Guild Wars 2 (official review on pp 21)

Comments

• KePoW
    on 1272486514:

on 1272483091:

a little bit on combat mechanics.

Veddy, veddy cool! Game is coming along quite nicely. Check out the new Elementalist page at the GW2 site. You can see the Ele in action, and it's gonna be a badass class to play. Graphics are top-notch!

I can't see how the graphics are top notch in those Elementalist videos. I would call that below average in this year.

It's better than GW1 but that's like literally 5 years old.
  • hepcat
    really? i thought they were great. :~
  • PR_GMR
    on 1272491196:

on 1272486514:

on 1272483091:

a little bit on combat mechanics.

Veddy, veddy cool! Game is coming along quite nicely. Check out the new Elementalist page at the GW2 site. You can see the Ele in action, and it's gonna be a badass class to play. Graphics are top-notch!

I can't see how the graphics are top notch in those Elementalist videos. I would call that below average in this year.

You've got to be smoking crack. 'Cause that looks top-notch.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    OMG I think I just wet my pants looking at that footage!

But unfortunately this new wave of GW2 info is just making me long for it even more. I can't get out of this gaming rut where no matter what I play I feel like I'm really just wishing it was Diablo 3 or Guild Wars 2. Sigh.
  • KePoW
    on 1272492200:

on 1272491196:

What are yall comparing it to? Maybe it's just me, but it certainly doesn't look as good as games like Crysis... and that is over 2 years old now.

Just some other recent games I've played that I think look better than that GW2 footage: Just Cause 2, God of War 3, Assassin's Creed 2, Uncharted 2, etc

Yeah I know a couple of those are console games, but keep in mind that consoles actually have worse graphics than top-notch PC games.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    on 1272501040:

What are yall comparing it to? Maybe it's just me, but it certainly doesn't look as good as games like Crysis... and that is over 2 years old now.

I think some of us are rabid GW fans and looking beyond just the graphical detail, but at the art style, animation and fluidity of the skills/spells that are being cast - so really comparing it mostly to original GW, keeping in mind that GW itself had a fairly distinct artistic style of its own and was locked to a more or less 2.5D-ish perspective. Just imagining myself running around and casting those spells (Phoenix and Static Field in particular) in those environments is almost overwhelmingly exciting lol.

• rittchard
    GT Member
    In other GW2 discussion, any guesses on the other professions? From the professions page it looks like either 6 or 7 different ones. Some kind of barbarian/fighter with the axe but nothing else really looks discernable at the moment.
  • Fez
    on 1272501040:

on 1272492200:

on 1272491196:

Just some other recent games I've played that I think look better than that GW2 footage: Just Cause 2, God of War 3, Assassin's Creed 2, Uncharted 2, etc

Yeah I know a couple of those are console games, but keep in mind that consoles actually have worse graphics than top-notch PC games.

I'm not sure what everyone else is comparing it to, but I'm comparing it to other MMORPGs. Looks very good to me -- especially the animation, which is often more important than the graphics at the end of the day.
  • skystride
    Yeah I was just going to say that, it's a MMO. Comparing it to God of War 3, a single player action game, doesn't make much sense. It's supposed to have siege battles with I don't know how many players attacking/defending a keep. I'd rather have that play out smoothly than become a slide show. Anyway, RPGs haven't really been in the forefront of pushing graphics to the next level. I loved watching those spells come to life in the Elementalist videos.

Someone apparently working on GW2 posted details about the skill slots over at QT3:

1-5 these are determined by what you're holding in your hands. A two handed weapon will give you five skills. A one handed weapon will give you three but whatever you're holding in your off hand gives the remaining two. You can mix and match between main and offhand items to get different combinations. The skills you get are determined by weapon type and profession.

6 - Healing skill. You can choose between several different healing skills. These always have some sort of self heal component to them but can vary wildly other than that. The pool you can choose from is determined by your profession and race.

7-9 - Utility skills. These can cover a wide range of different effects from being purely offensive to support. You get dozens of skills to choose from here, once again determined by your profession and race.

10 - Elite skill. This is a big badass infrequently used skill that has a dramatic impact on a fight. Again you can choose between several of these from a pool determined by your race and profession.

So think of it this way. You've got 5 slots that you can slot freely with the caveat that you have to bring one heal and one elite skill. Then you have a package of five skills that is determined by the weapon set you bring. Most professions can equip two weapon sets and switch freely between them in combat even stringing together combinations of attacks between them. That means you have access to 15 skills at any given time and you make a minimum of 7 choices (max of 9) to determine what those skills are. Yes, we restrict some of your choices to particular categories but there is still choice there. If you use the CCG paradigm to explain our skill system we went from a system with almost no deck building restrictions to one that has (what seem to us) some pretty necessary and sane deck building restrictions. The new system is much friendlier to new players and to those who either aren't interested in the deck building aspect or are simply not good at it. It will also allow us to more easily balance the game and maintain that balance. It still allows advanced players to come up with literally hundreds of combinations to trash their opponents with.
  • Thry
    uhhhh yeah...

put me in the "that looks f'n awesome" crowd.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    Why can't they get this damn game out this year?!?!?!? :mad:
  • Blackjack
    GT Member
    PVP's Scott Kurtz did some strips for the official site updates:
    Guild Wars 2 combat
    http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/combat/part-one/

While I'm interested, I never warmed up to Guild Wars 1. The combat left me cold, and it felt to me more like a long series of instances connected by occasional "chat lobby villages" than an MMO. Games that go too far in either direction (over-instancing, so you don't really feel like part of a big world) or under-instancing (you keep stumbling into other players' quests and interfering with each other -- I found that a big problem in Tabula Rasa and sometimes Age of Conan) are fairly common, it's finding a nice balance that's tough.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    on 1272628681:

While I'm interested, I never warmed up to Guild Wars 1. The combat left me cold, and it felt to me more like a long series of instances connected by occasional "chat lobby villages" than an MMO. Games that go too far in either direction (over-instancing, so you don't really feel like part of a big world) or under-instancing (you keep stumbling into other players' quests and interfering with each other -- I found that a big problem in Tabula Rasa and sometimes Age of Conan) are fairly common, it's finding a nice balance that's tough.

Keep in mind though you are comparing 2 "traditional" MMORPGs - with monthly fees - to a game that had no monthly fees. At the time when GW originally released (what feels like a thousand years ago), there were very few, if any, free to play, MMO-esque type games, so it was pretty ground-breaking at the time to have an MMO feel with no fee, and part of being able to support that financially was the instancing. It's going to be very interesting to see how it plays out in GW2, which they've claimed is more of a "real" MMORPG but will still not have any monthly fee.
  • KePoW
    Has anyone tried GW1 on Windows 7 64-bit?

I downloaded the client the other day and installed it, and I am getting some major *constant* hitching in-game. This is on a brand new desktop PC (i5 750, GTX 275, 8 GB ram).
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    on 1272652799:

I downloaded the client the other day and installed it, and I am getting some major *constant* hitching in-game. This is on a brand new desktop PC (i5 750, GTX 275, 8 GB ram).

Coincidentally enough, I just installed it today, and I'm also on win 7 64bit. I haven't played enough to notice anything but I'll let you know if there's anything weird. Any mode in particular you are playing?
  • KePoW
    on 1272669892:

on 1272652799:

Coincidentally enough, I just installed it today, and I'm also on win 7 64bit. I haven't played enough to notice anything but I'll let you know if there's anything weird. Any mode in particular you are playing?

Thakns rittchard, please let me know if you notice anything. Nothing particular, I just logged in with one of my level 20 characters in the city of Kaineng... and it constantly hitches like every 5-10 seconds.

Since this is a fresh installation, I was wondering if it had anything to do with the background downloading that is going on? Or if it's a Windows 7 64-bit problem in general.
  • notrich
    i vaguely remember back in the day people had problems right after re-installing fresh --- then they would re-install with a slash command that i can't remember right now so it would force the game to download everything... no more long delays zoning... not sure if it affects hitches
  • Huw the Poo
    Goddamn. I've been reading about the events system and watching the elementalist videos and stuff. I really really really want this game. Guild Wars is already in my top 5 of games, and GW2 sounds like it'll be an order of magnitude better. In. Day one purchase. Collector's edition, no matter the cost. IIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNN!
  • skystride
    Wasn't there a command line option to download all the maps in GW1? I am playing on Win 7 64-bit, it runs fine but the constant downloads are annoying.
  • Huw the Poo
    Yeah, -image.
  • CeeKay
    GT Member
    an interview about dynamic events.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    on 1273766664:

an interview about dynamic events.

FINALLY someone is at least attempting to innovate on the conventional questing system, I have been begging for something like this for what feels like years.
  • Huw the Poo
    Indeed. When it's released and my copy arrives, I'm determined to find some way to have sex with it.
  • Thry
    I like everything I'm seeing except the Asura. Out of place and lame.
  • Huw the Poo
    Agreed. There's no place for robots in a game with this sort of setting. I'm absolutely confident that GW2 will be incredible though, so I'll just have to constantly mock those who play as Asura.
  • CeeKay
    GT Member
    on 1273819130:

so I'll just have to constantly mock those who play as Asura.

just refer to them in a Yoda voice 'Ass-U-R-a'.
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    More in depth coverage of the Dynamic Events Engine:

http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/dynamic-events/dynamic-events-overview/

I can barely contain my excitement, seriously! I remember posting ideas very similar to this in terms of NPC AI/Evolution years ago, and having them poo-pooed as being impossible to realize. Well, here it is, and looking very credible coming from Arena Net. And of course I have to say it's a great feeling to have a company like Arena echo my internal thoughts about MMOs almost verbatim, like most recently on my blog post about the mmorpg genre:

http://rittchard.wordpress.com/2009/12/22/what-happened-to-the-mmorpg-genre/
  • skystride
    What I don't understand is what happens when that ogre attacks a house, you decide to not kill it, the house gets destroyed. How long does it stay destroyed in the persistent world? Is it like Warhammer where Public Quests reset every 15 minutes or so?
  • rittchard
    GT Member
    on 1274289513:

What I don't understand is what happens when that ogre attacks a house, you decide to not kill it, the house gets destroyed. How long does it stay destroyed in the persistent world? Is it like Warhammer where Public Quests reset every 15 minutes or so?

This is vague but their response is:

Where other multi-player quest systems were pass or fail - our dynamic events evolve in response to player interaction and the outcomes they achieve. Where previous systems reset and start again and really don't change the world, dynamic events chain and cascade across a zone and leave persistent effects in the game world after the event has ended.

And then they go on in more detail with an example:

In traditional MMOs, when a quest is completed it has no real effect on the game world. You receive your reward and then move on, looking for the next quest to do. The world appears no better or worse for your actions. In GW2, the outcome of every event will directly affect the game world around you. If an enemy dredge army is marching out of their main base, players will be asked to mobilize with their allies and help destroy the army. If the dredge army is defeated, other events will cascade out from there. Players will be able battle their way inside the dredge base, face off against their commander, rescue captured friendly troops being held in the dredge prisons, and even hold the captured base while fighting waves of dredge, who arrive from deep underground to try and take back their home.

If, on the other hand, players fail to destroy the army, it will establish a fort in friendly player territory. From there, the dredge will send shipments of troops and supplies to the fort from the main base while building up walls, turrets, and siege engines to help defend it. Enemy dredge forces will then begin to move out from their newly established fort to attack friendly player locations in the area, sending snipers out into the hills, sending assault team forces to capture friendly player villages, and trying to smash down friendly fortifications with massive dredge walkers. All of these events continue to cascade out into further chains of events where cause and effect is directly related to the player's actions.

For example, if the players do not mobilize to stop the dredge snipers, they'll begin to shoot down all the villagers and merchants in nearby friendly villages. If they fail to stop the dredge assault teams from capturing a village, players will need to lead a force to help liberate the town and free the villagers. All of this content is derived from a single initial event - the dredge army marching through the map.

So for your question, I guess it depends on the location and how the engine truly works. It sounds to me like when the house is destroyed, it's gone for good, i.e. no reset button. Maybe the ogres build their own village in that spot, or maybe they just move on. However it's entirely possible that a later Dynamic Event chain gets started which leads to another house being built in that spot, so the effect might be the same, but hopefully the cause is different - in that it's been spawned by an entirely new/different chain of events.
  • KePoW
    I wouldn't get too hyped up or speculate too much about this feature, or wonder how it will get implemented.

I've heard lots of MMOs promise many things before. Just relax and wait until the game comes out. Plenty of other fun games and MMOs to play in the meantime.