New DVD/BD releases 11/11: How to kill the Star Wars franchise in one easy step

Jimmy the Fish
Jimmy the Fish
edited November 2008 in Off-Topic
Welcome again to the new DVD and Blu-Ray releases. Not a lot of compelling new titles this week, but there are a number of re-releases to agonize over as you consider the merits of double dipping. Featured titles of the week include:

1429665.jpg 1429752.jpg 1420388.jpg 1423188.jpg

Hellboy II- I loved the first one but never saw the sequel as the bad reviews and word of mouth turned me off on it. You have been warned. Maybe a rental at best.
Star Wars: The Clone Wars- Ugh, where to start? Decent animation but clunky, cheesy dialog. On top of that, Star Wars has now been thoroughly kiddie-fied into pre-adolescent drivel. What? Me bitter? Why would I be? Lucas only took some of the best memories of my past and stomped all over them in a mind numbing display of antiseptic, lifeless CGI. No, I'm not bitter at all. That being said, Clone Wars is probably a decent looking Blu-Ray title.
Band of Brothers and Firefly- It's double dippin' time! Two excellent and very popular series that will test your resolve as to whether or not you can afford to shell out $60+ for each again. You know you want them, you Blu-Ray whores!

There are a couple of interesting collections of note for the truly masochistic and rich collectors out there:
Hollywood Musical Collection- For the true collector, this is a massive 61 disc set of what seems like every major musical from American cinematic history. I tip my hat to anyone who can afford this $375 behemoth of a set.
The Sopranos: The Complete Series- For the ultimate Sopranos fan comes this 33 disc collection that will set you back almost $300. Ouch. Of course, this begs the question: who exactly will buy this? Fans of the series bought all the expensive season sets ages ago. People who double dip this set are truly insane.

Here are the multi-version titles of the week. As always, choose the appropriate format wisely:
Hellboy II: 1 disc fullscreen, 1 disc widescreen, 3 disc special editiion, "Golden Army Collector's Set" (3 disc SE + swell looking statuette), SE and CE in Blu-Ray as well (whew).
Star Wars: The Clone Wars: 1 disc widescreen, 2 disc special edition, Blu-Ray SE

New DVD releases:

7th Heaven: Season 7
…and the Earth Did Not Swallow Him
All Mine to Give
The Apprentice
Beer For My Horses
The Boys in the Band
Christmas Cottage
The Cosby Show: Complete Series
Father Knows Best: Season 2
The General: Ultimate Edition (1927)
The Hanoi Hilton
Hellboy II: The Golden Army (1-disc)
Hellboy II: The Golden Army SE (3-disc)
Hellboy II: Golden Army Collector’s Set
Holiday Affair
Hollywood Musical Collection
I Dream of Jeannie: Complete Series
I'm Through With White Girls
I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus
It Happened on 5th Avenue
JFK: Ultimate Collector’s Edition (3-disc)
Johnny Carson Celebrates Christmas
Kidulthood
Lone Ranger (75th Anniv. Ed.)
Love Songs
M Squad: Complete Series (1957-’60)
Mind of Mencia: Season 4
Mister Peepers: Season 2
Mister Foe
MXC: Most Extreme Elimination Challenge - Volume Four & Five
Night Gallery: Season 2
Noelle
Quo Vadis SE
Roman Holiday: Centennial Collection
Sabrina: Centennial Collection
Scrubs: Season 7
Shaun the Sheep: Off the Baa!
Smash Lab: Season 1 - Part 1
Son Of The Beach: Volume 2
The Sopranos: Complete Series
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Star Wars; The Clone Wars SE (2-disc)
StormHawks: Shadow in the Skies CE (2-disc)
Streets of San Francisco: Season 2 Vol. 2
Sukiyaki Western Django
Sunset Boulevard: Centennial Collection
This Christmas
WD Treasures: Chronological Donald-Vol. 4
WD Treasures: MM Club Presents Annette
WD Treasures: Dr. Syn–Alias the Scarecrow

New Blu-Ray releases:

3: The Dale Earnhardt Story
Band of Brothers
Black Christmas (1974)
Chuck: Season 1
Firefly: Complete Series
Freedom (4-discs)
Hellboy II: The Golden Army
Hellboy II: Golden Army Collector’s Set
IMAX: Coral Reef Adventure
IMAX: Dolphins
IMAX: The Living Sea
JFK: Ultimate Coll. Edition
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Sukiyaki Western Django
Supernatural: Season 3
This Christmas

Comments

• Kevin Grey
    Kevin Grey
    GT Moderator
    on 1226342183:

Hellboy II- I loved the first one but never saw the sequel as the bad reviews and word of mouth turned me off on it. You have been warned. Maybe a rental at best.

:saywhat: Bad Reviews? It got an 88% on Rotten Tomatoes and most people I know who saw it said it was better than the first.
  • wonderpug
    wonderpug
    GT Member
    on 1226342183:
    Band of Brothers and Firefly- It's double dippin' time! Two excellent and very popular series that will test your resolve as to whether or not you can afford to shell out $60+ for each again. You know you want them, you Blu-Ray whores!

It's like you can see into my soul.

I think I can resist Firefly since I just rewatched the series a few months ago, but Band of Brothers is pretty damn tempting. Gah.
  • hepcat
    hepcat
    GT Member
    on 1226342516:

on 1226342183:

:saywhat: Bad Reviews? It got an 88% on Rotten Tomatoes and most people I know who saw it said it was better than the first.

Yeah, I'm not sure where that came from. It was pretty well received by many, many critics and fans alike. I loved it. The only thing holding me back from buying this version is the fact that the LAST time a Hellboy movie came out on DVD, an extended version followed it by about a year. I may wait and see if this happens again.
  • kratz
    kratz
    Hellboy II was *horrible*. So bad.
  • hepcat
    hepcat
    GT Member
    Well, now we know who Jimmy calls for movie reviews. :icon_lol:
  • coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    on 1226342616:

on 1226342183:

It's like you can see into my soul.

I think I can resist Firefly since I just rewatched the series a few months ago, but Band of Brothers is pretty damn tempting. Gah.

I think I must have Firefly in HD - I'll have my wife get it for me for christmas. I have $250 in amazon credit and it's a hard thing to resist blowing it on crap.
  • PeteRock
    PeteRock
    GT Member
    I'm planning to grab Hellboy II as I enjoyed the first, especially after repeated viewings, and I've heard positive things about Hellboy II. My wife wants it for our collection, anyway, and she'd be disappointed if I didn't pick it up.

When it comes to Star Wars I'm finished with any new chapters. I heard nothing but bad things about The Clone Wars, but mainly the childish tone and immature humor I've heard reference to would really turn me off.

On a side note, a big thanks to Jimmy the Fish for reviving the Tuesday DVD release thread. I know it takes a little work to put together and each week your efforts are greatly appreciated.

I'm just really looking forward to next week. Tropic Thunder and Wall-E. 8| I can't wait. :icon_biggrin:
  • hepcat
    hepcat
    GT Member
    I recently saw a clip of the "gay Hutt" from Clone Wars on youtube. What in god's name were they taking when they decided to create an alien crime lord so obviously based on Truman Capote????

edit: by the way, while were talkin' dvd's, I was in target yesterday and they had the SNL box sets for season 1 and 2 at 17.99 apiece. I picked up season 2.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    You're very welcome Pete. Putting together the list every week is a lot of fun. I am a huge movie fan and collector, so it's not a chore at all.

As for Hellboy II, the local papers panned it and the two people I know who saw it in the theaters thought it was not very good. I am tempted to give it a go. Ah, why not? At least the Blu-Ray edition will look good. Reviews are such an imprecise science. :icon_biggrin:

One reminder: Kung-Fu Panda came out over the weekend, so don't forget to pick it up. It was a highly enjoyable movie and worth a purchase.

Personally, I am okay with double dipping Band of Brother and Firefly on BD. I feel so weak...

• coopasonic
    coopasonic
    GT Member
    on 1226344541:

Personally, I am okay with double dipping Band of Brother and Firefly on BD. I feel so weak...

But now you can regift the DVD sets you have and spread the love! I know I will.
  • PeteRock
    PeteRock
    GT Member
    on 1226344541:
    As for Hellboy II, the local papers panned it and the two people I know who saw it in the theaters thought it was not very good. I am tempted to give it a go. Ah, why not? At least the Blu-Ray edition will look good. Reviews are such an imprecise science. :icon_biggrin:

I think you just have to be into the universe. The first time I saw Hellboy in the theater I enjoyed it but didn't think it was anything noteworthy. But when I watched it again with the wife on DVD we really enjoyed it a lot more. While we haven't seen Hellboy II yet, she really wants it for our collection and based on reviews I've read and word of mouth I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt. I just enjoy the various characters and imagery.

One reminder: Kung-Fu Panda came out over the weekend, so don't forget to pick it up. It was a highly enjoyable movie and worth a purchase.

Really? I rarely enjoy animated features done by anyone other than Pixar and Dreamworks has yet to impress me. Over the Hedge was terrible, I got bored with the Shrek series, I couldn't even make it through the trailer for Bee Movie, and I was worried that Kung Fu Panda would be more of the same crap I've come to expect from Dreamworks. Perhaps it's at least worth a look.
  • hepcat
    hepcat
    GT Member
    on 1226345203:

on 1226344541:

I think you just have to be into the universe. The first time I saw Hellboy in the theater I enjoyed it but didn't think it was anything noteworthy. But when I watched it again with the wife on DVD we really enjoyed it a lot more. While we haven't seen Hellboy II yet, she really wants it for our collection and based on reviews I've read and word of mouth I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt. I just enjoy the various characters and imagery.

Check out the animated movies that Del Toro produced using the voices of the movie's cast. They're quite fun.
  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    Kung-Fu Panda is WAY better than Over the Hedge (junk) and Bee Movie (CRAP). Panda is a nice homage to kung fu movies and Jack Black is hilarious as the panda. Animation is really good as well. KFP was the first movie I ever took my 4 year old daughter to and she loved every minute. Oh, and the adults liked it too.

Dreamworks intends to create a franchise out of the characters, so the inevitable sequels will probably ruin everything eventually.
  • PeteRock
    PeteRock
    GT Member
    on 1226346052:

Kung-Fu Panda is WAY better than Over the Hedge (junk) and Bee Movie (CRAP). Panda is a nice homage to kung fu movies and Jack Black is hilarious as the panda. Animation is really good as well. KFP was the first movie I ever took my 4 year old daughter to and she loved every minute. Oh, and the adults liked it too.

I may have to give it a chance. I've always been a Disney addict, having grown up on all of the great classics, and Pixar has done wonders with redefining what an animated feature can be, incorporating stunning visuals, great storylines, and entertainment and humor for kids and adults alike. I just haven't seen that in Dreamworks' offerings, but perhaps Kung Fu Panda is worth a look. The problem I have is that I can watch any Pixar film over and over again. But I have yet to find a Dreamworks picture worth more than a viewing or two. Hopefully Kung Fu Panda has the replayability I've come to appreciate in Pixar films.
  • Chaz
    Chaz
    GT Member
    Band of Brothers should be here tomorrow from Amazon. I think I'm going to hope that the GF gets me Firefly for Xmas (since she's a big fan too).

Hellboy is on the Netflix list.
  • Rowdy
    Rowdy
    GT Member
    Hellboy II was much better than Hellboy I. If you like creature features, it was a great movie. You said you loved the first one - then the second one should be a no brainer.
  • Nth Power
    Nth Power
    GT Member
    Picking up Sunset Blvd.

Netflixing Hellboy II.
  • hepcat
    hepcat
    GT Member
    Has anyone seen Sukiyaki Western Django? for some strange reason, i'm a fan of Miike. i haven't seen this film, though.
  • Simon
    Simon
    GT Member
    Clone Wars is cool for kids, our six-year old loved the movie and currently the series, but that's about it.

Kung Fu Panda is supposed to be amazing reference quality on BD. We saw and enjoyed it the theatres and I have it queued up.

Netflix sent Hellboy II. I wasn't much of a fan of the first one, but the trailers made the sequel look pretty cool.
  • The Grue
    The Grue
    It's fun to come in here and watch people post about how Clone Wars is pre-adolescent or childish, when the original Star Wars was the same way...it wasn't made for adults, but for kids. Only nostalgia makes you not see that. I still watch childish things as an adult, so it doesn't bother me too much, but the way you guys gloss over some of the facts about Indiana Jones and Star Wars on this forum is amazing. And this is from a guy who has a Star Wars-themed tattoo.
  • Isgrimnur
    Isgrimnur
    GT Member
    on 1226354373:

It's fun to come in here and watch people post about how Clone Wars is pre-adolescent or childish, when the original Star Wars was the same way...it wasn't made for adults, but for kids. Only nostalgia makes you not see that. I still watch childish things as an adult, so it doesn't bother me too much, but the way you guys gloss over some of the facts about Indiana Jones and Star Wars on this forum is amazing. And this is from a guy who has a Star Wars-themed tattoo.

Your portrait is too dark to see it... :nod:
  • dback99
    dback99
    GT Member
    Maybe im off (ok..i know I am), but I really liked Clone Wars. I took my 6 year old daughter (who loves all 6 Star Wars movies...but is partial to the new trilogy) and I agree, Lucas made this for kids. But it was such a blast watching her reaction, and it was just a fun movie, that i was great with it. Check your brain at the door and just go with it. I love Star Wars, but he makes these for kids (hence the marketing and the toys). And since im a big kid, I dig them too. So Clone Wars is a day 1 purchase for me (and her).

-Dback
  • Jimmy the Fish
    Jimmy the Fish
    GT Member
    I'm not denigrating anyone who enjoyed Clone Wars. I enjoy plenty of stuff other people hate. My perspective is that Lucas has made the conscious decision to steer Star Wars and Indiana Jones in a more decidedly kid-friendly direction. The beauty of the original Star Wars and Raiders of the Lost Ark is that Lucas made these movies for kids from an adult perspective. Kind of a nostalgic look back to his own childhood. Star Wars and Raiders work on a more adult level because they speak to the child in the adult from an adult's intelligent level. Of course this becomes more and more debatable with each successive sequel. Sadly, The Clone Wars and the last Indy movie speak to the child in the adult from a child's intelligent level. That for me is the big difference and why I hate what Lucas has transformed those two franchises into.

For my daughter, when she is old enough, I'll encourage her to watch ALL the Star Wars movies and ALL the Indy movies because I know she would enjoy them from her kid perspective. They just won't hold the same meaning to me.

Anyhow, I didn't want this to degenerate into a philosophical discussion on the merits of Star Wars, so I'll stop now. :ninja:
  • Starshifter
    Starshifter
    GT Member
    You guys can be down on Star Wars. I'm not. Never will be. Definitely picking up Clone Wars (Blu Ray) and I Dream of Jeannie (complete series) on DVD.
  • Shkspr
    Shkspr
    GT Member
    on 1226344389:

I recently saw a clip of the "gay Hutt" from Clone Wars on youtube. What in god's name were they taking when they decided to create an alien crime lord so obviously based on Truman Capote????

Andy Warhol had moved into the realm of cliche?
  • hepcat
    hepcat
    GT Member
    on 1226364704:

on 1226344389:

Andy Warhol had moved into the realm of cliche?

wait...are you trying to tell me Warhol was...

naaaaaahhhhh
  • Turtle
    Turtle
    GT Member
    Hellboy 2 had the same problem for me that Hellboy 1 had, very odd pacing decisions that kept taking me out of the story. Not just story pacing, but also things like the timing of the shots. It's just weird since I liked his other movies, like The Orphanage.
  • hepcat
    hepcat
    GT Member
    on 1226391659:

Hellboy 2 had the same problem for me that Hellboy 1 had, very odd pacing decisions that kept taking me out of the story. Not just story pacing, but also things like the timing of the shots. It's just weird since I liked his other movies, like The Orphanage.

he had nothing to do with the actual making of The Orphanage. He was a producer.
  • Lee
    Lee
    GT Member
    I would love to get Band of Brothers, I just don't think I can justify the BR version. Someone tell me it is so much improved over the DVDs that it is a must buy please.
  • hepcat
    hepcat
    GT Member
    Jeebus, how did i miss that Night Gallery Season 2 was released this week!? 8|

thanks to the dvdplanet.com 25 percent off sale with free shipping, i got that and the 3 disc hellboy 2 for 53 bucks total.