New DVD/BD releases 11/18: The Tropical Edition

Jimmy the Fish
Jimmy the Fish
edited November 2008 in Off-Topic
Greetings movie lovers. It's that time of the week once again. A somewhat quiet week for DVD/BD releases with only a few blockbuster titles. Without further ado, here are the featured titles of the week:

1422881.jpg 1431619.jpg 1419047.jpg 1422133.jpg 1419312.jpg

This week, Wall-E and Tropic Thunder are the two must-haves. Wall-E should look stunning on Blu-Ray. Also one of my personal favorites, Mirrormask, makes an appearance on Blu-Ray. Just a stunningly unique visual movie. Not much in the way of character development or story, but the look of the movie is so bizarre and sometimes disturbing that it is just a visual treat. Bones is one of my favorite shows on TV, so another DVD season set is a no-brainer for me, as is the next Doctor Who series set.

Also of note is a newfangled release of 300, which seems like a love it or hate it movie. For those who loved it enough to want to double dip a limited collector's edition, this new set includes (from the details at Amazon.com) a brand new documentary about the 300 Legend, filtered through History, Graphic Novel and Film, a Digital Copy of the theatrical version, a 52-Page Hardcover Art Book with Personal Message from Director Zack Snyder, Lucite Display with Motion Film Clip, 6 Collectible Photo Cards and all contents from the 2- Disc Special Edition. All for the low, low price of $35. Tempting, so tempting...

Here are the multi-format releases this week. As always, choose your format wisely because if you choose the wrong format and remove the shrink wrap, the store won't exchange it, and yes, I speak from experience :crybaby::

Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2 - fullscreen DvD, widescreen DVD, Blu-Ray
Tropic Thunder - Single disc DVD, 2 disc DVD unrated director's cut, Blu-Ray unrated director's cut
Wall-E - Single disc DVD, 3 disc DVD, 2 disc Blu-Ray, 3 disc Blu-Ray (includes digital copy DVD)

New DVD releases:
300 Limited Collector’s Edition
Bones: Season 3
Burke’s Law: Season 1 Volume 2
Cannibal! The Musical (13th Anniv. Edition)
Charmed: Complete Series
The Clique
Columbia Best Pictures Collection (11 films)
Complete Monty Python’s Flying Circus Megaset
Daniel Boone: Season 6
David Lynch: Lime Green Set
The Devil's Curse
Doctor Who: Complete Fourth Series
Doctor Who: The Infinite Quest
Encounters at the End of the World
Garden Party
Gene Simmons Family Jewels: The Complete Season 3
Gonzo: Life & Work of Hunter S. Thompson
Griffith Masterworks #2
Hannah Montana: Season 1
Hawaii 5-0: Season 5
Heathers: Limited Edition Locker
High Fidelity: Adv.’s Guarneri String Quartet
Jeff Dunham: Very Special Christmas Special
McHale’s Navy
Mister Lonely
Monty Python’s Holy Trinity
Night Gallery: The Complete Second Season
The Odd Couple: Final Season
The Odd Couple: Complete Series
Priceless
Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2
Spongebob Squarepants: Season 5 Vol. 2
Star Trek: The Original Series: Season 3
The Texan (10 discs)
Tropic Thunder
Tropic Thunder (Director’s Cut)
Victor Borge Classic Collection
Wall•E (1 disc)
Wall•E SE (3 disc)
The Who: Kilborn 1977
The Zombie Diaries

New Blu-Ray releases:
Awake
Blue Streak
Encounters at the End of the World
Extreme
Heathers: 20th High School Reunion Edition
Heathers: Limited Edition Locker
Jeff Dunham: Spark Of Insanity
Jeff Dunham: Very Special Christmas Special
Kitaro
Lucky Number Slevin
Mad Money
Mirrormask
National Security
Paris, je t’aime
Paul McCartney: The Space Within Us
Priceless
Revolver
Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants 2
Southland Tales
The Stendahl Syndrome
Tropic Thunder
The Universe: Season 1
Wall•E (2 disc)
Wall•E (3 disc)
The Who: At Kilburn 1977
The Who: Kilborn 1977

Comments

• hepcat
    hepcat
    GT Member
    I'm confused. I thought that Night Gallery season 2 was released last week? I ordered it from DVDPlanet.com last week in order to get the 25 percent off, only to see it listed as "Back Ordered" and with a release date of this week. :~

Other than that, nothin' this week for me. I'll netflix Doctor Who: The Infinite Quest.

By the way, I can only imagine what a blu-ray edition of MirrorMask must look like. 8|
  • PeteRock
    PeteRock
    GT Member
    We're psyched for Wall-E. I expect it will look quite stunning even on the regular DVD (my DVD changers upscale, anyway). Normally I'd pick up Tropic Thunder as well but my wife considers it "her" movie, so it's on her Christmas list.
  • wonderpug
    wonderpug
    GT Member
    What's a digital copy DVD?
  • hepcat
    hepcat
    GT Member
    on 1226947298:

What's a digital copy DVD?

I think that means it comes with a copy you can download to your ipod/zune or whatever.
  • Caine
    Caine
    GT Member
    yup, but you need to check with the studio's site to see which device is supported.

i would like to get both tropic thunder and wall e on blu ray, but i am waiting for a decent sale and/or xmas present. need to leave something for people to get me. :icon_wink:
  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    on 1226945493:

I'm confused. I thought that Night Gallery season 2 was released last week? I ordered it from DVDPlanet.com last week in order to get the 25 percent off, only to see it listed as "Back Ordered" and with a release date of this week. :~

Amazon says it comes out this week. The master list I pull from I guess had it wrong last week. Curse them. Sorry for the confusion.
  • hepcat
    hepcat
    GT Member
    Oh, it's not your fault, Jimmy! There are numerous sites listing it as being released last week AND this week. To make matters even more confusing, I saw it at Best Buy this past weekend. :~
  • Old Negus
    Old Negus
    GT Member
    I'm getting Doctor Who Season 4 ASAP. The new series is outstanding.
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    Is Wall-E fully kid friendly? My 2 year old loves robots.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    Yes, Wall-E is totally kid friendly. Your 2 year old will love it, assuming he can sit still that long. :icon_smile:
  • Simon
    Simon
    GT Member
    Picking up Wall-E BD and renting Tropic Thunder.

Target has some kind of deal that when you buy Wall-E you can get a tree sapling sent to you in the mail. Thought that was cool.
  • Octavious230
    Octavious230
    GT Member
    What no takers for the 90 dollar version of Heathers? :eek: ;) I love that movie and all but damn that's crazy.. :finger:
  • Octavious230
    Octavious230
    GT Member
    on 1226951436:

Yes, Wall-E is totally kid friendly. Your 2 year old will love it, assuming he can sit still that long. :icon_smile:

My two year old sat through the whole thing. Well she did get a bit jumpy at some parts but damn that movie has magical powers or something. I on the other hand only thought it was okay. By far my least fav. Pixar flick. :disgust:
  • Blackadar
    Blackadar
    GT Member
    I thought Wall-E was brilliant. The first 30 minutes or so may be the best part of any movie I've seen this year.
  • disarm
    disarm
    GT Member
    WALL-E on Bluray for me...should look fantastic :icon_cool:
  • Laner
    Laner
    GT Member

I suddenly feel *very* old.
  • DonD
    DonD
    GT Member
    Looking forward to Wall-e on bluray.
  • Nth Power
    Nth Power
    GT Member
    Wall-E 3 disc for me. I dislike the 3rd disc=digital copy trend, but I'll give in for Wall-E.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    on 1226963161:

I suddenly feel *very* old.

Shhhhh, nobody tell Laner that the original Star Wars is 31 years old! ;)