Guild Wars 2 (official review on pp 21)

1262728293032»

Comments

• Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member edited October 11
    That is great info Rittchard, thanks!

I have two lvl 80 boosts, and had no idea that they came with gear as well as the levels. I'll definitely try that out tonight. I've always wanted to try a max level Ranger, and get a good gear set for my Warrior. Can you access the xpac content on boosted characters, or do you still have to go through all the main story quests to unlock it?

And out of sheer curiosity, how much do you run dungeons? I'm fairly sure I'm gimping myself by not doing it, but am wondering if it's viable to keep playing without having to jump into PUGs.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    Looked into this a bit more, and there is actually a "trial" period where you can test out that new level 80 character without committing to it. That's awesome, details url-

All of this will hopefully get me back in, as I REALLY want to experience the xpac content.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member edited October 11
    Yup, you can jump right into Xpac content with your fresh 80, and as you noted you can fiddle around with them in the Silverwaste region before you commit to it. They fix the inital build for you so I think that's the only limitation, meaning they don't give you one of every weapon. I think there was a way to get a different weapon but I couldn't find it later, so maybe that's only when you are in Trial mode.

To get to the new xpac zone just start the Path of Fire storyline and the mission will lead you to the Desert AND give you the first mount.

I haven't run a dungeon yet, but I'd really like to. A pal told me that was the way to get better gear but I'm skeptical.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member edited October 12
    Now I can't decide on which class to boost. Lol

Suppose I could jaleays ust buy more boosts if I really don't like what I pick.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member edited October 12
    Wow, jumping into a class at level 80 is...difficult. Spent a couple hours with a Ranger last night, and couldn't really figure out what the hell I was doing. Probably just need to buff one of my existing toons...at least I have somewhat of a clue of how to play them.

Can you buy 80 boosts at the gem store? I read in a couple threads that they're available, but I'll be damned if I could find them. EDIT: Nevermind, you can't buy them.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Shoot, I was hoping you could buy them too, but I can see why they'd limit it.

It can be a bit overwhelming at first so what I did was just use everything the way they set it up and then slowly read up on different skills and options. Eventually I started making a few minor tweaks here and there to skills I liked better. I just started collecting hero points to work on a Druid spec, so
    for now I'm not even using any Druid stuff.

What are your character names, and/or which guild(s) are you in? I can invite you into my guild so we can chat.

Right now I'm playing Rangeritt (Ranger) and Rittgeer (Engineer). Not too difficult to figure out my naming scheme lol.

Just started reading about Fractals, I may give one a try this weekend if I get the time.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member edited October 13
    I'm skinypupy.9024. Stromos (Norn) and Granthl (Asura) are my warriors, Raven Buchbinder is my Revenant (she's the one I just finished the MSQ with), and Byrnle is my "TBD" that I'll use one of the boosts on.

After messing about with Ranger a bit more, I'm realizing that I'm not too crazy about a pet-based class. Engineer looks cool, but I've read that their rotation is really difficult to learn...not sure I'm down for that. Guardian looks cool but also tanky, which isn't really my thing. We'll see what I land on.

I'm in the ELE (Everyone Love Everyone) and MAGI (Mindless and Generic Identity) guilds, but have no real attachment to either. I joined from a random zone tell, and neither has been particularly friendly to noobs.

I'll try to track you down.

EDIT: One additional note on the level 80 boosts that I just discovered. If you use them on an existing level 80 character, they provide you with all the goodies (dyes, harvesting tools, etc), but NOT the armor and weapons. Which leaves me in a quandary. I was going to use on on my Revenant to get a set of quality 80 gear. She has explored 65% of the map so far. So do I:

a) Use the boost on a brand new character to get all the good Revenant gear but lose 100+ hours of map progress and waypoints

OR

b) Continue to play with my current Revenant (keeping all my waypoints) and not have decent gear.

It'll probably have to be "A", simply because I can't progress in HoT with my current gear and can't afford to buy anything that's worth a crap. Not crazy about having to make that choice, tbh.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    From what I read you should still get a pack of exotic equipment if you use on your level 80, it just won’t be equipped. At least that’s what it said in the wiki and on this thread:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/8759/using-level-80-boost-on-a-level-80
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    I read through the front page review on PoF and the subsequent feedback. Have to agree the review was premature, but the more I play this game/expansion, the more I wonder if it's even possible to truly give a "complete" review of it without someone spending the rest of their lives playing it lol. We are talking about a game that some people have spent literally THOUSANDS of hours in, and now the developers have released an expansion that adds to, and hypothetically changes/influences pretty much everything in that world. I suppose you could try to focus on just the PvE content that was added as part of the expansion for a review, but it's difficult to say where to draw the line. For instance, since every class has a new elite specialization that can be used in all the game modes, it stands to reason that a "full" review would include details on each one and how it functions in different kinds of content.

Then there's the mounts. These are game changers in a way not seen before in previous MMORPGs. Each mount offers access to different type of areas, and sometimes a combination of mounts is required to get somewhere. It really changes the way you look at the entire world. And again, you could review this solely in the PoF areas, but really to be "complete" you'd want to revisit old areas to see how it is affected. It's essentially a game in itself.

I haven't even touched raid content, dungeons, PvP, etc etc. and just scratched the surface in the main storyline. There's just so much of everything, maybe even too much. More importantly, the ways any individual chooses to focus on the content can completely change the way the game is experienced. I know some people are only in it for the PvP, and others the PvE. And even within each of those categories, some people are only interested in a particular kind of PvE or PvP.

I just don't see how anyone could review all of that material (and process it) in a meaningful way for everyone.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    rittchard wrote: »
    From what I read you should still get a pack of exotic equipment if you use on your level 80, it just won’t be equipped. At least that’s what it said in the wiki and on this thread:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/8759/using-level-80-boost-on-a-level-80

I can confirm this, used on on my Revenant tonight. Problem is, it doesn't list the equipment in the "rewards" list in-game. So unless you happen to go look online, one would assume you don't get any new gear.

I'm going to start the PoF quest to get the mount, then see if the new gear helps me at all in getting that first HoT point for my glider.

P.S. I've searched for your names a bunch of times, but nothing ever comes up. What's your account name (top right on character login screen)? That's consistent across all toons.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    I think I figured out my biggest challenge with how they structured the HoT content. The first quest requires you to gain a mastery point (i.e. one level) and unlock gliding. There's a shit-ton of world quests in the first HoT zone, so it should be no problem to get the XP to unlock that first level, right?

Problem is, none of these world quests can be done solo, and I have yet to encounter anyone else in the zone who will help with them. As a result; you're basically left having to gain that level by only grinding mobs...which takes FOREVER.

I'm sure this wasn't an issue right after HoT was released (because there were plenty of people doing the world quests), but it's rather obnoxious now. And there's really no way around it, since only XP gained in HoT zones counts towards that first mastery level.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Gratch - I'm rittchard.5418
    I tried to send you a guild invite a couple days ago, don't know if I did it right?

I don't remember exactly what I did to get my HoT xp, but I think it was more or less just doing some easy hearts, exploring and then following around (leeching) anytime I see a group of people. I didn't have to grind mobs as far as I recall. The thing that makes HoT even more difficult is that it seems like a lot of spots require you already have the glider to get to, so there's a chicken and egg kind of issue. There's some of that in PoF as well, but it seems easier to get around exploring to get to new spots if you feel like you are getting stuck. HoT seems more difficult to me so I may or may not revisit it later.

In spite of how re-addicted I've gotten to the game, I have to say that the Mastery system is pretty annoying overall. I've gradually gotten used to it, and it definitely gets easier the more you play, and once you have developed the mounts, it can even be fun. It's just really unfortunate that the game has suffered what I'd call "difficulty creep" in that the developers are so focused on endgame and other matters that they have clearly lost sight of the challenges a new or returning player might face. I can easily see someone starting out being overwhelmed and undergeared get too frustrated and quit. All I can say is I think that if you can get over the hump, it gets easier and more and more fun.

I've now set my sights on getting a griffon. I'm not sure how realistic it is, but we'll see. I have all 4 regular mounts at the third tier mastery, which basically means they have their full travel capacity, so theoretically (I think) I should be capable of reaching any spot in the PoF zones.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    I actually had a pretty productive GW2 weekend. I found a bunch of folks doing the nightime stuff in the first HoT zone, and was able to tag along enough to finally get that glider point. Things got quite a bit easier after that, and I'm up to mastery level 7 now. Getting a few mastery points via story has helped as well. What I really wish they'd do is quit tying mastery progressing to the specific zones. The HoT zones can be really frustrating to navigate, and I'd love to be able to earn progress towards my HoT masteries by running around in base game zones.

I dropped some real $$ to get gold and buy a new set of exotic armor with the Berzerker stats (and Scholar runes) that are recommended for Revenant. My DPS is better (especially with the crit buff), but holy shit I'm squishy now. Probably need to adjust my build, but I haven't figured out the best option there yet.

I didn't see an invite from you, but will check tonight.
  • Blackjack
    Blackjack
    GT Member
    I should revisit some year. I enjoyed GW2 for a time and even got into a good, helpful guild.

Around that time, mid-upper level areas in the game started inexplicably giving me severe motion sickness -- no idea, given that nothing earlier in the game caused me problems -- and I quit cold turkey for that reason. I revisited maybe once, but only for a few weeks a couple years back.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    I vaguely recall discussing the motion sickness with you, BJ. I remember finding some settings to try but I don't think we ever resolved it. When I came back this time I noticed I had some motion sickness issues as well, thought I was imagining it at first because it had never happened to me before. I thought it might be because I had switched to a super wide screen monitor, but it wasn't that either. Long story short, I ended up positioning the monitor much further back than I used to have it, but then I had to start wearing my glasses to see everything properly. So it's plausible that there's something that can be adjusted in your physical setup, may need some experimenting.

Game-wise, I'm heading into the last Act of the PoF story. It's been pretty interesting overall, and for longtime fans I believe it makes considerable references to the first game's story as well as all of the previous storylines in GW2. After that I'm gonna try for the griffon mount. I've read some guides but I just can't gauge how difficult it will be for me, we'll see. In the mean time, I spent some real money and bought myself a Halloween witch's broom as a consolation prize if I can't get a griffon lol.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Last night I went through what I believe are the two big final battles in the PoF storyline, at least I hope so. They were insanely brutal, and I ended up dying so many times it was actually more hilarious than it was frustrating. Sometimes I would get insta-nuked as soon as I got back up. Of course all my armor was destroyed so I fought about half of both battles in my underwear. At times it felt and looked like the entire screen was on fire, there was just so much blasting me at once. I'm not quite sure I would call the experience "fun" but it was certainly memorable and after it was over I felt a deep sense of relief. Maybe I just suck but I can't imagine anyone being able to beat those bosses without dying at least a couple times.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    It's convenient that I posted completion of the PoF storyline above because it felt like a lifetime ago. What it means is it took me about 4 days to complete the requirements to get a beautiful GRIFFON mount. I love it so much, but man was it a bitch and a half to complete. I honestly don't know how anyone could do it without a guide (or two) handy. I was constantly staring at the guide to get me through much of it.

Here's the rundown in case you are interested:

36 total pieces needed for the initial collection (actually more like 40 as one of them is a collection within the collection), and then like 10 more after, and finally a boss battle. Each "piece" varies in difficulty. Ten are straightforward, you have to complete a heart in a certain spot and then pay 25 gold for an item, so the total monetary cost is 250 gold. Then there are a bunch of griffon eggs you have to get to, and the spots they are located are generally fairly difficult to reach. You definitely need the level 3 rabbit for many of them, and it's best to have all available just in case. The nice thing is that many of the eggs are reachable by borrowing a griffon, so you get to test drive them. All this, as well as the last two steps, can be done solo with varying degrees of effort. Some of the last few require you to kill a particular mob or complete a particular event, and these can be more challenging if you can't find enough people doing the same ones. It took 4 attempts for me to complete one of these because the other people kept trying (and failing) to complete the optional content. Another one required waiting for a particular mob to "pop" as a bounty, so I had to get lucky for that one.

Long story short, it was a ton of effort (for me), as I rarely have the patience for this kind of thing but for whatever reason I was really adamant that I wanted to complete this. And in spite of, or maybe because of, all the difficulties, I have to say it feels really good.

• rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Don't think anyone here is still playing, but just in case, Arena announced the new season of Living World will start November 28. If you finished the PoF story it's not too difficult to anticipate where the story is headed.

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/living-world-returns-this-november/
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    I finally threw in the towel. I just didn't like the endgame progression system at all.

Which is a bummer, as I thoroughly enjoyed everything up to that point.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    Gratch wrote: »
    I finally threw in the towel. I just didn't like the endgame progression system at all.

Which is a bummer, as I thoroughly enjoyed everything up to that point.

Yeah I don't blame ya - I think the developers built a really strange wall between the main game and the so-called "endgame" elements, and the worst part is I suspect they don't even realize or understand it. It's unfortunate because the same wall prevents a lot of players from returning to the game. I suspect what they don't understand is that there is a class of players (probably a pretty large group of mature professionals if I had to guess) somewhere between traditional casual and hardcore players. We love to get deep into a game but our tolerance for frustration and stupid game design is limited, primarily because our gaming time is so limited and precious. This game really tested my patience and I'm surprised I stayed with it.

What I can say now is, if you ever find a way past that hump, there seems to be a never-ending amount of content and gameplay available, and the more you play, the easier and more accessible everything becomes. Aside from following the ongoing main story, I've now started crafting and structured PvP. I'm also going backwards and doing parts of the expansions and storyline I missed before, and that's opening up a whole slew of other options. I've still yet to touch a single dungeon, and I've been in one raid, and have yet to go back to WvW, which I know I used to enjoy when the game first came out. And I still want to level another class or two up lol.
  • rittchard
    rittchard
    GT Member
    ...and the next Living World chapter is out today, free if you already bought the Path of Fire expansion:

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/releases/November-28-2017/