My current musical obsession (metal)

El-Producto
El-Producto
edited December 2008 in Off-Topic
After absolutely wearing out my Protest the Hero - Fortress, and Dillinger Escape Plan - Ire Works CD's, I've stumbled upon the following which is getting abused in my cd player.

Torche - Meanderthal
01929.jpg

I realize it's probably not news to metal fans.. but this band is just killer. It's the perfect Doom/Stoner Rock band, with just enough Melvins in it for good measure. This album is amazing from start to finish. I'm going to check out their back catalog.

Comments

• Jeff
    Jeff
    GT Member
    Just checked out Meanderthal on iTunes, and I definitely like it. Might just grab this one. Thanks for the heads up.
  • kratz
    kratz
    Yeah, I've heard that band before. Good stuff.
  • Creepy_Smell
    Creepy_Smell
    GT Member
    I nabbed Torche's self titled album from emusic a few months back. Its not my fav stonerrock but I do like them. While I couldn't recall their sound by name but knew I had an album, listening to it does remind me that I have listened to it.

Now back to listening to the Dwarves 'Sugerfix'!!
  • Booner
    Booner
    GT Member
    Check out Kyuss and Fu-Manchu too.

Then, step out and go immediately purchase Corrosion of Conformity's "Deliverance"....it's a really great album. Where most stoner-rock has a mid-western or south-western vibe, CoC does it with a bit of a southern twist and it just kicks all kinds of ass.

Albatross and Clean my Wounds are the most recognizable from the album, but there are several really good ones there. :headbang3:

• Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    on 1229697246:

I'm not into stoner-rock that much, but will absolutely second both of these.
  • El-Producto
    El-Producto
    GT Member
    on 1229697690:

on 1229697246:

I'm not into stoner-rock that much, but will absolutely second both of these.

I'll third them, love both those bands.

Saviours, The Sword, and Boris are some of my other favorites.

Speaking of metal.. has anyone heard the new Amon Amarth album? I hear VERY good things.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    on 1229699404:

The Sword

Saw these guys open up for Metallica a couple months ago. Never heard anything from them other than the song they have in Guitar Hero, but they were absolutely fantastic. In fact, they were by far the best band of the night.
  • El-Producto
    El-Producto
    GT Member
    on 1229701273:

on 1229699404:

The Sword

Saw these guys open up for Metallica a couple months ago. Never heard anything from them other than the song they have in Guitar Hero, but they were absolutely fantastic. In fact, they were by far the best band of the night.

The Sword if one of my favorite bands of all time. Both of their albums are absolutely STELLAR, and every metal fan owes it to themselves to own them.

I really wish Wolfmother would come out with some new stuff.
  • kratz
    kratz
    Yeah, the latest Sword record is my favorite album of 2008.

I'll second Saviours, Fu Manchu ('The Action is Go' is one of my top 20 albums)... I like the guitar stuff in Kyuss, and have a bunch of their albums, but I'm really not a fan of John Garcia's voice. I saw them in Denver in 1994 and the PA went out, so he couldn't sing for like 15 minutes and the band just played w/o him... and it was great.

There were a lot of great Stoner Rock/Metal albums that came out in the 90s/early 2000s on Frank Kozic's 'Man's Ruin' label... then it went under and they all ended up really hard to find.

Some other bands you guys might like:

Dozer - I've got their 'In the Tail of the Comet' on Man's Ruin... it's awesome. Looks like they have some new stuff out. Super fuzzed out. Awesome. The new album seems pretty badass.
    High on Fire - Ex-Sleep guitarist makes one of the loudest, heaviest bands I've ever seen... You've probably heard of them though. I kind of prefer the earlier stuff, but the new album is goddamned good.
    Sleep - Since I mentioned them... they are one of the big names from the early days of the genre... SUPER sludgy... sabbathy...
    Witchcraft - This one is totally out of left field on this list, but... I've mentioned them before. They sound like Pentagram.
    Nebula This was originally most of Fu Manchu, sans Scott Hill... stonerier... if that's a word... I've seen them live and was disappointed, but there is some great stuff on some of the albums.
    Los Natas - Argentinian band... stoner rock w/ spanish (or is it portugese?)
    Big Business - One of the Karp guys, and the guy who is currently the second drummer for the Melvins
    Karp - Sadly not around anymore, but they pumped out some of the hardest rock around.
    Brant Bjork & The Bros, or Brant Bjork and the Operators, or Che - Start at this link... poke around. Drummer from Kyuss and Fu Manchu, singing and playing guitar. Very stonery, but not metal at all.
    Puny Human - More kind of rock n' roll, but remind me of old Soundgarden sometimes. 'The Bus Will Eventually Crash' is a cool song.
    RPG - Kind of a rock n' roll/stoner riff rock hybrid. Great live band.
    The Valley - Big, fuzzy guitars... kind of a Dinosaur Jr. vibe to some of it. Their EP is super good. Retardedly loud live.
    Baroness - A weird combination of kind of stoner metal sort of stuff with Fugazi instrumental sort of stuff.
    Orange Goblin - Not my favorite, but not bad... one of the names I think of when I think of stoner rock. So does Electric Wizard.

Okay, I'll stop...
  • Creepy_Smell
    Creepy_Smell
    GT Member
    Emusic has lots of stonerrock/metal on the labels Meteor City, Small Stone and Southern Lord. Other labels are there too but those are the main ones I think of. Stonerrock.com is another good site with samples and their K666 shoutcast station is good.
  • kratz
    kratz
    Yeah, small stone is good... estrus has some good stuff... liquor & poker...
  • JCC
    JCC
    GT Member
    I'm not an expert on the stoner/doom genre, but definitely check out the band Trouble if you haven't yet.
  • kratz
    kratz
    Oh, and the band that really reminds me of Torche is ASG... I was a bit let down when I got the whole album, but if you like Torche, you might like it... there are a couple great tracks, like 'Gallop Song'.

myspace: http://www.myspace.com/asgmusic
  • warning
    warning
    Do you guys listen to Boris at all? I love their albun Pink.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    Buddy of mine introduced me to Gojira - The Way of All Flesh over the weekend. Easily the best metal album I've heard in a long, long time.
  • kratz
    kratz
    Here's a good doom band I heard this week:

Lords of the North

http://www.myspace.com/thelordsofthenorth
  • kratz
    kratz
    I'm going to see Mastodon next month, so I was checking out the opening bands, and discovered Kylesa (kai-less-a, according to them). This song rocks my socks.

• Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    I've been on a huge "viking metal" kick lately, and these two albums kick a massive amount of ass:

Turisas - The Vargarian Way
    Finntroll - Nattfodd
  • El-Producto
    El-Producto
    GT Member
    on 1238011141:

I've been on a huge "viking metal" kick lately, and these two albums kick a massive amount of ass:

Finntroll - Nattfodd

The new Amon Amarth is great as well.
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    on 1238011895:

on 1238011141:

Finntroll - Nattfodd

It's pretty good, but I find their particular brand of power-metal starts to sound pretty same-y after a while. I'm a big fan of the other stuff (i.e. fiddles, accordions, wind instruments, etc.) that Turisas and Finntroll mix in.
  • kratz
    kratz
    You do know that those Finnish guys are retarded, right?
  • Specter
    Specter
    GT Member
    on 1238011895:

on 1238011141:

Finntroll - Nattfodd

I'd also recommend:

Viking:
    Ensiferum - s/t, Iron, Dragonheads EP, Victory Songs
    Eluveitie - Spirit, Slania
    Moonsorrow - Suden Uni, Voimasta Ja Kunniasta
    Wintersun - s/t

and for the fans of pirates:

Alestorm - Captain Morgan's Revenge, Leviathan EP

Saw these guys live last weekend with Tyr and Suidakra and they were outstanding. Extremely fun show.

I've spun the last couple Amon Amarth releases a ton. I'm looking forward to seeing them again in April.

np: Dream Evil - Falling

[edit: corrected album name]
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    on 1238013880:

You do know that those Finnish guys are retarded, right?

:saywhat:
  • Gratch
    Gratch
    GT Member
    on 1238014154:

I'd also recommend:

Viking:
    Wintersun - s/t

Alestorm - Curse Of Captain Morgan, Leviathan EP

Saw these guys live last weekend with Tyr and Suidakra and they were outstanding. Extremely fun show.

I've spun the last couple Amon Amarth releases a ton. I'm looking forward to seeing them again in April.

Heard Ensiferum and Tyr, but haven't picked up Moonsorrow or Eluveitie. Will check them out, thanks Specter.

EDIT: Alestorm - Captain Morgan's Revenge. Awesome!
  • Specter
    Specter
    GT Member
    on 1238014931:

on 1238014154:

I'd also recommend:

Viking:
    Wintersun - s/t

Alestorm - Curse Of Captain Morgan, Leviathan EP

Heard Ensiferum and Tyr, but haven't picked up Moonsorrow or Eluveitie. Will check them out, thanks Specter.

EDIT: Alestorm - Captain Morgan's Revenge. Awesome!

Yeah, Alestorm is just a fun band. New album comes out June 2nd. It's called Black Sails At Midnight.

Oh and props on discovering both Turisas and Finntroll. Both excellent bands.

• kratz
    kratz
    Man... I thought this thread was about metal... now... now I just don't know what has happened.
  • pr0ner
    pr0ner
    GT Member
    Do I need to start talking about DragonForce in this thread? :icon_twisted:
  • kratz
    kratz
    I want to shoot myself for saying it, but I think Dragonforce would be a step *up* from pirates...
  • pr0ner
    pr0ner
    GT Member
    on 1238087432:

I want to shoot myself for saying it, but I think Dragonforce would be a step *up* from pirates...

I'll agree with you there, even if you want to shoot yourself.
  • Specter
    Specter
    GT Member
    on 1238081023:

Man... I thought this thread was about metal... now... now I just don't know what has happened.

LOL! Please inform us where we went wrong! :crybaby:

If it's DOOM/stoner you want:

Candlemass
    Cathedral
    Grand Magus
    Spiritual Beggars

But I don't limit myself to one metal genre!

np: Sadus - Certain Death :icon_twisted: