.
  • Lockdown
    Lockdown
    GT Member
    After seeing that video focusing on the Serpent Strike and Whirling Defense skills.... I'm not sure I've ever wanted to play a class more than this Ranger in GW2. Holy Crap was that cool! Wow!
  • Destructor
    Destructor
    GT Member
    on 1281491448:

Holy shit that looks amazing. And the guys who did the trailer deserve a raise - what a fantastic trailer visually.
  • CeeKay
    CeeKay
    GT Member
    on 1281492450:

on 1281491448:

Holy shit that looks amazing. And the guys who did the trailer deserve a raise - what a fantastic trailer visually.

every fan who watches that trailer gets a raise :unibrow:
  • Lockdown
    Lockdown
    GT Member
    Holy crap!

If this game is only half as good as it looks like it's going to be.... :cabbage: :cabbage:
  • Asharak
    Asharak
    GT Member
    They're still talking big - a world that is truly persistent and dynamic is the holy grail of MMO mechanics - and it still sounds wonderful but I'm still skeptical. What they claim to have accomplished is extraordinary but there's still a lot of marketing speak and far too little nuts-and-bolts details to be convincing. How, exactly, does a truly dynamic MMO world function in the context of a 1,000 players needing quest material consecutively? How can they create quests that quickly, or do the dynamic components just fold back on themselves in a loop, eventually, giving you a world that is ultimately just as static but simply better disguised? And if repetitively "swinging a sword" is boring, well, you're going to have to do something repetitively is you want to keep a player base playing for hundreds of hours on end; whatever they have in mind might seem fresh and original for the first couple dozen hours but I fail to see how they're going to keep it so indefinitely.

Honestly, what they're promising is so far beyond what any other company has been able to provide so far that I know I'm not going to be convinced until the game is released. My fear is that this could be the reverse of Dragon Age: that was a great game with truly horrible marketing; GW2 is setting itself up to be a brilliantly marketed game that could fail disastrously if the systems they're boasting about don't work as advertised. Of course, that means that I will have to buy the game to find out, which I guess just proves that their trailers, at least, work as intended...

- Ash
  • Lockdown
    Lockdown
    GT Member
    But is the game "really" an MMO? If it's the same as the original Guild Wars - maybe they are not under the same constraints. I admit I haven't followed GW2 religiously, so I know very little of how the mechanics work; but I was under the impression it was going to function quite differently from something like the new Star Wars game, for instance. Are my assumptions false?

• Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    Guild Wars is just... Guild Wars. :icon_smile: Nothing so far suggests they're going to turn it into a More Traditional MMO when their different take was so successful.

The WWII F2P I've gabbed about here is to some extent a bit similar. Airfields and lobbies where you meet up with lots of players. And lots and lots of mission instances (not really interconnected like GW's though). You don't have like 200 fighters trying to kill the same 10 targets or something. Is that really an MMO? Does that even matter? imho, all that really matters is, is the game so much fun you lose track of time? When you get home, do you feel like you can't wait to play it again? :icon_smile:

I never felt that hook with Guild Wars myself, though I hope GW2 will.

What's fascinating about gaming to me sometimes is that something that seems like something that I wouldn't like or that would drive me crazy becomes something I really enjoy (see Starcraft 2). And sometimes things that by all means I should love, that are - to speak - "right in my wheelhouse," don't do it for me. I'd throw stuff like Guild Wars and Champions Online into that mix for me.

I very much want to like stuff like GW2 and SWTOR, but perhaps neither will do it for me, and I'll be playing Tera, Vindictus and Black Prophecy next year instead. The gaming world works in funny ways. :icon_smile:
  • Asharak
    Asharak
    GT Member
    on 1281520843:

But is the game "really" an MMO? If it's the same as the original Guild Wars - maybe they are not under the same constraints.

Well, they wrote a fancy design manifesto that said, among other things (this was quoted earlier in this thread, as well):

The first thing you should know about Guild Wars 2 is that, this time around, there’s no question that it’s an MMORPG. It’s an enormous, persistent, living, social world, filled with a wide variety of combat and non-combat activities.

Thus, while I presume there will still be some instances, my understanding is that the main game world will, in fact, be more like that of a "traditional MMO". That certainly is the mechanic that makes the whole "dynamic world" thing seem so difficult to me; if they have, in fact, stuck with the entirely instanced model, then it is quite possible that your personal instances could be tailored to your previous actions. But given that making an "enormous, persistent, living, social world" was part of their design manifesto, that seems unlikely.

Still, I'm not trying to drag down the enthusiasm here. I applaud any serious effort to bring this sort of sophistication to a game and I very much want to see how it turns out. I also continue to applaud their dedication to the no monthly fees model. That, by itself, makes it a very likely that I will buy the game to see if the reality can match the expectations.

- Ash
  • Lockdown
    Lockdown
    GT Member
    on 1281539829:

Still, I'm not trying to drag down the enthusiasm here...

I didn't get the impression you were. More like you were expressing doubts they will be able to deliver what they are selling. Which is understandable I guess. I don't know enough about programming (by a long shot) to know whether or not the things they are proclaiming are plausible or not.

I DO know that I hope they blow us all away. That would be refreshing in this genre to say the least.

• CeeKay
    CeeKay
    GT Member
    so, anyone going to Gamescom 2010 to try the demo? :icon_wink: