Guild Wars 2 (official review on pp 21)

1262728293032»

Comments

• Gratch
    GT Member
    Looked into this a bit more, and there is actually a "trial" period where you can test out that new level 80 character without committing to it. That's awesome, details url-

All of this will hopefully get me back in, as I REALLY want to experience the xpac content.
  • rittchard
    GT Member edited October 11
    Yup, you can jump right into Xpac content with your fresh 80, and as you noted you can fiddle around with them in the Silverwaste region before you commit to it. They fix the inital build for you so I think that's the only limitation, meaning they don't give you one of every weapon. I think there was a way to get a different weapon but I couldn't find it later, so maybe that's only when you are in Trial mode.

To get to the new xpac zone just start the Path of Fire storyline and the mission will lead you to the Desert AND give you the first mount.

I haven't run a dungeon yet, but I'd really like to. A pal told me that was the way to get better gear but I'm skeptical.
  • Gratch
    GT Member edited October 12
    Now I can't decide on which class to boost. Lol

Suppose I could jaleays ust buy more boosts if I really don't like what I pick.
  • Gratch
    GT Member edited October 12
    Wow, jumping into a class at level 80 is...difficult. Spent a couple hours with a Ranger last night, and couldn't really figure out what the hell I was doing. Probably just need to buff one of my existing toons...at least I have somewhat of a clue of how to play them.

Can you buy 80 boosts at the gem store? I read in a couple threads that they're available, but I'll be damned if I could find them. EDIT: Nevermind, you can't buy them.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    Shoot, I was hoping you could buy them too, but I can see why they'd limit it.

It can be a bit overwhelming at first so what I did was just use everything the way they set it up and then slowly read up on different skills and options. Eventually I started making a few minor tweaks here and there to skills I liked better. I just started collecting hero points to work on a Druid spec, so
    for now I'm not even using any Druid stuff.

What are your character names, and/or which guild(s) are you in? I can invite you into my guild so we can chat.

Right now I'm playing Rangeritt (Ranger) and Rittgeer (Engineer). Not too difficult to figure out my naming scheme lol.

Just started reading about Fractals, I may give one a try this weekend if I get the time.
  • Gratch
    GT Member edited October 13
    I'm skinypupy.9024. Stromos (Norn) and Granthl (Asura) are my warriors, Raven Buchbinder is my Revenant (she's the one I just finished the MSQ with), and Byrnle is my "TBD" that I'll use one of the boosts on.

After messing about with Ranger a bit more, I'm realizing that I'm not too crazy about a pet-based class. Engineer looks cool, but I've read that their rotation is really difficult to learn...not sure I'm down for that. Guardian looks cool but also tanky, which isn't really my thing. We'll see what I land on.

I'm in the ELE (Everyone Love Everyone) and MAGI (Mindless and Generic Identity) guilds, but have no real attachment to either. I joined from a random zone tell, and neither has been particularly friendly to noobs.

I'll try to track you down.

EDIT: One additional note on the level 80 boosts that I just discovered. If you use them on an existing level 80 character, they provide you with all the goodies (dyes, harvesting tools, etc), but NOT the armor and weapons. Which leaves me in a quandary. I was going to use on on my Revenant to get a set of quality 80 gear. She has explored 65% of the map so far. So do I:

a) Use the boost on a brand new character to get all the good Revenant gear but lose 100+ hours of map progress and waypoints

OR

b) Continue to play with my current Revenant (keeping all my waypoints) and not have decent gear.

It'll probably have to be "A", simply because I can't progress in HoT with my current gear and can't afford to buy anything that's worth a crap. Not crazy about having to make that choice, tbh.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    From what I read you should still get a pack of exotic equipment if you use on your level 80, it just won’t be equipped. At least that’s what it said in the wiki and on this thread:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/8759/using-level-80-boost-on-a-level-80
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    I read through the front page review on PoF and the subsequent feedback. Have to agree the review was premature, but the more I play this game/expansion, the more I wonder if it's even possible to truly give a "complete" review of it without someone spending the rest of their lives playing it lol. We are talking about a game that some people have spent literally THOUSANDS of hours in, and now the developers have released an expansion that adds to, and hypothetically changes/influences pretty much everything in that world. I suppose you could try to focus on just the PvE content that was added as part of the expansion for a review, but it's difficult to say where to draw the line. For instance, since every class has a new elite specialization that can be used in all the game modes, it stands to reason that a "full" review would include details on each one and how it functions in different kinds of content.

Then there's the mounts. These are game changers in a way not seen before in previous MMORPGs. Each mount offers access to different type of areas, and sometimes a combination of mounts is required to get somewhere. It really changes the way you look at the entire world. And again, you could review this solely in the PoF areas, but really to be "complete" you'd want to revisit old areas to see how it is affected. It's essentially a game in itself.

I haven't even touched raid content, dungeons, PvP, etc etc. and just scratched the surface in the main storyline. There's just so much of everything, maybe even too much. More importantly, the ways any individual chooses to focus on the content can completely change the way the game is experienced. I know some people are only in it for the PvP, and others the PvE. And even within each of those categories, some people are only interested in a particular kind of PvE or PvP.

I just don't see how anyone could review all of that material (and process it) in a meaningful way for everyone.
  • Gratch
    GT Member
    rittchard wrote: »
    From what I read you should still get a pack of exotic equipment if you use on your level 80, it just won’t be equipped. At least that’s what it said in the wiki and on this thread:

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/8759/using-level-80-boost-on-a-level-80

I can confirm this, used on on my Revenant tonight. Problem is, it doesn't list the equipment in the "rewards" list in-game. So unless you happen to go look online, one would assume you don't get any new gear.

I'm going to start the PoF quest to get the mount, then see if the new gear helps me at all in getting that first HoT point for my glider.

P.S. I've searched for your names a bunch of times, but nothing ever comes up. What's your account name (top right on character login screen)? That's consistent across all toons.
  • Gratch
    GT Member
    I think I figured out my biggest challenge with how they structured the HoT content. The first quest requires you to gain a mastery point (i.e. one level) and unlock gliding. There's a shit-ton of world quests in the first HoT zone, so it should be no problem to get the XP to unlock that first level, right?

Problem is, none of these world quests can be done solo, and I have yet to encounter anyone else in the zone who will help with them. As a result; you're basically left having to gain that level by only grinding mobs...which takes FOREVER.

I'm sure this wasn't an issue right after HoT was released (because there were plenty of people doing the world quests), but it's rather obnoxious now. And there's really no way around it, since only XP gained in HoT zones counts towards that first mastery level.
  • hepcat
    I read the OO posts and saw your reply about blue borderlands (which I couldn't find when I went to the WvW window...although now it seems I should have been looking for Anvil Rock), but saw nothing about the QT3 server...at least no mention of it after your announcement of the event happening at 8pm eastern.

I didn't check here, though. It's an OO guild so I assumed all the info would be there as well.

It's no biggie though. I still had fun, like I said.